Toronto Wolfpack

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
leeroy*NRL*
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Been liked: 67 times

Re: Toronto Wolfpack

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

I was Hearing Toronto are not gone, but will rebuild in Canada
to try and strengthen the Canadian League especially with Ottawa.

i see this as a different path to strengthening the North American League long term.
Quolls2019
Coach
Coach
Team: North Melbourne
Been liked: 119 times

Post by Quolls2019 »

leeroy*NRL* wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:00 pm
I was Hearing Toronto are not gone, but will rebuild in Canada
to try and strengthen the Canadian League especially with Ottawa.

i see this as a different path to strengthening the North American League long term.
Total rugby league
Toronto Wolfpack revival begins as officials line up return this year
MATTHEW SHAW 14/01/2021

Toronto Wolfpack officials are lining up a shock return this year with an exhibition match at Lamport Stadium in the works.

The event, headed by coach Brian McDermott, is being organised for later this year and would feature players from the Wolfpack’s history against a ‘relevant’ opponent.

The Wolfpack were kicked out of Super League late last year following a vote of the Super League executive and its club, a vote that seemingly consigned them to history.

But McDermott insists there remain a desire and enthusiasm to make the Wolfpack and Rugby League in North America succeed and it’s hoped that the event will help keep the club active until a more significant resurrection can take place.

“For many people, the game has moved on and they’ve cracked on, but for some, it hasn’t,” McDermott said.

“There are a few reasons for doing this, to keep the relevance of Toronto Wolfpack and awareness of Rugby League in Canada high and to get a crowd, to put a game on for the fans who never really got a chance to say goodbye to Toronto Wolfpack.

“They are nice to-dos, but the main reason is I don’t believe Toronto Wolfpack to be dead. I don’t believe that myself. I do believe the game needs to go beyond and I do believe Toronto Wolfpack will come back. When it does, I don’t want it to be a case of the brand not being used in the public eye for such a long period of time. Keeping the brand relevant is key.

“Doing it in collaboration with Canadian Rugby League is key, providing that level of entertainment Toronto loved and giving them something as they never got a chance through 2020 is key. There are a few different reasons there, but from my own personal belief, because I believe Toronto Wolfpack is dormant, it’s not dead in my eyes.”

A firm date has yet to be agreed but it’s hoped that it will allow former Wolfpack players to return to Lamport and pull on the jersey one more time.

“It’s going to be later in the year for sure. There are a few different things that need to fall into place, the availability of past and present players and then Covid-relate issues. Hopefully by late summer would be a realistic time to set.

“If it’s just giving them one more game to say goodbye, if that works for people, cool, but for me it’s about keeping it relevant as I know it’s coming back. It’s about giving them hope and proving it works. Of all the reasons we got refused, none was a lack of interest.

“This is not some sort of blind, naive hope, this is based on fact and recent events.”

Not wanting to be negative, but based on the vagaries of the above, I think it is indeed “ some sort of blind, naive hope” .

On more positive ground David Argyll has met the players Union and confirmed his earlier assurances to pay players and staff out, and will do so by selling assets. He has no interest in continuing the club.
There are lies, damn lies and then there are ratings.
Rugby league, Australias most popular game in some of North Eastern Australia.
Quolls2019
Coach
Coach

Post by Quolls2019 »

The below more recent news maybe more realistic, maybe.

“ McDermott hoping to stage one more Wolfpack game

Brian McDermott hopes Toronto Wolfpack can play a one-off game in Canada later this year.

The Wolfpack were denied access into this year's Super League competition and most of their players have since moved onto pastures new.

But McDermott is hopeful of repaying the Canadian support with a game between former Toronto players and another 'relevant' side.

“I suppose if you want to call it closure, for them and for me, and for players and staff, whoever, there’s a bit of that,” the coach told the Toronto Star.

“I don’t know who we’ll play but I want the team to be relevant.”
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

What should of been done from the beginning

plans to kick-start the sport at the grassroots level in Canada, in the form of the Canada Co-Operative Championship Rugby League (CCCRL). Organizers hope to eventually establish a 12 -team league with both men’s and women’s teams with fans literally able to buy into the concept.

The idea is to start with a six-team league in 2023, with plans of increasing up to 12 teams — six men’s and six women’s — with representation from B.C., Alberta and Saskatchewan, Ontario and Quebec.

Divisional competition will be followed by championship play.

Domingos-Shipley says the league will also serve as a home for members of the Canadian national teams: the Wolverines (men) and Ravens (women). Players will be paid on a pro-am model.

The Canadian Rugby League Association is on board, although not contributing financially.

Coates says the league will be funded 40 per cent in the form of private equity and 60 per cent by fans. Investors would get an annual return. They have not yet disclosed the minimum investment but say the average fan will be able to afford to get involved.
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

Canada to launch professional rugby league competition in 2022

he Canada Co-Operative Championship Rugby League (CCCRL) will be the world’s first co-operatively owned sports league, and has been given approval by the Canadian Rugby League governing body.

Planned to launch this summer, COVID-19 has forced it back to next year when teams from the provinces of Ontario, Quebec, British Columbia, Saskatchewan and Alberta will take part in a short-form competition, to be hosted at Lamport Stadium, the home of Toronto Wolfpack.

A new body has been formed, the Canada Co-Operative Championship Rugby League (CCCRL), with the intention of establishing the first ever professional Rugby League competition in Canada, while also becoming the world’s first co-operatively owned sports league

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/ca ... n-in-2022/

https://www.totalrl.com/new-canadian-ru ... e-launched
NRL&NFLweLaughATAFL2
Rookie
Rookie
Team: Manly
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 6 times

Post by NRL&NFLweLaughATAFL2 »

I think there is a long way to go for both clubs with covid. But Toronto Wolfpack more than proved there is an appetite for Rugby League in Canada.

The fact Canadians are wanting to grow the sport in their Country shows our sport is light years ahead of anything AFL is doing in North America.

New York Rugby League is still on the agenda too.
Quolls2019
Coach
Coach

Post by Quolls2019 »

If you want to watch last nights #CanadaCup game between Toronto Wolfpack and DC Cavalry Rugby League the full game is available here youtu.be/_sDI7UHjZX0
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

Quolls2019 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:19 pm
If you want to watch last nights #CanadaCup game between Toronto Wolfpack and DC Cavalry Rugby League the full game is available here youtu.be/_sDI7UHjZX0
that looked like all Canadian players
skill speed structure was all well below standards.
it is a start..

Will take a while to build that Toronto fanbase again.