NRL more popular in Melbourne , then AFL is in Sydney

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
Raiderdave
Coach
Coach
Team: Canberra
Been liked: 0

NRL more popular in Melbourne , then AFL is in Sydney

Post by Raiderdave »

347,000 Melbournians watching the NRL decider

MAN vs NZ 9 SU 2,027,000 1,021,000 347,000 524,000 48,000 87,000

only ..........258,000 Sydneysiders watching the AFL decider :shock: 8-[

COL vs GEE 10 SA 2,595,000 258,000 1,367,000 308,000 297,000 365,000

:?>

:_<> :(/ :_<> :(/ :_<> :(/

:_<> :(/
borgidiom
Reserves
Reserves
Team:

Post by borgidiom »

I wonder how popular NRL will be in Melbourne when Melbourne has a team that was not built on cheating. If they get an average 11k (made that figure up not sure what the real number is) to a game to watch what is arguably the greatest spine (1,7,9) in history, how many people are going to turn up and watch them play during the bad times? Not very many is my guess.
Raiderdave
Coach
Coach

Post by Raiderdave »

borgidiom wrote:
I wonder how popular NRL will be in Melbourne when Melbourne has a team that was not built on cheating. If they get an average 11k (made that figure up not sure what the real number is) to a game to watch what is arguably the greatest spine (1,7,9) in history, how many people are going to turn up and watch them play during the bad times? Not very many is my guess.
they'll be bad times at some stage yes ... but to date they are a club that just oozes on field success & haven't had to deal with this yet.

here they were ....litterally dismantled , & broken ... & still winning the minor premiership
their spine is the games best , but you still need good players around it to succeed , the Storm just seem to be able to make average players .. great , I don't know how .. they just seem to do it year after year.

they'll be there abouts again in 2012 & for the next few years ... so we won't have the hypothetical you're advocating to worry about .. & by then their rusted on support will have grown considerably .. & also this is Melbourne , fickle .. is not part of this cities & its sports fans make up.
Unlike Sydney .... & the horrible decline I see coming for the Swans.
& GWS won't ever suceed to any great heights .. to have a decline.

many a sleepless night ahead for flogballers in NSW :wink:
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Post by King-Eliagh »

Raider I've been a little over exposed to the tv ratings debate of late and have wished it to be in its appropriate sticky thread...but this one certainly deserves it's own thread.

Superb research. It appears to have our resident man who cried wolf aka Beaussie silenced. Those figures are impressive and it's great to see the Melbournians getting right into the spirit of our 'National' Rugby League, which is also inclusive of NewZealand. Borgidiom's post is irrelevant and reeks of jealousy.

:)

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

Comparing apples with oranges. One grand final was broadcast on the less viewer friendly Saturday afternoon whilst the other was broadcast prime time on a Sunday night.

Of interest is the fact that the AFL easily won its timeslots in every market it was broadcast in. The NRL was smashed in many of the markets it was broadcast in.. Anyone see the Adelaide or Perth figures for the NRL. Why does Channel 9 even bother? #-o
Raiderdave
Coach
Coach

Post by Raiderdave »

Beaussie wrote:
Comparing apples with oranges. One grand final was broadcast on the less viewer friendly Saturday afternoon whilst the other was broadcast prime time on a Sunday night.

Of interest is the fact that the AFL easily won its timeslots in every market it was broadcast in. The NRL was smashed in many of the markets it was broadcast in.. Anyone see the Adelaide or Perth figures for the NRL. Why does Channel 9 even bother? #-o
since when has 5pm been at night ? :?
its the afternoon you pelican

& its a non argument
almost all of the AFL finals were played at night
& all were slaughtered by the NRL ...

you lot scrape to a win in the GF .. with your most popular club
up against one of the worst match ups the NRL could put on for TV
just scraped in

if it had been the Storm & Brisbane
our GF would have cracked 4 million .... & you know it :wink:
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

5pm - 7pm is in prime time stupid. You lot got smahed in the tv ratings in every market outside of Sydney and Brisbane for your grand final. Oh and the ratings in Brisbane were also well down on last season.

The AFL on the other hand won every timeslot in every market of Australia. :wink:
Raiderdave
Coach
Coach

Post by Raiderdave »

Beaussie wrote:
5pm - 7pm is in prime time stupid. You lot got smahed in the tv ratings in every market outside of Sydney and Brisbane for your grand final. Oh and the ratings in Brisbane were also well down on last season.

The AFL on the other hand won every timeslot in every market of Australia. :wink:
its not night ... nor prime time
prime time is post 7pm , after the news services

& seriously what the hell would the AFL be up against at 2pm on a saturday to claim it beat anything .... ?
thats right
nothing
Elvis Presley movies .... & brady bunch repeats
no wonder it won every market

if it were on at 5pm ... it would not have beaten anything in NSW & QLD
not a thing. :wink:
AFL Warrior
Captain
Captain
Team: Collingwood
Has thanked: 0

Post by AFL Warrior »

Except NRL #-o
Dogs
Captain
Captain
Team:

Post by Dogs »

Beaussie wrote:
I agree with you Beaussie, AFL should have done much better then they did. With the AFL GF was on Saturdays at 2pm, with nothing else on to compete for viewers, compared to NRL GF on Sunday at 5pm which was in competition with one of the most watch daily TV programs (the News) at 5pm and 6pm on most channel. You still only just managed to roll us in Australia :roll:

Mind you we got another 692K viewers in NZ. So I am assuming channel 9 made a pretty packet for the right to broadcast
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

Raiderdave wrote:
Beaussie wrote:

its not night ... nor prime time
prime time is post 7pm , after the news services
My god, how stupid are you. Prime time runs from 6pm onwards and the lead in from 5pm is considered very important to TV networks hence the battles we've seen with Deal or No Deal against Eddie's Who Wants to be a Millionaire etc, etc. You've clearly got no idea what you're talking about. Surprise, surprise. :roll:
Raiderdave wrote:
& seriously what the hell would the AFL be up against at 2pm on a saturday to claim it beat anything .... ?
thats right
nothing
Elvis Presley movies .... & brady bunch repeats
no wonder it won every market

if it were on at 5pm ... it would not have beaten anything in NSW & QLD
not a thing. :wink:
Yeah, yeah.. Fact remains, the AFL won it's timeslot in every market it was broadcast in... The NRL did not achieve the same result. In fact, the NRL was smashed outside Sydney and Brisbane.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

Dogs wrote:
You still only just managed to roll us in Australia
Only just eh? What planet are you on? You got smashed.
Dogs
Captain
Captain
Team:

Post by Dogs »

Beaussie wrote:
Dogs wrote:
You still only just managed to roll us in Australia
Only just eh? What planet are you on? You got smashed.
Oh sorry I forgot again, only the facts that support AFL are allowed in Beaussie world. :_<> So as AFL is not played in NZ to a level that can be shown on tv those figures are out. As NRL regional figures consistantly kick AFL arse there out. :(/

Good question that you ask, I am on the planet were my game is played overseas, unlike your planet which is in a bubble that spans half of one country. So, if my games played overseas as part of the NRL competition on planet earth, maybe we should be including these figures in any conversation regarding tv ratings going forward. No commitment, but what do you think Beaussie.
Grim Reaper
Coach
Coach
Team:
Has thanked: 0

Post by Grim Reaper »

MUTT do you know what planet you are on? Are there any nrl or wogball..oops soccer ovals on URANUS? :(/
Dogs
Captain
Captain
Team:

Post by Dogs »

Grim Reaper wrote:
MUTT do you know what planet you are on? Are there any nrl or wogball..oops soccer ovals on URANUS? :(/
For the record, I don't follow soccer and your confirming your a racist again. Thats a very clever comment though for you Grim Lying Dribbler. I am impressed.

The only thing I am sure about URANUS is that your head is fair up yours Dribbler.