South Sydney - Aussie Stadium or Telstra Stadium?

Rugby League news and discussion.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

South Sydney - Aussie Stadium or Telstra Stadium?

Post by Beaussie »

SMH wrote:
Aussie Stadium fights to stop Bunnies exodus
By Steve Mascord
March 5, 2005
http://www.smh.com.au/news/League/Aussi ... 75997.html

Aussie Stadium has stepped up its bid to keep South Sydney by offering to match Telstra Stadium's financial guarantees - as long as the Rabbitohs attract at least 13,500 fans to home games.

Souths chief executive Shane Richardson is tomorrow expected to recommend a move to Homebush Bay for the next four years when the club holds its annual general meeting in Redfern.

But officials of the Sydney Cricket and Sports Ground Trust revealed last night they planned to forward a revised offer to the foundation club next week after meeting Richardson on Thursday.

"Under our new proposal, if Souths can manage to attract 13,500 to 15,000 people then our offer is on a par with what Telstra [Stadium] is guaranteeing," Aussie Stadium spokesman Greg Campbell said. "They should start to have faith in their own team. Souths should be careful not to abandon their heartland; they are not a western suburbs team."

Campbell said Aussie Stadium and the club had reached "an agreement in principle" midway through last year but Richardson had asked for changes.

Richardson said last night: "I haven't seen their new offer yet so I can't comment on it. I look forward to reading it."

The Rabbitohs' average crowd was only about 10,000 last year, meaning there would still be a significant financial gamble in accepting the Aussie Stadium offer.

NRL chief executive David Gallop said he had spoken with the club "and expressed my reservations about making such a decision based purely on finances".

Ken Edwards, the chief executive of Telstra Stadium, said he was happy with the talks he had held with Richardson. "We've put our best foot forward in talks and we can only wait for Souths' response," he said.

Appears to be a big risk whatever decision Souths make with an average crowd of just 10,000 last year.

10,000 in an 85,000 seat capacity stadium would look very embarrassing for not only Souths but the NRL I would imagine. Staying at Aussie Stadium and hoping for an average of 13,500 - 15,000 also has its risks though. At least at Telstra Stadium the Bunnies are guranteed income no matter what the crowd. Would a move out west alienate their heartland supporters in the inner city?
Dizzys_on_fire
Reserves
Reserves
Team:
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by Dizzys_on_fire »

The location of Aussie Stadium is extremely ideal in terms of identifying the club with its actual name. However I applaud the Bunnies for being realists for once and considering the move to Homebush for the good of the club at this present time.

I believe the plan is to move to Telstra until, or hopefully until, Redfern Oval is redeveloped. The only problem I see with that is that they only want a maximum capacity of around 14,000 for the new ground. Seriously, as time goes on crowds will naturaully increase, especially if the Rabbitohs become a force again. Sheesh, if the Bunnies were regular leaders on the NRL ladder they'd just about need every one of those 83,000 odd seats at Telstra Stadium. They're a massive bandwagon side for half arsed fans and they have plently of fans who are sitting at home waiting for the Bunnies to be "re-born". Pathetic in some ways I spose, but that's the reality.

So I really don't know what direction Souths should take with this. A move to Telstra is sensible for the short-term, but if the long term goal is to move back to Redfern Oval simply for the sake of tradition then Souths better think a bit harder about where they see themselves 20 or 30 years down the track in all aspects.
Jason Gillespie - 54* (155)

Formerly Uppy80
Rugga cactus slapper
Team:

Post by Rugga cactus slapper »

I like the idea, the vfl moved most teams to the big stadiums years ago, it helped get the crowds back up after they were on the move south.

I think it's a good idea to get some of these teams playing at the big stadiums, souths have a big supporter base and when or if they ever come good on the feild, they will pack the joint out.
I love a hard prickly cactus, smack me baby, you piss in my sock and i'll piss in yours.
Rugby Union is full of FREAKS.

The game is crap.

RUGBY LEAGUE IS THE GREATEST GAME

TGG
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Post by King-Eliagh »

From past experience working with the leagues club I really cant see much happening for souths for a long time. They are constantly chopping and changing coaches, ceo's, and players. The football clubs workers are often bickering and there is always some internal drama or crisis going on. I have a soft spot for the bunnies but the whole club needs a complete overhaul instead of the bandaid solutions of blaming, firing, and hiring.

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

Well it's official . South will be playing home games at Telstra STadium as of next season for the next 4 years.

It will be interesting to see what kind of crowds the Rabbitohs attract out at the 85,000 seat stadium. Meanwhile, surely any plans to redevelop Redfern Oval are unrealistic, particularly when Sydney City Council doesn't support it. Perhaps the guranteed income from Telstra Stadium can go someway to financially backing the plan. I would think they'd need alot more money than that though.
crocodileman
Has thanked: 0

Post by crocodileman »

All they'll need to do to get a reasonable crowd is to be thrown out of the competition again! Then all their fairweather friends will start showing up squealing until they're readmitted and then they'll sink into their holes again!

Who cares where they play - they're dead set certainties to win the wooden spoon again!