The AFL still remains the king of Australian sports

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

Australia’s Game 🇦🇺

James McKern

COMMENT: Debate has once again kicked off surrounding what is Australia’s national sport, but it’s blatantly evident that one sport sits above the rest.

And while some arguments are valid and some competitors are worthy, at the end of the day the fact remains … the AFL is and always will be Australia’s national sport.

From fans flocking to games to those tuning in from home, the AFL drawfs its competitions in almost every single category.

Unlike the NRL, the AFL isn’t confined to one Australian coast. It’s spread and appeal reaches as far as the land goes.

It might sound cocky and obnoxious, but when you’re the top dog with no immediate challenger in sight then you’re allowed to be.

No champion in their sport who was at the top of their game was humble, you don’t get to the top by being that way.

Just look at Michael Jordan and Muhammah Ali, absolute killers with their physical traits but even more damaging with their mental state.

That is what the AFL is, the king of kings and a sport that knows it’s place is rightfully at the top of the pile.

That’s not to say the league is resting on its laurels, the AFL is changing and adding more to its mix to attract an even wider audience in coming years.

They’ve thrown down the gauntlet by adding in their own Gather Round, a festival of football that will only grow as the years roll on.

And while the Melbourne Cup has long been touted as the race that stops the nation, a recent survey concluded that the AFL Grand Final is the most significant sporting event Down Under.

The AFL continues to dominate the Australian sporting landscape. Picture by Michael Klein

As the official attendance numbers soar year on year, the viewership numbers have followed suit with a total average audience of 125.5 million across the 2022 season including finals (every game’s audience figure added up).

The facts and figures can go on for days supporting why the AFL is clear atop the rankings for what is the number one sport in Australia.

Even NRL icon Laurie Daley knows the truth, recently stating no other sport in Australia can hold a candle to the AFL.

“It’s the AFL (that’s Australia’s biggest sport). There’s 18 teams, they play in every state around the country. They fill the MCG when there’s a big game, 100,000 people ... we can’t do that in the NRL,” Daley said on The Back Page.

“They don’t have a national team, but what they have got is great support around the country.”

Plain and simple, it’s the AFL’s nation and we’re just living in it.

While a BBQ and beers on a sunny afternoon is arguably the most Australian thing you can do, a close second is sitting around the TV on a Friday night eating fish and chips with the family while watching AFL footy.

The AFL has produced countless iconic moments that will live long on in the history books of this great land.

From Leo Barry you star, to fans storming the field after Lance Franklin’s 1000th goal and even Meat Loaf’s butchery.

Off the field the drama may not come close to that of the NRL, that matters little in the grand scheme of the debate.

Every other sport in the land is doing all that they can to dismantle the king of sport, but as of right now they’re all playing second fiddle and battling it out for a distant silver.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/the-a ... f358a67b78
truthbomber
Banned
Team: Cobar Roosters
Been liked: 57 times

Re: The AFL still remains the king of Australian sports

Post by truthbomber »

written by a fumbling mo^ng jurno
a singlets & noodle arms cheerleader

& irrelevant as a result

no
only the facts will do here & they are these

the fumbling game will end up more then 30 million .... behind .... Rugby league for total sets of eyeballs across Australia in 2023

it is numb 2

enjoy your silver medal fumblers
you should be used to it by now :cool:
truthbomber
Banned

Post by truthbomber »

Laurie Daley is a wanker & Gordon Tallis its totally right

since when is a sport that is popular in .. well.. really only Vicderpia ... the " national " sport ?
a few wasteland desert states don't count

the rest of the country adores Rugby league

nuff said :cool:
leeroy*NRL*
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Been liked: 67 times

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

Opinion Articles, gotta love them
These users liked the author leeroy*NRL* for the post:
Fred (Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:47 am)
Fred
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood
Been liked: 156 times

Post by Fred »

I don't think it really matters does it. The beauty I like about Australian rules is it is played right across the nation at grass roots levels in meaningful numbers and with leagues in just about every region - the same would go for soccer too I assume. For League and union this is not the case. The beauty of living in QLD is choice - all four codes have a foothold - you can go watch any code at the highests level in the southeast at least - and also go watch the local game - at various levels - whether it is your kids playing or going to watch the local seniors play. Which is number 1 - well I don't particularly care but I believe the head of the NRL or ARL -?? stated his aim was to knock of the AFL as the countries number 1 sport.
Veni, vidi, vici
truthbomber
Banned

Post by truthbomber »

Fred wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:18 am
I don't think it really matters does it. The beauty I like about Australian rules is it is played right across the nation at grass roots levels in meaningful numbers and with leagues in just about every region - the same would go for soccer too I assume. For League and union this is not the case. The beauty of living in QLD is choice - all four codes have a foothold - you can go watch any code at the highests level in the southeast at least - and also go watch the local game - at various levels - whether it is your kids playing or going to watch the local seniors play. Which is number 1 - well I don't particularly care but I believe the head of the NRL or ARL -?? stated his aim was to knock of the AFL as the countries number 1 sport.
:hmm:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :(/ :(/
thanks for that load of hogwash fweddy you fumbling idiot

ofc you can watch skinny little unco white noodle armed wankers in singlets in QLD
their daddys & mummys moved there 40 years ago & they are unable to play RL ... its too scary for them.. too physical

they are laughed at in the school yard & wish they could be the cool kids ... the admired kids who play a real sport

but this is not relavent to the question as to which is the biggest sport in the land which is quite obviously rugby league :cool:
Bbear
Seniors
Seniors
Team: brisbane bears
Been liked: 17 times

Post by Bbear »

Australia rules is equivalent the baseball in the USA, participation and fan support all over the country.
Rugby League is equivalent to ice hockey in the USA, reasonable participation numbers and fan support predominantly in the cold Northern states.
Not a significant sport in the rest of the country.
I didn't want a crap name anymore !
Formally RLcrap
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach
Team: The Scottish Puffins
Been liked: 75 times

Post by AFLcrap1 »

Bbear wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 7:52 pm
Australia rules is equivalent the baseball in the USA, participation and fan support all over the country.
Rugby League is equivalent to ice hockey in the USA, reasonable participation numbers and fan support predominantly in the cold Northern states.
Still thrashes fumbleball in ratings
TLPG 🤣liar extraordinaire
You should thank me for publishing your IP

and I never published any actual IP. That's it.
🤣
I was a mod at the time .
Xman wrote
I also gave them to TLPG believing he was still a mod.I admit I made a mistake.
:^o :^o
truthbomber
Banned

Post by truthbomber »

Bbear wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 7:52 pm
fan support all over Australia ?

the 300 orange tsunami fans who attended the midgets game in Sydney last weekend
& the 3000 thuns fans who attended their game on the GC

say you're a deluded fuckwit :lol: :lol: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :(/ :(/ :(/

Vicderpian rules is only followed by morons in the sthn states of Aust & if they've moved to the other states
thats it

it is considered to be a joke in the rest of the country where RL reigns supreme
these are the undisputed facts