Fight Club - Football TV Ratings (AFL vs NRL)

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
pussycat
Coach
Coach
Team: The Shanghai Sharks
Been liked: 32 times

Re: Fight Club - Football TV Ratings

Post by pussycat »

The_Wookie wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:59 pm
pussycat wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:37 pm
Wow , NRL not only killing them on fox, Kayo as well.

In one game. Last week it was reported that an AFL game between Carlton and St Kilda rated 109,000. Simply not enough data for even you to arrive at that conclusion.
Kayo reported at the start of September'19 that AFL fans watch an average of 3.5 hours a week on Kayo, with regular season games reaching up to 100,000 viewers or more, with Richmond v West Coast attracting 130,000 viewers late in the season on the platform.'

In September'19, Kayo reported that NRL fans were watching an average of 3.5 hours each week, with some regular season games reaching nearly 70,000 users.
And the AFL is up by a greater percentage this year....soooooo
And you love to remind me about a much smaller base :thumbleft:
Rugby League, the dominant force in Australian sport! :cheers:

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get, At times I've looked at them and had a giggle." Peter V'Landys
pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

I new the AFL were desperate for a gold medal but this is just to much, even for you Gil - A Cyber Attack!

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get, At times I've looked at them and had a giggle." Peter V'Landys
NlolRL
Coach
Coach
Team: Melbourne Demons
Been liked: 136 times

Post by NlolRL »

pussycat wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:27 pm
I new the AFL were desperate for a gold medal but this is just to much, even for you Gil - A Cyber Attack!
more like the NRL are so embarrassed being smashed every weekend they've hacked mediaweek
Terry
Coach
Coach
Team: Wests Tigers
Been liked: 163 times

Post by Terry »

NlolRL wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:36 pm
more like the NRL are so embarrassed being smashed every weekend they've hacked mediaweek
Gee I don't know about that pal!!!!! Seeing as how Rugby League is the most watched sport on Australian TV year on year I don't think they'd feel the need to hack anything. Maybe try and stick to the facts!
NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

Terry wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:40 am
Gee I don't know about that pal!!!!! Seeing as how Rugby League is the most watched sport on Australian TV year on year I don't think they'd feel the need to hack anything. Maybe try and stick to the facts!
come now Terry. Our ratings are booming while yours are dwindling. We recorded a massive 50% more than you guys last weekend :\:
Terry
Coach
Coach

Post by Terry »

NlolRL wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:07 pm

come now Terry. Our ratings are booming while yours are dwindling. We recorded a massive 50% more than you guys last weekend :\:
That's great pal but my point was RL has been the most watched sport on Aussie TV for so many years they'd hardly be worried. And the current uptick for the fumbling game can be attributed to the infected state of Victardia being locked down. Nothing more nothing less. It's clearly not the game which is at it's fumbling bumbling un-skilled un-coordinated worst.

But guaranteed pal, if by some quirk of nature the fumbling league in some form out-rates RL this year I will just say "well done fumblers". I will not obfuscate, deny or straight out lie like you and your fumbling mates do year on year on year when the great game Rugby League tops the pops.

In any case pal there is a long way to go. I'd be careful goin' off too early. That can be very embarrassing lololololololololol!!!!!!!!!!!
NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

Terry wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:09 pm

That's great pal but my point was RL has been the most watched sport on Aussie TV for so many years they'd hardly be worried. And the current uptick for the fumbling game can be attributed to the infected state of Victardia being locked down. Nothing more nothing less. It's clearly not the game which is at it's fumbling bumbling un-skilled un-coordinated worst.

But guaranteed pal, if by some quirk of nature the fumbling league in some form out-rates RL this year I will just say "well done fumblers". I will not obfuscate, deny or straight out lie like you and your fumbling mates do year on year on year when the great game Rugby League tops the pops.

In any case pal there is a long way to go. I'd be careful goin' off too early. That can be very embarrassing lololololololololol!!!!!!!!!!!
adding up all ratings over a year doesnt necessarily equal most watched. For example, if you added up the year's ratings for a program which aired for 10 minutes a night, and compared this to a program which aired for 3 hours a night, you'd never say the former was most watched if it tallied a bit more. Well, YOU may, but you're an idiot. They are basically not comparable using a yearly ratings measure because their schedule is so different
Terry
Coach
Coach

Post by Terry »

NlolRL wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:50 pm

adding up all ratings over a year doesnt necessarily equal most watched. For example, if you added up the year's ratings for a program which aired for 10 minutes a night, and compared this to a program which aired for 3 hours a night, you'd never say the former was most watched if it tallied a bit more. Well, YOU may, but you're an idiot. They are basically not comparable using a yearly ratings measure because their schedule is so different
Thanks pal. You've just proved my point lolololololooololoool!!!!!!! What a dill!!!! And you have the hide to say I'm am idiot. Aren't you the bloke who is still desperately looking for a village to demonstrate your idiocy????

In any case: by your logic (lololololololololol..) even if your fumbling game contorts a ratings win it won't be!!!! Because you know, "they are basically not comparable" lolololololololol!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for that pal!

Geez these fumblers are easy pickings!!!!! Where's Freddy????? Please assist Frederico!!!! Ya mate needs ya!!! Lololololololololololololololol!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

Terry wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:35 pm

Thanks pal. You've just proved my point lolololololooololoool!!!!!!! What a dill!!!! And you have the hide to say I'm am idiot. Aren't you the bloke who is still desperately looking for a village to demonstrate your idiocy????

In any case: by your logic (lololololololololol..) even if your fumbling game contorts a ratings win it won't be!!!! Because you know, "they are basically not comparable" lolololololololol!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for that pal!

Geez these fumblers are easy pickings!!!!! Where's Freddy????? Please assist Frederico!!!! Ya mate needs ya!!! Lololololololololololololololol!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Knew it would be too much for you. Season tally is meaningless Terry, not single nights.
Terry
Coach
Coach

Post by Terry »

NlolRL wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:27 am
Terry wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:35 pm

Knew it would be too much for you. Season tally is meaningless Terry, not single nights.
Well pal, it's meaingless if you don't want to know which is the most watched sport of the year. Which of course you don't as your fave sport gets smashed year on year on year.

It's probably best you and your fumbling mates stick to this blind head in the sand idiocy though. You seem to get very triggered by RL ratings. Particularly at SOO time and EOY.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

The lopsided mess that is the NRL in 2020 continues to see viewers tuning out. Meanwhile the AFL continues to dominate.

NRL audience plummets by more than 1 million since restart
By Adrian Proszenko and Sam Phillips
July 26, 2020

The NRL has lost more than a million viewers – or a quarter of its television audience – since the competition restarted, despite the positive feedback on its rule changes, to hand the AFL a dominant victory in the ratings battle.

OzTAM ratings obtained by The Sun-Herald indicate a huge drop in league audiences on Nine (the owners of this masthead) and Fox Sports during the past two months. When the season resumed in round three, 4,524,780 people tuned in to watch the eight games. In round 10, that number plummeted to 3,376,000, representing a fall of 1.15 million viewers, or a decrease of 25 per cent.

By way of comparison, the AFL had 5,801,000 tune in for their season restart and have been able to keep the majority of eyeballs on their product. They dropped 697,000 viewers to 5,104,000 last weekend.

The figures come as some surprise given the NRL has been lauded for its law changes, with most pundits crediting the six-again rule for increasing fatigue and adding to the spectacle. The downside, however, has been an increase in one-sided matches as the discrepancy between the strong and weak teams is exposed.

At the same time, the AFL’s decision to revert to 16-minute quarters has led to tighter tussles. The quality of the spectacle, however, has been widely questioned. Hawthorn coach Alastair Clarkson is one of several luminaries lamenting the state of the game, describing it as “dreadful” as contests degenerate due to regular stoppages and predictable ball movement.

A consequence has been a series of tighter contests, with a greater number of viewers tuning in until the end of games as they go down to the wire.

However, ARL Commission chairman Peter V’landys believes the biggest factor behind the drop in league audiences are the performances of the three Queensland teams.

The Broncos are given prime-time free-to-air spots and usually attract a huge following, but Anthony Seibold’s side has won only one match since the resumption. Moreover, they have failed to remain competitive in most matches, as evidenced by the way the Storm trounced them in the second half of Friday night’s 46-8 loss.

“Unfortunately, because the Queensland teams are near the bottom of the ladder, it hasn’t helped the ratings in Queensland, no doubt about that,” V’landys said.

“We didn’t expect to keep all of the audience in the first round because we were the only sport that was playing on that day, of any sport. We just have to keep making the game more entertaining. We’re in the entertainment market. People have a lot of choices.

“We need to make sure we attract that casual audience that aren’t rusted-on fans.”

The biggest audience fall since the restart has been on Nine, mirroring a general decline in free-to-air figures. The NRL’s free-to-air segment share in Sydney and Brisbane is actually up 1 per cent year on year, despite more people consuming content on other platforms. Another reason for the big drop-off could be the absence of the Easter, Anzac and Magic rounds, which normally result in a spike in viewers.

Meanwhile, streaming numbers have increased by 93 per cent between rounds three and seven, but there had been a significant decline in subscriptions while there was no sport being played in Australia and the increase does not make up for the decline in traditional viewers.

Regardless, the spike the NRL enjoyed when the competition resumed on May 28 has been shortlived.

Research conducted by Dr Hunter Fujak, a lecturer at Deakin Business School, shows that bookmaker odds – which he believes are a key indicator of “outcome uncertainty” in matches and retaining viewers – are tracking in different directions for NRL and AFL fixtures.

Dr Fujak has charted the disparity in expected results in the belief fans are more likely to tune out if there is a belief a result will be lopsided. He pointed to the fact that for this weekend, four NRL games had a "line" (the points start a team gets in a head-to-head bet) of greater than 15 points, the most since 2013. The average line is now 11 points for the current round, the highest in seven years, at a time when the AFL’s average line for the year is just 10.6 points in what is a much higher-scoring game.

“The reason we use bookmaker odds is because people have an intuition as to whether the game will be good or not before it starts, based upon their prediction about how close it will be,” Dr Fujak explained. “If it’s meant to be a blowout and it stays close, people stay tuned in. If it’s meant to be close and becomes a blowout, people tune out.

“The interesting story here is that the AFL and NRL have had two completely polar opposite strategies in how they manage the game. The AFL have gone with shorter quarters to try to keep people fresh in case they need to do short turnarounds.

“Because of that, fatigue has reduced, whereas the NRL has increased fatigue. On one hand, people are pleased with the quality of the games they are seeing [in the NRL], while the changes have also exposed the quality gap between the best and worst teams.

“It’s basically the story of two organisations that have done opposite things and the early evidence suggests the AFL ratings have gone up a bit post-lockdown, while NRL [have dipped].”

V’landys said further rule changes would be considered to retain and attract viewers.

“You have got to keep reviewing your product; you can’t be apathetic,” he said.

“There are a lot of people who have come back to the sport who had left. But the difference in those viewing figures is for the casual viewers, we need to make the game more entertaining.

“You will always get your rusted-on, core fans, but it’s attracting that casual fan that provides you with that additional broadcast revenue.”

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-au ... 55fdn.html
pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

The Doc's pretty much hit the Nail on the head. Brisbane and the other Qld teams teams aren't performing and its affecting our ratings. But when they do we will soon see a return to normal.

Terry
Coach
Coach

Post by Terry »

Beaussie wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:01 pm

The lopsided mess that is the NRL in 2020 continues to see viewers tuning out. Meanwhile the AFL continues to dominate.

July 26, 2020

The NRL has lost more than a million viewers – or a quarter of its television audience – since the competition restarted, despite the positive feedback on its rule changes, to hand the AFL a dominant victory in the ratings battle.

OzTAM ratings obtained by The Sun-Herald indicate a huge drop in league audiences on Nine (the owners of this masthead) and Fox Sports during the past two months. When the season resumed in round three, 4,524,780 people tuned in to watch the eight games. In round 10, that number plummeted to 3,376,000, representing a fall of 1.15 million viewers, or a decrease of 25 per cent.

By way of comparison, the AFL had 5,801,000 tune in for their season restart and have been able to keep the majority of eyeballs on their product. They dropped 697,000 viewers to 5,104,000 last weekend.

The figures come as some surprise given the NRL has been lauded for its law changes, with most pundits crediting the six-again rule for increasing fatigue and adding to the spectacle. The downside, however, has been an increase in one-sided matches as the discrepancy between the strong and weak teams is exposed.

At the same time, the AFL’s decision to revert to 16-minute quarters has led to tighter tussles. The quality of the spectacle, however, has been widely questioned. Hawthorn coach Alastair Clarkson is one of several luminaries lamenting the state of the game, describing it as “dreadful” as contests degenerate due to regular stoppages and predictable ball movement.

A consequence has been a series of tighter contests, with a greater number of viewers tuning in until the end of games as they go down to the wire.

However, ARL Commission chairman Peter V’landys believes the biggest factor behind the drop in league audiences are the performances of the three Queensland teams.

The Broncos are given prime-time free-to-air spots and usually attract a huge following, but Anthony Seibold’s side has won only one match since the resumption. Moreover, they have failed to remain competitive in most matches, as evidenced by the way the Storm trounced them in the second half of Friday night’s 46-8 loss.

“Unfortunately, because the Queensland teams are near the bottom of the ladder, it hasn’t helped the ratings in Queensland, no doubt about that,” V’landys said.

“We didn’t expect to keep all of the audience in the first round because we were the only sport that was playing on that day, of any sport. We just have to keep making the game more entertaining. We’re in the entertainment market. People have a lot of choices.

“We need to make sure we attract that casual audience that aren’t rusted-on fans.”

The biggest audience fall since the restart has been on Nine, mirroring a general decline in free-to-air figures. The NRL’s free-to-air segment share in Sydney and Brisbane is actually up 1 per cent year on year, despite more people consuming content on other platforms. Another reason for the big drop-off could be the absence of the Easter, Anzac and Magic rounds, which normally result in a spike in viewers.

Meanwhile, streaming numbers have increased by 93 per cent between rounds three and seven, but there had been a significant decline in subscriptions while there was no sport being played in Australia and the increase does not make up for the decline in traditional viewers.

Regardless, the spike the NRL enjoyed when the competition resumed on May 28 has been shortlived.

Research conducted by Dr Hunter Fujak, a lecturer at Deakin Business School, shows that bookmaker odds – which he believes are a key indicator of “outcome uncertainty” in matches and retaining viewers – are tracking in different directions for NRL and AFL fixtures.

Dr Fujak has charted the disparity in expected results in the belief fans are more likely to tune out if there is a belief a result will be lopsided. He pointed to the fact that for this weekend, four NRL games had a "line" (the points start a team gets in a head-to-head bet) of greater than 15 points, the most since 2013. The average line is now 11 points for the current round, the highest in seven years, at a time when the AFL’s average line for the year is just 10.6 points in what is a much higher-scoring game.

“The reason we use bookmaker odds is because people have an intuition as to whether the game will be good or not before it starts, based upon their prediction about how close it will be,” Dr Fujak explained. “If it’s meant to be a blowout and it stays close, people stay tuned in. If it’s meant to be close and becomes a blowout, people tune out.

“The interesting story here is that the AFL and NRL have had two completely polar opposite strategies in how they manage the game. The AFL have gone with shorter quarters to try to keep people fresh in case they need to do short turnarounds.

“Because of that, fatigue has reduced, whereas the NRL has increased fatigue. On one hand, people are pleased with the quality of the games they are seeing [in the NRL], while the changes have also exposed the quality gap between the best and worst teams.

“It’s basically the story of two organisations that have done opposite things and the early evidence suggests the AFL ratings have gone up a bit post-lockdown, while NRL [have dipped].”

V’landys said further rule changes would be considered to retain and attract viewers.

“There are a lot of people who have come back to the sport who had left. But the difference in those viewing figures is for the casual viewers, we need to make the game more entertaining.

“You will always get your rusted-on, core fans, but it’s attracting that casual fan that provides you with that additional broadcast revenue.”

And now for the facts: For some reason this story compares the NRL's highest rating round to it's lowest rating round to come up with a 25% difference. Today's Telegraph reported 9's metro FTA is actually down 3% whilst Fox is up a whopping 18% for the WHOLE year. On these numbers ratings are actually up.

The article is click bait BS for the uneducated!!!!! But it got beatup in lololololololol!!!!!!!
NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

pussycat wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:37 pm
The Doc's pretty much hit the Nail on the head. Brisbane and the other Qld teams teams aren't performing and its affecting our ratings. But when they do we will soon see a return to normal.
so you rely on 3 of your 16 teams to perform well to maintain your ratings? :rofl:
These users liked the author NlolRL for the post:
Fred (Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:40 pm)
NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

Terry wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:48 pm
Beaussie wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:01 pm

July 26, 2020

And now for the facts: For some reason this story compares the NRL's highest rating round to it's lowest rating round to come up with a 25% difference. Today's Telegraph reported 9's metro FTA is actually down 3% whilst Fox is up a whopping 18% for the WHOLE year. On these numbers ratings are actually up.

The article is click bait BS for the uneducated!!!!! But it got beatup in lololololololol!!!!!!!
How about this Terry:
NRL's 'huge' comeback round was 4,524,780 which was still less than the AFL's most recent round of 5,104,000, and no where near our comeback round of 5,801,000. Compare that to the laughable 3,376,000 for your last round.

But nothing to see here, nothing at all :(/