GWS / SUNS >> How much more dollars

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
truthbomber
Banned
Team: Cobar Roosters
Been liked: 57 times

Re: GWS / SUNS >> How much more dollars

Post by truthbomber »

Fred wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:50 pm
truthbomber wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:33 pm
Pete__09 wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:04 pm
No one follows footy in Western Sydney. Everyone knows that. Its a Rugby League/Soccer area. We get it!

Enjoy those 2 sports while the rest of the country follows the footy.
the rest of the country ? :hmm:

:(/ :(/ :(/ :rofl: :rofl: :lol: :lol: :lol:
below is a list of places not in Western Sydney where Rugby League is clearly the numb one sport , now Petey could you point me to which country they're in please ?

Canberra 440K
Wollongong 330K
Newcastle 460K
central coast 250K
Brisbane 2.6 Mill
Gold Coast 700K
Bathurst 40K
Goulburn 25K
Orange 30K
Dubbo 40K
Tamworth 40K
Armidale 30K
Rockhampton 80K
Gladstone 50K
Toowoomba 60K
Mackay 60K
Townsville 180K
Cairns 140K

:cool:
If WA, SA, NT and Tassie are dismissed as minor or desert waste lands due to their population - what does this mean for these towns? Plus- you can play Aussie Rules at a club in all those towns too.
8-[

:-k

:lol: :lol: :rofl: :rofl: :(/ :(/ :(/ :(/

why are fumblers such mongs
more people in those few towns then all of Vicderpia
& yes
if you're an expat sthn dribbler you can do whatever you want in these towns .. & get laughed at :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
leeroy*NRL*
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Been liked: 67 times

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

Expansion clubs Greater Western Sydney and Gold Coast were the AFL’s most funded teams of the last decade, while St Kilda was the Victorian side given the most financial support.

Including 2021 estimates, the Giants reportedly received $203 million in funding since 2012, leading the Suns ($198m), Brisbane Lions ($160m), St Kilda ($156m)
Fred
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood
Been liked: 156 times

Post by Fred »

Is that over and above the yearly allocation from the AFL - as each club gets a share of income I believe but obviously some clubs get more depending on need (I guess). Obviously a start up club would get more, particuarly one set up from scratch in a non- traditional area. Makes we wonder what is going on for Saint Kilda - and Brisbane for that matter given how long they have been around.
Veni, vidi, vici
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

Fred wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 11:25 am
Is that over and above the yearly allocation from the AFL - as each club gets a share of income I believe but obviously some clubs get more depending on need (I guess). Obviously a start up club would get more, particuarly one set up from scratch in a non- traditional area. Makes we wonder what is going on for Saint Kilda - and Brisbane for that matter given how long they have been around.
it works out to be around $10million extra per year, above AFL allocation to Giants
NRL&NFLweLaughATAFL2
Rookie
Rookie
Team: Manly
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 6 times

Post by NRL&NFLweLaughATAFL2 »

They should just call themselves CWS Giants. Canberra Western Sydney. You can't represent two cities when your name only represents one city.

They will never gain traction in Western Sydney with the way they are going at the moment. Western Sydney is a working class area. Is not all hipster and woke like Melbourne & Inner Sydney.

To be honest I think AFL is too alien a game to ever get popular in Western Sydney. The culture of the game will never resonate with people in that area
AFL would be seen a dorks sport by most young people there.

Basketball, League & Soccer is all most people play there.
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

the AFL will just keep funnelling money into GWS but slowly add more games to canberra

to help boost the losses $$ and gain some traction
truthbomber
Banned

Re: Tasmania

Post by truthbomber »

oh dear god 8-[

the delusion , the hilarious delusion :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
This silly little half a country game is failing in NSW/ACT & QLD , like its palpably failing financially
but
this won't stop its nut bag fans insisting they should expand further into these markets

I mean
even their beloved kitty kat wions with all their success atm can't make ends meet , but sure
more sides in NSW & QLD

complete wankers :lol: :lol: :rofl: :rofl: :(/ :(/ :(/
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

truthbomber wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 10:03 am

Thanks for the link. I agree, I think there are still a lot of clubs that get extra from the AFL - the article covering 10 years of funding highlights Sums and GWS figures to be expected - given they are started up clubs. St Kila, North, Melbourne, Bulldogs is interesting - that they also get extra.

So on one hand, you could ask "can the afl afford a new team let alone 2?". On the other hand, will sending a team to Tassie relieve some of that stress if they set it up that the Tassie government covers a lot of the funding - giving they are lobbying heavily for the team. This may then free up more funding for a third team - which will also be a drain on the finances if goes to a non-traditional area - so could this be a plus for an Adelaide team coming in?

We will have to wait and see - many different possibilities
Veni, vidi, vici
truthbomber
Banned

Post by truthbomber »

Fred wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 11:14 am
truthbomber wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 10:03 am

Thanks for the link. I agree, I think there are still a lot of clubs that get extra from the AFL - the article covering 10 years of funding highlights Sums and GWS figures to be expected - given they are started up clubs. St Kila, North, Melbourne, Bulldogs is interesting - that they also get extra.

So on one hand, you could ask "can the afl afford a new team let alone 2?". On the other hand, will sending a team to Tassie relieve some of that stress if they set it up that the Tassie government covers a lot of the funding - giving they are lobbying heavily for the team. This may then free up more funding for a third team - which will also be a drain on the finances if goes to a non-traditional area - so could this be a plus for an Adelaide team coming in?

We will have to wait and see - many different possibilities
And when they're ( thuns /midgets) still getting significant assistance like the wions are now after 35 years ... will they still be start up clubs then ?
The wions are getting almost as much as those 2 basket cases & they're running 2nd & have been a top 4 club for the last 3 years
If that isn't alarming then I don't know what is

the tas govt taking on all the burden financially of a new side there will not assist the aflol's financial woes unless its one of the money drains going down there ( suns or midgets)
The other one should go to WA to become their 3rd team.
There is only enough support for one fumbling team in QLD & NSW ( the sport just doesn't have the traction) .. & until the egotistical aflol admit this .. things will continue to be grim

no shame in waving a white flag
RL has won the war & our heartland is secure. :cool:
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

There are plenty of people playing Aussie rules in nsw and Qld. I would argue, however, that, as you say, there is no traction (and I’d agree re: western Sydney) that is the very reason they should be trying to grow the game. Tassie is a given. Gws playing so many games in Canberra I believe is a mistake. Putting the 20th team in Canberra (where there seems more support than in western Sydney) rectifies that mistake and allows focus gor gws to be local and for local’s to more likely to see it as their team (although has the damage been done?). I think WA is not big enough for another team - yet, and feel if they don’t go with Canberra than Adelaide would be the go with say a Norwood possibly. The outlier I feel is a Northerm team playing Darwin, Alice Springs, Cairns, Townsville - but I don’t like that idea at all.
Veni, vidi, vici
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach
Team: The Scottish Puffins
Been liked: 75 times

Post by AFLcrap1 »

Lol things are going great .
We could say we told you so but I suspect those in the cult will ignore what the Syd AFL people say & go with t Dills propaganda .
He's an expert at it

Shocking figures reveal the AFL's $200million push into western Sydney is FAILING - with calls for the league to help the GWS Giants land Dustin Martin
* New figures show that just one per cent of western Sydney residents play AFL
* The Giants have slumped to 15th on the AFL ladder and their coach has quit
* Despite a $200 million AFL cash injection, AFL is last of 11 sports followed
* Former Swans boss warns the NRL's $800 million stadiums project will bury AFL

By JOSH ALSTON FOR DAILY MAIL AUSTRALIA
PUBLISHED: 14:59 AEST, 14 May 2022 | UPDATED: 15:03 AEST, 14 May 2022

New statistics reveal the AFL's massive push into the western suburbs has been a categoric failure with soccer and NRL-sanctioned sports smashing the GWS Giants in nearly every area.
Figures revealed by The Weekend Australian have revealed that just one per cent of participants in sport in the important Parramatta heartland are playing Aussie Rules, compared to a staggering 47 per cent participation rate in soccer and 24 per cent in rugby league when touch football and Oztag are included.
Of 11 sports covered in the participation rates, Aussie Rules sits dead last. 

It's a hugely disappointing finding considering the AFL has tipped an estimated $200million into the region over the last decade in a bid to gain ground on sports like rugby league and soccer.

Dustin Martin has been connected to a possible move to the Giants. The Richmond superstar lived in Sydney for a year as teenager and is reportedly increasingly fond of life in the city, where he recently spent a month training with Paul Gallen while on personal leave from footy.
Speaking earlier this month, GWS chief executive David Matthews said Martin was a 'genuine superstar of our game' and noted several players had opted to leave Melbourne for the harbour city.
AFL CEO Gillon McLachlan has ruled out giving GWS any financial help to land Martin, but the findings about the game's failings in western Sydney could force the league to revise that stance. 
While the numbers at grassroots level are shocking, the performance of the top flight team the GWS Giants is hardly inspiring in 2022, either. The club sits 15th on the ladder and has just parted ways with coach Leon Cameron.
In contrast, the Penrith Panthers won the 2021 NRL premiership, Parramatta contested the finals and the Western Sydney Wanderers were A-League champions in their first season, Asian Cup winners in their second and are perennial finalists that attract huge crowds. 
The AFL continues to pump money into the region to boost the sport's profile and participation with seven new AFL facilities constructed and upgrades approved for 13 other clubs in the last decade. 

Former Sydney Swans chairman Richard Colless said the AFL had seriously underestimated rugby league heartlands in NSW and believes the code has ignored key regions including the Hunter Valley and Illawarra - where 27 per cent of the Australian population he lives.
Colless warned that the NRL's $800million war chest to develop suburban grounds could be a hammer blow to Aussie Rules participation in the state.
'This is the world rugby league heartland and I fear the AFL may have massively underestimated the power and craftiness of rugby league,' he said.
'I reckon if all suburban grounds are materially upgraded and with no draft it will lead to greater local links being created. It will be back to the good old days [for the NRL].'

Despite the damning figures, AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan said the Giants are 'a success story'.
'The Giants have unquestionably been a success story for our game and in the broader Australian sporting landscape with three teams across men's and women's elite sport and while they have reached great heights on-field, they have also continued to expand their footprint at an extraordinary rate,' he said.
'Given the base the club has built in new territory in just 11 years, there is no doubt it is going to be a very powerful and large club attracting generations of fans for decades to come.'

Lol lol lol
TLPG 🤣liar extraordinaire
You should thank me for publishing your IP

and I never published any actual IP. That's it.
🤣
I was a mod at the time .
Xman wrote
I also gave them to TLPG believing he was still a mod.I admit I made a mistake.
:^o :^o
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

Surprised RL/OzTag and Touch when combined had participation was so low 24 percent- but agree - Aussie Rules is struggling in Western Sydney - well it always struggled - but GWS doesn't seem to have had the impact it wanted - reminiscent of the early days of the Swans - they need to get out of Canberra I believe as a first step - locals aren't buying into the team.
Veni, vidi, vici
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

it never even close to succeeded, it is one big fail at current.

Interesting point on why he thinks this..

Former Sydney Swans chairman Richard Colless said the AFL had seriously underestimated rugby league heartlands in NSW and believes the code has ignored key regions including the Hunter Valley and Illawarra - where 27 per cent of the Australian population he lives.
Colless warned that the NRL's $800million war chest to develop suburban grounds could be a hammer blow to Aussie Rules participation in the state.
'This is the world rugby league heartland and I fear the AFL may have massively underestimated the power and craftiness of rugby league,' he said.
'I reckon if all suburban grounds are materially upgraded and with no draft it will lead to greater local links being created. It will be back to the good old days [for the NRL].'
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

6000 At the Suns on Sunday >>
Yes it had some rain on the day,

Titans 3 wins for season
Suns 4 wins for season

apparently it has rained on the gold coast 90- days out of the last 130 days.
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

I posted on FB that it feels like it has been raining since before Christmas - which people agreed.
Veni, vidi, vici