GWS / SUNS >> How much more dollars

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
pussycat
Coach
Coach
Team: The Shanghai Sharks
Been liked: 32 times

Re: GWS / SUNS >> How much more dollars

Post by pussycat »

The Suns must of been one of those 14 AFL clubs that made a profit :roll: after being given 27m they managed a 200k profit. Or was that there previous year Im think of? not a lot changes there.

Can anyone explain to me(and keep a straight face while doing so) how teams can be dished out millions of extra dollars and then brag about making a 200k profit?
Rugby League, the dominant force in Australian sport! :cheers:

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get, At times I've looked at them and had a giggle." Peter V'Landys
Terry
Coach
Coach
Team: Wests Tigers
Been liked: 163 times

Post by Terry »

pussycat wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:00 pm
The Suns must of been one of those 14 AFL clubs that made a profit :roll: after being given 27m they managed a 200k profit. Or was that there previous year Im think of? not a lot changes there.

Can anyone explain to me(and keep a straight face while doing so) how teams can be dished out millions of extra dollars and then brag about making a 200k profit?
It's a paper profit only. As is pointed out in their annual reports the Suns and GWS are wholly reliant on the AFL for day to day survival.

I would actually like to see what constitutes GWS' $17M in sponsorship. Whatever way you look at it that's an impressive number. GWS are one of the lowest profile clubs in the AFL or NRL. Their annual report shows the lie of their BS membership and crowd numbers so its hard to see what advertisers see in 'em.

Does the AFL source sponsors for 'em?? Do they tip sponsors their way whilst getting some benefits from the AFL as well??? On face value it would be the most worthless sponsorship spend in either code.
NlolRL
Coach
Coach
Team: Melbourne Demons
Been liked: 136 times

Post by NlolRL »

pussycat wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:00 pm

The AFL make a lot of money on behalf of the clubs. This includes TV rights, merchandise and AFL memberships. This is passed onto the clubs as a distribution which is part of their budgeted revenue

Glad to clear that up for you
pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

Did you manage to keep a straight face while you were reciting that BS LOL's?

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get, At times I've looked at them and had a giggle." Peter V'Landys
Fred
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood
Been liked: 156 times

Post by Fred »

All clubs get a share of AFL revenue - that's how it works. The AFL decide this on a number of factors - some clubs get nearly as much as the Suns I think. If the AFL didn't think the Sun's were worth it - they wouldn't fund it - obviously they think it is. That's up to them I guess. Long-term thinking. And the Suns are looking better this year and future looks good - and they have built a rusted on support base through all of the down years - which will bode them well - watch the bandwagon jumpers get on board soon.
Veni, vidi, vici
NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

pussycat wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:47 pm
Did you manage to keep a straight face while you were reciting that BS LOL's?
What part is incorrect and why?
pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

I did'nt say it was incorrect. Stop putting words in my mouth. If people feel the need to do nonsensicle things like that then good luck to them. Stupid, laughable, pretentious are the words i would describe it as.

Fred
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood
Been liked: 156 times

Post by Fred »

why ?
Veni, vidi, vici
NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

pussycat wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:29 pm
I did'nt say it was incorrect. Stop putting words in my mouth. If people feel the need to do nonsensicle things like that then good luck to them. Stupid, laughable, pretentious are the words i would describe it as.
so it's true but pretentious? :hmm:

Ouch :drunk:
leeroy*NRL*
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Been liked: 67 times

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

GWS ‘mismanaged their salary cap’ and are now ‘crumbling

Can GWS afford to have a bad year after 2020 COVID Hit Year...
Terry
Coach
Coach

Post by Terry »

GWS business model under microscope as AFL moves in
Sam McClure

The AFL has sent its chief financial strategist to conduct a review of the running of Greater Western Sydney following a funding dispute between the league and the club.

The Giants — who are yet to win this season — have been stripped of close to $3 million in distribution money due to the AFL’s funding cuts from COVID-19.

Former total player payments boss Ray Gunston has spent this week in Sydney reviewing the club’s business model. Gunston is a former CEO of Essendon and CFO of the Tatts Group.

His quiet journey to GWS had several club CEOs raise their eyebrows when the issue was brought up on a recent phone hookup between club bosses.

According to sources familiar with conversations between the league and club, the main point of contention seems to be centred on the cost of living in Sydney and how the club continues to pay overs to its staff and players to stay.

Stephen Coniglio — the midfielder who was dropped in his first year as captain — is in the early stages of a seven-year deal worth more than $1 million a season. Josh Kelly — who has been in a form slump spanning more than a season — is in the final year of a contract with an option to extend it by a further eight years at $1 million a season.

“One of the things we’ve raised is that there are market differences that are so significant that they’ve almost become more pronounced for the football staff they’ve had to fit into the soft cap,” Giants chief executive David Matthews said.

The AFL has told the Herald that the review of the club’s business model was agreed at the end of last year.

The AFL distributed a total of $231 million to clubs last year, a decrease of more than $83 million. GWS received nearly $16 million, the third highest of any club behind Gold Coast and St Kilda.

Looks like the Ginats are in trouble. Fresh from recording a $7.7M loss for 2020 fumblehouse has 'quietly' sent in it's chief financial strategist to sort the failing rabble out.

It seems they've had to pay overs to players and staff because no one wants to be associated with the plastic so called club.

They're now squealing like stuck pigs about the cost of living in Sydney. Which is fair enough if you live in the east or north or inner west which most of their players and staff do.

I have some very simple advice for 'em: Make everyone associated with the joint live in the area they supposedly represent. Yep, Greater Western Sydney!! It has many brilliant new suburbs and communities at affordable prices. Problem solved. Send all the bums out to where there supposed to be!!!!
leeroy*NRL*
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Been liked: 67 times

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

Yep Interesting times for the club,
2021 could beat 2020 figures

the Cost of Living Allowance.. is a joke of a reason.

Better get more Ambassadors in Sydney
Terry
Coach
Coach

Post by Terry »

THIS IS NOT WORKING!!!!! More calls for the Suns to pull up the white flag & move to Tassie!!!!!

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/ ... 6444b96af0
These users liked the author Terry for the post:
Lookin back (Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:59 pm)
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

Terry wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:17 pm
THIS IS NOT WORKING!!!!! More calls for the Suns to pull up the white flag & move to Tassie!!!!!

The AFL will never give up on investing in the future of the Giants and Suns no matter how much you may wish that to be the case. Both clubs are long term investments for the future growth and development of the game in strategic markets.
Terry
Coach
Coach

Post by Terry »

Beaussie wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:33 pm
Terry wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:17 pm

The AFL will never give up on investing in the future of the Giants and Suns no matter how much you may wish that to be the case. Both clubs are long term investments for the future growth and development of the game in strategic markets.
What's this got to do with me beatup??? It's fumbling greats calling on the Suns to be moved to Tassie. Please stay on point pal!!!