Streaming companies want to broadcast AFL

Discuss the footy industry, crowds, tv ratings, memberships, sponsorships and the finances of all Australian football codes and clubs
Quolls2019
Coach
Coach
Team: North Melbourne
Been liked: 119 times

Re: Streaming companies want to broadcast AFL

Post by Quolls2019 »

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-08-25/ ... /101368454
25/8/22

“Strategic intervention' against Murdoch by minister in chase for AFL rights, but there's one thing missing”

Abridged

Xxxxxxx

The AFL's current arrangement, extended during the pandemic to the end of 2024, gives Channel Seven free-to-air rights. Foxtel and its streaming service Kayo can show all matches.

But even though every match of AFL is protected in the regulations, a Fremantle Dockers fan in Melbourne will struggle to watch their team without a Foxtel or Kayo subscription. Indeed, only three regular season matches are guaranteed to be shown on Channel Seven each week, even in the AFL heartland of Victoria.

The deal was struck between the AFL, Seven and Foxtel behind closed doors in 2015, with different rules for different states.

Similar negotiations are underway now, and Ms Rowland's intervention serves as a reminder to the negotiating parties that they cannot stray too far from the principle that AFL should be free to watch.

Yet it's clear the minister has contemplated a so-called "diminution" that will test the scheme, and its enforcement.

"A reduction of the availability of live and free matches being shown on free-to-air television would be a shame," she told ABC's 7.30, flagging the Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) could look into the AFL's eventual deal.

"But we will be crossing that bridge when we arrive at it."

Xxxxxxxxx

There's no requirement for free-to-air companies to actually show the events or to not on-sell them, meaning these legacy entities can assert significant influence over a transitioning market.

And traditional free-to-air broadcasters are also becoming pay TV providers with their new paid streaming platforms. Channel Nine owns Stan, and Channel Ten and Paramount+ are within the same corporate family.

That dynamic prompted Foxtel's CEO Patrick Delany to declare “what the regime protects is not true anymore".

“Free [to-air] companies are winning rights of free [listed] sports events," he told the Age, "but they’re pushing consumers to their paid outlets.”

Once a shared-rights relationship between Seven and Fox Sports was a practical necessity. But now single corporate entities with free-to-air arms can chop up their offers to sporting bodies like the AFL, enjoying the benefit of the anti-siphoning framework and positioning their own streaming platforms for the future.

Months into its first term, the new government has landed on regulatory ground shaken by new media forces. But criticism will be as firm as it always has been.

Shadow communications minister Senator Sarah Henderson told the ABC "the minister's statement is unprecedented, because it looks like she's in opposition".
"What I was expecting the minister should have said today is we won't allow these games, these very valuable games, including with the AFL, to sit behind a paywall," she said.

What's missing

Ms Rowland said the government's upcoming review into the anti-siphoning scheme "will give stakeholders and the public the opportunity to share their views on which events should be on the list, and how the scheme should work".

xxxxxxxxx” comment: as i have posted before the government will need to change the law to restrict the way it works now….one could argue a limited cartel scheme….but it will be too late for it to affect the new AFL deal.

My
There are lies, damn lies and then there are ratings.
Rugby league, Australias most popular game in some of North Eastern Australia.
Quolls2019
Coach
Coach

Post by Quolls2019 »

From the Age 29/8/22

Legendary commentator Dennis Cometti has urged the AFL to maintain the current balance of free-to-air and pay TV matches in its next broadcast deal, after league boss Gillon McLachlan described the federal government’s concerns as “irrelevant”.

More behind paywall.
truthbomber
Banned
Team: Cobar Roosters
Been liked: 57 times

Re: Fight Club - Football TV Ratings

Post by truthbomber »

Gone wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:08 am
truthbomber wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:00 am

most watched but ...by less people at any one time :-k

yea
nah
thats not anything to make a mess in your Y fronts about :cool:
just a great way to miss the point.
got the point fine fumbler

but
its a useless metric :cool:

the only reason you get more is one extra game per week , & murdoch intentionally paying the aflol overs to screw Dave Smith & the NRL in the last rights deals

aint happening this time tho eh :-k
if they're to get even a half decent increase this time they're going to have to sell their soul to the devil
concessions everywhere to the almighty TV $

the aflol are too scared atm to announce what they're getting & what they gave up to get it

delicious :twisted:
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

truthbomber wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:13 pm
truthbomber wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:00 am

most watched but ...by less people at any one time :-k

yea
nah
thats not anything to make a mess in your Y fronts about :cool:
the only reason you get more is one extra game per week , & murdoch intentionally paying the aflol overs to screw Dave Smith & the NRL in the last rights deals

aint happening this time tho eh

Oh dear, this line yet again trotted out as the AFL negotiates a new tv deal. Who’d of thought eh lol
truthbomber
Banned

Post by truthbomber »

Beaussie wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:40 pm
truthbomber wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:13 pm

aint happening this time tho eh

Oh dear, this line yet again trotted out as the AFL negotiates a new tv deal. Who’d of thought eh lol
unzip the bubble fumbler & get informed :cool:
thats exactly what occured

this bumbling clown game is now getting schooled on its true place in the media rights land scape

gill the dil to foxtel
but but but , we have to get more !!

foxtel to gill the dil
why ?
if nothing changes , you won't get a penny more .. your sport is only popular in half the country & outside vicderpia .. your clubs are always on FTA
change that, or else !!

gill the dil to foxtel
but but but .......... waaaaahhhhhhhhh
ok ok

Ch 7 to gill the dil
hang on buddy , if you're taking our exclusive games outside vicderpia off us ... then be damned if we're paying anymore

gill the dil to ch 7
but but but ............. waaaaaaahhhhhh

delicious :twisted:
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

We shall see. You lot have been trotting out similar lines for the past decade and yet the AFL has continually scored the biggest tv rights deals, breaking records every time.

We get it makes you lot wild with envy. Suck it up and enjoy the latest ride Number 2.

WookieReturns
Captain
Captain
Team: Carlton
Been liked: 98 times

Post by WookieReturns »

I mean its been predicatable for decades. Packer drove the rights up to spite Stokes while on his deathbed, Murdoch overbid to spite the NRL because he was offended...and on and on

And then the whole "well on a per game or per minute basis" reasoning.

Rugby league gets less money for its rights. Thus it is less valuable. There might be perfectly valid reasons for them recieving less money, but the money received is what speaks to the overall value. And you guys have been proud silver medallists for most of the last 30 years.

wait forgot emojis

:-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|=
:cheers:
:\: :\: :\: :\: :\: :\: :\: :\: :\:
:)))
Terry
Coach
Coach
Team: Wests Tigers
Been liked: 163 times

Post by Terry »

Beaussie wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:00 pm
We shall see. You lot have been trotting out similar lines for the past decade and yet the AFL has continually scored the biggest tv rights deals, breaking records every time.

We get it makes you lot wild with envy. Suck it up and enjoy the latest ride Number 2.

Funny stuff beatup. Hey pal, what happened to the $600M deal? Oh yeah........that's right.........Gilty just told lies about it lololololol!!!!! And what about Paramount/10............oh yeah...........they were never interested.....more lies lolololololol!!!!!

And now it's all gone wery wery quiet. I can see a lot of fumble folk wearing a face fulla omelette very soon. Bring it on!!!!!!!!
WookieReturns
Captain
Captain

Post by WookieReturns »

Terry wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:27 pm

Funny stuff beatup. Hey pal, what happened to the $600M deal? Oh yeah........that's right.........Gilty just told lies about it lololololol!!!!! And what about Paramount/10............oh yeah...........they were never interested.....more lies lolololololol!!!!!

And now it's all gone wery wery quiet. I can see a lot of fumble folk wearing a face fulla omelette very soon. Bring it on!!!!!!!!
still picking and choosing which anonymous reports you want to believe.
These users liked the author WookieReturns for the post:
Beaussie (Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:28 pm)
Terry
Coach
Coach

Post by Terry »

Gone wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:35 pm

No bummy, I read 'em all pal. Then make an informed, intelligent analysis. I mean I am the voice of reason on this exalted site.
Quolls2019
Coach
Coach

Post by Quolls2019 »

Terry wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:37 pm

No bummy, I read 'em all pal. Then make an informed, intelligent analysis. I mean I am the voice of reason on this exalted site.
Self assessment is most often done by someone who loves you the most.
These users liked the author Quolls2019 for the post (total 2):
Beaussie (Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:28 pm) • WookieReturns (Sun Sep 04, 2022 5:03 pm)
truthbomber
Banned

Post by truthbomber »

oh so

the 600 mill is still on then fumbler ? :-k

:lol: :lol: :lol: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :(/ :(/ :(/ :(/
WookieReturns
Captain
Captain

Post by WookieReturns »

truthbomber wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:35 pm

oh so

I never said it was, and I never said I believed it was on offer. Just like no one has a quote from Gillon Mclachlan stating he wanted 600m.

Whatever the figure is, the STARTING position is 70 odd million higher than the NRls final position soooo...enjoy silver champ.

=D =D =D =D =D =D =D =D =D =D =D =D =D
These users liked the author WookieReturns for the post:
Beaussie (Sun Sep 04, 2022 5:35 pm)
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

Silent auction: Media execs in billion-dollar pitch for AFL rights
Zoe Samios
By Zoe Samios
September 4, 2022

The AFL is on the verge of securing a new multi-billion dollar deal to broadcast matches across Australia, but will pit its potential broadcast partners against one another for the last time on Monday in an effort to maximise cash for the code.

Media companies Nine Entertainment Co, Paramount, Seven West Media and Foxtel will present to the AFL’s top executives in what industry sources are describing as a silent auction designed to keep pressure on the current broadcast partners and generate more money than the $946 million being paid to the sport over the next two years.

The AFL is on the brink of a new multi-billion dollar deal.CREDIT:QUINN ROONEY/GETTY IMAGES

The media sources, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because negotiations are commercial in confidence, said the AFL organised the back-to-back meetings for this Monday despite the terms of a new agreement being all but signed with Seven and Foxtel. They are asking each broadcaster for their best and final bids and a deal could be signed before the end of the week.

Some executives believe the move is a way to maximise cash from the incumbents, while others have suggested the talks are ongoing because a deal could still land with Nine, the owner of this masthead, and its streaming service Stan.

Nine, Paramount, Seven, Foxtel and the AFL declined to comment.

Regardless of outcome, the AFL could receive up to $50 million per annum more than its existing deal, which would bring a five-year agreement to $2.6 billion. The AFL’s last long-term deal was $2.5 billion and ran for six years. The current deal runs from 2022 to 2024 and is costing the broadcasters $946 million in cash and contra (free advertising).

AFL chairman Richard Goyder and CEO Gillon McLachlan were spotted next to Seven West Media’s billionaire chairman Kerry Stokes at the match between the Fremantle Dockers and the Western Bulldogs on Saturday night, which made some industry executives believe the deal is all but done. Other media and AFL sources said the sporting body would not host the meetings on Monday if that was the case.

Seven and Foxtel were at loggerheads for months over key elements of a future arrangement, including the number of live matches on free-to-air. The AFL was considering delaying two free-to-air matches each week by up to two hours in interstate markets to give Foxtel more exclusivity for its streaming service Kayo Sports.

Media sources said those concerns are now resolved. A new deal will lead to AFL games in NSW and Queensland shown live exclusively on Foxtel and on a delay of up to two hours on Channel Seven under the terms that have been agreed. There will be no changes to the number of games on delay in South Australia and Western Australia and Victoria will be unaffected, according to the sources.

Seven West Media chairman Kerry Stokes sits alongside AFL boss Gill McLachlan in Western Australia on Saturday night.CREDIT:SCREENSHOT

Seven will be able to stream games on its online video service, 7Plus, and Foxtel will air AFL games exclusively on Saturdays each week.

A new deal with Seven West Media and Foxtel would not breach anti-siphoning laws, which determine which key sports and cultural events should be available for free and have been a major focus in this round of broadcast negotiations.

Communications Minister Michelle Rowland publicly warned the sporting code against reducing the amount of live matches that were available for free before speaking to key executives at the sporting body. Rowland is reviewing the laws, which only prevent Foxtel - not other streaming services - from putting major sporting events behind a paywall.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/compani ... 5bf03.html
Terry
Coach
Coach

Post by Terry »

Gone wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 5:09 pm
truthbomber wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:35 pm

oh so

I never said it was, and I never said I believed it was on offer. Just like no one has a quote from Gillon Mclachlan stating he wanted 600m.

Whatever the figure is, the STARTING position is 70 odd million higher than the NRls final position soooo...enjoy silver champ.

=D =D =D =D =D =D =D =D =D =D =D =D =D

That's great bummy. But can you now tell me what the NRL's final position was???? I mean the exact amount. And also tell me how you know the figure. Thanks so much my dear friend.