Been liked: 51 times

NRL on Channel 7?

Post by Beaussie »

FoxSports wrote:
Seven considers NRL bid
By Dean Ritchie
February 10, 2005
http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,86 ... 14,00.html

THE Seven Network said last night it would consider muscling in on the multi-million-dollar rugby league television rights and stealing them from under the noses of existing holders Channel 9.

Television stations yesterday privately predicted the fight for the game's free-to-air television rights could drive the price to $30million a season.

However, Nine believes the scenario is quite simple - while Kerry Packer wants rugby league, he will retain the rights.

Nine have held the rights since 1998 with the current deal to expire after the 2007 season. The Nine deal is worth between $13m and $15m a season.

Although Seven and Ten were loathe to comment publicly on the issue, sources indicated the contract value would double for the next deal.

The contentious free-to-air rights issue was raised in The Daily Telegraph this week after Brisbane coach Wayne Bennett claimed the NRL should immediately open

negotiations with free-to-air television stations.

Channel 7 director of corporate development, Simon Francis, confirmed his network's interest in rugby league.

"Rugby league is one of the great sports for television," he said.

"We would be more than happy to participate in any negotiations for TV rights of the NRL."

Packer, though, has a wonderful affection for rugby league and Nine has first-and-last bid rights.

Nine feels Seven would be interested in AFL, whose TV rights expire at the end of this season.

Bennett suggested the rights be divided into three categories - NRL, State of Origin, and Test and Tri-Nations matches.

It is unlikely Packer would allow any carve-up of the game.

NRL chief executive David Gallop would not discuss the amount the game would be seeking.

Asked about Seven's $30million price tag, Gallop said: "While that is encouraging, it would not be appropriate for us to go putting price tags on things now.

"Channel 9 have been excellent partners with us through good times and not-so-good times.

"But we are hot property and when the time is right, we will be maximising our opportunity."

No decision has been made on the length of the next rights contract.

Channel 10 declined to comment on whether it would bid for rugby league. Seven is also showing preliminary interest in pinching cricket from Nine. The current contract expires at the end of 2005/06.

Does anyone seriously believe Channel 9 will loose the FTA TV rights to the NRL? Within a week the price has also dropped from the mooted $40m to $30m.

I think Channel 7 is just saying they are interested to push the price up for old Kerry.

And how about Channel 7's "preliminary interest in pinching cricket from Nine"? Once again probably just to force the price up for Channel 9. Cricket sure would be seem strange not being on Channel 9.
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Post by King-Eliagh »

Put it all live on the abc or sbs i reckon....Fuuukcing adds piss me off.

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?
Rugga cactus slapper
Team:
Been liked: 0

Post by Rugga cactus slapper »

I couldn't imagine poor old David Kosh wanting to mention mungo, 7 won't get it cause it rates 4th behind soccer.

die mungo's die :evil: :evil: :evil:
I love a hard prickly cactus, smack me baby, you piss in my sock and i'll piss in yours.
Rugby Union is full of FREAKS.

The game is crap.

RUGBY LEAGUE IS THE GREATEST GAME

TGG
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans

Post by Beaussie »

I'm thinking Channel 7's number one priority atm is getting the AFL rights back.

Does Channel 7 even broadcast Super 12 Rugby which they hold the rights to? :lol:
Rugga cactus slapper
Team:

Beaussie wrote:
I'm thinking Channel 7's number one priority atm is getting the AFL rights back.

Does Channel 7 even broadcast Super 12 Rugby which they hold the rights to? :lol:
I don't care because ive got enough money to have pay t.v.

Only the mungo's need free to air as they are poor westies who need to go to the smith family every day to get a feed :lol:

We don't need anything for free, we have all the money.
I love a hard prickly cactus, smack me baby, you piss in my sock and i'll piss in yours.

The game is crap.

TGG
Rugga cactus slapper
Team:

Fcuk i hope 7 don't get it, they are s h i t and have NFI how to promote a sport let alone give it decent coverage.

And all the ppl on 7 are u***n wankers.

The game is crap.

TGG
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Post by King-Eliagh »

I reckon you're a fucking wanker rugga. Anyone who is so boastfull about having pay tv has to be a bloody wank, and most probably a couch slob. MMMMM couch and pay tv, and potato chips. Thats you isnt it? :lol:

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?
Rugga cactus slapper
Team:

King-Eliagh wrote:
I reckon you're a f****** wanker rugga. Anyone who is so boastfull about having pay tv has to be a bloody wank, and most probably a couch slob. MMMMM couch and pay tv, and potato chips. Thats you isnt it? :lol:
Only just got it back on for the start of the season.

Fcuking FTA is shit, nothing but info s h i t and fcuking queer eye crap.

I'll go without my chips just so i don't have to watch any of the s h i t on FTA again.

The only thing that i wouldn't give up is beer and pot, thats why i drink n smoke cause theres nothing to watch on the fcuking television ever.

It was that bad last week that i actually watched some frigging AFL game, sooooo fcuking boring is television in this cuntry.

As a former rugga fan :^o i find it very amusing about the NO FTA situation, but i suppose if you follow a minority sport, thats what you get.

The game is crap.

TGG
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

Rugga cactus slapper wrote:
Fcuk i hope 7 don't get it, they are s h i t and have NFI how to promote a sport let alone give it decent coverage.

And all the ppl on 7 are u***n wankers.
If Roy Masters in the SMH is correct you wont have to worry about Channel 7 being involved with the NRL. It seems Channel 9 will continue to be the FTA network of the NRL. So much for the massive bidding war that was going to provide the NRL with extra millions for development work etc. Same old Channel 9 for the NRL.
Dizzys_on_fire
Reserves
Reserves
Team:
Has thanked: 0

Post by Dizzys_on_fire »

Beaussie wrote:
If Roy Masters in the SMH is correct you wont have to worry about Channel 7 being involved with the NRL. It seems Channel 9 will continue to be the FTA network of the NRL. So much for the massive bidding war that was going to provide the NRL with extra millions for development work etc. Same old Channel 9 for the NRL.
The new TV rights deal altogther is said to be worth in the vicinity of $90-100M pa. You wouldn't consider that as extra millions? Also, Rugby League will now have double-header telecasts every Friday night plus a return to Monday night football. Well done to the NRL, for once they do something right.
Jason Gillespie - 54* (155)

Formerly Uppy80
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

OK the NRL got an increase in their broadcasting revenue but what happened to the so called bidding war that was meant to happen between Channel 7 and Channel 9. It seems clear Channel 7 were never interested in rugby league. If that wasn't the case wouldn't we have heard about a Channel7 bid?