Another poor crowd.

Australian Football news and discussion.
Fred
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood
Been liked: 156 times

Another poor crowd.

Post by Fred »

Thursday night - Richmond who have a huge following and another dismal crowd. Sure, it was against Port Adelaide which may explain some drop and Richmond are not the dominant force they were, but still - =Thursday night is a show case and that crowd has to be a worry.

(remember - this is not the fight club so lets make it a mature discussion)

*. fixed - having Thursday night off work threw me out (M1 was a stand still last night)
Last edited by Fred on Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Veni, vidi, vici
leeroy*NRL*
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Been liked: 67 times

Re: Another poor crowd.

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

was a Thursday Night.

I wonder what the Average difference is for AFL between Thursday and Friday.

NRL Thursday Night Games are not well attended> but generally rate 800k to 1million
pussycat Mark 11
Captain
Captain
Team: Easts
Been liked: 36 times

Post by pussycat Mark 11 »

Lowest Richmond MCG crowd (outside of COVID) since August 2010 v Adelaide.

AFL , way to go :cheers:
Australia's number 1 sport RUGBY LEAGUE. Preferred by more Australians than any other :cheers:
truthbomber
Banned
Team: Cobar Roosters
Been liked: 57 times

Post by truthbomber »

poor ol fweddy , doesn't even know what day it is :lol: :lol: :lol: :rofl: :rofl: :(/ :(/ :(/

but to the topic at hand
this is what NRL fans have been saying for yonks , our Thursday night games are affecting attendances hugely & we have copped criticism for being run by broadcasters & taking the almighty $$ over what is best for the fans.

Welcome to the party fumblers , its your turn to trade in what is best for your fans & members for $$. Your code is in an even more precarious position financially then the profit making NRL , so look forward to a lot more Thursday nights in future to appease Ch 7 & their demand to get bang for their buck :cool:
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

To be fair crowds have never been a strong suit of the nrl - afl still for 27000 - which the nrl would see as a bonanza. But agree for the afl it is very low. Thursday nights aren’t new and have gotten crowds in the past - so wondering what is going on now?

If the afl wanted to sell out they’d drop compulsory live games shown into non traditional markets - which they take a hit on and would have a night grand final.
Veni, vidi, vici
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

Fred wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:34 pm
To be fair crowds have never been a strong suit of the nrl - afl still for 27000 - which the nrl would see as a bonanza. But agree for the afl it is very low. Thursday nights aren’t new and have gotten crowds in the past - so wondering what is going on now?

If the afl wanted to sell out they’d drop compulsory live games shown into non traditional markets - which they take a hit on and would have a night grand final.
i wonder how the AFL would go with 1 Thursday game per week and 2 friday games.

So much hate towards Thursday in AFL circles i have read from fans.

NRL can get a crowd of 20k at Panthers stadium and it is way louder than a 40k crowd at the MCG
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

I hear nothing but positive for afl Thursday night. Also helps with no concurrent or less concurrent games. Yeah A fill stadium, no matter the size, is always good. Afl have to have mcg due to getting 70 k plus crowds regularly over the years of course, however when they play low drawing teams it can be an issue. Hence marvel stadium.
Veni, vidi, vici
truthbomber
Banned

Post by truthbomber »

Fred wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:34 pm

but but but , its bigger den da NRL .. its biiigggeerrrrrr :lol: :lol: :rofl: :rofl: :(/ :(/

not knowing the day , now not knowing the crowd ... it was 21000 dopey & even thats hardly the point
The point is what the crowd would of been if it was played some other time over the weekend . Also with the exception of the season opener & the one on Easter eve on Thursday nights .. ALL crowds on other Thursdays for the derps & misses are way down on what they would have been if they'd been played at other times.
There aren't that many played on Thursdays & that will change as the aflol sells its soul to pay the bills.
They have nothing new to offer broadcasters so will need to change the schedule to get an increase & fans will suffer as a result

there will be a set number of exclusive STV games for the aflol just like there is for the NRL , meaning non vicderpians will be forced to pay to watch some of their sides games , this will appease foxtel but upset Ch 7 , so how does the FTA broadcaster get compensated ?... almost every week will feature a thursday night game & from 2025 the GF will be a twilight game , could be as early as 2023 as Ch 7 is laying heaps of pressure on , but read it as read , its a 6pm game from 2025 regardless ,

its time to pay the bills & the fans & twadition can go to hell :cool:
Last edited by truthbomber on Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users liked the author truthbomber for the post:
leeroy*NRL* (Sun Jun 12, 2022 12:11 pm)
truthbomber
Banned

Post by truthbomber »

Fred wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 3:44 pm
I hear nothing but positive for afl Thursday night. Also helps with no concurrent or less concurrent games. Yeah A fill stadium, no matter the size, is always good. Afl have to have mcg due to getting 70 k plus crowds regularly over the years of course, however when they play low drawing teams it can be an issue. Hence marvel stadium.
yea but you're a deluded fool , you hear what you want to hear .... mainly voices in your head.

Trust me clown
as a fan , no one wants to attend a game on Thursday night ahead of the other time slots , you have work the following day , school etc & no sport puts games on a Thursday night except to please their broadcast masters & get the bills paid
When they become a regular feature of the schedule in the aflol like they have in the NRL for the last 10 seasons , they will have a hugely detrimental effect on attendances , nothing surer.

welcome to the real world fumblers :cool:
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

Freddy, sometimes to hear negatives you have to go out of your bubble.

Ready many AFL columns, Socials, Twitter, the fans in the majority do not like Thursday Night Games.

It is all the same complaints just like what we get in the NRL>

it is a work night, it is hard for families and kids to attend. you get home at midnight. etc etc..

Thursday's tend to rate alright too on the TV not as good as Friday but decent.
AFL has been slowly getting more Thursdays, next tv DEAL will have you with a Thursday every round, to please the networks
and go against the NRL
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

leeroy*NRL* wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 12:10 pm

Ready many AFL columns, Socials, Twitter, the fans in the majority do not like Thursday Night Games.

it is a work night, it is hard for families and kids to attend. you get home at midnight. etc etc..

AFL has been slowly getting more Thursdays, next tv DEAL will have you with a Thursday every round, to please the networks
and go against the NRL
Leroy - I expect better from you re : your comment on going outside my bubble. I live in Qld - way outside an afl
Bubble. I’m the one who championed you as a moderator based on you being fair and reasonable. I’m just saying how I see it. I too read widely and my perception is that it is liked. Of course it has its detractiers and cons associated with it, but I am in support of Thursday night. I would be up for every round having a Thursday night game.
These users liked the author Fred for the post:
leeroy*NRL* (Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:55 pm)
Veni, vidi, vici
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

Fred wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:21 pm

and go against the NRL
Leroy - I expect better from you re : your comment on going outside my bubble. I live in Qld - way outside an afl
Bubble. I’m the one who championed you as a moderator based on you being fair and reasonable. I’m just saying how I see it. I too read widely and my perception is that it is liked. Of course it has its detractiers and cons associated with it, but I am in support of Thursday night. I would be up for every round having a Thursday night game.
i think you are taking my comment to far...
Me saying out of the bubble, i was meaning out of your normal news threads what you listen too.
sometimes to get negatives of the overall way the game is going, you have to follow different sources..

as some sauces will not make it look so cherry and negativity..
I may be wrong with your views...

What i have come across in regards to Thursday Night from Both Codes from majority not all, is that Thursday is great for TV but not to attend.
Quolls2019
Coach
Coach
Team: North Melbourne
Been liked: 119 times

Post by Quolls2019 »

leeroy*NRL* wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:51 pm

and go against the NRL
Me saying out of the bubble, i was meaning out of your normal news threads what you listen too.
sometimes to get negatives of the overall way the game is going, you have to follow different sources..

What i have come across in regards to Thursday Night from Both Codes from majority not all, is that Thursday is great for TV but not to attend.
I would think the AFL would only be disappointed in last Thursday nights crowd, the other Thursday nights have had quite reasonable crowds.
This shows the Thursday night game attendances and the lowest attendance of that round (in brackets), excepting WA & SA home games as they still had crowd restrictions nor have I included GC or GWS home games as the are habitually low.

17/3/22 Carlton v Richmond MCG 72,179 (25,100)
24/3/22 Western Bulldogs v Carlton Marvel 34,962 (14,204)
31/3/22 Western Bulldogs v Sydney Marvel 24,327 (19,817)
07/4/22 Port Adelaide v Melbourne Adelaide 23,058 (20,505)
15/4/22 Brisbane v Collingwood Gabba 32,312 (18,724)
09/6/22 Richmond v Port Adelaide MCG 21,757 (13,742)

Not too bad at all really.
No idea why the Richmond game was poorly attended…the weather, Port..or Richmond off the boil?

I have had a cursory look at the NRL Thursday night games…oh dear. More forthcoming.
There are lies, damn lies and then there are ratings.
Rugby league, Australias most popular game in some of North Eastern Australia.
truthbomber
Banned

Post by truthbomber »

Quolls2019 wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:52 pm

I would think the AFL would only be disappointed in last Thursday nights crowd, the other Thursday nights have had quite reasonable crowds.
This shows the Thursday night game attendances and the lowest attendance of that round (in brackets), excepting WA & SA home games as they still had crowd restrictions nor have I included GC or GWS home games as the are habitually low.

No idea why the Richmond game was poorly attended…the weather, Port..or Richmond off the boil?

I have had a cursory look at the NRL Thursday night games…oh dear. More forthcoming.
typical head up his ass bubble dwelling fumbler talking here :lol: :rofl: :rofl: :(/ :(/ :(/

wait til you've had 250 Thursday night games , that aren't on the eve of a public holiday or early in the year when the weather is warmer like most of those are there , then you'll see your cwowds ( already falling off a cliff in 2022 ) on Thursdays be just a tad 8-[

TV is stepping in , jam your twadition up your asses in tight shorts , we're running this show now
you want an increase ?

bend over :twisted:
Quolls2019
Coach
Coach
Team: North Melbourne
Been liked: 119 times

Post by Quolls2019 »

truthbomber wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:24 am
Quolls2019 wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:52 pm

typical head up his ass bubble dwelling fumbler talking here :lol: :rofl: :rofl: :(/ :(/ :(/

wait til you've had 250 Thursday night games , that aren't on the eve of a public holiday or early in the year when the weather is warmer like most of those are there , then you'll see your cwowds ( already falling off a cliff in 2022 ) on Thursdays be just a tad 8-[

TV is stepping in , jam your twadition up your asses in tight shorts , we're running this show now
you want an increase ?

bend over :twisted:
Another incredibly unintelligent response.
You are certainly predictable.
And your consistent (predictable) use of but, buts are, well, hypocritical.
Emojis are your friends.
There are lies, damn lies and then there are ratings.
Rugby league, Australias most popular game in some of North Eastern Australia.