Fight Club - Football TV Ratings (AFL vs NRL)

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
Terry
Coach
Coach
Team: Wests Tigers
Been liked: 163 times

Re: Fight Club - Football TV Ratings

Post by Terry »

Fred wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 10:02 pm
The_Wookie wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 5:44 pm
TV ratings are based on a literal survey by oztam of around 10,000 households, the Roy Morgan survey is based on more than 61,000 people.

Soooo

And tv ratings are just one measure. Doesn’t mean most popular no more than who gets bigger crowds, or who gets higher memberships.
Ah Freddy lololololololol!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll dead-set be holding ya to this one pal. Next time you or one your fumbling mates uses the AFL's crowds or memberships as a measure of popularity I'll give this little gem a run.

Thanks Pal!!
pussycat Mark 11
Captain
Captain
Team: Easts
Been liked: 36 times

Post by pussycat Mark 11 »

TV ratings are based on a literal survey by oztam of around 10,000 households, the Roy Morgan survey is based on more than 61,000 people.

Soooo
you were in lock down with many more of your games in prime time and all the other advantages in 2020 all working to inflate your numbers. The Oztam survey can be up to quiet a few thousand boxes per game. So per week, per season hundreds of thousands.And each box would be for several people also.

Are regional people included in Morgan Football poles?
Australia's number 1 sport RUGBY LEAGUE. Preferred by more Australians than any other :cheers:
baselinepanther
Seniors
Seniors
Team: Canberra Raiders
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 19 times

Post by baselinepanther »

pussycat Mark 11 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 11:55 pm

Soooo
you were in lock down with many more of your games in prime time and all the other advantages in 2020 all working to inflate your numbers. The Oztam survey can be up to quiet a few thousand boxes per game. So per week, per season hundreds of thousands.And each box would be for several people also.

Are regional people included in Morgan Football poles?
didn't they have a game on every night of the week at 7.30pm for about 21 days in a row or something
no overlapping there & 66% of their entire heartland market locked down

nah
put a line through 2020

it doesn't count [-X [-X [-X [-X [-X [-X
Fred
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood
Been liked: 156 times

Post by Fred »

Haven’t we been told by some nrl people that prime time is a harder market to get ratings as competing against other high rating programmes in relation thr the grand finals ... afl played on Saturday afternoon and nrl played on Sunday night prime time ?
Veni, vidi, vici
Quolls2019
Coach
Coach
Team: North Melbourne
Been liked: 119 times

Post by Quolls2019 »

Terry wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 10:13 pm

Soooo

And tv ratings are just one measure. Doesn’t mean most popular no more than who gets bigger crowds, or who gets higher memberships.
Ah Freddy lololololololol!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll dead-set be holding ya to this one pal. Next time you or one your fumbling mates uses the AFL's crowds or memberships as a measure of popularity I'll give this little gem a run.

Thanks Pal!!
I don’t agree with Fred’s wording.
I think attendance, membership, sponsorship, ratings and broadcast rights fees are all relative measures of popularity.
So no need to show me his post when I mention any of the above, I’ve already read it.
But thanks anyway.
There are lies, damn lies and then there are ratings.
Rugby league, Australias most popular game in some of North Eastern Australia.
Terry
Coach
Coach
Team: Wests Tigers
Been liked: 163 times

Post by Terry »

Quolls2019 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:54 am

Thanks Pal!!
I think attendance, membership, sponsorship, ratings and broadcast rights fees are all relative measures of popularity.
So no need to show me his post when I mention any of the above, I’ve already read it.
But thanks anyway.

Thanks inEquollity, nice attempt to deflect Freddy's little faux pas! Rest assured I will remind you fumblers as you have been proven to have memories like................dare I say it...................goldfish lololololololol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NlolRL
Coach
Coach
Team: Melbourne Demons
Been liked: 136 times

Post by NlolRL »

I tend to agree that the ratings last year were not an adequate comparison. While there were many factors which favoured an increase, like shorter games, more isolated games in prime time, and lockdown, the season was heavily compromised with an uneven draw. Many side just couldn't manage the hub away from home and performed poorly. This would have turned many fans off.

Too many variable factors for a good comparison
These users liked the author NlolRL for the post:
leeroy*NRL* (Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:09 pm)
pussycat Mark 11
Captain
Captain

Fred wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:27 am
Haven’t we been told by some nrl people that prime time is a harder market to get ratings as competing against other high rating programmes in relation thr the grand finals ... afl played on Saturday afternoon and nrl played on Sunday night prime time ?
Yes Fred we have told you that. But are we talking about the Grand Final ?
Australia's number 1 sport RUGBY LEAGUE. Preferred by more Australians than any other :cheers:
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

No but we are talking about ratings and the impact of a show being in prime time?

Wouldn't it being a Grand Final make it more advantageous to having it in prime time?
Veni, vidi, vici
pussycat Mark 11
Captain
Captain

Fred wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:43 pm
No but we are talking about ratings and the impact of a show being in prime time?

Wouldn't it being a Grand Final make it more advantageous to having it in prime time?
Everybody knows when the grand final is on And anyone who wants to wach it will, day time/night time wont matter. A club game is a different thing altogether.
These users liked the author pussycat Mark 11 for the post (total 2):
Lookin back (Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:55 pm) • leeroy*NRL* (Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:10 pm)
pussycat Mark 11
Captain
Captain

Thanks Pal!!
But thanks anyway.
The Amount of people that have watched something or done something is the only deciding factor in what is/or isn't more popular.
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

shows which is more popular on TV - does not mean overall popularity.

Some could argue it is how many make an effort to watch the game - that is - to go to the game.

Some may argue that people going to the game who would otherwise watch on TV impacts TV rating adversely for AFL given culture of going to games.

Maybe AFL is not as good a spectacle on TV??

There are many reasons why TV ratings are not the be all and end all of which is more popular. Rating do tell us which programme people prefer to watch on tV.
Veni, vidi, vici
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

pussycat Mark 11 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:51 pm
Fred wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:43 pm

Everybody knows when the grand final is on And anyone who wants to wach it will, day time/night time wont matter. A club game is a different thing altogether.
No I disagree- both NRL and AFL grand finals will get their core supporters. That's a given - it is the casual viewer they are interested in. If it was a sunny day and the NRL grand final was on I would have no problem going out and missing it - but if I come home and sitting around on a Sunday night I'm likely to watch as I flick around.

You can\t have it both ways - you are likely to rate higher if you are shown in prime time - simple fact - whether it is an AFL game during the week (p against other popular shows in prime time) or a grand final on a Sunday night. You can't have it both ways.
Veni, vidi, vici
Quolls2019
Coach
Coach
Team: North Melbourne
Been liked: 119 times

Post by Quolls2019 »

pussycat Mark 11 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:00 pm

Thanks Pal!!
But thanks anyway.
The Amount of people that have watched something or done something is the only deciding factor in what is/or isn't more popular.
Well isn’t “watched something or done something” two things and therefore not the only deciding factor.

And aren’t, watching (on tv) going, joining, sponsoring and paying for broadcast rights all doing things, so your 2 only deciding factors are not the only deciding factors.
There are lies, damn lies and then there are ratings.
Rugby league, Australias most popular game in some of North Eastern Australia.
pussycat Mark 11
Captain
Captain

Quolls2019 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:24 pm
pussycat Mark 11 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:00 pm

But thanks anyway.
Well isn’t “watched something or done something” two things and therefore not the only deciding factor.

And aren’t, watching (on tv) going, joining, sponsoring and paying for broadcast rights all doing things, so your 2 only deciding factors are not the only deciding factors.
if more people shop at coles than Woolworths which is more popular?

If more people drink coke rather than Pepsi which more popular ?

If Toyota sells more cars than Mazda which one is more popular?