AFL and cricket generate more tourism than Raiders and Brumbies in Canberra

Discuss the footy industry, crowds, tv ratings, memberships, sponsorships and the finances of all Australian football codes and clubs
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

AFL and cricket generate more tourism than Raiders and Brumbies in Canberra

Post by Beaussie »

Thoughts?

At the budget estimates it was revealed that the two Giants AFL games played at Manuka Oval in 2021 delivered an estimated $1.47 million.

Barr clarified that the figure was modest due to the impact of the pandemic, and suggested that the future economic benefit of AFL and AFLW games in Canberra would be even greater.

"Because of COVID there was very little interstate travel," he said. "In other years the economic contribution is higher."

Barr also said that an evaluation of the Giants' economic tourism value showed that "AFL fans travel more".

"There's Sydney-based Giants fans who travel to Canberra to watch games and then the opposing team also travel to Canberra," he argued.

"The consistent pattern is that AFL and cricket generate more tourism than Raiders and Brumbies as a proportion of total attendance, and I think overall as well."

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... -act-deal/
Terry
Coach
Coach
Team: Wests Tigers
Been liked: 163 times

Re: AFL and cricket generate more tourism than Raiders and Brumbies in Canberra

Post by Terry »

Beaussie wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:14 pm
Thoughts?

At the budget estimates it was revealed that the two Giants AFL games played at Manuka Oval in 2021 delivered an estimated $1.47 million.

Barr clarified that the figure was modest due to the impact of the pandemic, and suggested that the future economic benefit of AFL and AFLW games in Canberra would be even greater.

"Because of COVID there was very little interstate travel," he said. "In other years the economic contribution is higher."

Barr also said that an evaluation of the Giants' economic tourism value showed that "AFL fans travel more".

"There's Sydney-based Giants fans who travel to Canberra to watch games and then the opposing team also travel to Canberra," he argued.

"The consistent pattern is that AFL and cricket generate more tourism than Raiders and Brumbies as a proportion of total attendance, and I think overall as well."

Beatup 'ol son, I'd suggest you give a little more thought to your posting lest you continue to walk around town with layers of egg on ya mug!!

First off this bloke Barr is a poor silly fumble tragic. He's about as objective as you and your great friend bummy!! He's been bluing with Raiders for years.

Second: The Raiders avg crowd is 15k. The Ginats and Brumbies are 9k. Cricket gets a few thousand. And most importantly the Raiders and Brumbies between them play 20 games in Canberra. The fumblers and T20 cricket play 8 or less.

The total crowds are 237k R/B V F/C 48k.

Do the math pal, it is statistically impossible for the fumblers/cricket to generate more tourism than Raiders/Brumbies. Its a lie. It. Can't. Happen. Now toddle off to the bathroom and wipe that egg and spittle of ya face pal. Its very un-becoming.
Quolls2019
Coach
Coach
Team: North Melbourne
Been liked: 119 times

Post by Quolls2019 »

Beaussie wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:14 pm
Thoughts?

Seems to be a bit of an exaggeration. If not…20th team in Canberra.
There are lies, damn lies and then there are ratings.
Rugby league, Australias most popular game in some of North Eastern Australia.
truthbomber
Banned
Team: Cobar Roosters
Been liked: 57 times

Post by truthbomber »

so
these thieving scum generated 1.47 Mill to the ACT economy , but were paid 2.9 Mill :hmm:
thats disgraceful [-( [-( [-( [-(

They'd wanna be better in the future Barr you oopsies & giggles loving twat
thats down right theft [-X [-X [-X [-X [-X [-X

notice how the sleazy slime bag says .. proportionately more then the Raiders & Brumbies
but where the Raiders are concerned , their crowds are considerably larger & therefore their contribution to the ACT economy is much larger :cool:

manipulation of numbers is all this is :^o :^o :^o :^o :^o :^o
Fred
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood
Been liked: 156 times

Post by Fred »

It makes sense that a side outside of the region when it plays draws more tourists
Veni, vidi, vici
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

Fred wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:17 pm
It makes sense that a side outside of the region when it plays draws more tourists
AFL fans do definitely travel more than NRL fans. There were heaps of Swans fans at Sydney Airport yesterday when I was waiting for my flight. Red and white all through the T2 terminal and no doubt T3. And the pilot on my flight even mentioned all the Swans fans onboard.
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

Beaussie wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:35 am
AFL fans do definitely travel more than NRL fans. There were heaps of Swans fans at Sydney Airport yesterday when I was waiting for my flight. Red and white all through the T2 terminal and no doubt T3. And the pilot on my flight even mentioned all the Swans fans onboard.
True. I am not too sure what is so controversial about a team who plays a game in Canberra draws more tourist and generates more tourist income than a local Canberra team? I mean if people are having to travel to the game the need accommodation, somewhere to eat, may take time to take in some tourist things whilst there etc. But you have two teams from outside the region as opposed to one. As yes, AFL team supporters do tend to travel although there is a team from Sydney that has made it a tradition that their supporters travel up for the titans game. I remember a few years ago the Titans promoting the game by almost begging supporters to come so as to hopefully outnumber the local supporters.
Veni, vidi, vici
Quolls2019
Coach
Coach

Post by Quolls2019 »

Fred wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:26 am
True. I am not too sure what is so controversial about a team who plays a game in Canberra draws more tourist and generates more tourist income than a local Canberra team? I mean if people are having to travel to the game the need accommodation, somewhere to eat, may take time to take in some tourist things whilst there etc. But you have two teams from outside the region as opposed to one. As yes, AFL team supporters do tend to travel although there is a team from Sydney that has made it a tradition that their supporters travel up for the titans game. I remember a few years ago the Titans promoting the game by almost begging supporters to come so as to hopefully outnumber the local supporters.
Not sure that AFL Sydney fans would travel for a Titans game or did you mean an NRL combined fan group?

However the giants want to extend their canberra agreement for another 10 years up to 3 games a year.
Might be good for canberra but does nothing in their attempt to establish their “home” supporter base.
They have made some odd decisions.
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

There is a Sydney nrl team that apparently the fans have the titans game as an annual trip.

Agree, giants playing in Canberra is stupid.
Veni, vidi, vici
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

Also not a big fan of suns playing home games away from Gold Coast either.
These users liked the author Fred for the post:
Beaussie (Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:42 pm)
Veni, vidi, vici
Quolls2019
Coach
Coach

Post by Quolls2019 »

Fred wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:58 am
Also not a big fan of suns playing home games away from Gold Coast either.
Agree, makes no sense, maybe $, but no sense at all.
truthbomber
Banned

Post by truthbomber »

And the pilot on my flight even mentioned all the Swans fans onboard.
oooooooo

some .... me time ..in the loos after eh ? :wink:

8-[

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :(/ :(/ :(/ :(/

fumblers
biggest wankers on the planet
truthbomber
Banned

Post by truthbomber »

AFL fans do definitely travel more than NRL fans.
the 30K league fans from NSW & QLD who travelled to the SOO in mongbourne & the 20K to Perth
say hi dopey :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

the origin in mongbourne generating more income to the vicderpian economy then the aflol GF :cool:
WookieReturns
Captain
Captain
Team: Carlton
Been liked: 98 times

Post by WookieReturns »

truthbomber wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 12:54 pm
AFL fans do definitely travel more than NRL fans.
the 30K league fans from NSW & QLD who travelled to the SOO in mongbourne & the 20K to Perth
say hi dopey :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

the origin in mongbourne generating more income to the vicderpian economy then the aflol GF :cool:
lol sure it did.
These users liked the author WookieReturns for the post:
Beaussie (Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:42 pm)
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

Quolls2019 wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:00 am
Fred wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:26 am

Not sure that AFL Sydney fans would travel for a Titans game or did you mean an NRL combined fan group?

However the giants want to extend their canberra agreement for another 10 years up to 3 games a year.
Might be good for canberra but does nothing in their attempt to establish their “home” supporter base.
They have made some odd decisions.

Yeah money might be good but I’m with you, odd decision from the Giants who should be focusing on Western Sydney. That said, the Swans played games in Canberra too, prior to the Giants entry to the competition. I remember going down for games at Bruce Stadium and Manuka Oval. Was always a lot of travelling fans from Sydney and lots of coaches outside grounds from Wagga and the Riverina districts.

Perhaps Canberra for 20th team? Personally however, I’d like to see a combined Northern Territory and top end of Queensland team.