Sponsors Love the AFL

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Sponsors Love the AFL

Post by Beaussie »

Look out NRL, this is precisely why you are losing the battle in Western Sydney. Even so call Rugby League fans will not commit to the NRL preferring the AFL. Like the Gold Coast, once the people are given a choice, they overwhelmingly go with the AFL.
Sponsor a Giant: League fan just couldn't refuse AFL's overtures
Brad Walter
August 16, 2011 .

HARRY EDWARDS is a lifelong league fan and a Penrith season ticket holder, but when new AFL team Greater Western Sydney approached him about a corporate sponsorship deal, he couldn't say no.

''They just made a compelling case to become involved,'' said Edwards, who is managing director of accounting firm Bell Partners Norwest.

''They are very big on networking and business opportunities. In the three months since, I have been very impressed by their professionalism and some of the events they have run. So far, I've had the chance to speak in a one-on-one situation with [GWS coach] Kevin Sheedy, and last week I attended a function with [assistant coach] Mark Williams. That would impress a lot of people. What those two guys don't know about AFL isn't worth knowing.''

Despite his decision to become a foundation Captains Club sponsor with GWS, Edwards said league would always be his first love. But he wanted to ensure officials knew what they were up against in the battle for western Sydney.

''I have heard them speak a number of times about how they are in this for the long haul and their target is the next generation, not this one'' he said.

''Kevin Sheedy said that the [Essendon] Bombers have now got 40,000 or 50,000 members but when he started there they had 9000 and never thought they would get to 20,000. They are looking 15 to 20 years ahead.

''What they have had to say has impressed me and made me think that league could get left behind. I don't come from a family that followed league, I got into it in the playground at school, and I think it is when you are nine or 10 that most people decide who to follow.''

Edwards said he had become a Penrith season ticket holder this year because he wanted to encourage his children to grow up as Panthers fans. But he encountered problems.

''I reckon Phil Gould's got a bit of a battle on his hands out there,'' he said. ''It was a bit of a battle to get the tickets. I had to rock up to the stadium one day before the first game because I hadn't received the tickets I'd paid for months earlier.''

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/leag ... z1VBVwqs2l
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Post by King-Eliagh »

:lol:

This is stoopid =P~

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?
Grim Reaper
Coach
Coach
Team:
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by Grim Reaper »

And watch out when those AFL gunships approach Penrith Stadium...there will be nothing left :twisted:
Raiderdave
Coach
Coach
Team: Canberra

Re: Sponsors Love the AFL

Post by Raiderdave »

Beaussie wrote:
Look out NRL, this is precisely why you are losing the battle in Western Sydney. Even so call Rugby League fans will not commit to the NRL preferring the AFL. Like the Gold Coast, once the people are given a choice, they overwhelmingly go with the AFL.
Brad Walter
August 16, 2011 .

HARRY EDWARDS is a lifelong league fan and a Penrith season ticket holder, but when new AFL team Greater Western Sydney approached him about a corporate sponsorship deal, he couldn't say no.

''They just made a compelling case to become involved,'' said Edwards, who is managing director of accounting firm Bell Partners Norwest.

''They are very big on networking and business opportunities. In the three months since, I have been very impressed by their professionalism and some of the events they have run. So far, I've had the chance to speak in a one-on-one situation with [GWS coach] Kevin Sheedy, and last week I attended a function with [assistant coach] Mark Williams. That would impress a lot of people. What those two guys don't know about AFL isn't worth knowing.''

Despite his decision to become a foundation Captains Club sponsor with GWS, Edwards said league would always be his first love. But he wanted to ensure officials knew what they were up against in the battle for western Sydney.

''I have heard them speak a number of times about how they are in this for the long haul and their target is the next generation, not this one'' he said.

''Kevin Sheedy said that the [Essendon] Bombers have now got 40,000 or 50,000 members but when he started there they had 9000 and never thought they would get to 20,000. They are looking 15 to 20 years ahead.

''What they have had to say has impressed me and made me think that league could get left behind. I don't come from a family that followed league, I got into it in the playground at school, and I think it is when you are nine or 10 that most people decide who to follow.''

Edwards said he had become a Penrith season ticket holder this year because he wanted to encourage his children to grow up as Panthers fans. But he encountered problems.

''I reckon Phil Gould's got a bit of a battle on his hands out there,'' he said. ''It was a bit of a battle to get the tickets. I had to rock up to the stadium one day before the first game because I hadn't received the tickets I'd paid for months earlier.''

so the guy who owns a butcher shop at Mt Druitt sponsors GWS giving their players free beef n tomato sausages for a year & this is a coup

whatever :roll:
Truthsayer

Post by Truthsayer »

King-Eliagh wrote:

This is stoopid =P~
It most certainly is not, Mr Eliagh. It is prudent evidence as to why the AFL obtained the amount they did for television rights and the NRL will not obtain a similar amount. Business people understand what sport is making more money.
Raiderdave
Coach
Coach

Post by Raiderdave »

Truthsayer wrote:
King-Eliagh wrote:

This is stoopid =P~
It most certainly is not, Mr Eliagh. It is prudent evidence as to why the AFL obtained the amount they did for television rights and the NRL will not obtain a similar amount. Business people understand what sport is making more money.
yes quite
they secure said butcher .. 3 IGA's .. a local dry cleaner .. & a foxy's fast photos outlet & this is why they got 1.25 Billion dollars for a TV deal

wot was it I said about you

oh thats right

S.hit from clay much :wink:
Truthsayer

Post by Truthsayer »

You are clearly unable to read between the lines of my statement and it's core meaning. Please be quiet.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

Raiderdave wrote:
Beaussie wrote:
Brad Walter
August 16, 2011 .

so the guy who owns a butcher shop at Mt Druitt sponsors GWS giving their players free beef n tomato sausages for a year & this is a coup

You're pathetic. :roll:

Time for you to face the reality that even Rugby League supporters are jumping ship in western Sydney and putting their money into the AFL. At the end of the day, it's the only way they'll get national recognition through nationwide telecasts of the AFL. Certainly ain't going to get that by sponsoring an NRL team when just a few games a week are broadcast in NSW and QLD.

Business minded people aren't stupid and can see the benefits of being associated with the AFL/No. 1 sporting code in the Australia. The only code that can provide a captive national audience each and every week in huge numbers. You know it makes sense.
Raiderdave
Coach
Coach

Post by Raiderdave »

Beaussie wrote:
Raiderdave wrote:
Beaussie wrote:

You're pathetic. :roll:

Time for you to face the reality that even Rugby League supporters are jumping ship in western Sydney and putting their money into the AFL. At the end of the day, it's the only way they'll get national recognition through nationwide telecasts of the AFL. Certainly ain't going to get that by sponsoring an NRL team when just a few games a week are broadcast in NSW and QLD.

Business minded people aren't stupid and can see the benefits of being associated with the AFL/No. 1 sporting code in the Australia. The only code that can provide a captive national audience each and every week in huge numbers. You know it makes sense.
a captive NATIONAL audience

I have a crystal ball in front of me
its august 2012.. its a cold wet windy sat night & port adelaide are in town
GWS officials are hopeful a crowd of at least 5K will attend the game at the Sydney Showground ... & the AFL are hopeful at least 15K will watch the game on telle in the harbour city .. seeing as they are not confident the figure in Brisbane will even reach 5 figures the coverage has been replaced with brady bunch reunion & meanwhile the numbers hoped for in Melbourne may still be a record for that city will less then 100K expected to be watching , the Adelaide numbers will be average at best with Port still struggling to stay ahead of the Suns & GWS ... it has been decided as per Brisbane to not even show the game in Perth .. which is AFL heartland

crowd 4,889
Port Beat GWS ... 21 17 143
to 4 8 32

a national audience .. yes
but equal in number to what the ABC might expect with their weekday ratings for playschool ... meaning sponsors have been duped & their relationship with this joke of a sporting franchise .. will be quite brief :wink:
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

Crystal balls now. Gees, thought I had heard it all already. Lame #-o