Rank the Codes in NSW

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
Fred
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood
Been liked: 156 times

Re: Rank the Codes in NSW

Post by Fred »

I don’t think the pacific island body type is suited to AFl as it is rugby and rugby league. Although there has been a couple in Afl.

As for Turks and Lebanese I would be interested to know that too. I would imagine there would have to be a few going around.

Still want to know how many Sudanese in NRL as there seems to be a few in and coming through in the AFL. I don’t think it is a race thing either... but not too sure why AFL has a few and not so much in NRL? Anyway care to comment or discuss. It could be an interesting topic.
Veni, vidi, vici
Quolls2019
Coach
Coach
Team: North Melbourne
Been liked: 119 times

Post by Quolls2019 »

This subject keeps coming up....I know not why
https://www.aflplayers.com.au/app/uploa ... e-2019.pdf

Isn’t this enough.
There are lies, damn lies and then there are ratings.
Rugby league, Australias most popular game in some of North Eastern Australia.
NRL&NFLweLaughATAFL2
Rookie
Rookie
Team: Manly
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 6 times

Post by NRL&NFLweLaughATAFL2 »

Fred wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 9:56 am
I don’t think the pacific island body type is suited to AFl as it is rugby and rugby league. Although there has been a couple in Afl.

As for Turks and Lebanese I would be interested to know that too. I would imagine there would have to be a few going around.

Still want to know how many Sudanese in NRL as there seems to be a few in and coming through in the AFL. I don’t think it is a race thing either... but not too sure why AFL has a few and not so much in NRL? Anyway care to comment or discuss. It could be an interesting topic.
I think eventually there might be some playing at NRL level

They are playing in Western Sydney. Would make great wingers ,fast and agile.

NRL&NFLweLaughATAFL2
Rookie
Rookie

Quolls2019 wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 6:41 pm
This subject keeps coming up....I know not why
https://www.aflplayers.com.au/app/uploa ... e-2019.pdf

Isn’t this enough.
Any footage of the game being actually played in those countries though.

Like Rugby League in Russia
NRL&NFLweLaughATAFL2
Rookie
Rookie

Quolls2019 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 1:34 pm
Pippen1994 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 10:47 am
Quolls2019 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 10:15 am

And when will that happen?
Don't know but odd that you'd boast about placement you pay for
Not odd at all, I agree that the 2 newer AFL clubs are dependant on the AFL, more than the Storm are dependant on the NRL...how much is debatable.
But they recoup it on broadcast rights and sponsorship, and when the AFL stops televising against itself, both those things will go up considerably.
It’s all about money, and both teams will be there for the long haul, because long term they are profitable for the league, not necessarily for themselves. GWS need to consolidate/promote their identity much better which will mean dumping Canberra as a part home.

Can Canberra sustain an AFL team? Yes but will need AFL support for some time and perhaps a wider geographical identity.
In the 70’s/80’s I think they would have been a shoo in.

And if the game wasn’t so popular in Melbourne there might well be more clubs interstate.
Been said for many years that Melbourne/Victoria can’t support so many teams, but they keep surviving...and will do so for the foreseeable future.
AFL has only lost 1 club during their national period and the VFl only 1 during their period.
Success and management, yep teams have had some bad times, and at times the league has tried very hard to get rid off, merge or transfer some....but it only happened once, (and in my humble opinion should not have).
How many teams have the NRL, NSW and Qld top level clubs have gone in that time?
Success breeds success, I will agree that rugby league and the NRL are more popular than Australian Rules and AFL in the northern states, but to say soccer beats AFL is stretching credibility...they are in dire straits....and even they know it.
Like I said before. The A League not being the worlds premier competition is what is holding it back.
Get any major football club like Manchester United to play in Sydney. They will gets bigger crowd than the Swans and Giants.

When AFL is'nt behind by a 100 local clubs in just Sydney alone, I might believe AFL is ahead.
Also when AFL can sustain 5 clubs in NSW I would take them seriously as being ahead of soccer.

Pretty much every school in Sydney has a soccer team too. This has never been the case with AFL here.

Always been lots of people here from the UK. They are never going to follow AFL.
Quolls2019
Coach
Coach

Post by Quolls2019 »

“Get any major football club like Manchester United to play in Sydney. They will gets bigger crowd than the Swans and Giants.”

As they would beat the NRL clubs too, as the Swans do now,.
A 1 off game, even a series of “marque” games proves nothing.
The swans average home attendance this year is 29,129 the average of the Sydney A League 6,465, with the highest being 8,189. By your logic the Swans are nearly five times as popular as the average A-League Sydney Side and close to twice as popular as all the Sydney sides combined.
Your logic not mine.
Whilst there are 10 teams in Victoria an increase in Sydney teams, is, not impossible, but unlikely.
These users liked the author Quolls2019 for the post:
Beaussie (Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:08 pm)
NRL&NFLweLaughATAFL2
Rookie
Rookie

Quolls2019 wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 4:41 pm
“Get any major football club like Manchester United to play in Sydney. They will gets bigger crowd than the Swans and Giants.”

As they would beat the NRL clubs too, as the Swans do now,.
A 1 off game, even a series of “marque” games proves nothing.
The swans average home attendance this year is 29,129 the average of the Sydney A League 6,465, with the highest being 8,189. By your logic the Swans are nearly five times as popular as the average A-League Sydney Side and close to twice as popular as all the Sydney sides combined.
Your logic not mine.
Whilst there are 10 teams in Victoria an increase in Sydney teams, is, not impossible, but unlikely.
Yes but both Rugby League and Soccer have more participating players and more clubs than AFL.

The only thing keeping AFL in the spotlight in NSW is the media and AFL itself.
General participation and interest in Soccer and Rugby League is light years ahead of AFL in NSW.

Soccer is ahead of Rugby League in clubs and participation. But doesn't have the media earnings for the sport with their local leagues.

AFL is not really a media earner in NSW. If it was the sport would be showed on Channel 7 instead of 7mate.
Even the AFL footy show is shown on Gem instead of Ch9.

Even with the top rating radio station 2GB. They only cover NRL games because that is where the audience is.
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

Could you post the participation numbers, clubs, leagues for afl in Sydney ?
Veni, vidi, vici
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

Which footy show are you taking about for afl ? But yes, afl being shown on 7 instead of 7mate would be a big key indicator.. agree. Not seeing too many RU or soccer tv shows being shown though ?
Veni, vidi, vici
Quolls2019
Coach
Coach

Post by Quolls2019 »

Follow the crowds, follow the money..
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

NRL&NFLweLaughATAFL2 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:53 pm
AFL is not really a media earner in NSW. If it was the sport would be showed on Channel 7 instead of 7mate.
Even the AFL footy show is shown on Gem instead of Ch9.

Even with the top rating radio station 2GB. They only cover NRL games because that is where the audience is.
Most Swans games this season have been broadcast on Channel 7. And as for Footy Shows we have the Front Bar on Channel 7 and the Sunday AFL Footy Show on 9 Gem. Pretty good coverage for AFL fans in NSW/ACT I reckon.

As for radio coverage of the AFL in Sydney/NSW, we have Triple M, ABC, SEN and AFL Nation through 2UE. Pretty impressive radio coverage I would have thought.

Bet all this AFL coverage in comparison to soccer and even rugby league irks you too. :(/
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

Fred wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:20 pm
Came across the following post over at Big Footy. Very encouraging for Australian Football grassroots development in NSW and QLD, particularly female participation numbers.

Walshawk said:

Very easy to look up the NSWAFL & play RL websites to see the true participation levels. You can see that there there are around half as many AR teams in Sydney and Brisbane compared to RL. Given an AF team requires more players, it is evident that Participation in team RL is now less than double that of AF. Female participation in AF is higher in both cities than RL.

Granted, this does not include those playing RL touch, but neither does it include Auskick, for which there is no genuine RL equivalent.

Any business that is pursuing a growth strategy like AFL in NSW and Qld will run at a loss. The problem for the NRL is that they can not afford a similar investment in growth.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/ ... t-70656258
Terry
Coach
Coach
Team: Wests Tigers
Been liked: 163 times

Post by Terry »

Beaussie wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:47 pm
Fred wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:20 pm
Came across the following post over at Big Footy. Very encouraging for Australian Football grassroots development in NSW and QLD, particularly female participation numbers.

Walshawk said:

Very easy to look up the NSWAFL & play RL websites to see the true participation levels. You can see that there there are around half as many AR teams in Sydney and Brisbane compared to RL. Given an AF team requires more players, it is evident that Participation in team RL is now less than double that of AF. Female participation in AF is higher in both cities than RL.

Granted, this does not include those playing RL touch, but neither does it include Auskick, for which there is no genuine RL equivalent.

Any business that is pursuing a growth strategy like AFL in NSW and Qld will run at a loss. The problem for the NRL is that they can not afford a similar investment in growth.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/ ... t-70656258

So your source is some fumbling blogger on bigfooty lolololololol!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Solid lololol!!!!!!!!!!!!
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

Better than I had imagined for Australian Football participation in NSW. :thumbleft:
AFL

According to AFL NSW/ACT, participation in Sydney’s north and around the city has rocketed by nearly 200 per cent over the last decade. Sport Australia’s AusPlay data shows that, between 2016 and 2019, adult AFL participation in NSW (71,325 in 2019) overtook rugby (52,999).

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/aus ... 57jtz.html

NRL

The number of players registering to play this season is already at 100,038 which is up 6.87 per cent on the corresponding time in 2019 (93,604). It is also up 17.2 per cent on the number of registered participants from last year (85,359).

https://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2021/04/3 ... ticipants/
Terry
Coach
Coach
Team: Wests Tigers
Been liked: 163 times

Post by Terry »

Beaussie wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:21 pm
Better than I had imagined for Australian Football participation in NSW. :thumbleft:
AFL

According to AFL NSW/ACT, participation in Sydney’s north and around the city has rocketed by nearly 200 per cent over the last decade. Sport Australia’s AusPlay data shows that, between 2016 and 2019, adult AFL participation in NSW (71,325 in 2019) overtook rugby (52,999).

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/aus ... 57jtz.html

NRL

The number of players registering to play this season is already at 100,038 which is up 6.87 per cent on the corresponding time in 2019 (93,604). It is also up 17.2 per cent on the number of registered participants from last year (85,359).

https://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2021/04/3 ... ticipants/

I think you'll find the difference is in the reporting. The AFL states 'participation rates'. Which in afl speak covers anything. And it says 'adult'. So are you trying to say the AFL in Sydney has 71k players over age 18???? Ya dreaming!!!! David Lawson proved the AFL just makes these numbers up for propaganda purposes.

The RL number is registered players. Which means registered to clubs in proper weekend comps. Then there is schools, camps, training programs, touch and oztag numbers. It's no comparison pal.