Channel 9 signs $650mill tv Deal

Rugby League news and discussion.
leeroy*NRL*
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Been liked: 67 times

Re: Channel 9 signs $650mill tv Deal

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

in terms of ch9 deal over term of broadcast.
viewers have have been lost to Fox... which is on them due to poor broadcast..
while Streaming on 9now has lifted.

this is where ch9 should have forked out more, as this is the future.
Quolls2019
Coach
Coach
Team: North Melbourne
Been liked: 119 times

Post by Quolls2019 »

Terry wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:50 am
Fred wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:17 am
Could you add fox as well into that ? Just want to know the total figure (I get fox is an estimate for nrl)
Fred, the Fox deal is commercial in confidence. Meaning the figure cannot be released. I suspect this was done because the NRL got much more than the AFL and Fox want to spare Gilty and the boyos the embarrassment.

As such we won't know the total figure unless the Fox number is eventually released. The great Roy Masters said the Fox deal was $300M. The mug punter bumsniffing Wookie guessed it was $238M. It will be much closer to Roys figure than the mug punter. Meaning the total will be well over $400M.
I would suspect that if FOX paid more for the NRL than the AFL V’Landys wouldn’t have been able to shut-up about it.
Therefore: no.
There are lies, damn lies and then there are ratings.
Rugby league, Australias most popular game in some of North Eastern Australia.
Fred
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood
Been liked: 156 times

Post by Fred »

leeroy*NRL* wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 1:43 pm
Telstra rights for NRL and AFL are pretty much identical.
around $60mill each

Does the telstra part include naming rights / sponsorship as well ? Or was that previous years ?
Veni, vidi, vici
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach
Team: The Scottish Puffins
Been liked: 75 times

Post by AFLcrap1 »

Quolls2019 wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:49 am
Could you add fox as well into that ? Just want to know the total figure (I get fox is an estimate for nrl)
Fred, the Fox deal is commercial in confidence. Meaning the figure cannot be released. I suspect this was done because the NRL got much more than the AFL and Fox want to spare Gilty and the boyos the embarrassment.

As such we won't know the total figure unless the Fox number is eventually released. The great Roy Masters said the Fox deal was $300M. The mug punter bumsniffing Wookie guessed it was $238M. It will be much closer to Roys figure than the mug punter. Meaning the total will be well over $400M.
I would suspect that if FOX paid more for the NRL than the AFL V’Landys wouldn’t have been able to shut-up about it.
Oh dear .
Terry said the deal was in confidence .
So as much as PVL would like to boast he can't ....He didn't get where is is today by breaking a deal .
You do know what a confidentiality agreement is don't you ?
These users liked the author AFLcrap1 for the post:
leeroy*NRL* (Sun Dec 26, 2021 3:36 pm)
TLPG 🤣liar extraordinaire
You should thank me for publishing your IP

and I never published any actual IP. That's it.
🤣
I was a mod at the time .
Xman wrote
I also gave them to TLPG believing he was still a mod.I admit I made a mistake.
:^o :^o
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

Fred wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 1:27 pm
leeroy*NRL* wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 1:43 pm
Telstra rights for NRL and AFL are pretty much identical.
around $60mill each

Does the telstra part include naming rights / sponsorship as well ? Or was that previous years ?
Telstra sign a six-year sponsorship agreement with the NRL worth $90 million.

Telstra keep the naming rights to the NRL for the next six years, as well as securing exclusive rights to show vision from games on the internet and mobile phones.

Telstra will also spend $60m for online and mobile rights to the Australian Football League in a five-year deal starting this year,
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

PVL & NRL did a commercial in confidence agreement between the two parties..

i think you should do a good google search on what that actually means. :cheers:
Quolls2019
Coach
Coach
Team: North Melbourne
Been liked: 119 times

Post by Quolls2019 »

leeroy*NRL* wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 3:39 pm

i think you should do a good google search on what that actually means. :cheers:
I still say not more than the AFL….the NRL has more leaks than a coles colander, if they were getting more than the AFL they could not contain themselves….PVL never misses a chance to have a misguided go at the AFL.

For their next broadcast rights I believe the AFL have positioned themselves for a large increase in income, there are more players than 9 & fox now…and some have demonstrated that they are willing to pay big dollars for sports that few watch, imagine what they will pay when they are desperate for viewers.
There are lies, damn lies and then there are ratings.
Rugby league, Australias most popular game in some of North Eastern Australia.
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

Quolls2019 wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 4:11 pm

I still say not more than the AFL….the NRL has more leaks than a coles colander, if they were getting more than the AFL they could not contain themselves….PVL never misses a chance to have a misguided go at the AFL.

For their next broadcast rights I believe the AFL have positioned themselves for a large increase in income, there are more players than 9 & fox now…and some have demonstrated that they are willing to pay big dollars for sports that few watch, imagine what they will pay when they are desperate for viewers.
AFL is yet to finalise it's deal beyond 2025, so PVL cannot really say much..
Terry
Coach
Coach
Team: Wests Tigers
Been liked: 163 times

Post by Terry »

You can say whatever ya like pal. But it don't make it right. You really need to do a bit of research on commercial in confidence lest you continue to make a fool of yaself.
These users liked the author Terry for the post:
AFLcrap1 (Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:28 pm)
Terry
Coach
Coach
Team: Wests Tigers
Been liked: 163 times

Post by Terry »

leeroy*NRL* wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 4:31 pm

AFL is yet to finalise it's deal beyond 2025, so PVL cannot really say much..
I don't think PVL has said anything in relation to comparing the respective deals. That's been the jealous fumbling fans.
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach
Team: The Scottish Puffins
Been liked: 75 times

Post by AFLcrap1 »

Terry wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:28 am

You can say whatever ya like pal. But it don't make it right. You really need to do a bit of research on commercial in confidence lest you continue to make a fool of yaself.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Too late for that .
Was explained by you ....then me ..then Leeroy & he still reposted the same rot about PVL .
These fumble boys certainly live in a different reality to Normal folk .
These users liked the author AFLcrap1 for the post:
leeroy*NRL* (Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:23 pm)
TLPG 🤣liar extraordinaire
You should thank me for publishing your IP

and I never published any actual IP. That's it.
🤣
I was a mod at the time .
Xman wrote
I also gave them to TLPG believing he was still a mod.I admit I made a mistake.
:^o :^o
truthbomber
Banned
Team: Cobar Roosters
Been liked: 57 times

Post by truthbomber »

the NRLs new deal is in excess of 400 million a year . altho how much past 400 is unclear

Foxtel 240 to 250 mill ( currently paying around 220 mill reduced due to covid )
9 130 mill
NZ 33 mill

somewhere from 403 to 413 mill a year

its a bigger deal then 2018-2022 by some 23 to 33 million a year
Its an ok deal under the circumstances ( covid , no other bidders for the fta rights or pay rights ) & the increase has come from increased content , that being 12 extra games a year from 2023.

Now to the AFL's claim that they're getting 473 million a year from for the years 2023 & 2024
the old deal 2017-2022 was 418 million a year ( altho RN its less then that as they had to renegotiate their deals with ch 7 & foxtel due to covid as well)

broken down
Foxtel 220
Ch 7 148
telstra 50 ( for exclusive streaming rights )

Now for the new deal
The AFL are saying they're going to get 473 million for 23/24, an increase of 55 million a year.
Ch 7's deal has been extended through to the end of 2024 & there has been no reported increase there for those last 2 years . So the increase had to come from foxtel ..
But , foxtel went on the record & stated that they have only marginally increased the amount they're paying from the reduced covid amount to a bit more then the old amount in the original deal. No significant increase there.
Telstra no longer have the exclusive streaming rights , they're with foxtel now & have been since 2020.
their involvement in the AFL has been reduced to maintaining club websites & replays. Its unclear what they're paying for this , but it certainly isn't 50 million a year. No increase there & infact a significant reduction one would think.

so
where , where is this extra 55 million a year ( with less from telstra its actually a lot more then that ) coming from ?
The math does not add up & infact is weirdly all over the place.
pussycat Mark 11
Captain
Captain
Team: Easts
Been liked: 36 times

Post by pussycat Mark 11 »

I think when Gil brags about how much the AFL are getting in 2023-24 hes including Telstra 5g sponsorship money.
Australia's number 1 sport RUGBY LEAGUE. Preferred by more Australians than any other :cheers:
truthbomber
Banned
Team: Cobar Roosters
Been liked: 57 times

Post by truthbomber »

pussycat Mark 11 wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:55 am
I think when Gil brags about how much the AFL are getting in 2023-24 hes including Telstra 5g sponsorship money.
even if that was correct , the AFL only get 30.5 mill a year for all mobile content & naming rights

Foxtel 220 mill PA
lets bump that up to 230 to reflect their own view of what they're paying the AFL in 2023/24
"Not much changed from the original pre covid deal " foxtels words not mine.

Ch 7 148 mill PA

Telstra ??
lets say its 30 mill PA reflecting their new involvement in the game

thats only 408 million a year
not 473

:hmm:

8-[
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

truthbomber wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:06 pm
pussycat Mark 11 wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:55 am
even if that was correct , the AFL only get 30.5 mill a year for all mobile content & naming rights

Foxtel 220 mill PA
lets bump that up to 230 to reflect their own view of what they're paying the AFL in 2023/24
"Not much changed from the original pre covid deal " foxtels words not mine.

Ch 7 148 mill PA

Telstra ??
lets say its 30 mill PA reflecting their new involvement in the game

thats only 408 million a year
not 473

:hmm:

8-[
i thought the AFL were getting $60mill over 5 years from Telstra

"Telstra will also spend $60m for online and mobile rights to the Australian Football League in a five-year deal starting this year"

https://leagueunlimited.com/news/nrl-se ... worth-90m/