Is GWS a Canberra team or Western Sydney team?

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
214Four
Seniors
Seniors
Team: Wests Tigers - Balmain - Western Sydney Wanderers
Been liked: 0

Re: Is GWS a Canberra team or Western Sydney team?

Post by 214Four »

.. double post
Last edited by 214Four on Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Wearing tight shorts is a bootable offense!"
214Four
Seniors
Seniors
Team: Wests Tigers - Balmain - Western Sydney Wanderers
Been liked: 0

Post by 214Four »

I agree with the core of this thread. The giants were supposed to be a western Sydney team, but from almost day dot of the clubs creation, decisions made by both the AFL administration and the giants administration made GWS anything but..

The errors I see gws made are...
Trying to represent both western Sydney and the ACT together that has just meant done GWS stuggles to represent either
I think that one factor not often thought about with this is that this has inadvertently put a question mark over the clubs head from the start. There has always been talk and discussion around whether GWS should move permanently to ACT from its inception, (it doesn't matter if its just rumours or nonsensical discussions) that this kind of uncertainty has not helped GWS at all.

Theres nothing western Sydney about GWS
Everything about gws is wrong. Its clearly a Melbourne thing disguised poorly to look western Sydney. Like the name Greater Western Sydney. Lol that is not a term someone from Sydney would ever use. instead its something somebody from outside the city or even the state would say. The so called battle of the bridge haha. Anzac Bridge is the bridge used but seriously why don't they call it.. battle FOR the Bridge as in battle for the Bridge in Sydney that people actually care about. That would make sense

The way the AFL and giants administration promoted GWS and way it acted during those early days was just too Melbourne'esk
What do I mean by Melbourne'esk... well melbourne is where afl is the king fish, and being too Melbourne'esk is my way of describing times when the afl had forgotten that western Sydney is not Melbourne, and (unfortunately for GWS) the afl is just a little baby fish here but still thought and acted like it was king.
Examples of this is the afl and their nonsensical push for MORE public money. When the AFL decided that GWS would be based in blacktown(rooty hill to be precise), the AFL pushed blacktown city council and the nsw state government to add funds to help build a home ground for GWS. Even though moving away from blacktown was the best idea the afl came up with reg GWS the afl still received millions to upgrade that field in rooty hill, for the AFL to then decide against it and deciding to play out of Olympic Park instead(which is the better location for them and really GWS's only real option from the start), asking for even more public money to be spent on them at Olympic Park, and after being seen to waste millions of public money on blacktown. In regards to community opinion and public relations even requesting more money is clearly a poor decision. Only in an afl dominated market would that kind of poor publicity make any sense...

If the showground was good enough to host minor Olympic sports, how would it not be sufficient enough to host the AFL, a minor sport in Western Sydney? It was obvious to anyone from western Sydney that the showgrounds existing Olympic games built infrastructure was more than enough for gws for the foreseeable future.

And sadly it seems that still the afl still has not learnt anything from its early failures with GWS... cos even today the afl is pushing for more allocation of funds to upgrade gws home ground, lol with the afl using the exact talking points it was using a decade ago, "we need more money spent cos in 10 years even 30,000 seats wont be big enough for GWS".

PS
I already know that many afl fans in here will disagree strongly with my view that the afl has been aggressive in pushing for funding in nsw or that it causes negative pushbacks, infact i reckon many will claim that the NSW government needs to spend more on AFL. My answer for these GWS experts feom across the southern states is... Except for the few nutters, afl fans in Sydney are generally those who are least in favour of more money spent on afl facilities in nsw such as spotless. Funny that aye.

"Wearing tight shorts is a bootable offense!"
Bbear
Seniors
Seniors
Team: brisbane bears
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Bbear »

Two points here both big costly mistakes.
First mistake the Giants moniker does not represent any flora, fauna or cultural aspect of Sydney. so potential fans can not identify with and embrace the team, in short the giant name is an unmitigated disaster.

Please learn from the Dolphins, credit where credit is due, what a terrific name that people love.

Second mistake is to try and represent two distinct areas. This is a lazy cop out trying to fix a past failure by an incompetent AFL administration too lazy to develop a team that represents Canberra and Southern NSW.
The NRL and Rugby Union both invested and built teams in this region and both have been an incredible success.
Playing games in Canberra has been well received but it is no substitute for a local team and it takes games away from Giants stadium which are vital to give any hope for attendance and fan figures to grow.
Throwing more money ( millions $ ) at the Giants won't fix these issues.
The reset button needs to be set, a new name ( no more ghastly giants name) and a priority to play more games in Sydney..
Canberra needs games and this region is more important for growth than propping up dead wood teams such as North Melbourne.
AFL needs to pull it's finger out , stop making excuses ( like it is on the Tasmanian issue) and get a team in Canberra .
These users liked the author Bbear for the post:
leeroy*NRL* (Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:03 pm)
I didn't want a crap name anymore !
Formally RLcrap
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach
Team: The Scottish Puffins
Been liked: 75 times

Post by AFLcrap1 »

Bbear wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:15 pm
First mistake the Giants moniker does not represent any flora, fauna or cultural aspect of Sydney. so potential fans can not identify with and embrace the team, in short the giant name is an unmitigated disaster.

Please learn from the Dolphins, credit where credit is due, what a terrific name that people love.

Second mistake is to try and represent two distinct areas. This is a lazy cop out trying to fix a past failure by an incompetent AFL administration too lazy to develop a team that represents Canberra and Southern NSW.
The NRL and Rugby Union both invested and built teams in this region and both have been an incredible success.
Playing games in Canberra has been well received but it is no substitute for a local team and it takes games away from Giants stadium which are vital to give any hope for attendance and fan figures to grow.
The reset button needs to be set, a new name ( no more ghastly giants name) and a priority to play more games in Sydney..
Canberra needs games and this region is more important for growth than propping up dead wood teams such as North Melbourne.
AFL needs to pull it's finger out , stop making excuses ( like it is on the Tasmanian issue) and get a team in Canberra .
3Rd mistake
Sending a geriatric racist old fool ( might work in racist AFL Melb) to Talk up this team & all he did was alienate any future fans with his racist comments .

Strange people down vicderp way
TLPG 🤣liar extraordinaire
You should thank me for publishing your IP

and I never published any actual IP. That's it.
🤣
I was a mod at the time .
Xman wrote
I also gave them to TLPG believing he was still a mod.I admit I made a mistake.
:^o :^o
GlobalRugbyLeague
Reserves
Reserves
Team: Manly
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 3 times

Post by GlobalRugbyLeague »

AFLcrap1 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:42 am
Bbear wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:15 pm

3Rd mistake
Sending a geriatric racist old fool ( might work in racist AFL Melb) to Talk up this team & all he did was alienate any future fans with his racist comments .

Strange people down vicderp way
:lol: :lol: I shouldn't laugh, but that is very true and funny.
GlobalRugbyLeague
Reserves
Reserves

214Four wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:07 am
I agree with the core of this thread. The giants were supposed to be a western Sydney team, but from almost day dot of the clubs creation, decisions made by both the AFL administration and the giants administration made GWS anything but..

The errors I see gws made are...
Trying to represent both western Sydney and the ACT together that has just meant done GWS stuggles to represent either
I think that one factor not often thought about with this is that this has inadvertently put a question mark over the clubs head from the start. There has always been talk and discussion around whether GWS should move permanently to ACT from its inception, (it doesn't matter if its just rumours or nonsensical discussions) that this kind of uncertainty has not helped GWS at all.

Theres nothing western Sydney about GWS
Everything about gws is wrong. Its clearly a Melbourne thing disguised poorly to look western Sydney. Like the name Greater Western Sydney. Lol that is not a term someone from Sydney would ever use. instead its something somebody from outside the city or even the state would say. The so called battle of the bridge haha. Anzac Bridge is the bridge used but seriously why don't they call it.. battle FOR the Bridge as in battle for the Bridge in Sydney that people actually care about. That would make sense

The way the AFL and giants administration promoted GWS and way it acted during those early days was just too Melbourne'esk
What do I mean by Melbourne'esk... well melbourne is where afl is the king fish, and being too Melbourne'esk is my way of describing times when the afl had forgotten that western Sydney is not Melbourne, and (unfortunately for GWS) the afl is just a little baby fish here but still thought and acted like it was king.
Examples of this is the afl and their nonsensical push for MORE public money. When the AFL decided that GWS would be based in blacktown(rooty hill to be precise), the AFL pushed blacktown city council and the nsw state government to add funds to help build a home ground for GWS. Even though moving away from blacktown was the best idea the afl came up with reg GWS the afl still received millions to upgrade that field in rooty hill, for the AFL to then decide against it and deciding to play out of Olympic Park instead(which is the better location for them and really GWS's only real option from the start), asking for even more public money to be spent on them at Olympic Park, and after being seen to waste millions of public money on blacktown. In regards to community opinion and public relations even requesting more money is clearly a poor decision. Only in an afl dominated market would that kind of poor publicity make any sense...

If the showground was good enough to host minor Olympic sports, how would it not be sufficient enough to host the AFL, a minor sport in Western Sydney? It was obvious to anyone from western Sydney that the showgrounds existing Olympic games built infrastructure was more than enough for gws for the foreseeable future.

And sadly it seems that still the afl still has not learnt anything from its early failures with GWS... cos even today the afl is pushing for more allocation of funds to upgrade gws home ground, lol with the afl using the exact talking points it was using a decade ago, "we need more money spent cos in 10 years even 30,000 seats wont be big enough for GWS".

PS
I already know that many afl fans in here will disagree strongly with my view that the afl has been aggressive in pushing for funding in nsw or that it causes negative pushbacks, infact i reckon many will claim that the NSW government needs to spend more on AFL. My answer for these GWS experts feom across the southern states is... Except for the few nutters, afl fans in Sydney are generally those who are least in favour of more money spent on afl facilities in nsw such as spotless. Funny that aye.
That is right on the money.
GlobalRugbyLeague
Reserves
Reserves

truthbomber wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:19 pm
Pete__09 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:32 pm
I tend to agree. Footy is just never going to get popular there. It is a big waste of money for the AFL to keep trying with them. Lets start teams in Canberra, Tasmania & a (possible) NT team.

Western Sydney can just stick with Rugby League & Soccer while most of the rest of the country follows Australia's true national football code in winter.
:hmm:

8-[

:-k

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :(/ :(/ :(/ :(/

seig heil fumbler
most of the rest outside of Western Sydney ?
:(/ :(/ :(/ :(/ :(/

try
the sthn half
while the rest continue to laugh at skinny white unco mongs in singlets .... like they always have & always will :cool:
:(/
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach
Team: The Scottish Puffins
Been liked: 75 times

Post by AFLcrap1 »

Saw on the news that the midgets got beat last night .
Must have been a massive disappointment for their 13 fans in Syd .
TLPG 🤣liar extraordinaire
You should thank me for publishing your IP

and I never published any actual IP. That's it.
🤣
I was a mod at the time .
Xman wrote
I also gave them to TLPG believing he was still a mod.I admit I made a mistake.
:^o :^o
Quolls2019
Coach
Coach
Team: North Melbourne
Been liked: 119 times

Post by Quolls2019 »

AFLcrap1 wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 7:44 am
A massive disappointment for all those that don’t barrack for Collingwood.

A tough game…in the end I think the giants last 6 minutes was too defensive.
There are lies, damn lies and then there are ratings.
Rugby league, Australias most popular game in some of North Eastern Australia.
truthbomber
Banned
Team: Cobar Roosters
Been liked: 57 times

Post by truthbomber »

13 fans in Sydney ?
8-[

when did their fanbase there double ? :hmm:

:lol: :lol: :rofl: :rofl: :(/ :(/ :lol: :lol: :rofl: :rofl: :(/ :(/ :(/
Last edited by truthbomber on Sat Sep 23, 2023 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skippy Steve
Rookie
Rookie
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Skippy Steve »

The Giants were ripped off with a few free kicks that were not paid to them as well.
truthbomber
Banned

Post by truthbomber »

Quolls2019 wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:24 am
A massive disappointment for all those that don’t barrack for Collingwood.

A tough game…in the end I think the giants last 6 minutes was too defensive.
yep
their 13 fans in Sydney , all of whom moved there from the twat states would have been devo :lol: :lol: :rofl: :rofl: :(/ :(/ :(/
truthbomber
Banned

Post by truthbomber »

Skippy Steve wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 1:12 pm
The Giants were ripped off with a few free kicks that were not paid to them as well.
was that before they took off their big floppy shoes or after ? :-k

:lol: :lol: :(/ :(/ :(/ :rofl: :rofl:
fucking clowns
Skippy Steve
Rookie
Rookie
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Skippy Steve »

Canberra is a GWS state. They love the Giants down there.
truthbomber
Banned

Post by truthbomber »

Skippy Steve wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 1:16 pm
Canberra is a GWS state. They love the Giants down there.
The Raiders womens team is bigger you clueless behind fisting git :cool: