Wildcard Round

Australian Football news and discussion.
Fred
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood
Been liked: 156 times

Wildcard Round

Post by Fred »

Thoughts on this Wild Card round thing they’re all taking about this week in the AFL?

Me - I’m like - why? Either you make it or you don’t. But there are plenty supporting it and citing some good points. For me I’ve never like the Grand Final - one day deciding who is the best - prefer EPL soccer”s way- team on top is best at seasons end. So if they are going this wild card thing why not just celerbrate the side that finishes top - have a week off and do it FA Cup Style. You could throw in wildcards and double chances when you get uneven numbers etc.

I think it will come in re: 7 to 10 in bye week though.
Veni, vidi, vici
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Re: Wildcard Round

Post by Beaussie »

I like the idea. The free week already exists before finals and it will make the season more exciting for many more fans of clubs outside the 8. Bring it on. I suspect it could mean more tv dollars too as the tv ratings and crowds would be huge.
Quolls2019
Coach
Coach
Team: North Melbourne
Been liked: 119 times

Post by Quolls2019 »

Fred wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:44 pm
Thoughts on this Wild Card round thing they’re all taking about this week in the AFL?

Me - I’m like - why? Either you make it or you don’t. But there are plenty supporting it and citing some good points. For me I’ve never like the Grand Final - one day deciding who is the best - prefer EPL soccer”s way- team on top is best at seasons end. So if they are going this wild card thing why not just celerbrate the side that finishes top - have a week off and do it FA Cup Style. You could throw in wildcards and double chances when you get uneven numbers etc.

I think it will come in re: 7 to 10 in bye week though.
Rewarding mediocrity.
At least it will get rid of the “dead” week before the finals.
I like the idea of finals, although I think the 8 is too big, without the final system, the season could effectively end very early, like the EPL when 3/4 way through season the “premier” can’t be toppled.
The VFL came up with the first finals system and that has been copied and then varied by many codes throughout the world.
Whilst the fixture is not even, and it can be argued, biased, it is possible that a better team is located outside of the final four so the extended final system does have some merit.
I liked the McIntyre final 8 system because it rewarded the top teams, 1, 2, 3 & 4, with home games in the first found, whilst the current system gives 1st round home games to 1, 2, 5 & 6. Again rewarding mediocrity.

When the AFL goes to 20 (edited) sides will the final series be extended again, with or without the wild cards?
Last edited by Quolls2019 on Sat Jul 22, 2023 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are lies, damn lies and then there are ratings.
Rugby league, Australias most popular game in some of North Eastern Australia.
Fred
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood
Been liked: 156 times

Post by Fred »

All it does is extend the finals to 2 other teams / it’s just another final really.

I see what you say re: being over -Lund way - do maybe a best of three for the Grand Finalists - and just get rid of the bye before the finals. I’d have a final 6 and best of three for all finals.
Veni, vidi, vici
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

I would like to see the finals bye abolished and a best of 3 Grand Final. The latter especially after the disaster that was my clubs Grand Final effort last year. 🙁