The Walking Debate: Your Opinion?

Whether it be cricket, golf, basketball, tennis, boxing or any other sport - this is the place for you.
Dizzys_on_fire
Reserves
Reserves
Team:
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 0

The Walking Debate: Your Opinion?

Post by Dizzys_on_fire »

FOXSPORTS wrote:
McMillan takes a stand
By Robert Craddock
November 23, 2004

NEW Zealand batsman Craig McMillan accused Adam Gilchrist of being "righteous" and angrily defended his decision not to be a "f****** walker" at the Gabba on Sunday.

Gilchrist (left) and McMillan exchange views.

Tapes aired by Channel 9 last night revealed the duo had a sharp exchange of words after McMillan refused to walk when he edged a Jason Gillespie delivery to Gilchrist during New Zealand's second innings collapse in the first Test.

Gilchrist, who has become the most famous walker in world cricket, uttered a short, sharp but inaudible sentence towards McMillan who snapped back with: "Not everyone is a f****** walker, Gilly. Not everyone has to walk, mate."

The tapes also revealed McMillan, who was playing for his career, refused to back down from his stand when he approached Gilchrist at the boundary ropes at the end of the match.

"I just thought you were being a little bit righteous, that's all . . . that's fine," McMillan said to Gilchrist, who replied with: "Hey, (I made) one comment."

Former Test captain Greg Chappell said Gilchrist should be applauded for his stance on walking but his morality should not be used as "a stick to beat up other players".

"He has taken a stand on what he thinks is fit and he should have that right," Chappell said.

"He should be applauded for it but it should not be used as a stick to beat other players up with by him or anyone else.

"That has certainly got to be quashed. I don't think one person's morality can be used by anyone or the media to beat everyone else up.

"It has always been a personal preference. I don't think you will ever get close to a consensus on walking."

Chappell said the walking issue had the potential to "create more problems than it solved".

"I have always been a great believer in you leave it up to the umpires and you accept what you get," he said.

"I don't think an individual can expect anyone else to do it.

"Every player has the right to stand his ground."

Former Test wicketkeeper Ian Healy described the incident as "a storm in a tea cup".

"It has been blown way out of proportion," Healy said. "The only thing I felt was that they should not have sorted it out on the boundary ropes.

"It should have been sorted in the dressingroom."

Cricket Australia chief executive James Sutherland also sensed the incident had been overblown.

"On-field banter has been happening since the game started and it was nothing more than that," Sutherland said.

Australian fast bowler Jason Gillespie said: "It was a bit of gamesmanship.

"I know in the past I've stood my ground when I might have hit the ball and I've copped it from the opposition."

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,86 ... 12,00.html
What are members opinions or thoughts on "walking" and this situation that has come about from Gilchrist sledging McMillan?
Jason Gillespie - 54* (155)

Formerly Uppy80
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Re: The Walking Debate: Your Opinion?

Post by Beaussie »

Dizzys_on_fire wrote:
Chappell said the walking issue had the potential to "create more problems than it solved".

"I have always been a great believer in you leave it up to the umpires and you accept what you get," he said.

"I don't think an individual can expect anyone else to do it.

"Every player has the right to stand his ground."
I'm with Chappell, it should be left to the umpires to decide with the players accepting the umpires decision.
crocodileman

Post by crocodileman »

Being an ex-opening batsman, my view will be influenced by my desire to score runs.

However....

In my years of playing cricket I was given out a number of times (caught behind, lbw and run out) when I knew that I was not out. Similarly, I had some very fortunate (and in a couple of cases almost embarassing) decisions go my way. All in all, I reckon it came out close to being square for the ledger.

I never once walked - indeed, sometimes I did my utmost (through facial expressions and body language) to attempt to convince umpires that I wasn't out. I didn't consider this cheating and I never felt bad when I was given the "benefit of the doubt" even when in my mind, there was no doubt!

My respect does go out to Gilchrist for his noble actions - he has taken a stand and I believe he should be respected for it. Unfortunately, it is self-righteous to expect others to follow his lead. In this regard I totally agree with Ian Chappell.

Gilchrist's actions present more answers than solutions. For example, is it right to appeal for lbw's, runouts, etc when you know or strongly suspect that it is not out. I notice that Gilchrist hasn't stopped appealing for those.

Umpires are there to adjudicate - let them do it, I say!
Dizzys_on_fire
Reserves
Reserves
Team:

Post by Dizzys_on_fire »

crocodileman wrote:
Being an ex-opening batsman, my view will be influenced by my desire to score runs.

However....

In my years of playing cricket I was given out a number of times (caught behind, lbw and run out) when I knew that I was not out. Similarly, I had some very fortunate (and in a couple of cases almost embarassing) decisions go my way. All in all, I reckon it came out close to being square for the ledger.

I never once walked - indeed, sometimes I did my utmost (through facial expressions and body language) to attempt to convince umpires that I wasn't out. I didn't consider this cheating and I never felt bad when I was given the "benefit of the doubt" even when in my mind, there was no doubt!

My respect does go out to Gilchrist for his noble actions - he has taken a stand and I believe he should be respected for it. Unfortunately, it is self-righteous to expect others to follow his lead. In this regard I totally agree with Ian Chappell.

Gilchrist's actions present more answers than solutions. For example, is it right to appeal for lbw's, runouts, etc when you know or strongly suspect that it is not out. I notice that Gilchrist hasn't stopped appealing for those.

Umpires are there to adjudicate - let them do it, I say!
100% spot on.
Jason Gillespie - 54* (155)

Formerly Uppy80
Bridget Jones
Team:

Post by Bridget Jones »

Hayden proved yesterday that the third eye is becoming an Australian tatic that proves that we are the most pompus team of them all. It's embrassing to watch a grown man stage a tandrum worthy of a six old year old.

... ah! New Year's Resolution: drink less... and quit smoking... and quit talking nonsense to total strangers... hehe... ahh...
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

Bridget Jones wrote:
Hayden proved yesterday that the third eye is becoming an Australian tatic that proves that we are the most pompus team of them all. It's embrassing to watch a grown man stage a tandrum worthy of a six old year old.
I didn't catch that on the news Bridget. What happened with Hayden? :?
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Post by King-Eliagh »

During my years of playing I always walked, I really didnt think to look at the umpire. But after reading crocmans view I can definitely respect someone going the other way.

I reckon Gilly's one of the rare top blokes in the Aussie team. There seems to be a few who are racist, and others who seem corrupt. So good on Gilly I say for what he's chosen. I really dont think its that big a thing what he said anyway, its good for the game and really its just a bit of controversy. Commentators and the media sometimes take things way out of proportion.

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?