It's Time for AFL Action on the Gold Coast

Australian Football news and discussion.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

It's Time for AFL Action on the Gold Coast

Post by Beaussie »

With a bumper crowd on the Gold Coast for the Brisbane Lions v Essendon last night, surely it's clear that the AFL needs to stop talking and start expanding.
Herald Sun wrote:
16,591 fans turned out to watch contest - the Gold Coast's first top-flight AFL match since 1992 when just over 4,000 witnessed the "Bad News Bears'" final appearance at the ageing stadium.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/ ... 22,00.html
Last nights crowd was bigger than the recent NRL trial matches at the same ground, and with a huge Victorian expat community on the Gold Coast - the area is perfect to move in on.

If the AFL don't get in on the Gold Coast now, I worry that they'll be locked out of Cararra for a start as there are plans by the NRL to redevelop the ground into a rectangular field.

Time for action AFL HQ. Gold Coast and Western Sydney with new teams sooner rather than later.

The Southport Sharks with their massive membership and club have been begging for years to be admitted to the AFL. I really wish the AFL would stop pussyfooting around and get moving before it's to late.

Gold Coast = AFL heartland. Time to ensure it stays that way.
footyhead
Team:
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by footyhead »

Gold Coast shouls go first as the Sharks have everything set up and ready to go, including money in the bank.
A second team in Sydney :
Good for the Swans-Good for Football- Good for Sydney!
Dizzys_on_fire
Reserves
Reserves
Team:

Post by Dizzys_on_fire »

Beaussie wrote:
Last nights crowd was bigger than the recent NRL trial matches at the same ground
If the 16,000 figure you've posted is correct, then the above statement needs revising. My elder brother, who has lived at the Gold Coast since 1998 and an avid Panthers fan through and through, went to the Gold Coast Stadium a few weeks back to watch his team play the roosters. There were over 17,000 there closer to 18,000 and it was the second largest crowd ever at that particular ground.
Jason Gillespie - 54* (155)

Formerly Uppy80
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Post by King-Eliagh »

Another tidy, faultless investigation there dizzy. I can see you are starting to learn beaussie will say anything to support his dreams. And if that means lies then so be it for him. He will continually make up figures and we all need to be on our toes with any stat he posts. :lol: :lol:

GoldCoast = Rugby League Heartland!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

It wasn't a lie, merely a mistake in that the statement I made didn't apply to all NRL trial match crowds on the Gold Coast. I do apologise for that. It still is the case though that only one NRL trial match got a bigger crowd than the AFL and it is was only a few hundred more from what I can gather. The other NRL trial matches on the Gold Coast were easily outdone by the AFL.
Dizzys_on_fire
Reserves
Reserves
Team:

Post by Dizzys_on_fire »

Well, to clear the air i've dug up some statistics.

These are trial matches played at Gold Coast Stadium (Carrara) in 2005.

AFL:

Lions -v- Bombers: 16,591

Average: 16,591

NRL:

Panthers -v- Roosters: 17,823
Storm -v- Broncos: 16,155

Average: 16,989

So from that, I wouldn't say that the other NRL trial match was "easily outdone" by the AFL trial, merely by 436 people. Nor would I say the higher NRL trial easily out-drew the AFL match, but it was by 1,232 people. That higher drawing NRL trial of 17,823 was the second highest sporting crowd at the Gold Coast stadium behind the Gold Coast -v- Brisbane Rugby League match in 1994 which drew 22,688 people to the match.

http://www.austadiums.com

Hope that clears things up.
Jason Gillespie - 54* (155)

Formerly Uppy80
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

:lol: :lol: I think apology nnumber 49 since TF started is due here beaussie :lol: :lol:

And what about the stats that havent been checked up? :lol: :lol: :lol:

xman wrote:
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

Dizzys_on_fire wrote:
Well, to clear the air i've dug up some statistics.

These are trial matches played at Gold Coast Stadium (Carrara) in 2005.

AFL:

Lions -v- Bombers: 16,591

NRL:

Storm -v- Broncos: 16,155
So in 2005, the Lions are more popular than the Broncos on the Gold Coast. Glad we cleared that one up. :wink:
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

Stop changing the subject :lol:

And really 400 people does not classify more popular. And I'd hardly say it counts for the whole year 2005?

Anyway when it comes to sidestepping you're not in EG's league. I guess dreams are free. :lol:

xman wrote:
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

I would've thought it was worth noting that in 2005 the Lions have attracted bigger crowds than the Broncos on the Gold Coast. I suppose that's to be expected considering the Lions have drawn bigger crowds than the Broncos for the last 5-6 years.
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

Beaussie wrote:
I would've thought it was worth noting that in 2005 the Lions have attracted bigger crowds than the Broncos on the Gold Coast. I suppose that's to be expected considering the Lions have drawn bigger crowds than the Broncos for the last 5-6 years.
Fair enough point sir bearthur. But I think what me and dizzy's have been referring to is your drastic, misleading, biased, comment on how much the lions 'outcrowded' the broncs. Wouldn't you say? :lol: :lol:

Have you been reading or were you just misunderstood heheheehe :lol:

Keep tryin big fella. :D

xman wrote: