2021 - NRL - Rugby League TV Ratings

NRL, State of Origin and International football TV ratings and discussion.
Fred
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood
Been liked: 156 times

Re: 2021 - NRL - Rugby League TV Ratings

Post by Fred »

Were the Storm”s grand final ratings in Melbourne better than Sydney”s grand final”s ratings in Sydney? If so that’s pretty good as think one of the Grand Final”s with Sydney in rated really highly.
Veni, vidi, vici
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

pussycat Mark 11 wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:08 am
The storm ratings on PTV are the best in either code. And in exclusive FTA games, like the GF they rate better - way better, than any other expansion team.
Yet no one can show evidence of this with metro numbers for PTV and individual games. Right :roll:

As for exclusive FTA games such as a grand final. No team in any code comes anywhere close to the record numbers the Swans have attracted in the past in Sydney.

AFL grand final has bumper TV audience
2 Oct, 2016
AAP

The bumper TV ratings for Saturday's grand final highlight why the AFL is pouring hundreds of millions of dollars into the two northern expansion teams.

The Western Bulldogs's fairytale win over Sydney was the fourth most-watched game in AFL history.

The combined metro and regional average of 4.089 million viewers on the Seven Network was a whopping 16 per cent increase on last year's Hawthorn v West Coast grand final.

It also means the top six games are all Sydney grand finals.

The record remains Sydney's 1996 grand final loss to North Melbourne at 4.4 million, which narrowly beat their drought-breaking 2005 win over West Coast.

The Swans' grand final loss to West Coast in 2006 is third at 4.15 million.

Sydney's 2012 grand final win over Hawthorn and their '14 loss to the Hawks fill the next two spots.

The AFL have set up the Giants and Gold Coast clubs as the cornerstones of a long-term strategy to strengthen the game's presence in NSW and Queensland.

https://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/ ... v-audience
Terry
Coach
Coach
Team: Wests Tigers
Been liked: 163 times

Post by Terry »

Beaussie wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:28 am
The storm ratings on PTV are the best in either code. And in exclusive FTA games, like the GF they rate better - way better, than any other expansion team.
Yet no one can show evidence of this with metro numbers for PTV and individual games. Right :roll:

As for exclusive FTA games such as a grand final. No team in any code comes anywhere close to the record numbers the Swans have attracted in the past in Sydney.

2 Oct, 2016
AAP

The bumper TV ratings for Saturday's grand final highlight why the AFL is pouring hundreds of millions of dollars into the two northern expansion teams.

The Western Bulldogs's fairytale win over Sydney was the fourth most-watched game in AFL history.

The combined metro and regional average of 4.089 million viewers on the Seven Network was a whopping 16 per cent increase on last year's Hawthorn v West Coast grand final.

The record remains Sydney's 1996 grand final loss to North Melbourne at 4.4 million, which narrowly beat their drought-breaking 2005 win over West Coast.

Sydney's 2012 grand final win over Hawthorn and their '14 loss to the Hawks fill the next two spots.

The AFL have set up the Giants and Gold Coast clubs as the cornerstones of a long-term strategy to strengthen the game's presence in NSW and Queensland.

That's all great beatup.............but you got any comment about RL smashing fumbling in this years ratings battle?? Anything at all????

Will be waiting!!!!!!!!
These users liked the author Terry for the post:
AFLcrap1 (Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:41 pm)
pussycat Mark 11
Captain
Captain
Team: Easts
Been liked: 36 times

Post by pussycat Mark 11 »

Beaussie wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:28 am

2 Oct, 2016
AAP

All you need do is add up the total ratings for the home team on Fox each week, not that hard to do. The fact that they have dominated the top rating programs on Fox this year - last and every other should be a hint.

What were the Sydney ratings for the Swans on FTA? How far below the Storms in Melbourne?
Australia's number 1 sport RUGBY LEAGUE. Preferred by more Australians than any other :cheers:
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

I always thought, and happy to be corrected, that the Swan's generally rated higher in Sydney for FTA than the Storm did in Melbourne on FTA? As I said, happy to be corrected.

And I really did not understand this:
All you need do is add up the total ratings for the home team on Fox each week, not that hard to do. The fact that they have dominated the top rating programs on Fox this year - last and every other should be a hint.

When you say add up total ratings for Home teams on Fox what do you mean? If you mean just count the ratings for when they played at home? If so, how would this show anything - As Storm are a pretty polarising team (I think we can all agree on that) then I would suspect they also draw an audience from opposition supporters - plus being on top for so long makes many of their games "high interest" or "blockbusters" - hence more people watching.

Anyway - my initial post I expressed interest on ratings in each market (Sydney in Sydney and Melbourne in Melbourne) to see how each code if going outside their traditional markets. For me, that is a point of interest. As we do not have Fox figures I can only go by FTA - as we have these. You could argue more people watch RL on Fox but we would be going down that rabbit hole of ifs and buts - I just wanted a ball park figure.
Veni, vidi, vici
pussycat Mark 11
Captain
Captain
Team: Easts
Been liked: 36 times

Post by pussycat Mark 11 »

Fred, you were talking about non traditional markets for the codes ie. How the Storm rate in Melbourne, How the Swans rate in Sydney.

OF course the Storm rate higher in Sydney because Sydney is a RL market.

There total ratings on fox are higher than any other team, in either code (home or away). They also dominate the highest rating matches on Fox.

Fred why would the Melbourne Storm be any more polarising to an AFL supporter than the Sydney Swans
to a RL supporter?

Grand Finals are exclusive To FTA and the Storm ratings,in non traditional states are higher than that of any other expansion team in those games.
Australia's number 1 sport RUGBY LEAGUE. Preferred by more Australians than any other :cheers:
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

I thought that is what I said - how do each expansion team rate in their market. Storm in Melbourne and Swans in Sydney. If not, my apologies, that is what I meant. I wanted to see how well each is doing in each expansion town as I think that is the a good metric.

Re: rating high on Fox. That's great that the Storm rate high on Fox - higher than any other game of ether code.

Re: polarising - what I said was, Storm are a polarising team (meaning amongst RL folk not AFL folk) therefore this, I feel, would also contribute to higher ratings generally- as on Fox we don't have city by city breakdowns. So when storm playing at home, I think a lot of RL people are more inclined to watch - that, and they are generally a better standard of game - although some may argue that :).

On your Grand Finals - FTA. You are saying (I think) that the Storm rate higher in non-traditional states than that of any "expansion team in those games:. I am not sure what you mean by that last bit "expansion teams in those games". I do know that Swans rated really in well in Sydney in their Grand Finals and if Storm rated better in Melbourne in their Grand Finals - then well done Storm. I would like to see figures though.

To keep it simple - do the Storm rate better in Melbourne when playing in Grand Finals then the Swans do in Sydney when they play in Grand Finals. If so, would be good to see figures. I don't care either way - just want to know.
Veni, vidi, vici
truthbomber
Banned
Team: Cobar Roosters
Been liked: 57 times

Post by truthbomber »

Fred wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:00 pm
I thought that is what I said - how do each expansion team rate in their market. Storm in Melbourne and Swans in Sydney. If not, my apologies, that is what I meant. I wanted to see how well each is doing in each expansion town as I think that is the a good metric.

Re: rating high on Fox. That's great that the Storm rate high on Fox - higher than any other game of ether code.

Re: polarising - what I said was, Storm are a polarising team (meaning amongst RL folk not AFL folk) therefore this, I feel, would also contribute to higher ratings generally- as on Fox we don't have city by city breakdowns. So when storm playing at home, I think a lot of RL people are more inclined to watch - that, and they are generally a better standard of game - although some may argue that :).

On your Grand Finals - FTA. You are saying (I think) that the Storm rate higher in non-traditional states than that of any "expansion team in those games:. I am not sure what you mean by that last bit "expansion teams in those games". I do know that Swans rated really in well in Sydney in their Grand Finals and if Storm rated better in Melbourne in their Grand Finals - then well done Storm. I would like to see figures though.

To keep it simple - do the Storm rate better in Melbourne when playing in Grand Finals then the Swans do in Sydney when they play in Grand Finals. If so, would be good to see figures. I don't care either way - just want to know.
the Storm rated higher in melb then the swines did in Sydney every year when both were playing GF's in the same year & considerably too

in
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

Cheers
Veni, vidi, vici