WOMENS AFL & NRL

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
leeroy*NRL*
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Been liked: 67 times

Re: WOMENS AFL & NRL

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

KAYO numbers would be quite low, maybe an extra 5-10k Max per game.

what are the restrictions in place for Melbourne at current ...
25% of Crowd ?
Terry
Coach
Coach
Team: Wests Tigers
Been liked: 163 times

Post by Terry »

Anyone seen any of the AFLW mess this year??? It's invisible in the educated northern states and the ratings are rubbish even in the captured southern states.

I haven't watched any but yesterdays scores were horrendous. 6 out of 7 games were one sided flogging's. Only 1 losing side scored more than 2 goals & the Suns didn't kick any!!!!!! And Freemantle won but kicked 2 goals and 11 behinds.............wowzers!!!!!!

The hype has definitely disappeared. How is the standard of play???? They really seem to be struggling after a rails run in the media the first few years.
Fred
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood
Been liked: 156 times

Post by Fred »

The Suns were really really bad. The ball movement by Brisbane was pretty good...skill and game awareness from them was vastly improved.

Re: invisible...plenty of press in the papers .. a page or maybe 2 lift out on the lions on the weekend for starters. Plenty on the suns also on gc. Nothing great but more than nothing I guess.
Veni, vidi, vici
Terry
Coach
Coach

Post by Terry »

Fred wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:58 pm
The Suns were really really bad. The ball movement by Brisbane was pretty good...skill and game awareness from them was vastly improved.

Re: invisible...plenty of press in the papers .. a page or maybe 2 lift out on the lions on the weekend for starters. Plenty on the suns also on gc. Nothing great but more than nothing I guess.
Just checked the Courrier Mail and Gold Coast Bulletin. They had fair coverages. The Sydney Tele had a tiny GWS blurb tucked away next to the classifed ads. I couldn't find anything pre or post game in the Herald. That's as close to invisible you can get.
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

Well maybe in Sydney but as you point out... not in Brisbane or mr Gold Coast as you confirmed. Also on the news as well. But afl i suspect is far more engrained here I guess than in sydney.
Veni, vidi, vici
Terry
Coach
Coach

Post by Terry »

Fred wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:50 pm
Well maybe in Sydney but as you point out... not in Brisbane or mr Gold Coast as you confirmed. Also on the news as well. But afl i suspect is far more engrained here I guess than in sydney.
Maybe Freddo. But when I said a fair coverage in Brissy and GC that's what I meant. Fair......ish!! Not big. And certainly not a 2 page spread that you stated.

The main point is that Sydney is the biggest & most influential city in the land. And the AFLW coverage has really tanked here this year. Not good signs. Add that to the Ginats & Swans slipping down the mens ladder means the fumbling game is struggling in the jewel of the nation!!!
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

Well i was reading the paper having my smashed Avo and coffee with the Mrs and I am pretty sure there was a spread in the paper about the Lions and their prep for 2020 - had a photo of two of the players on the bus looking back - add to that a few other articles here and there and it is hardly invisible here on the GC any. Is it getting the press that maybe the NRL is getting in the off season - No! but would't expect it to. But would it get far more press than say WNRL in Melbourne - definitely -I'm guessing Melbourne do not have a side even which says a lot of the two comps.

But agree- it needs penetration in Sydney at the "elite" level - but the grassroots - and that is the area I think is most important - is going well and growing. Compare that to RL in Melbourne and suburbs as a comparison. I think women was one of the highest growth areas for participation for Aussie Rules up here - how was it last year in Sydney?
Veni, vidi, vici
Terry
Coach
Coach

Post by Terry »

Fred wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:25 am
Well i was reading the paper having my smashed Avo and coffee with the Mrs and I am pretty sure there was a spread in the paper about the Lions and their prep for 2020 - had a photo of two of the players on the bus looking back - add to that a few other articles here and there and it is hardly invisible here on the GC any. Is it getting the press that maybe the NRL is getting in the off season - No! but would't expect it to. But would it get far more press than say WNRL in Melbourne - definitely -I'm guessing Melbourne do not have a side even which says a lot of the two comps.

But agree- it needs penetration in Sydney at the "elite" level - but the grassroots - and that is the area I think is most important - is going well and growing. Compare that to RL in Melbourne and suburbs as a comparison. I think women was one of the highest growth areas for participation for Aussie Rules up here - how was it last year in Sydney?
Freddy, every intelligent person knows the AFL's grassroots claims Vs reality are somewhat removed. In any case grassroots numbers have been proven to not to be an indicator of overall popularity. If it was soccer would be the overwhelming number 1 sport in the country. It ain't!!!!! It's not even close.
These users liked the author Terry for the post:
leeroy*NRL* (Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:05 am)
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

i think the women's game is getting slightly better in terms of skill..

but in regards to publicity and tv figures, it has dropped i think in all states..
this is with non stop expansion in women's. comp
Terry
Coach
Coach

Post by Terry »

The ladies SOO has been the highest rating ladies sport on Australian TV the last few years. Easily eclipsing the poor hapless lasses of the fumbling game.

It's on once again tomorrow night. Will it maintain it's top place?? Will it get close to 1M viewers? Will the skills and athleticism once again put the struggling AFL girls to shame???? I"m thinking Yes, Yes and Yes.

Tune in tomorrow night for the festivities!!!!
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

Terry wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:39 pm
The ladies SOO has been the highest rating ladies sport on Australian TV the last few years. Easily eclipsing the poor hapless lasses of the fumbling game.

It's on once again tomorrow night. Will it maintain it's top place?? Will it get close to 1M viewers? Will the skills and athleticism once again put the struggling AFL girls to shame???? I"m thinking Yes, Yes and Yes.

620k in total of women's
Origin last night

metro and region plus fox
Does Not including streaming on 9now and FOX Streaming.
Terry
Coach
Coach

Post by Terry »

leeroy*NRL* wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:46 pm
Terry wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:39 pm

620k in total of women's
Origin last night

metro and region plus fox
Does Not including streaming on 9now and FOX Streaming.
Pretty good. With streaming would be over 700k I'd say. It was a solid game in terrible conditions! Well played ladies.
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

Womens NRL Season to be played outside of NRL Season in October..
Date yet to be announced.
Quolls2019
Coach
Coach
Team: North Melbourne
Been liked: 119 times

Post by Quolls2019 »

leeroy*NRL* wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:20 pm
Womens NRL Season to be played outside of NRL Season in October..
Date yet to be announced.
Oh no, they will be up against the soccer.
There are lies, damn lies and then there are ratings.
Rugby league, Australias most popular game in some of North Eastern Australia.
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

Womens AFL Postponed to Jan 6th..

I wonder how long you can play in Summer for..