Fight Club - Football TV Ratings (AFL vs NRL)

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
pussycat
Coach
Coach
Team: The Shanghai Sharks
Been liked: 32 times

Re: Fight Club - Football TV Ratings

Post by pussycat »

AFL have got a Sixth game on FTA tomorrow, Wow. Gil is really desperate for that Gold medal .
Rugby League, the dominant force in Australian sport! :cheers:

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get, At times I've looked at them and had a giggle." Peter V'Landys
AngloFootballLeague
Captain
Captain
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 6 times

Post by AngloFootballLeague »

Horrible ratings for afl teams in Sydney!
NlolRL
Coach
Coach
Team: Melbourne Demons
Been liked: 136 times

Post by NlolRL »

pussycat wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:52 pm
AFL have got a Sixth game on FTA tomorrow, Wow. Gil is really desperate for that Gold medal .
NRL to lose Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and now Monday :lol:
pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

Dragons v Bulldogs 166,000
Rabbitohs v Knights 262,000
Sea Eagles v Eels 282,000

Wow!

Giants v Lions 148,000
Swans v Suns 205,000
Tigers v North 171,000

:(/ :(/ :(/ :rock:

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get, At times I've looked at them and had a giggle." Peter V'Landys
NlolRL
Coach
Coach
Team: Melbourne Demons
Been liked: 136 times

Post by NlolRL »

Add fta and its another thrashing
Terry
Coach
Coach
Team: Wests Tigers
Been liked: 163 times

Post by Terry »

NlolRL wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:50 pm
Add fta and its another thrashing
Long season pal. The smart thing would be to keep ya powder dry!!
Fred
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood
Been liked: 156 times

Post by Fred »

I have put this forth before without a real answer ....but I’ll ask again ... startisicslly ... can you simply add the two ratings figures(fta anz stv) together.

I have my reason for asking... initially... knowing a little about stats ... and remembering the figures give. Are estimates only ...weather you could simply add two such figures together that simply. I am sure you could but would be thinking there would have to be some other computations needing to occur. Things like allowing for different sample sizes...different methodology maybe.... population parameters of each group... median age of each group ... etc etc etc. whilst controlled for as far as possible within each group ... I’m unclear re: between groups.

Anyway... that was my thinking back them and no real answer and I just accepted that it is done so just go with it. To be honest... I am still not sure if you can even add regional and metro .... but pretty sure this would not have the same challenge as combining fox and fta into one overall figure ... let alone comparing fox ratings to fta ratings for the same game.

Anyway... was thinking today for some reason when watching offsiders and they showed the ratings. I was wondering when they do FTA ratings... when they get their sample data and infer to the population ... what is that population? So when they give melvourne metro ratings ... saying 500000 watch the afl Friday night in Melbourne ... I are they saying of the total population (let’s say Melbourne metro has 5 mil people for instance). If someone could answer that that would be good.

Now if this is in fact what they are doing.... inferring to the population ...then you could not possibly combine to the two figures of ptv and stv. But I want to know if my thinking is right first before I explain why.
Veni, vidi, vici
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

The_Wookie wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:57 am
Fred wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:35 pm
I have put this forth before without a real answer ....but I’ll ask again ... startisicslly ... can you simply add the two ratings figures(fta anz stv) together.

I have my reason for asking... initially... knowing a little about stats ... and remembering the figures give. Are estimates only ...weather you could simply add two such figures together that simply. I am sure you could but would be thinking there would have to be some other computations needing to occur. Things like allowing for different sample sizes...different methodology maybe.... population parameters of each group... median age of each group ... etc etc etc. whilst controlled for as far as possible within each group ... I’m unclear re: between groups.

Anyway... that was my thinking back them and no real answer and I just accepted that it is done so just go with it. To be honest... I am still not sure if you can even add regional and metro .... but pretty sure this would not have the same challenge as combining fox and fta into one overall figure ... let alone comparing fox ratings to fta ratings for the same game.

Anyway... was thinking today for some reason when watching offsiders and they showed the ratings. I was wondering when they do FTA ratings... when they get their sample data and infer to the population ... what is that population? So when they give melvourne metro ratings ... saying 500000 watch the afl Friday night in Melbourne ... I are they saying of the total population (let’s say Melbourne metro has 5 mil people for instance). If someone could answer that that would be good.

Now if this is in fact what they are doing.... inferring to the population ...then you could not possibly combine to the two figures of ptv and stv. But I want to know if my thinking is right first before I explain why.
Oztam says that you can add FTA and STV together, as well as VPM.

Okay - I will have to go with that as they would know.

I am still curious are they estimating to the population? As if they are - then wouldn't combining the figures actually count people twice. So if there is a population of 500 000 in Melbourne as an example. And the rating are say 50 000 for Friday night watching AFL. Now are they estimating out of the 500 000 total people in Melbourne 50 000 were watching the afl - using population data. In that case there is a double over as they are using the population of people who would also be watching Fox. Now out of the 500 000 some would be watching something else, some out doing something (not watching TV etc.). So as an estimate defined from using population parameters (I am assuming they use this) - they would be counting twice. But I am sure there is a statistical computation to account for this I guess.
Veni, vidi, vici
pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

Fox and FTA are counted seperately. According to Oztam all channels have there own unique signal .So Oztam knows what channel is being watched , and the TV stations provide them with programming info.

Terry
Coach
Coach

Post by Terry »

The anomaly I see with the ratings is the FTA difference between Sydney and Melbourne for every single program. Last night Melbourne out-rated Sydney in every one of the top 20 programs. It was the same for multi channels. And it is the same every night.

Melbourne just doesn't out-rate Sydney in NRL V AFL comparisons it is just about every single program. Last night 1.408M Melbourne ppl watched the top 3 programs of the night V 932k for Sydney. That's a difference of 476k - massive!!!!!

Why so??? Sydney has about 400k more people so it's not that. Fox night time ratings are so low they make little difference. Each city apparently has the same number of set top boxes so it's not that. (Although you would think Sydney should have more with a bigger population).

Does this mean many Sydney ppl have TV's but don't turn them on night after night? Does Sydney have a higher person per household average than Melbourne that distorts the numbers?

Maybe Wookster is correct and the FTA ratings are nothing more than a glorified survey. Fox ratings are probably different as I assume they can get exact numbers of viewers off their Fox boxes, apps, kayo etc. Although the number of ppl watching each is still unknown.

Whatever it is the fact remains that FTA ratings show many more Melbourne ppl watch TV every night than Sydney folk.

https://tvtonight.com.au/2020/07/sunday ... -2020.html
These users liked the author Terry for the post:
leeroy*NRL* (Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:13 pm)
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

pussycat wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:07 pm
Fox and FTA are counted seperately. According to Oztam all channels have there own unique signal .So Oztam knows what channel is being watched , and the TV stations provide them with programming info.

I think you missed what I was saying re: statistics and being a inference not actual numbers .
Veni, vidi, vici
Terry
Coach
Coach

Post by Terry »

The_Wookie wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:00 pm
I think the Melbourne FTA area encompasses more regional towns and such than the Sydney one. Melbourne FTA for example includes Geelong and its surrounding area, while Sydney FTA ends before reaching Newcastle and its surrounds in the north, and wagga in the south

Right. So to get a true picture we would need to know what post codes are counted for each city, what the total population for each is & where the boxes are. The fact Melbourne out-rates Sydney, sometimes by very big margins, for virtually every program every night points to some anomaly in the system.

Obviously rating boxes are only in houses with TV's. It would seem a tad strange that a relatively large number of these homes simply do not turn on there TV's in Sydney.
pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

Fred wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:17 pm
pussycat wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:07 pm

I think you missed what I was saying re: statistics and being a inference not actual numbers .
Its very hard to work out just what it is that your saying Fred.

Yes , it is all based on stats. 800boxes (or whatever the number is)represent the viewing habits of Melbourne. Other locations ditto. And the Networks obviously feel this method has a fair degree of accuracy. And the more results it gives the more accurate these numbers become.

Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

Okay... so those 800 boxes will be representative of the total Melbourne population so, this includes those houses with foxtel yes on which people will watch the afl ... with that game also on fta.

So let’s say Melbourne has a population of 80000. Then 10 boxes are estimating the viewing habits of the 80000. Some of those boxes will be off (let’s say 2 box not on) so they estimate 16000 not watching tv. Say another 5 are watching afl... so that 40000 people. Let’s say the other 3 are watching the other channels (24000). So that’s your population. However some of those people will be watching ptv.... so that’s why I wondered if you could simply add these estimates together.
Veni, vidi, vici
leeroy*NRL*
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Been liked: 67 times

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

I am very surprised in this day and age, collecting Tv Ratings has not changed.