What does the addition of the Dolphins mean for AFL in Qld?

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
NRL&NFLweLaughATAFL2
Rookie
Rookie
Team: Manly
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 6 times

What does the addition of the Dolphins mean for AFL in Qld?

Post by NRL&NFLweLaughATAFL2 »

Curious on your thoughts with this?

The NRL will have twice the number of teams as the AFL in Queensland when the Dolphins are added in 2023 and will definitely add a lot of excitement to the NRL competition there.
Not only that, they are a club with very deep pockets to promote the new team. They are said to have an assets base of 100 million.

Do you think an extra NRL team in Queensland will be something AFL, The Sun & Lions will be talking about?
Fred
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood
Been liked: 156 times

Re: What does the addition of the Dolphins mean for AFL in Qld?

Post by Fred »

I think it’s a good question. Personally, I don’t think it would be talking point amongst the Suns and/or Lions. Maybe the AFL have had a look at it strategically but I’m guessing not too much. I think there is plenty of room for another NRL team in a rugby league dominated Queensland - may one or two more, I think the Lions are pretty established now so don’t think it will take away anything from them nor impact any growth. I think the days of tge “us v them” days have slowly drifted away - that people can follow two or theee sports and don’t see it as being either/or type thing. Re: the Suns- they have their own battles - of which I think the dolphins are not even a consideration to be honest. In short- I don’t think so re : dolphins re: concern to AFL. My own thinking is the NRL should have has a team in Perth at least at the same time - but if only one, I think they should have gone to Perth - I don’t think having another team in Brisbane is expanding per se.

Also - thanks for the genuine question - let’s hope the responses remain sensible and on topic, void of the usual childish antics that has driven many away. I plead with the moderates to do their job on this thread.
These users liked the author Fred for the post:
leeroy*NRL* (Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:53 pm)
Veni, vidi, vici
Quolls2019
Coach
Coach
Team: North Melbourne
Been liked: 119 times

Post by Quolls2019 »

I don’t see the Dolphins competing against or effecting the AFL in Queensland at all.
I can them see having a negative impact on the Broncos.
As I’ve said before, the Dolphins will take some of the Broncos crowd on their introduction.
It will probably take the second year to work itself out, but I would expect the Brisbane crowd to go down with the overall Queensland attendance going up a little.
There are lies, damn lies and then there are ratings.
Rugby league, Australias most popular game in some of North Eastern Australia.
NRL&NFLweLaughATAFL2
Rookie
Rookie

Fred wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:19 pm
I think it’s a good question. Personally, I don’t think it would be talking point amongst the Suns and/or Lions. Maybe the AFL have had a look at it strategically but I’m guessing not too much. I think there is plenty of room for another NRL team in a rugby league dominated Queensland - may one or two more, I think the Lions are pretty established now so don’t think it will take away anything from them nor impact any growth. I think the days of tge “us v them” days have slowly drifted away - that people can follow two or theee sports and don’t see it as being either/or type thing. Re: the Suns- they have their own battles - of which I think the dolphins are not even a consideration to be honest. In short- I don’t think so re : dolphins re: concern to AFL. My own thinking is the NRL should have has a team in Perth at least at the same time - but if only one, I think they should have gone to Perth - I don’t think having another team in Brisbane is expanding per se.

Also - thanks for the genuine question - let’s hope the responses remain sensible and on topic, void of the usual childish antics that has driven many away. I plead with the moderates to do their job on this thread.
Totally agree with you there. New markets like Perth & Adelaide would have been far better options.
Like can you imagine the NRL without a Melbourne Storm, the most consistent and best Rugby League team in the world.
If a team can work in AFL mad Melbourne, it could work in Perth & Adelaide too.

Yeah probably is room for all teams to stay healthy.
These users liked the author NRL&NFLweLaughATAFL2 for the post:
Fred (Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:11 am)
Pippen1994
Reserves
Reserves
Team: Parra
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Pippen1994 »

Quolls2019 wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:34 pm
I don’t see the Dolphins competing against or effecting the AFL in Queensland at all.
I can them see having a negative impact on the Broncos.
As I’ve said before, the Dolphins will take some of the Broncos crowd on their introduction.
It will probably take the second year to work itself out, but I would expect the Brisbane crowd to go down with the overall Queensland attendance going up a little.
Broncos crowds will go up because of Derby. Rivalry will actually galvanize game in city & see an increase in btonocs membership too. When wanderers entered a league, not only did new team match numbers of Sydney fc, that team saw increase in crowds & membership as well.
Pippen1994
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Pippen1994 »

NRL game in Brisbane every week will make it harder for lions press to be heard. If they can't perform on field expect a return to dark days..
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

Pippen1994 wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:24 pm

NRL game in Brisbane every week will make it harder for lions press to be heard. If they can't perform on field expect a return to dark days..
This is true - they will take a lot of the press at first no doubt - also away from other Nrl and RU clubs too I suspect- but given the Lion”s have been through a long horror stretch not so long ago, I think they have enough rusted on supporters to be okay and have a decent enough foothold now.
Veni, vidi, vici
Quolls2019
Coach
Coach
Team: North Melbourne
Been liked: 119 times

Post by Quolls2019 »

It wll be an interesting couple of years, but it will take 2 or 3 to get an accurate picture, the 1st year should be good on all counts.
Where the next team comes from will be important, the NRL couldn’t tolerate a bye each week for too long could they?
There are lies, damn lies and then there are ratings.
Rugby league, Australias most popular game in some of North Eastern Australia.
NRL&NFLweLaughATAFL2
Rookie
Rookie

Rugby League will definitely get even more coverage in Queensland than it already has with an an extra team I think.
Terry
Coach
Coach
Team: Wests Tigers
Been liked: 163 times

Post by Terry »

A 2nd Brisbane team is way overdue. In fact they should never have canned the crushers. As others have said it will be a rivalry for the city. It will provide a game of NRL every week hence more live supporters. It will increase Brisbane,s RL TV ratings hence more overall.

Brisbane/Qld kids will have another team to play for in their home state. More money will flow into the game. The game will get even more media exposure. Yep, there are no disadvantages.

As for Qld fumbling - who cares. One thing for sure though.........it won't make anything easier for 'em.
Pete__09
Reserves
Reserves
Team: Brisbane Lions
Been liked: 17 times

Post by Pete__09 »

You are correct. The only thing that will make the lions bigger & more popular is winning the premiership & I can see it happening this year. That would be the Broncos & the dolphins worst nightmare if that happened.
Pippen1994
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Pippen1994 »

Pete__09 wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:08 pm
You are correct. The only thing that will make the lions bigger & more popular is winning the premiership & I can see it happening this year. That would be the Broncos & the dolphins worst nightmare if that happened.
They won 3 of them then went bankrupt a few seasons later. Ppl like a winner but culture doesn't change. In Sydney, swans still hidden on secondary channel despite years of on field success. Ppl just don't give a shit about that sport here.
Pete__09
Reserves
Reserves
Team: Brisbane Lions
Been liked: 17 times

Post by Pete__09 »

Yeah I agree. AFL definitely is not popular in Sydney or Brisbane when both teams are losing.
leeroy*NRL*
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Been liked: 67 times

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

Big thing about the Entry of the Dolphins is Media Attention >> which to fill the gaps
means some other sports get none or less

it is not a small club or a made up club from scratch. it already has years of history.
DOLPHINS are a big club entering QLD Market..

Crowds will be healthy while not huge.
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

Have the Dolphins been given any assistance or special conditions - draft picks, salary cap, playing list etc.?
Veni, vidi, vici