Fight Club - Football TV Ratings

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
User avatar
leeroy*NRL*
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5504
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:54 pm
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Location:
Has liked: 139 times
Been liked: 32 times

Re: Fight Club - Football TV Ratings

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

Fred wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:23 pm Do you think that rating are impacted by the large crowds or the lack thereof?

If you are getting say 500000 going to games each week then there is likely to be several people who have set top boxes in that crowd figure. Let’s say a game at the G pulls in 80000 .. now in metro Melbourne there would be some in that crowd who may have a set top box. Therefore if those people are at home watching the game then obviously the figure would go up ... particuarly say if a family household usually attends. If each person equates to 3 or 4 thousand people then that could be substantial. With the lockdown randomisation accounting for unique occuranxss would be ineffective as everyone in the same boat (e.g., in normal circumstances someone doing something unique (watching a game on tv when they usually do not) would theoretically be balanced out by someone not watching a game when they usually did).

Anyway... just a thought.
pretty much what would happen Freddy,

add in LOCK DOWN and connect the two together.


Fred
Coach
Coach
Posts: 8274
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:13 am
Team: Collingwood
Location: Gold Coast
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 101 times

Re: Fight Club - Football TV Ratings

Post by Fred »

Well yes... possible. I course the converse is when there is no lock down that ratings are negatively impacted due to large crowds the afl gets.


Veni, vidi, vici
Fred
Coach
Coach
Posts: 8274
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:13 am
Team: Collingwood
Location: Gold Coast
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 101 times

Re: Fight Club - Football TV Ratings

Post by Fred »

pussycat wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:54 pm
Fred wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:23 pm Do you think that rating are impacted by the large crowds or the lack thereof?

If you are getting say 500000 going to games each week then there is likely to be several people who have set top boxes in that crowd figure. Let’s say a game at the G pulls in 80000 .. now in metro Melbourne there would be some in that crowd who may have a set top box. Therefore if those people are at home watching the game then obviously the figure would go up ... particuarly say if a family household usually attends. If each person equates to 3 or 4 thousand people then that could be substantial. With the lockdown randomisation accounting for unique occuranxss would be ineffective as everyone in the same boat (e.g., in normal circumstances someone doing something unique (watching a game on tv when they usually do not) would theoretically be balanced out by someone not watching a game when they usually did).

Anyway... just a thought.

You have 61/2 million people with little else to do but watch TV. The football just happens to be on in prime time most nights. You work it out, I don't want to be accused of making up but, buts.

Well the arguement from the nrl folk of past has been that during prime time people have a better quality of choice ... so they would not necessarily tune into ... say an nrl grand final ....let alone a mundane run of the mill home and away game of afl. But of course... that arguement doesn’t suit so the narrative changes .


Veni, vidi, vici
pussycat
Coach
Coach
Posts: 6632
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:50 pm
Team: The Shanghai Sharks
Location: far away
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 32 times

Re: Fight Club - Football TV Ratings

Post by pussycat »

Fred wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:10 pm
pussycat wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:54 pm
Fred wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:23 pm Do you think that rating are impacted by the large crowds or the lack thereof?

If you are getting say 500000 going to games each week then there is likely to be several people who have set top boxes in that crowd figure. Let’s say a game at the G pulls in 80000 .. now in metro Melbourne there would be some in that crowd who may have a set top box. Therefore if those people are at home watching the game then obviously the figure would go up ... particuarly say if a family household usually attends. If each person equates to 3 or 4 thousand people then that could be substantial. With the lockdown randomisation accounting for unique occuranxss would be ineffective as everyone in the same boat (e.g., in normal circumstances someone doing something unique (watching a game on tv when they usually do not) would theoretically be balanced out by someone not watching a game when they usually did).

Anyway... just a thought.

You have 61/2 million people with little else to do but watch TV. The football just happens to be on in prime time most nights. You work it out, I don't want to be accused of making up but, buts.

Well the arguement from the nrl folk of past has been that during prime time people have a better quality of choice ... so they would not necessarily tune into ... say an nrl grand final ....let alone a mundane run of the mill home and away game of afl. But of course... that arguement doesn’t suit so the narrative changes .
Fred, What they actually say and your waffling are a long way apart. the Friday night match for example is not the highlight of the NRL's season, it is just one of the eight matches that will be played that round - slightly more important because its one of three matches on FTA.


Rugby League, the dominant force in Australian sport! :cheers:

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get, At times I've looked at them and had a giggle." Peter V'Landys
pussycat
Coach
Coach
Posts: 6632
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:50 pm
Team: The Shanghai Sharks
Location: far away
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 32 times

Re: Fight Club - Football TV Ratings

Post by pussycat »

More Head to Head

LIVE: NRL: RABBITOHS V BULLDOGS FOX LEAGUE 237,000
LIVE: AFL NORTH MELBOURNE V WEST COAST FOX FOOTY 178,000

I know you people don't like to talk about PTV but at 50k a match better in most years - thats 400k a rd.
So, you can work out what would happen if we both had the same amount of FTA :rock: And thats just our club competition.
These users liked the author pussycat for the post:
leeroy*NRL* (Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:29 pm)


Rugby League, the dominant force in Australian sport! :cheers:

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get, At times I've looked at them and had a giggle." Peter V'Landys
NlolRL
Coach
Coach
Posts: 7544
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:34 am
Team: Melbourne Demons
Location:
Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 136 times

Re: Fight Club - Football TV Ratings

Post by NlolRL »

pussycat wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:52 am
Fred wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:10 pm
pussycat wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:54 pm


You have 61/2 million people with little else to do but watch TV. The football just happens to be on in prime time most nights. You work it out, I don't want to be accused of making up but, buts.

Well the arguement from the nrl folk of past has been that during prime time people have a better quality of choice ... so they would not necessarily tune into ... say an nrl grand final ....let alone a mundane run of the mill home and away game of afl. But of course... that arguement doesn’t suit so the narrative changes .
Fred, What they actually say and your waffling are a long way apart. the Friday night match for example is not the highlight of the NRL's season, it is just one of the eight matches that will be played that round - slightly more important because its one of three matches on FTA.
Friday night is both code's highest rating game of the round almost every week


pussycat
Coach
Coach
Posts: 6632
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:50 pm
Team: The Shanghai Sharks
Location: far away
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 32 times

Re: Fight Club - Football TV Ratings

Post by pussycat »

NlolRL wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:17 am
pussycat wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:52 am
Fred wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:10 pm


Well the arguement from the nrl folk of past has been that during prime time people have a better quality of choice ... so they would not necessarily tune into ... say an nrl grand final ....let alone a mundane run of the mill home and away game of afl. But of course... that arguement doesn’t suit so the narrative changes .
Fred, What they actually say and your waffling are a long way apart. the Friday night match for example is not the highlight of the NRL's season, it is just one of the eight matches that will be played that round - slightly more important because its one of three matches on FTA.
Friday night is both code's highest rating game of the round almost every week
As i said to Fred , We only have 3 FTA. Thursday rates just as well. and Sunday(afternoon) isnt all that far behind.We only have PTV on Saturday but some of our best games are quiet often shown at that time. Games of a wednesday night :rock: :rock: :rock:


Rugby League, the dominant force in Australian sport! :cheers:

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get, At times I've looked at them and had a giggle." Peter V'Landys
NlolRL
Coach
Coach
Posts: 7544
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:34 am
Team: Melbourne Demons
Location:
Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 136 times

Re: Fight Club - Football TV Ratings

Post by NlolRL »

pussycat wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:20 pm
NlolRL wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:17 am
pussycat wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:52 am

Fred, What they actually say and your waffling are a long way apart. the Friday night match for example is not the highlight of the NRL's season, it is just one of the eight matches that will be played that round - slightly more important because its one of three matches on FTA.
Friday night is both code's highest rating game of the round almost every week
As i said to Fred , We only have 3 FTA. Thursday rates just as well. and Sunday(afternoon) isnt all that far behind.We only have PTV on Saturday but some of our best games are quiet often shown at that time. Games of a wednesday night :rock: :rock: :rock:
we've consistenly beaten you on Thursday, Friday and Sunday :wave:


pussycat
Coach
Coach
Posts: 6632
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:50 pm
Team: The Shanghai Sharks
Location: far away
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 32 times

Re: Fight Club - Football TV Ratings

Post by pussycat »

NRL Fox League
Sea Eagles v Titans 141,000
Storm v Wests Tigers 246,000
Roosters v Sharks 203,00


Melbourne v Essendon 187,000
Richmond v Adelaide 184,000
Brisbane v Carlton 176,000

But, But, But .


Rugby League, the dominant force in Australian sport! :cheers:

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get, At times I've looked at them and had a giggle." Peter V'Landys
NlolRL
Coach
Coach
Posts: 7544
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:34 am
Team: Melbourne Demons
Location:
Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 136 times

Re: Fight Club - Football TV Ratings

Post by NlolRL »

pussycat wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:21 pm NRL Fox League
Sea Eagles v Titans 141,000
Storm v Wests Tigers 246,000
Roosters v Sharks 203,00


Melbourne v Essendon 187,000
Richmond v Adelaide 184,000
Brisbane v Carlton 176,000

But, But, But .
av 197 v 183 and your games are shorter which Leeroy agrees helps your averages. :mrgreen:


User avatar
leeroy*NRL*
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5504
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:54 pm
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Location:
Has liked: 139 times
Been liked: 32 times

Re: Fight Club - Football TV Ratings

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

NlolRL wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:19 pm
pussycat wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:21 pm NRL Fox League
Sea Eagles v Titans 141,000
Storm v Wests Tigers 246,000
Roosters v Sharks 203,00


Melbourne v Essendon 187,000
Richmond v Adelaide 184,000
Brisbane v Carlton 176,000

But, But, But .
av 197 v 183 and your games are shorter which Leeroy agrees helps your averages. :mrgreen:
lengths of games now would be about on par now i think.

Gill has stated a return to 20 mins per quarter next year looks a done deal, baring no issues arise.


NlolRL
Coach
Coach
Posts: 7544
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:34 am
Team: Melbourne Demons
Location:
Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 136 times

Re: Fight Club - Football TV Ratings

Post by NlolRL »

leeroy*NRL* wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:59 pm
NlolRL wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:19 pm
pussycat wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:21 pm NRL Fox League
Sea Eagles v Titans 141,000
Storm v Wests Tigers 246,000
Roosters v Sharks 203,00


Melbourne v Essendon 187,000
Richmond v Adelaide 184,000
Brisbane v Carlton 176,000

But, But, But .
av 197 v 183 and your games are shorter which Leeroy agrees helps your averages. :mrgreen:
lengths of games now would be about on par now i think.

Gill has stated a return to 20 mins per quarter next year looks a done deal, baring no issues arise.
Nope, our quarters are shorter but breaks in between quarters are longer. Therefore the telecast is still longer than the NRLs


User avatar
leeroy*NRL*
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5504
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:54 pm
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Location:
Has liked: 139 times
Been liked: 32 times

Re: Fight Club - Football TV Ratings

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

NlolRL wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:26 pm
leeroy*NRL* wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:59 pm
NlolRL wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:19 pm
av 197 v 183 and your games are shorter which Leeroy agrees helps your averages. :mrgreen:
lengths of games now would be about on par now i think.

Gill has stated a return to 20 mins per quarter next year looks a done deal, baring no issues arise.
Nope, our quarters are shorter but breaks in between quarters are longer. Therefore the telecast is still longer than the NRLs
Wookie confirmed it was 25 mins shorter in the telecast.


NlolRL
Coach
Coach
Posts: 7544
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:34 am
Team: Melbourne Demons
Location:
Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 136 times

Re: Fight Club - Football TV Ratings

Post by NlolRL »

leeroy*NRL* wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:34 pm
NlolRL wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:26 pm
leeroy*NRL* wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:59 pm

lengths of games now would be about on par now i think.

Gill has stated a return to 20 mins per quarter next year looks a done deal, baring no issues arise.
Nope, our quarters are shorter but breaks in between quarters are longer. Therefore the telecast is still longer than the NRLs
Wookie confirmed it was 25 mins shorter in the telecast.
which makes it 2hr 35mins. How long is the NRL telecast?


pussycat
Coach
Coach
Posts: 6632
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:50 pm
Team: The Shanghai Sharks
Location: far away
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 32 times

Re: Fight Club - Football TV Ratings

Post by pussycat »

NlolRL wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:19 pm
pussycat wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:21 pm NRL Fox League
Sea Eagles v Titans 141,000
Storm v Wests Tigers 246,000
Roosters v Sharks 203,00


Melbourne v Essendon 187,000
Richmond v Adelaide 184,000
Brisbane v Carlton 176,000

But, But, But .
av 197 v 183 and your games are shorter which Leeroy agrees helps your averages. :mrgreen:
I seem to recall the matches in 9's tournament went for 20m and averaged 140k imagine if they'd gone for 15m :roll:


Rugby League, the dominant force in Australian sport! :cheers:

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get, At times I've looked at them and had a giggle." Peter V'Landys
Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests