Fight Club - Football TV Ratings (AFL vs NRL)

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
NlolRL
Coach
Coach
Team: Melbourne Demons
Been liked: 136 times

Re: Fight Club - Football TV Ratings

Post by NlolRL »

pussycat Mark 11 wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:33 pm
Wow how embarrassing for the AFL - How embarrassing for LOL. Rugby League gets 2.7million on Wednesday night and the AFL hit back with less than 700 thousand on Thursday night But, But, But 130k in isolation :(/ But, But, But :(/ :blahblah: :blahblah: :rock:
Was still number 1 non news program in 3 of the 5 biggest Australian cities. Still rated more in metros than almost every NRL game this year

But yeah, embarrassed
Fred
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood
Been liked: 156 times

Post by Fred »

Wow how embarrassing for the AFL - How embarrassing for LOL. Rugby League gets 2.7million on Wednesday night and the AFL hit back with less than 700 thousand on Thursday night But, But, But 130k in isolation :(/ But, But, But :(/ :blahblah: :blahblah: :rock:
Are you seriously comparing RL biggest event of the year to a home and away match....... seriously - I know you are having a bit of a laugh -....but seriously.
These users liked the author Fred for the post:
NlolRL (Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:30 pm)
Veni, vidi, vici
pussycat Mark 11
Captain
Captain
Team: Easts
Been liked: 36 times

Post by pussycat Mark 11 »

Fred wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:07 pm
Are you seriously comparing RL biggest event of the year to a home and away match....... seriously - I know you are having a bit of a laugh -....but seriously.

Of course I'm serious Fred its just another football match - Rugby League . And the Rugby League's Grand Final is the biggest game in the rugby league calendar. Bit jealous Fred? :mrgreen: certainly sounds like it.
Australia's number 1 sport RUGBY LEAGUE. Preferred by more Australians than any other :cheers:
pussycat Mark 11
Captain
Captain

NlolRL wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:45 pm
Was still number 1 non news program in 3 of the 5 biggest Australian cities. Still rated more in metros than almost every NRL game this year

But yeah, embarrassed
Finished lower than any Nrl regional's this year and WAY, WAY. WAY lower ratings than any nrl PTV in the past few decades :cheers:
Australia's number 1 sport RUGBY LEAGUE. Preferred by more Australians than any other :cheers:
leeroy*NRL*
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Been liked: 67 times

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

Fred wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:07 pm
funny thing on that...

Andrew Demetriou once quoted when in charge as the CEO

Quoted by his big fat ego head..

AFL does not need State of Origin... we play origin every week.
classic but true.
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

I think the AFL would love to have SoO be as successful as the QLD v NSW thing in RL. Problem I think is - when they did have it a lot of players were using it a rest week - so whilst they were playing at 90 percent for their club they were not willing, nor the clubs willing, to play SoO at 90 percent - preferring to rest up and recuperate. Basically, club footy was first and SoO second. I see a lot of players would like to have it back - and play - but when it comes to actually playing - I wonder if they, and club, are willing to sacrifice as possible premiership to play Origin. I remember Demetriou bringing in suspensions if players refused to play and needing the AFL approved doctor to declare them unfit etc. I think when it gets to that stage - it is done and dusted - threatening players with sanctions for not playing. I have the same thoughts re: Melbourne players - as a Victorian why would you want a player injured or suspended in a game in which your state isn't playing?

Also, with there being three big states in W.A Vic and S.A it takes away from the State V State thing intensity you get with only two states playing against each other. And there are so many players outside those states that could play - it is really not the best of the best.

Basically - people and players lost interest.
Veni, vidi, vici
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

Found this - a little complex but shows the scores from SoO in various formats for Australian rules. As you can see - whilst the odd blow out here and there - there was a mix of winners and not always Victoria winning.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstat ... 80%931999)
Veni, vidi, vici
NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

NRL smashed again. But I'm sure they must make up the difference of 240k with streaming alone

LOL
pussycat Mark 11
Captain
Captain

NlolRL wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:30 pm
NRL smashed again. But I'm sure they must make up the difference of 240k with streaming alone

LOL
A good result result I would call it . Many of the players were second stringer backing up from the 2.7 m game a couple of nights earlier. And the game still rated much better than that dribble you dished up Thursday Night :wink:
NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

pussycat Mark 11 wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:54 pm
NlolRL wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:30 pm

LOL
A good result result I would call it . Many of the players were second stringer backing up from the 2.7 m game a couple of nights earlier. And the game still rated much better than that dribble you dished up Thursday Night :wink:
Melbourne and Perth werent in lockdown on Thursday night, unlike Sydney last night
Terry
Coach
Coach
Team: Wests Tigers
Been liked: 163 times

Post by Terry »

Fred wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:17 pm
I think the AFL would love to have SoO be as successful as the QLD v NSW thing in RL. Problem I think is - when they did have it a lot of players were using it a rest week - so whilst they were playing at 90 percent for their club they were not willing, nor the clubs willing, to play SoO at 90 percent - preferring to rest up and recuperate. Basically, club footy was first and SoO second. I see a lot of players would like to have it back - and play - but when it comes to actually playing - I wonder if they, and club, are willing to sacrifice as possible premiership to play Origin. I remember Demetriou bringing in suspensions if players refused to play and needing the AFL approved doctor to declare them unfit etc. I think when it gets to that stage - it is done and dusted - threatening players with sanctions for not playing. I have the same thoughts re: Melbourne players - as a Victorian why would you want a player injured or suspended in a game in which your state isn't playing?

Also, with there being three big states in W.A Vic and S.A it takes away from the State V State thing intensity you get with only two states playing against each other. And there are so many players outside those states that could play - it is really not the best of the best.

Basically - people and players lost interest.
No Fred,
What killed your SOO was that it wasn't competitive year on year like the RL version. Victoria dominated with only occasional wins to SA or WA. Even this year when Qld looked pathetic they still won 1 outta 3 in the RL version.

However you are right to say fans and players lost interest..............but that was because it became boring as it wasn't competitive.
Terry
Coach
Coach

Post by Terry »

The_Wookie wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:06 pm
Terry wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:00 pm
yers lost interest.
No Fred,
What killed your SOO was that it wasn't competitive year on year like the RL version. Victoria dominated with only occasional wins to SA or WA. Even this year when Qld looked pathetic they still won 1 outta 3 in the RL version.

However you are right to say fans and players lost interest..............but that was because it became boring as it wasn't competitive.
Clubs killed origin by not making players available or allowing them to be available. Its that simple.
[/quote]

Yes they did, because the games became meaningless as they weren't consistently competitive. Players lost interest. Clubs lost interest. Fans lost interest. Had they been competitive and tv ratings equalled GF's like the RL version there is not a chance in the hell the clubs would have got in the way.
NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

Also, the talent was spread across the country with some of the best players coming from Tas, NSW and Qld. If the AFL was limited to 2 well-populated states like the NRL (yes NSW is > QLD) it may have worked. No way it could work with the spread of players across the nation. Look at state-level cricket, there's barely any passion at all despite the popularity of cricket. Look at the all-star games in the NBA, they're a joke, the players don't even defend.
Terry
Coach
Coach

Post by Terry »

The_Wookie wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:07 pm
Terry wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:29 pm

Yes they did, because the games became meaningless as they weren't consistently competitive. Players lost interest. Clubs lost interest. Fans lost interest. Had they been competitive and tv ratings equalled GF's like the RL version there is not a chance in the hell the clubs would have got in the way.
Your wrong and we'll never know anyway because even leagues state of origin ratings were tiny compared to today in the early 90s - and werent shown outside NSW/QLD live at all as far as Im aware.

But end of the day it was the clubs and later the AFLPA. Clubs didnt want to release players, so less and less of the best were available for Origin as the clubs were focussed on the flag. Fans lost interest because the Clubs did. Throw in the the general feeling that Adelaide and West Coast in particular effectively represented their states - and in fairness in the late 80s and 90s they did focus on SA/WA talent - as well as the fact that one off origin matches just didnt have any appeal to anyone. Low attendances followed - and attendance has always been a key driver of the leagues decision making process, tv was acceptable if not spectacular, low crowds werent.

Yep. All in all the lack of competitiveness killed it. In this case we're debating what came first........the chicken or the egg! You're saying the clubs killed the competitiveness by withdrawing players. I'm saying the lack of competitiveness and general interest is why the clubs withdrew players.

Once again its two great minds having a minor disagreement!!!
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

Having lived through that time I clearly remember the feel was that SoO was definetely a side show to club games . People enjoyed it and it seemed the south Aussie and Westerm Australians lived to beat the Vics but many players were missing matches as Club football was the priority. It was fun to play but if a weeks rest allowed so niggling injury a chance to recover the player would use that to rest up… but would play for their club with the same injury. That was basically it in a nutshell … players prioritised the club. When players are having to be threatened with suspension for not playing then it’s basically dead in the sand.

I’ll go back and look at the scores I posted but not sure it was always vic winning.

The other thing … having the swans player eligible to play for NSW and the Allues concept was the clutching at straws ib it’s final death throws.
Veni, vidi, vici