The self anointed national sport

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
baselinepanther
Seniors
Seniors
Team: Canberra Raiders
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 19 times

Re: The self anointed national sport

Post by baselinepanther »

NlolRL wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:40 pm
pussycat Mark 11 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:45 am
NlolRL wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:43 am
Last night's ratings:
SEVEN’S AFL: FRIDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL Channel 7 545,000 29,000 325,000 51,000 83,000 58,000
FRIDAY NIGHT NRL LIVE Channel 9 380,000 219,000 12,000 137,000 6,000 6,000

29k watched the AFL in Sydney on FTA. 24k watched the NRL in Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth combined

AFL is FAR more national than the NRL Dave.

End of
The funny part LOL, is you people actually think that phrase means something . Rugby League controls much of the East Coast which where everything happens. An our outlook internationally is looking very bright (ie. people who live on the other side of the water. And I'm not talking about the Murray River). Even so we are still the most popular sport in the country. With millions of viewers, sell out audiences for Perth and similar Melbourne & Adelaide.
No, RL doesnt "control" the east coast. It may be more popular in NSW and QLD but seriously bombs out in Victoria. AFL is far far more popular in NSW and QLD than NRL in Vic going by TV ratings. Crowds even suggest the difference is even bigger.

The NRL may sellout the odd exhibition game in AFL states but the AFL gets regular sellouts and large crowds in all states bar Tasmania. The AFL also rate higher in QLD and NSW during the regular season than NRL in AFL states
yet still not popular enough to be put on TV on the main channel in NSW the ACT & QLD ahead of

Peter Rabbit :(/ :(/ :rofl: :rofl: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :(/ :(/
NlolRL
Coach
Coach
Team: Melbourne Demons
Been liked: 136 times

Post by NlolRL »

No winter sport is truly popular in every state. The only one close is the AFL Dave
Fred
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood
Been liked: 156 times

Post by Fred »

baselinepanther wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:54 pm
NlolRL wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:25 pm
baselinepanther wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:58 am

29K ex pats from fumbler states

Peter Rabbit is a wise bunny :cool:
Arent those watching nrl in Melbourne Adelaide and Perth expansion from eastern states Dave?
meaning neither code has made any real inroads into the others traditional strongholds ... you can't be a national sport if you're only popular in half of that country

so says Peter Rabbit :cool:

Except ... Aussie rules is way bigger in nsw and Qld looking at the lower leagues for both adult and junior .... lots of leagues and lots of team ... more Aussie rulrs teams on Sydney and surrounds than there is on the whole of Victoria ... I’d eve. Hazard a guess and say more Aussie rules leagues in nsw than there are Rl leagues in Victoria, south Australia, Western Australia and Tasmania combined ... don’t think tassie even has a current league
Veni, vidi, vici
baselinepanther
Seniors
Seniors

Fred wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:17 pm
NlolRL wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:25 pm

Arent those watching nrl in Melbourne Adelaide and Perth expansion from eastern states Dave?
meaning neither code has made any real inroads into the others traditional strongholds ... you can't be a national sport if you're only popular in half of that country

Except ... Aussie rules is way bigger in nsw and Qld looking at the lower leagues for both adult and junior .... lots of leagues and lots of team ... more Aussie rulrs teams on Sydney and surrounds than there is on the whole of Victoria ... I’d eve. Hazard a guess and say more Aussie rules leagues in nsw than there are Rl leagues in Victoria, south Australia, Western Australia and Tasmania combined ... don’t think tassie even has a current league
wow
with all these people fumbling bumbling & missing all over australia you'd think its our national sport eh

Peter Rabbit says no :cool:
pussycat Mark 11
Captain
Captain
Team: Easts
Been liked: 36 times

Post by pussycat Mark 11 »

baselinepanther wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:56 pm
NlolRL wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:40 pm
pussycat Mark 11 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:45 am

The funny part LOL, is you people actually think that phrase means something . Rugby League controls much of the East Coast which where everything happens. An our outlook internationally is looking very bright (ie. people who live on the other side of the water. And I'm not talking about the Murray River). Even so we are still the most popular sport in the country. With millions of viewers, sell out audiences for Perth and similar Melbourne & Adelaide.
No, RL doesnt "control" the east coast. It may be more popular in NSW and QLD but seriously bombs out in Victoria. AFL is far far more popular in NSW and QLD than NRL in Vic going by TV ratings. Crowds even suggest the difference is even bigger.

The NRL may sellout the odd exhibition game in AFL states but the AFL gets regular sellouts and large crowds in all states bar Tasmania. The AFL also rate higher in QLD and NSW during the regular season than NRL in AFL states
yet still not popular enough to be put on TV on the main channel in NSW the ACT & QLD ahead of

Peter Rabbit :(/ :(/ :rofl: :rofl: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :(/ :(/
LOL you may refer to Australia biggest sporting events as 'exibition matches' but this only shows just how out of touch with reality you really are. The storm are probably the highest rating club on PTV in either code. So we have no way of knowing what numbers they actually get. However when any big game is played there FTA numbers dwarf anything your mob gets in Sydney or Brisbane.

PS. wer'nt the Storm recently voted Melbourne's most popular team on social media. And wasnt the Perth crowd a record? And the Melbourne crowd - bigger than any AFL game except for the GF?

Pss. Learn to read 'much off'
Australia's number 1 sport RUGBY LEAGUE. Preferred by more Australians than any other :cheers:
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

baselinepanther wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:56 pm

wow
with all these people fumbling bumbling & missing all over australia you'd think its our national sport eh

AFL is only one competition ... Australian rules is played all over the country in very large numbers. So that makes it national surely. I would say soccer is a nation wide game too as played in hugh numbers across the state. Australian Rules is unique to Australia so that makes it “ours”. So it is our (Australia’s) national sport. We can’t call soccer ours although it is far far more national that Rl and ru which hardly exists in Victoria outside the nrl team places there. Also.. players at the AFL level come from all over the country in large numbers. You could feild a side of nsw players playing in the afl. Same for qld.
Veni, vidi, vici
baselinepanther
Seniors
Seniors

Fred wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:47 pm

wow

AFL is only one competition ... Australian rules is played all over the country in very large numbers. So that makes it national surely. I would say soccer is a nation wide game too as played in hugh numbers across the state. Australian Rules is unique to Australia so that makes it “ours”. So it is our (Australia’s) national sport. We can’t call soccer ours although it is far far more national that Rl and ru which hardly exists in Victoria outside the nrl team places there. Also.. players at the AFL level come from all over the country in large numbers. You could feild a side of nsw players playing in the afl. Same for qld.
very large numbers ?
you're a deluded idiot... is soccer 3rd or 4th for participants anywhere in England .. Brazil , Spain or Argentina

Is Gridiron the 3rd or 4th most played game in Texas or Florida

is Rugby 4th behind 3 other sports on the sth island of NZ ?

no , participation means nothing.
Soccer creams everything north of the murray for playing numbers , yet no one watches it & no one is claiming it to be our national sport. Its easy to play , thats why its played in large numbers.

Ill explain it again for our slow witted friend here

to be a nations national sport , you most be THE most popular sport in every corner of it
none of our football codes fall into that category .. not one.

Only Cricket is popular & followed right across the country , it is our national sport.

Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

I would respectfully disagree. Australian Rules is played all across the country. At elite level it has teams in every state except Tassie (where it is the number 1 sport). Australian Rules .. I have posted the amount of teams and leagues in qld... it’s massive so not insignificant. It’s a major sport in qld weather you like it or not... same cannot be said of Rl in Victoria as an example. It is clearly national ... no two ways about that. Just because it doesn’t rate as highly on qld and nsw is only one metric, although a fair point I concede. I agree, AFL needs to be shown on main channel in qld and nsw along with support shows ... when that happens it will finally have won those markets. But I still contend Australian Rules is national and it is high profile... and it’s our own game. They are all facts.

I’ll guess we will agree to disagree. Just my opinion. We all have them ....
Veni, vidi, vici
Terry
Coach
Coach
Team: Wests Tigers
Been liked: 163 times

Post by Terry »

baselinepanther wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:27 pm
Fred wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:47 pm

wow

very large numbers ?
you're a deluded idiot... is soccer 3rd or 4th for participants anywhere in England .. Brazil , Spain or Argentina

Is Gridiron the 3rd or 4th most played game in Texas or Florida

is Rugby 4th behind 3 other sports on the sth island of NZ ?

no , participation means nothing.
Soccer creams everything north of the murray for playing numbers , yet no one watches it & no one is claiming it to be our national sport. Its easy to play , thats why its played in large numbers.

Ill explain it again for our slow witted friend here

to be a nations national sport , you most be THE most popular sport in every corner of it
none of our football codes fall into that category .. not one.

Only Cricket is popular & followed right across the country , it is our national sport.

Yep, true!!!! No football code is truly national. Anyone who claims it is a fool!!!!! Our one true national sport is cricket. End of story.
NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

But the AFL is the closest we have to p popular national sport of our winter codes
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

No Australian Rules is clearly national. It is played right across the nation - hence National. Not only that - it's elite body is the biggest sporting organisation in the Nation. Now I could say "anyone who disagree is a fool" but I'm better than that. Okay to disagree - but facts are facts. The indigenous game played across the whole country with players from elite level coming from across the whole country.
Veni, vidi, vici
baselinepanther
Seniors
Seniors

Fred wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:32 pm
I would respectfully disagree. Australian Rules is played all across the country. At elite level it has teams in every state except Tassie (where it is the number 1 sport). Australian Rules .. I have posted the amount of teams and leagues in qld... it’s massive so not insignificant. It’s a major sport in qld weather you like it or not... same cannot be said of Rl in Victoria as an example. It is clearly national ... no two ways about that. Just because it doesn’t rate as highly on qld and nsw is only one metric, although a fair point I concede. I agree, AFL needs to be shown on main channel in qld and nsw along with support shows ... when that happens it will finally have won those markets. But I still contend Australian Rules is national and it is high profile... and it’s our own game. They are all facts.

I’ll guess we will agree to disagree. Just my opinion. We all have them ....
youve had teams in NSW for 39 years & QLD for 34
yet still no one gives a rats ass about it on TV .... you can have all the skinny little white boys who can't play anything else playing it . it means nothing. Because Peter Rabbit is still preferable to it on TV in half the country. :(/ :(/ :rofl: :rofl: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

Why is tv the only metric that seems to matter. Australian Rules is very popular in new and qld... not the most popular I agree but it’s not exactly a minow. It has very large participation numbers, they have lots of team and lots of leagues... there is clearly a large presence... and it is growing.
Veni, vidi, vici
baselinepanther
Seniors
Seniors

Fred wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:35 pm
Why is tv the only metric that seems to matter. Australian Rules is very popular in new and qld... not the most popular I agree but it’s not exactly a minow. It has very large participation numbers, they have lots of team and lots of leagues... there is clearly a large presence... and it is growing.
you call 70K people watching a game out of 14 million ... very popular ?? :hmm:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :rofl: :rofl: :(/ :(/ :(/ :(/

its as popular as barf in your pool
a turd on yr toilet floor up here.

Very large participation numbers compared to what ? League.. nope .. touchfootball.. nope.. oztag .. nope
Cricket.. nope.. soccer .. nope
union ... its still behind this all but dead sport.
you keep bleating but provide no numbers & its really all just in your deluded mind. It is not played by large numbers & even if it is
again....
soccer is the example of playing numbers meaning absolutely ...... nothing
huge numbers of players , but in reality as popular as a hemorrhoid when it comes to how people want to be entertained by a sport.

derpball falls into the same category

These users liked the author baselinepanther for the post:
Lookin back (Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:02 pm)
NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

Still more national than RL