Australian Rules in North Queensland

Australian Football news and discussion.
Fred
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood
Been liked: 156 times

Australian Rules in North Queensland

Post by Fred »

Wow... just bought a place in port Douglas ... amazing place ... we are right in town so right in the mix of things and noticing the dominance of afl and Aussie rules up here. Will be off to the local game tomorrow to see how they go and probably end up sponsoring the club in one form or another (no business up this way but may expand if spending time up here now) but what I notice is afl in the pubs and advertised outside ... however the nrl isn’t ? Will head down Sunday and get more of a picture but so far a very Aussie Rules town. Cairns also a big Aussie rules... Mrs dragging me along to spend way too much on what I can only think is crap for the place but to her a must have ...... although a beer snd dinner at Ellis beach both days has made it worth it.... but Gazaly stadium is quite prominent.
Veni, vidi, vici
pussycat Mark 11
Captain
Captain
Team: Easts
Been liked: 36 times

Re: Australian Rules in North Queensland

Post by pussycat Mark 11 »

'noticing the dominance of afl and Aussie rules up here.' :(/ :(/ :(/ You need a new set of glasses Fred.
These users liked the author pussycat Mark 11 for the post:
Lookin back (Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:01 pm)
Australia's number 1 sport RUGBY LEAGUE. Preferred by more Australians than any other :cheers:
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

You may be right Pussy ... of course I’m just talking local level and agreed, something you are not expecting is likely to stick out more. Got to remember a lot of southerners up here... and has been for a number of generations.
Veni, vidi, vici
leeroy*NRL*
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Been liked: 67 times

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

lol Port Douglas Population is like 4k-5k

Cairns However would be a good following for AFL
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

Okay... so went today and the standard was reasonably good. Port Douglas went down in the ones and twos by the hawks. About 700 hundred there and put plenty over the bar and kiosk. There is a rugby Union ground there next to the afl ground and a soccer ground.

All in all a good day watching the Suns on the big screen in the bar and watching the local game . A short walk back to my place, a beer snd a swim in the pool.... and off tonight to the plantation hotel. Been a good day my friends.
Veni, vidi, vici
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

leeroy*NRL* wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:27 pm

Port Douglas I’m guessing is way more than that I would think but maybe permenamt residents .... lots holidayiing
Veni, vidi, vici
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

Fred wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:57 pm
leeroy*NRL* wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:27 pm

Port Douglas I’m guessing is way more than that I would think but maybe permenamt residents .... lots holidayiing
i googled it for ya freddy,

2016 census, Port Douglas had a population of 3,504 people. The town's population can often double, however, with the influx of tourists during the peak tourism season from May to September
These users liked the author leeroy*NRL* for the post:
Lookin back (Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:00 pm)
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

Yeah - and when you have the other team bringing their supporters snd players equals a good turn out. The fact there is actually a local league is amazing on the little outpost of far north qld.
Veni, vidi, vici
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

Fred wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:20 pm
Yeah - and when you have the other team bringing their supporters snd players equals a good turn out. The fact there is actually a local league is amazing on the little outpost of far north qld.
the local league would be combined with Cairns i am pretty sure.
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

Yeah. At the plantation hotel and both gsmes on the big screen and all the roars are going up for the afl game. In saying that there aren’t too many “roar” moments in comparison for the nrl games... although admittedly they are generally good when they do happen.
Veni, vidi, vici
Quolls2019
Coach
Coach
Team: North Melbourne
Been liked: 119 times

Post by Quolls2019 »

Welcome to the Port Douglas Crocs AFL Club
Port Douglas Football Club was established in 1989 and is the only team outside of the Cairns region. In fact, Port Douglas is the most northern AFL club on the east coast of Australia. Port Douglas is nationally and internationally known as a popular tourist holiday destination and sits on the doorstep of the Great Barrier Reef and Daintree National Park Rainforest. The town offers a unique tropical lifestyle and when combined with playing Aussie Rules, well, we believe we are the luckiest team in the country playing amongst a backdrop that is paradise.

Port Douglas boasts a wonderful home ground next to the marina with modern facilities and all in the foreground of the spectacular mountain backdrop which surrounds our stunning coastline. We field very competitive teams from Under 6’s in our junior club right through to senior level. We are proud to have by far the strongest & active supporter base in the seven-team AFL Cairns competition and this town is very passionate about their football club.
There are lies, damn lies and then there are ratings.
Rugby league, Australias most popular game in some of North Eastern Australia.
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

It is quite the beautiful ground no doubt. Second the the ground at Boolarra in South Gippsland.
Veni, vidi, vici
Terry
Coach
Coach
Team: Wests Tigers
Been liked: 163 times

Post by Terry »

Fred wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:40 pm
Yeah. At the plantation hotel and both gsmes on the big screen and all the roars are going up for the afl game. In saying that there aren’t too many “roar” moments in comparison for the nrl games... although admittedly they are generally good when they do happen.
That's great Freddy. But gee pal there seems to be a pattern here. Everywhere you go............every place in Australia...........all over our great land............all you see is the Australian Fumbling League taking over!!!!!

On the training paddocks.................in the schools.........in the streets..............in the pubs..........on the beaches lololololloloololol!!!!!!!! I don't wanna burst ya bubble pal but I have this little niggling doubt ................this suspicion............this nagging query.........that maybe..........just maybe.............you could be wearing a big ginormous pair of rose coloured glasses.

No offence Freddo.....................just a feeling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
These users liked the author Terry for the post:
Lookin back (Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:00 pm)
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

You may be right there Terry. I think the presence of Aussie Rules in north qld is pretty well known though ... likely due to how many people from Aussie Rules states live here and I think the pubs etc also cater to a large tourist market of Victorians, Soutb Australians, and Taswegiams.
Veni, vidi, vici
Terry
Coach
Coach
Team: Wests Tigers
Been liked: 163 times

Post by Terry »

Fred wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:02 am
You may be right there Terry. I think the presence of Aussie Rules in north qld is pretty well known though ... likely due to how many people from Aussie Rules states live here and I think the pubs etc also cater to a large tourist market of Victorians, Soutb Australians, and Taswegiams.
I'm very confident I'm correct Freddo 'ol pal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!