The NRL is stronger here than when the Giants started’: Swans, GWS want AFL to lift its game

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
GlobalRugbyLeague
Reserves
Reserves
Team: Manly
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 3 times

Re: The NRL is stronger here than when the Giants started’: Swans, GWS want AFL to lift its game

Post by GlobalRugbyLeague »

Part of the problem for the Giants in Western Sydney is AFLs image. AFL is not seen a cool sport by the average person in Sydney's West. Like if you saw this video. Would it make you want to see the Giants? The AFL songs are so ridiculous.
What works in Melbourne won't always work in other parts of Australia.

Compared to the Penrith Panthers up the road, that have such a slick promotion style and understand Western Sydney.

Fred
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood
Been liked: 156 times

Re: The NRL is stronger here than when the Giants started’: Swans, GWS want AFL to lift its game

Post by Fred »

I think there is a lot wrong with the way Giant”s have been set up. I think their song is the least of their worries.
Veni, vidi, vici
GlobalRugbyLeague
Reserves
Reserves

Fred wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 11:35 am
I think there is a lot wrong with the way Giant”s have been set up. I think their song is the least of their worries.
Yeah I know the song is a minor thing, but to think a cheesy mascot and Melbourne style marketing is going to resonate with Western Sydney is a huge misjudgement.
The name, the mascot, the marketing, the playing in two cities has been a huge embarrassment for AFL.
To make out their code is so superior, well is it really superior like they think now? This has definitely given Soccer & Rugby League fans in the West a good laugh that's for sure!

Former AFL CEO Andrew Demetrius made out they were just going to take over Western Sydney and be the biggest club in the area.. So delusional.
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/dem ... 2hjj1.html
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

You have a point I must admit
Veni, vidi, vici
Bbear
Seniors
Seniors
Team: brisbane bears
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Bbear »

I must a admit that I don't mind the GWS abbreviation, it's grown on me but what I don't like is the Giants moniker.
It's paired with a ghastly terrible mascot and you have ever right to laugh at it ( not with it ) It's all part of a dreadful sub standard marketing campaign that included Israel Folau
The previous AFL boss Andrew Demetrio was very hands on in planning this debacle, not one of the games better chiefs.
I didn't want a crap name anymore !
Formally RLcrap
truthbomber
Banned
Team: Cobar Roosters
Been liked: 57 times

Post by truthbomber »

the G is the laughable inclusion
there is no place called " greater" western Sydney & calling this plastic invented crap franchise " greater" so they could get access to ex pat sthn mongs & their skinny anglo off spring in Canberra made them an instant joke in both places.

a pathetic team
up there with the most pathetic in Australian sport
GlobalRugbyLeague
Reserves
Reserves

Here are some things GWS could change.

Have American style cheerleaders at games.

Change the name to WEST SYDNEY GIANTS

Make the merchandise more like the NFL or NBA merchandise like the Western Sydney NRL clubs have.

Ditch the cheesy GWS song and replace it with a hip hop track.

Change the GWS Giants mascot to something more Western Sydney.

Embrace themselves as a Western Sydney club and distance themselves from Melbourne culture.

Get someone like Dustin Martin to be the face of the team, like Buddy is with the Swans.
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

A couple of good points - especially the name change - like that. Dusty would be good but heading toward end of career - would be good for him to get out of Melbourne though.
Veni, vidi, vici
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach
Team: The Scottish Puffins
Been liked: 75 times

Post by AFLcrap1 »

GlobalRugbyLeague wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 10:47 pm
Here are some things GWS could change.

Have American style cheerleaders at games.

Change the name to WEST SYDNEY GIANTS

Make the merchandise more like the NFL or NBA merchandise like the Western Sydney NRL clubs have.

Ditch the cheesy GWS song and replace it with a hip hop track.

Change the GWS Giants mascot to something more Western Sydney.

Embrace themselves as a Western Sydney club and distance themselves from Melbourne culture.

Get someone like Dustin Martin to be the face of the team, like Buddy is with the Swans.
Lol Dusty who . Most people in Ws would have no idea who he is & probably wouldn’t care .
If the biggest name in AFL (That bald Hills have eyes actor) was recruited by the Thuns & he said he could walk down the street on the GC & no one would know him then no world lol that’s Melb famous vicderpian is going to make one bit of difference .
They have tried many things & they’re going backwards.

It’s an abortion. Has been from the start
TLPG 🤣liar extraordinaire
You should thank me for publishing your IP

and I never published any actual IP. That's it.
🤣
I was a mod at the time .
Xman wrote
I also gave them to TLPG believing he was still a mod.I admit I made a mistake.
:^o :^o
truthbomber
Banned
Team: Cobar Roosters
Been liked: 57 times

Post by truthbomber »

7508 announced as the crowd yesterday at homebush

seriously ?
they're saying that stadium was 1/3 full eh ?

what utter garbage
again they're counting eyes not heads , lucky to be 3500 there

pack these shitbags up & ship them back to vicderpia where most of them are from
they're a joke in W Sydney
GlobalRugbyLeague
Reserves
Reserves

truthbomber wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 6:30 pm

seriously ?

what utter garbage

pack these shitbags up & ship them back to vicderpia where most of them are from
Yeah GWS would have to be the biggest basket case and embarrassment in Australian team sports.

Is no way they will ever gain traction in Western Sydney with the way they are.
Terry
Coach
Coach
Team: Wests Tigers
Been liked: 163 times

Post by Terry »

GlobalRugbyLeague wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:02 am

seriously ?

what utter garbage

Yeah GWS would have to be the biggest basket case and embarrassment in Australian team sports.

Yep. They truly are an embarrassment. The lies they tell about their crowd and membership numbers is truly taking the piss outta the good folk of western Sydney. They treat 'em like fools. Not a good way to win 'em over.

Fumblehouse should close the shameful mob down and eat a large dose of humble pie. But of course 'humble' is not in their dictionary.
GlobalRugbyLeague
Reserves
Reserves

Terry wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:59 pm

seriously ?

what utter garbage

Yep. They truly are an embarrassment. The lies they tell about their crowd and membership numbers is truly taking the piss outta the good folk of western Sydney. They treat 'em like fools. Not a good way to win 'em over.

Fumblehouse should close the shameful mob down and eat a large dose of humble pie. But of course 'humble' is not in their dictionary.
They actually claimed it would be the biggest sporting club in Australia. What a false prediction that has become. :lol: :lol:
Quolls2019
Coach
Coach
Team: North Melbourne
Been liked: 119 times

Post by Quolls2019 »

GlobalRugbyLeague wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:42 am

They actually claimed it would be the biggest sporting club in Australia. What a false prediction that has become. :lol: :lol:
Yes, they certainly got that wrong because it is probably the Swans, at least in NSW.
There are lies, damn lies and then there are ratings.
Rugby league, Australias most popular game in some of North Eastern Australia.
GlobalRugbyLeague
Reserves
Reserves

Quolls2019 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:36 am
GlobalRugbyLeague wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:42 am

Yes, they certainly got that wrong because it is probably the Swans, at least in NSW.
Wrong again, the NSW Blues are the biggest in NSW.
Much bigger crowds and TV ratings than the Swans. :cheers: