Fight Club - Football TV Ratings (AFL vs NRL)

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
Fred
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood
Been liked: 156 times

Re: Fight Club - Football TV Ratings

Post by Fred »

pussycat wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:14 pm
Fred wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:42 pm
Well if I only have fta and can’t watch my team cause the suns and Brisbane are playing I’m wouldn’t watch. I would watch on my afl app... Telstra streaming. There are a lot of afl people up here however many have an afl team other than suns and lions you see. So I certainly think if you had collingwood v Essendon on fta you’d get much higher ratings than say suns v giants if they were in competeting time slots. Me personally, I’d prefer to watch my Pies and also watch the suns... which I do... but if concurrent and has only the one choice would watch the pies.
If everybody could watch whatever match they wanted to watch on FTA then Fox woudn't be paying squillions for TV rights.
Yes - I agree but not sure what the point is. I was answering your question re: why having games shown into QLD of Lions and Suns probably brings ratings down. Also reduces the FTA rights as AFL negotiated this into the contract and took less so it happens.
Veni, vidi, vici
Terry
Coach
Coach
Team: Wests Tigers
Been liked: 163 times

Post by Terry »

Last night's overall TV ratings show the discrepancy of viewing between Sydney and Melbourne that has been evident for many years. The top rating programs were 7 News and 9 News. The numbers for each city were:

Melbourne 7 - 369K Sydney 7 - 243k
Melbourne 9 - 408k Sydney 9 - 285k

Both news programs air between 6pm to 7pm. Melbourne had a combined 249K more people watching than in Sydney. That's a 1/4 million people although Sydney has 350k more people living there. Every program in the top 15 had similar difference between cities.

Apparently each city has the same number of tv rating boxes. Sydney strangely appears to have a huge number of people who have TV's but don't turn 'em on. Fox has low numbers bet 6pm - 7pm so that's not the difference.

Sydney has many more pubs and clubs so more groups of people could be watching there. However the difference is the same every night so I doubt that's the whole answer.

Some people have suggested there is something wrong with the ratings system and how the numbers are collated. I haven't seen any evidence for this so it's hard to tell.

Anyone got any answer's to this?
These users liked the author Terry for the post:
leeroy*NRL* (Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:36 pm)
pussycat
Coach
Coach
Team: The Shanghai Sharks
Been liked: 32 times

Post by pussycat »

It is very strange. Across all the major news networks last night there was more than 1/2 a million Melbourne viewers watching the news than Sydney siders. As you say it always similar.
Rugby League, the dominant force in Australian sport! :cheers:

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get, At times I've looked at them and had a giggle." Peter V'Landys
NlolRL
Coach
Coach
Team: Melbourne Demons
Been liked: 136 times

Post by NlolRL »

The number of boxes isn't as relevant as you think.

Eg. 5mil people in Sydney may be covered by 50 boxes. If 5 boxes are watching ch9 that's 1 in 10. 1/10th of 5 mil is 500k.

If 4.5mil in Melbourne are covered by 100 boxes and 10 boxes watch ch9 thats 1 in 10. 1/10th of 4.5mil is 450k.

The networks are paid millions based on this data. I'm sure they wouldn't do so without knowing the data was fairly calculated
pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

It could be to do with the Victorian Education System.
Inadequate reading skills taught in there earlier years has led to a much heavier reliance on the 'box' and less on the printed media.

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get, At times I've looked at them and had a giggle." Peter V'Landys
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

Terry wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:35 am
Last night's overall TV ratings show the discrepancy of viewing between Sydney and Melbourne that has been evident for many years. The top rating programs were 7 News and 9 News. The numbers for each city were:

Melbourne 7 - 369K Sydney 7 - 243k
Melbourne 9 - 408k Sydney 9 - 285k

Both news programs air between 6pm to 7pm. Melbourne had a combined 249K more people watching than in Sydney. That's a 1/4 million people although Sydney has 350k more people living there. Every program in the top 15 had similar difference between cities.

Apparently each city has the same number of tv rating boxes. Sydney strangely appears to have a huge number of people who have TV's but don't turn 'em on. Fox has low numbers bet 6pm - 7pm so that's not the difference.

Sydney has many more pubs and clubs so more groups of people could be watching there. However the difference is the same every night so I doubt that's the whole answer.

Some people have suggested there is something wrong with the ratings system and how the numbers are collated. I haven't seen any evidence for this so it's hard to tell.

Anyone got any answer's to this?
Off the top of my head and having some ideas re: statistics - as we know these numbers are not "actual" numbers - they are predictions or estimates based on a sample. Something I know can be amazingly accurate however. If there are the same amount of "boxes" could it mean that Sydneysiders have different viewing patterns? That they watch a more varied amount of TV thus reflected in other shows ratings at the same time - what is the spread I guess. Are they watching more pay TV than Melburnians - or SBS or simply not watching at that time for one reason or another (possibly stuck in traffic re: news lol). I am sure many more smarter minds than yours or mine are onto this at the ratings agency and sure it's not an issue.
Veni, vidi, vici
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

pussycat wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:35 pm
Inadequate reading skills taught in there earlier years has led to a much heavier reliance on the 'box' and less on the printed media.
There's always one! 8-[ :roll:
Veni, vidi, vici
NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

pussycat wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:35 pm
A post like this having a go at the education system. Oh the ironing
pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

Storm v Roosters 910,000
Nein 644,000
(Metro 377,000 Regional 267,000)
Fox 266,000

Carton v stkida 892,000
Seven 677,000
(Metro 512,000 Regional 165,000)
Fox 215,000

NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

friday NRL
Eels/Cowboys
9 Metro 298,000
9 Reg 203,000
9 FTA 501,000
Fox 246,000
Total 747,000

Friday Night AFL
7 Metro 664,000
7 Regional 206,000
Fox 251,000
Total 1.121m
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

NlolRL wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:28 pm
The number of boxes isn't as relevant as you think.

Eg. 5mil people in Sydney may be covered by 50 boxes. If 5 boxes are watching ch9 that's 1 in 10. 1/10th of 5 mil is 500k.

If 4.5mil in Melbourne are covered by 100 boxes and 10 boxes watch ch9 thats 1 in 10. 1/10th of 4.5mil is 450k.

The networks are paid millions based on this data. I'm sure they wouldn't do so without knowing the data was fairly calculated
M sure more boxes just means better accuracy.
Veni, vidi, vici
pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

Tigers v Panthers 284,000
Warriors v Broncos 256,000
Titans v Sharks 159,000

(AFL) :rock:

NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

pussycat wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:13 am
Tigers v Panthers 284,000
Warriors v Broncos 256,000
Titans v Sharks 159,000

(AFL) :rock:
between 7 and 10pm the AFL rated 830k, 150k more than the NRL for the entire Saturday :rock: :rock: :rock:
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach
Team: The Scottish Puffins
Been liked: 75 times

Post by AFLcrap1 »

oh dear .
Comparing FTA v STV .
The act of a desperate man .
TLPG 🤣liar extraordinaire
You should thank me for publishing your IP

and I never published any actual IP. That's it.
🤣
I was a mod at the time .
Xman wrote
I also gave them to TLPG believing he was still a mod.I admit I made a mistake.
:^o :^o
NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

AFLcrap1 wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:03 pm
oh dear .
Comparing FTA v STV .
The act of a desperate man .
If he doesn't take context into account why should I?