Fight Club - Football TV Ratings

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
NlolRL
Coach
Coach
Team: Melbourne Demons
Been liked: 118 times

Re: Fight Club - Football TV Ratings

Post by NlolRL »

leeroy*NRL* wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:04 pm
NlolRL wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:30 pm
leeroy*NRL* wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:20 pm what is more interesting..

all of these extra Prime time slots (extra Thursday and Monday nights.
now we are looking at Wednesday Nights.

Was prob included in AFL tv Rights reductions for this year to channel 7 and FOX.

that they had in mind there would be a certain amount.
probably has more to do with the AFL trying to squeeze a season's games into fewer months. That's why they decrease game time, in an effort to reduce player fatigue due to a tighter playing schedule
Yes that too, but they had a Grand Final date in mind, and they reduced the length of the game to factor in this,

I still think tv viewing figures are up for 2 main reasons.

Game has been reduced (which is making the AVG look better) you will see the change next season
and Melbourne has been pretty much in Lock down with impressive viewing figures
So what you're also saying is the NRL have a big advantage in average ratings over the AFL because their game is shorter. Another reason why cumulative ratings over a season are meaningless

Fred
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 81 times

Post by Fred »

Are all games going to be in isolation for the next few weeks? will be interesting. Shitting time slots though with games starting at 5:30 - some earlier on a weekday - am hoping to go to a few Pies games - I imagine this will be hard for people with 9-5 jobs.

Veni, vidi, vici
SportCapital
Coach
Coach
Team: Melbourne Storm-Essendon Bombers-Melbourne Victory
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 76 times

Post by SportCapital »

NlolRL wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:16 am
probably has more to do with the AFL trying to squeeze a season's games into fewer months. That's why they decrease game time, in an effort to reduce player fatigue due to a tighter playing schedule
Yes that too, but they had a Grand Final date in mind, and they reduced the length of the game to factor in this,

Game has been reduced (which is making the AVG look better) you will see the change next season
So what you're also saying is the NRL have a big advantage in average ratings over the AFL because their game is shorter. Another reason why cumulative ratings over a season are meaningless
Let's not jump to conclusions there NlolRL.
We need to drill down on these inflated AFL figures.

Leeroy, exactly how have the AFL average viewership figures inflated by us shortening the game by 17% to 100 minutes?

Would you say they've inflate by a similar amount?

I await you reply....

ThomasCrapper. Flushing toilet inventor.
When I hear the word Crap/Crapper I don't think"steaming pile of shit"but rather something designed with a primary function of handling steaming piles of shit.
A KindOfShitMachine.
Maybe you will too now.
leeroy*NRL*
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Been liked: 18 times

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

SportCapital wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:02 pm

Leeroy, exactly how have the AFL average viewership figures inflated by us shortening the game by 17% to 100 minutes?

I await you reply....
by the game decreasing its game time overall, this creates less blowouts and more tighter games.
and yes 16mins less game time which is around 25mins overall in AFL Standards time on time off.
Figures from year 2020 and 2019 would you think would be higher >>> which you are seeing year on year.
increase by some margin.

add this and Melbourne in lockdown and you get a nice lift.

leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

i would not say Big Advantage>> when looking at Numbers Slightly yes, but from a Broadcasting advertising point of view no

leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

Fred wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:14 am Are all games going to be in isolation for the next few weeks? will be interesting. Shitting time slots though with games starting at 5:30 - some earlier on a weekday - am hoping to go to a few Pies games - I imagine this will be hard for people with 9-5 jobs.
All games over the next 5 weeks are in Isolation.

there is only a total of 3 games played before 6pm..

NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

leeroy*NRL* wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:25 pm

i would not say Big Advantage>> when looking at Numbers Slightly yes, but from a Broadcasting advertising point of view no
Even it's only a minor to moderate advantage to have a shorter telecast, say 5%, that would make a massive difference when adding ratings for over 200 games. Over 100mil ratings thats 5mil
These users liked the author NlolRL for the post:
leeroy*NRL* (Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:47 pm)

pussycat
Coach
Coach
Team: The Shanghai Sharks
Been liked: 29 times

Post by pussycat »

Ratings are an average.

Lockdown!

Rugby League, the dominant force in Australian sport! :cheers:

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get, At times I've looked at them and had a giggle." Peter V'Landys
The_Wookie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Carlton
Been liked: 80 times

Post by The_Wookie »

AFL

The AFL recorded its second highest rating weekend for the season to date in Round 7, with 5.1 million viewers tuning in, taking the league to almost 34 million viewers for the season on Seven and Foxtel at an average of 548,000 viewers per game, up 4% on the same time last season, with a game in hand.

The highest rating game of the round for the AFL on both Seven and Foxfooty was the Thursday night clash between Geelong and Collingwood which totaled in at 1.137m. This is the 7th game this season to pass the million audience mark. 897,000 watched on Seven and 7mate nationally, with 240,000 people watched across the nation on Foxtel.

Media reports today state that AFL audiences on Fox Footy during 2020 are up 19% Year on year with Kayo included. The Cats and Pies was the highest rating AFL match of round 7 averaged 317,000 across Foxtel and Kayo. (Fox Footy rated 240,000, leaving a Kayo audience of about 77,000).

In Perth, the Western Derby had its third highest audience in a decade with 262,000 people switching on, with plenty more in the WA regional zones.

The Seven Network would be pleased with Metro ratings up 13% to an average of 314,000 and national ratings up 10.7% to 414,000 compared to the same time last year. There have been increased audiences in Sydney (+6.5%), Melbourne (+13.4%) and Brisbane (+23.6%) while ratings in Adelaide are well down (-19%) and in Perth as well (-9.9%).

Foxtel ratings are up slightly, up 2.61% to an average of 187,000 per game. Foxtel ratings account for 34% of the AFLs ratings total in 2020.

An increase in the number of prime time Thursday night matches, less timeslot clashes, shorter games, Brisbane performing well and Victorians being locked in are all likely to have played a part in the ratings this season.

NRL

Round 10 was the lowest rating round of the season for the NRL with 3.376 million viewers, taking the season total to 36.703 million at an average of 458,000 viewers per game – down 5.95% on the same time last season.
The highest rating game of the round for the NRL was the Thursday night clash between the Roosteres and Raiders which rated 833,000, and was its highest rating game on Nine with 591,000 viewers.

The highest rating game for the weekend on Foxtel for the NRL was Saturday nights Sea Eagles and Eels match with 282,000 viewers on Foxleague.

For the Nine Network, metro ratings on Nine and GEM are down 6.21% to an average 349,000 for the year, and national free to air television is down 4.89% to an average rating of 575,000. There has been an increase in the secondary zones of Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth with ratings up 7.28% to an average of 29,000, however the primary territories of Sydney (-7.6%) and Brisbane (-10.9%).

Foxtel is holding steady this year, up 0.7% to an average of 243,000 per game. Foxtel ratings account for 52% of the NRL season total in 2020.

Media reports today that when Kayo is included with Fox the 2020 season live coverage has climbed 18% year on year. The Sea Eagles v Eels was the highest rating match of round 10 with an average audience of 396,000 across Foxtel and Kayo. Foxleague rated 282,000 for the match, leaving a Kayo audience of 114,000.

For the NRL, the continued wave of Brisbane Broncos matches combined with poor form is likely to have played a part here.

Rugby Union

Saturdays Waratahs v Brumbies was the top rating Rugby clash with 53,000 viewers. Fridays Reds and Force clash rated 47,000.

A-league and Soccer

The A-league had a somewhat muted return, with 12,000 watching the opening game of the return weekend on Friday. 9,000 watched Saturdays Perth v Central Coast, while also rating 53,000 on the ABC.

Roy Morgan reports that the W-league is experiencing viewing growth at a time other soccer competitions are experiencing a decline as 879,000 Australians say they watched the W-league, up 43% on 12 months ago.

pussycat wrote: Ps I support Collingwood, I've supported the Cats all my life
NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

pussycat wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:15 pm Ratings are an average.

Lockdown!
well you need to argue that with Leeroy. He agrees a shorter telecast helps the averages

pussycat
Coach
Coach
Team: The Shanghai Sharks
Been liked: 29 times

Post by pussycat »

Wow , NRL not only killing them on fox, Kayo as well.

Rugby League, the dominant force in Australian sport! :cheers:

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get, At times I've looked at them and had a giggle." Peter V'Landys
SportCapital
Coach
Coach
Team: Melbourne Storm-Essendon Bombers-Melbourne Victory
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 76 times

Post by SportCapital »

leeroy*NRL* wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:20 pm

I await you reply....
by the game decreasing its game time overall, this creates less blowouts and more tighter games.
and yes 16mins less game time which is around 25mins overall in AFL Standards time on time off.
Figures from year 2020 and 2019 would you think would be higher >>> which you are seeing year on year.
increase by some margin.

Leeroy, you said...
"Game has been reduced (which is making the AVG look better) you will see the change next season".

What "will" change? The average viewership?

ThomasCrapper. Flushing toilet inventor.
When I hear the word Crap/Crapper I don't think"steaming pile of shit"but rather something designed with a primary function of handling steaming piles of shit.
A KindOfShitMachine.
Maybe you will too now.
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

pussycat wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:15 pm Ratings are an average.

Lockdown!
Are they ??? I think they are an estimate ?

Veni, vidi, vici
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

SportCapital wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:04 pm
leeroy*NRL* wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:20 pm

I await you reply....
increase by some margin.

Leeroy, you said...
"Game has been reduced (which is making the AVG look better) you will see the change next season".

What "will" change? The average viewership?
Yes Average will change next year, when AFL reverts back to Normal length Game and Australia (hopefully turns semi Normal)

There is no fluke to why viewing figures are up.

Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

Could it be more games in isolation?

Veni, vidi, vici