Western Bulldogs - A Lost Cause

Australian Football news and discussion.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Western Bulldogs - A Lost Cause

Post by Beaussie »

Drop in members a big loss for Dogs
By Karen Lyon
November 20, 2004
http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/
2004/11/19/1100838225957.html?oneclick=true

A decline in membership plus payouts to former members of the coaching staff, including last year's senior coach Peter Rohde, have caused the Western Bulldogs to post a loss of more than $500,000 - despite the $1.5 million financial aid from the AFL.

The Bulldogs had not expected to make a profit in the 2004 season and do not expect an operating profit next season and the club says the $693,364 loss was in line with expectations.

Bulldogs chief executive Campbell Rose said the club was not surprised by the result, but was not happy either.

Despite an increase in revenue, sponsorship and merchandise, the club was hurt by its membership figures.

"In 2003, we recorded a record membership number (of) 21,245. Our expectation in 2004 was that our membership number would continue to grow, but the opposite happened (and) membership dropped by almost 2000 to 19,295 members," said Rose.

Yesterday, AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou continued to back the Bulldogs. He said the AFL was concerned about the drop in membership, but was positive about the future of the club particularly with the new redevelopment of Whitten Oval.

Demetriou also believed the loss figure could be cut next year, with "one-off" payments to former coaching staff no longer part of the equation.

Through Federal and State Government funding, as well as backing from the local council and the AFL, the Western Bulldogs have raised about $20 million to redevelop the ground, and Demetriou and the club are confident it will lead to more revenue streams for the Bulldogs.

The Bulldogs are now likely to push club membership heavily next year.

"Our corporate revenues continue to grow and in Rodney Eade we have a new coach to take our team forward," said Rose.

"However, this result highlights the importance of becoming a Western Bulldogs member.

"If you're someone who loves the Western Bulldogs, we need you all to sign up as a member because it is fundamental to the long-term future of our club."

Seriously, this club, like the Kangaroos, will never make a profit and be able to trade without the assistance of the AFL. It is time the AFL made the decision to force the Bulldogs to either merge or relocate. Why keep wasting money on a club that has no future besides mounting debts and a piddly membership base?

I'd much prefer see the money that is poured into the Bulldogs each and every year, funnelled into a second Sydney team based in Western Sydney. At least in Sydney there is potential to grow the game. I've said it before and will say it again, 10 Victorian teams simply is not sustainable.

If I had my way at AFL HQ, the Kangaroos would be off to Canberra, Hawthorn to the Gold Coast and a new team established in Hobart. Further down the track, I'd like to see the Darwin Crocodiles established, playing home games out of Marrara Oval.
benny_w
Team:
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by benny_w »

It will be like this by 2020

Carlton: Telstra Dome
Collingwood: MCG
Essendon: Telstra Dome
Geelong: Skilled Stadium
Hawthorn: York Park
Melbourne: Telstra Dome
Kangaroos: Manuka (ACT)
Richmond: MCG
St Kilda: Telstra Dome
Sydney: Telstra Stadium
Western Bulldogs: Extinct

Adelaide: AAMI Stadium
Port Adelaide: A newly redeveloped Alberton Oval with space for 50,000 people

Brisbane: Gabba

Fremantle: a newly redeveloped Fremantle Oval
West Coast: Subiaco

A new team will replace the Western Bulldogs and that team will be based at the new stadium at Blacktown. it will be known as the Greater Western Jets
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

benny_w wrote:
It will be like this by 2020

Carlton: Telstra Dome
Collingwood: MCG
Essendon: Telstra Dome
Geelong: Skilled Stadium
Hawthorn: York Park
Melbourne: Telstra Dome
Kangaroos: Manuka (ACT)
Richmond: MCG
St Kilda: Telstra Dome
Sydney: Telstra Stadium
Western Bulldogs: Extinct

Adelaide: AAMI Stadium
Port Adelaide: A newly redeveloped Alberton Oval with space for 50,000 people

Brisbane: Gabba

Fremantle: a newly redeveloped Fremantle Oval
West Coast: Subiaco

A new team will replace the Western Bulldogs and that team will be based at the new stadium at Blacktown. it will be known as the Greater Western Jets
Very interesting Benny. I've heard that Blacktown City Council are fully supportive of a second Sydney team based out there. Have you any further news on these developments? Collingwood seem to be very friendly with the mayor of Blacktown too.

I'm a firm believer that Sydney needs 2 teams for the game to continue its spectacular growth in NSW. The Swans and the AFL alone simply cannot be responsible for the future development of the game in NSW. The AFL needs to be in the news each and every week. Sadly when the Swans are'nt performing well, the media interest in NSW and Sydney in particular goes missing.
benny_w
Team:
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by benny_w »

I do believe that the AFLNSW/ACT wants a team or teams to play out of there once the stadium is built
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

benny_w wrote:
I do believe that the AFLNSW/ACT wants a team or teams to play out of there once the stadium is built
Sounds great. Can you imagine the huge crowds for Sydney v West Sydney games. Surely they'd have to play such games at Homebush.