Peter V’landys: The AFL are scared of competition

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
truthbomber
Banned
Posts: 2072
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:57 am
Team: Cobar Roosters
Location: The Ord river

Re: Peter V’landys: The AFL are scared of competition

Post by truthbomber »

Quolls2019 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:19 am
truthbomber wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:31 am
Quolls2019 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:33 am
No competition?
NRL won the ratings last year and lost everything else: Broadcasting revenue, sponsorship, membership, crowds and head to head far ahead in crowd numbers with the swans in Sydney and the Lions v Broncos and the Suns v Titans are very competitive and thats in Rugby leagues heartland…and the Storm in Melbourne….well thats no competition.
who cares if racistball won the revenue battle
The NRL pocketed 62 Mill in 2023
Heilhitlerball just 23 mill on an extra 250 mill more revenue then the NRL

One NRL club ... the Roosters pocketed 13 mill in profits on operations in 2023
The Swines .... just $38.000
:shock:

yea
thats competitive eh :lol: :lol: :rofl: :rofl: :(/ :(/ :(/
So the only things that count are the only things you think should count?
No wonder in your mind the NRL have no competition….
Unbalanced.
seig heil fumbler

you...
said the NRL only won the ratings war

once again, you were wrong :cool:
User avatar
Quolls2019
Coach
Coach
Posts: 2041
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:20 pm
Team: North Melbourne
Location: Melbourne

Re: Peter V’landys: The AFL are scared of competition

Post by Quolls2019 »

truthbomber wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:52 am
Quolls2019 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:19 am
truthbomber wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:31 am


who cares if racistball won the revenue battle
The NRL pocketed 62 Mill in 2023
Heilhitlerball just 23 mill on an extra 250 mill more revenue then the NRL

One NRL club ... the Roosters pocketed 13 mill in profits on operations in 2023
The Swines .... just $38.000
:shock:

yea
thats competitive eh :lol: :lol: :rofl: :rofl: :(/ :(/ :(/
So the only things that count are the only things you think should count?
No wonder in your mind the NRL have no competition….
Unbalanced.
seig heil fumbler

you...
said the NRL only won the ratings war

once again, you were wrong :cool:
How so?
There are lies, damn lies and then there are ratings.
Rugby league, Australias most popular game in some of North Eastern Australia.
truthbomber
Banned
Posts: 2072
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:57 am
Team: Cobar Roosters
Location: The Ord river

Re: Peter V’landys: The AFL are scared of competition

Post by truthbomber »

Quolls2019 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:12 pm
truthbomber wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:52 am
Quolls2019 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:19 am


So the only things that count are the only things you think should count?
No wonder in your mind the NRL have no competition….
Unbalanced.
seig heil fumbler

you...
said the NRL only won the ratings war

once again, you were wrong :cool:
How so?
:-k

:lol: :lol: :lol: :rofl: :rofl: :(/ :(/ :(/ :(/

if you're too stupid to see yet another failure on your part , about your 50th in a year in these threads
then theres no helping you :(/ :(/ :(/ :(/
User avatar
Quolls2019
Coach
Coach
Posts: 2041
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:20 pm
Team: North Melbourne
Location: Melbourne

Re: Peter V’landys: The AFL are scared of competition

Post by Quolls2019 »

truthbomber wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:13 pm
Quolls2019 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:12 pm
truthbomber wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:52 am

seig heil fumbler

you...
said the NRL only won the ratings war

once again, you were wrong :cool:
How so?
:-k

:lol: :lol: :lol: :rofl: :rofl: :(/ :(/ :(/ :(/

if you're too stupid to see yet another failure on your part , about your 50th in a year in these threads
then theres no helping you :(/ :(/ :(/ :(/
You certainly say a lot, without saying anything.
There are lies, damn lies and then there are ratings.
Rugby league, Australias most popular game in some of North Eastern Australia.
truthbomber
Banned
Posts: 2072
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:57 am
Team: Cobar Roosters
Location: The Ord river

Re: Peter V’landys: The AFL are scared of competition

Post by truthbomber »

Quolls2019 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:54 pm
truthbomber wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:13 pm
Quolls2019 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:12 pm

How so?
:-k

:lol: :lol: :lol: :rofl: :rofl: :(/ :(/ :(/ :(/

if you're too stupid to see yet another failure on your part , about your 50th in a year in these threads
then theres no helping you :(/ :(/ :(/ :(/
You certainly say a lot, without saying anything.
seig heil fumbler

channeling Ronan Keating now ? :lol: :lol: :rofl: :rofl: :(/ :(/ :(/
weekender
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2026 10:37 am
Team: Glasgow Celtic
Location: Gold Coast

Re: Peter V’landys: The AFL are scared of competition

Post by weekender »

I support neither NRL or ALF, however as my better half likes NRL I get exposed to it on TV when not out on the boat. I have noted that NRL has one obsession in the media....every commontator I have heard spends more time telling the audience that RL is the greatest game of all and that the crowd atmosphere is to be listened too with intent, rather than what is actually happening on the pitch. It is filled with so much verbal self promotion that makes me wonder if what is happening on the pitch is unable to promote the game to the viewer. In otherwords, the commercial intent of the NRL and Ch9 seem more important that the game itself. Perhaps that is why major sport status is restricted to 2 states.....and ok perhaps NZ also.
makingnrlfansgowacko
Coach
Coach
Posts: 1149
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2025 8:28 pm
Team: Fremantle
Location: WA

Re: Peter V’landys: The AFL are scared of competition

Post by makingnrlfansgowacko »

Peter V’landys has unveiled his first strategic plan as NRL executive chairman, revealing the code is set for $1 billion in revenue and outlining his vision for a 22-team league by 2035.

And the newly-minted executive chairman told this masthead he is putting a succession plan in place, saying there is a possibility he could walk away from the NRL at the end of his three-year term.

In his most extensive interview since being appointed the code’s first executive chair, V’landys says more expansion is coming with a turbocharged plan to add more teams after the 2032 Brisbane Olympics.

“We’ve got to keep moving forward,” he said.

“If you don’t evolve, you perish.”

GROWTH SPURT

V’landys will preside over a triple expansion strike when the Perth Bears enter the NRL next year, followed by Papua New Guinea (2028) and a 20th franchise slated for the 2029 premiership.

It was widely expected that the NRL would stop at a 20-team league, but a fortnight after his formal coronation as executive chairman, V’landys is hungry for more.

The ARL Commission boss wants to ensure stability by keeping a 20-team competition for the final five years of the NRL’s new $5.3 billion TV rights deal, which expires at the end of 2034.

It’s at that point that V’landys believes the NRL will be able to sustain another ambitious growth phase with a 22-team league in line with a future broadcast deal.

“There’s no doubt in my mind we will go to 22 teams in the next broadcast cycle,” V’landys said.

“The game is going so strongly that I believe we will be in a position to have more teams.

“It may not happen in my time, but we’ve got to keep moving forward and the interest is there (from the expansion bid teams).

“By having 22 teams, you can do a lot of things with the game. We can bring in conferences, and you can play around with the number of rounds to reduce the workload on players.

“It would allow us to also look at fitting in State of Origin and the international calendar.

“The irony is the more teams you have, the more flexibility you can have with the schedule and the draw.”

Asked when the 20th team will be announced, he said: “I’ll be looking at an announcement before we go on Christmas break. The plan is still 2029 (for the 20th team to enter).

“We’re on track.”

PVL THE KING

The installation of V’landys as executive chair has given him unprecedented power.

He is the kingpin of rugby league; able to make executive decisions for the NRL while still having powerful tentacles as chairman of the ARL Commission.

There is a view there should be a separation of powers between the ARLC and the NRL, but V’landys hit back at suggestions he could abuse his position of authority, saying he is driven by the code’s best interests.

“I wouldn’t have taken this role on without the support of the clubs,” V’landys said.

“It was great that it was unanimous.

“I think the clubs appreciate the hard work that’s gone in to get the game to where it is. Their support is crucial and the truth is I wouldn’t have done it otherwise.

“The biggest factor is there’s so many things that haven’t been completed, and you need the corporate knowledge to get it done, especially with negotiations.”

While he’s played a role in negotiating those deal, he wants to implement them.

“Experience is everything,” he said.

“You can’t just put someone in there (as NRL CEO) and expect them to know every aspect of the operation and every aspect of the deals that have been negotiated.

“I have first-hand knowledge and I’ll always do the best thing by the game.”

HIS FUTURE

V’landys served for 22 years at Racing NSW but the crack administrator who saved rugby league from bankruptcy is candid about his future.

His three-year term as executive chair expires in 2029. He revealed he will preside over a succession plan to prepare for his eventual exit.

“At this stage, it’s a three-year arrangement, but it doesn’t mean I have to stay the whole three years,” he said.

“I don’t know what I’m doing tomorrow, so I’m not going to plan three years away. It depends if I’ve been successful. If I haven’t been, well, I shouldn’t be there.

“I’ve got to deliver. If you don’t deliver, you don’t deserve to stay in the job.

“So if I don’t deliver, I don’t deserve to be there.”

His aim is for three years and have a succession plan.

“I haven’t got any specific names (to succeed him), but I’ll be looking at getting the best people possible,” he said.

“Whatever happens, if I was to leave, the organisation would have the corporate knowledge and the necessary talent and experience.

“My biggest objective is to have a really great succession plan and a really great management structure within the NRL, having it as a cost-efficient and effective organisation.

“It’s now a billion-dollar sport. It’s more than just knowing about rugby league.

“You’ve got to be very commercial.”

SUPER LEAGUE SALE

V’landys has set a deadline of October 15 – the day of the World Cup kick-off – for England’s Super League clubs to agree to a $57 million investment package from the NRL.

The executive chairman has one non-negotiable: the London Broncos must be promoted to Super League next year for the rescue package to go ahead.

That request took a dramatic turn on Friday, when England’s RFL ranked the Broncos 16th in their gradings for 2027, behind even Barrow Raiders.

The Super League currently has 14 teams.

“We’re in the final legs of negotiation,” he said.

“It will either happen or it won’t. I’m still hopeful it will happen.

“The sticking point at the moment with the other clubs is London Broncos. We believe they should be in, so that’s the only disagreement we’ve got among us, really.

“We want the Broncos in because there’s 750,000 Australians at any one time in London – a ready-made audience – and they know the Brisbane Broncos.

“All our business models and our analysis requires London Broncos to be part of it. We take a bigger risk if they’re not in the Super League.”

NRL REVENUE

The NRL posted record revenue of $845.6 million this year, but V’landys isn’t satisfied just yet. It is understood the code’s revenue will go north of $900 million next year before recording its first $1 billion turnover in 2028.

It’s a remarkable fiscal revival for a sport that had no assets (it now has $387m) and was two weeks from possible insolvency during the Covid crisis.

“Once the new broadcast deal starts in 2028, we’ll be well over a billion dollars (in revenue),” V’landys said.

“I’m ecstatic for the game. This is not about me. All credit goes to the players and the clubs. They’ve united and put on a show. We always have the best game. We just have to show it.

“Over the next period, I want to return as much money to players as possible and continue investing in junior rugby league, investing in pathways and investing in kids.

“I want more children having the opportunity to play a sport.

“Our expansion into Papua New Guinea is going to be bigger than people realise – the Chiefs will be a superpower of the NRL.”

THE CRITICISM

Amid the bouquets, V’landys has copped his share of brickbats.

He has been described as a dictator who pushes some to breaking point with his unbridled passion and unyielding work ethic.

Potplants have been removed from League Central in place of Steedens. Ties are now compulsory attire, and the staff have a strict 8.30am arrival time.

V’landys admits the stress of public backlash can take a toll, but he makes no apologies to critics whose attacks can get personal.

“Someone said to me, ‘If they’re not talking about you, you’re not doing anything’. So I take it sometimes as a compliment,” he said.

“The only thing that really does perturb me at times is when they get personal about your appearance. I can’t help that. That’s the way I am. I was born that way.”

He recalled how someone on radio recently called him a bogan.

“Well, I’m proud to be a bogan,” he said.

“My dad worked in the steelworks and my mum worked in a cafe. If that’s bogan, well, I’m proud to be a bogan because they provided the work ethic for me.

“I don’t want to be some elitist who looks down their nose at people. One of the things I most cherish in myself as a person is that I treat everyone equally, no matter who they are.

“Since I’ve been doing this role, it’s been seven days a week, 12 hours a day.

“It’s been full-on.

“When I do things, I give it my all. If you want to get the results and the outcomes, you’ve got to put the work in, you’ve got to put the time in and whatever it takes.

“I’ll do whatever it takes to make rugby league a better sport.

“I’m not going to change.”
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 315a0dc87f
makingnrlfansgowacko
Coach
Coach
Posts: 1149
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2025 8:28 pm
Team: Fremantle
Location: WA

Re: Peter V’landys: The AFL are scared of competition

Post by makingnrlfansgowacko »

if you take out the inflation thats, on such a large sum of money, what is the finer details of the deal, Car sales man Pete will have several clauses and indicators he will have to fill for promoses he made, so by contracrts and he will have introduced some 4 or 5 new teams in to the NRL comp, he has been in talks about wanting to buy in to the English Super Rugby League comp, will that be included in to the so what will that include also
Post Reply