Did I Hear Right - AFL investigating their own TV Channel???

Australian Football news and discussion.
crocodileman
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 0

Did I Hear Right - AFL investigating their own TV Channel???

Post by crocodileman »

Watching the news tonight and half asleep but they had their Broadcasting Manager saying that they were investigating the logistics of starting their own TV Channel.

No discussion as to whether it was a FTA or Pay TV but he cited examples from the US and other countries as precedents.

Does anyone know anything about this?
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

I hope there is some truth to this story. This would be wonderful for footy fans in the northern states in particular. No more requesting the commercial networks to put the footy on.

I imagine such a venture would be very expensive though. I haven't heard or seen anything about this story yet but if anyone comes by any further info please post it as I'm very keen to find out a bit more about this.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

It seems you did hear right Croc. Very interesting indeed. Probably just talk though to make the bidding networks bid more:
Herald Sun wrote:
AFL may buy station
22 March 2005 Herald Sun
Damian Barrett
http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/ ... 42,00.html

FOOTBALL'S broadcast rights fight took two shock twists yesterday, with the AFL considering owning its own TV station as well as reducing the length of the next deal.
Injuries at your club

In a move similar to the NFL and NBA in the US, the league is analysing either becoming a partner in an established pay-TV station or owning one outright.

Involvement with a station would allow the AFL to control the pay-TV component to its broadcast bundle and to potentially use it as leverage in its dealings with free-to-air networks.

The current broadcast deal encompasses 2002-06 and it had been accepted the next deal would also be five years in duration (2007-11).

But the AFL is assessing the possibility of a shorter-term deal.

AFL chairman Ron Evans confirmed to the Herald Sun yesterday the terms were not locked.

"The options are open. The last period was five years because it suited at the time, but whether it is five years this time is yet to be determined," Evans said.

"It is one of the AFL's options. It is the AFL's rights to be sold, so we are in a position where we can set the terms and conditions to best suit our needs, bearing in mind, the television stations also have got requirements."

Evans said deliberation on the length of the next agreement was not provoked by last week's bombshell announcement of a Channel 10Channel 7 alliance, which left the Nine network on the outer.

"The term is really determined by the technology which is changing so rapidly," Evans said.

"One argument is if you go too long, the technology can change and that can work against you or for you.

"On the other hand, the best arrangement seems to provide a term where both sides can get some benefit."

On the possibility of the AFL taking a share of Fox Footy channel, or running its own station, Evans said: "I don't think I want to comment on that."

It is understood key AFL officials, including chief executive Andrew Demetriou's key advisers on broadcast rights Ben Buckley and Gillon McLachlan, analysed the NFL-owned NFL Network pay-TV station while in the US for last month's Super Bowl.

Fox Footy representatives did not return calls yesterday.

While the Ten and Seven networks are talking down the financial component to their bids, the AFL remains confident of receiving up to $130 million a year when all facets of the deal – free-to-air, pay-TV, internet and other media – are included.

"All the indications from within Australia and also in the US, are that there have been significant increases reported," Evans said. "We have had a couple of independent experts that have indicated that should be the case (with the AFL) as well."

The broadcast rights were discussed by AFL commissioners at a strategic meeting in Melbourne yesterday.
crocodileman
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by crocodileman »

Beaussie wrote:
It seems you did hear right Croc.
Croc hears everything! :lol: :lol:

It would certainly be an interesting development and put the AFL in a very strong position to even further dominate winter sport in Australia.

It would also mean that the AFL could control more fully the negotiation of rights and not be dazzled by the fist full of dollars the networks offer.