Origin

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
Fred
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood
Been liked: 156 times

Re: Origin

Post by Fred »

Covid is not a strain of the flu - the common cold is a form of covid, as is sars, and sars 2 (what is referred to as Covid )
Veni, vidi, vici
leeroy*NRL*
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Been liked: 67 times

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

Fred wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:27 pm
Covid is not a strain of the flu - the common cold is a form of covid, as is sars, and sars 2 (what is referred to as Covid )
ohh shut it
you know what i mean
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

Lol yes
These users liked the author Fred for the post:
leeroy*NRL* (Sat Jul 09, 2022 5:16 pm)
Veni, vidi, vici
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

Freddy no Masterchef on tonight, you recan the wife will give ya the remote
to Watch The Biggest Match of the Year ?

#stateoforigin
#Decider
#NSW
#QLD
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

I'm working tonight - wondering why there were two cancellations lol. Filled one and kept the other free to catch up on paperwork - may get home for the end.

Mate - it's hard enough for me to watch the AFL!!!
Veni, vidi, vici
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

Fred wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:50 pm
I'm working tonight - wondering why there were two cancellations lol. Filled one and kept the other free to catch up on paperwork - may get home for the end.

lol i know the feeling,
"time poor"
truthbomber
Banned
Team: Cobar Roosters
Been liked: 57 times

Post by truthbomber »

wow

just wow

what a spectacle

RL's origin cementing its place as Australias greatest sporting rivalry
making everything else look like a girl guides pajama party :cool:
Pete__09
Reserves
Reserves
Team: Brisbane Lions
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 17 times

Post by Pete__09 »

Of course it is Australia's greatest rivalry. It is everyone who follows rugby league watching 1 match.

I could only imagine if the AFL had that, how popular it would be but they cant as every state plays footy & it is just not a 2 state thing.
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

Yeah - they tried the Allies thing which was a massive flop. I always think you could have east coast (QLD, Vic, NSW, Tassie - Versus West coast - W.A, S.A, Northern Territory - would be interesting - but again, challenge is that it would be purely for exhibition - and players don't want to play and get injured or suspended -as club footy takes precedence in AFL. I think that is why it also works well in RL as their is a different culture as they have Rep footy - and it is not seen as exhibition but more patriotic - representing your state means something over and above premierships and your club - above money. It would be good if that was in Australian Rules Footy but it simply isn't which is a shame. It used to be - remembering old Ted Whitten saying to Stick it Up Em - and Todd Curly (?) having the Kick a Vic - there was a genuine hatred of Victorians which fuelled it. I think when the Victorians stopped caring about what WA and SA footy people thought it dulled it a bit. I did look at the results and there were some close ones and some with SA winning toward the end - so it wasn't that it wasn't competitive - there were also some blow outs though - so ? That day Ted Whitten went around the boundary line near the end of his life was a moment to remember - maybe SoO passed with him?

Seems I missed a crackin game though last night - got stuck watching Lucifer Season 2, which I'm binging, when I got home. Could have waited !!!!! Damn.
Veni, vidi, vici
cehar5
Reserves
Reserves
Team: Demons storm
Been liked: 19 times

Post by cehar5 »

Was an awesome game but what do you guys think of the concussions? Not a good look I don't think.
pussycat Mark 11
Captain
Captain
Team: Easts
Been liked: 36 times

Post by pussycat Mark 11 »

Fred wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:50 pm

THEN DONT!
Australia's number 1 sport RUGBY LEAGUE. Preferred by more Australians than any other :cheers:
pussycat Mark 11
Captain
Captain
Team: Easts
Been liked: 36 times

Post by pussycat Mark 11 »

Pete__09 wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:35 am
Of course it is Australia's greatest rivalry. It is everyone who follows rugby league watching 1 match.

I could only imagine if the AFL had that, how popular it would be but they cant as every state plays footy & it is just not a 2 state thing.

The AFL had it for years what are you talking about? They couldn't get any interest - on or off the field.

And I seem to recall they had another crack at it just a few years back... once again interest level = 0, :wink:
Australia's number 1 sport RUGBY LEAGUE. Preferred by more Australians than any other :cheers:
Pete__09
Reserves
Reserves
Team: Brisbane Lions
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 17 times

Post by Pete__09 »

They lost interest because more than 2 states play it & the footy season is more important than getting injured in what is essentially is a exhibition match.
Terry
Coach
Coach
Team: Wests Tigers
Been liked: 163 times

Post by Terry »

Pete__09 wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:35 pm
They lost interest because more than 2 states play it & the footy season is more important than getting injured in what is essentially is a exhibition match.
Typical stupidity from a fumbling fan. They got rid of it because Vic was too powerful and dominated. SOO is a contest every single year such is the closeness of the playing strength of both states. Hence it has become the gargantuan TV trilogy it is.

Calling it an 'exhibition' is what jealous fumbling folk do year after year. Grow up pal!!
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

pussycat Mark 11 wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:47 pm
Pete__09 wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:35 am

The AFL had it for years what are you talking about? They couldn't get any interest - on or off the field.

And I seem to recall they had another crack at it just a few years back... once again interest level = 0, :wink:
When I was younger SoO was massive - but even then murmurings were about how this was impacting club football and premiership tints. I remember one player being injured and all the news was how this could impact the players club tilt at the Grand Final and a lot of that clubs supporters knocking SoO. But it was pretty successful - at least at times from memory. The Ted Whitten game was particularly memorable. You got to remember, S.A and W.A had (and still do) a massive chip on their shoulder in regard to Victorian football - a bit like QLd did with NSW I think - hence the passion was there in the aussie rules SoO game.
Veni, vidi, vici