COVID-19 Affects it will have on Australian footy codes

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
pussycat
Coach
Coach
Team: The Shanghai Sharks
Been liked: 32 times

Re: COVID-19 Affects it will have on Australian footy codes

Post by pussycat »

This cant be right? … SURELY BEAU
Rugby League, the dominant force in Australian sport! :cheers:

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get, At times I've looked at them and had a giggle." Peter V'Landys
leeroy*NRL*
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Been liked: 67 times

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

The AFL is on the brink of securing a two-year extension of its television rights deal with Seven West Media at a reduced price but pay TV operator Foxtel is holding out for an even bigger discount.

Seven, which is controlled by billionaire Kerry Stokes, is aiming to save between $30 million and $40 million on its AFL rights bill this year based on a 22 to 23 per cent reduction in games played this season, sources said.

Foxtel, which contributed about $1.3 billion to the AFL deal in 2015, now believes it overpaid, sources said.

(well there you have it) FOX have said they overpaid on the AFL DEAL... yeah no shit ya did..
figures never added up, when the NRL was producing bigger numbers overall.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/afl/afl-cl ... 54znm.html
Terry
Coach
Coach
Team: Wests Tigers
Been liked: 163 times

Post by Terry »

There is no doubt that the NRL has handled the C-19 event better than anyone else in sport in Australia. And most probably the world. Peter The Great has acted like a dictator but at different times in history a dictator is just what you need. This is one of those times.

I suspect the fact RL has the cash cow of SOO & internationals will hold them in good stead. And ironically it is a godsend they don't have the money sucking expansion clubs to support unlike Uncle Gilty's mob. The AFL is a one trick pony with only the domestic comp to generate money. A big negative at this time.

It seems RL will weather this storm ok. The jury is still out on the AFL.
Fred
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood
Been liked: 156 times

Post by Fred »

The AFL do have income from many other sources though at levels the NRL don't - obviously this is a doubled edge sword when it comes to crowds but once crowds resume they do generate significantly more income - and also own signage and catering I believe - and sponsorship is apparently a higher etc. But totally agree around Vlandys and his handling of the crisis. I think in particular the NRL needed someone to sort them out in a dictatorial manner and he was indeed the right man for the job there. AFL didn't need such an approach I believe and had the luxury of being less risk adverse. Of course, the cards fell well for Vlandys and like I thought the response to this virus was well overblown. Had it gone the other way - and he and I were wrong - then he may have been cruxified or burnt at the stake - but I really think he had no option as to not plan for an early return and hope the virus thing blew over quicker than anticipated would have seen the NRL is very grave danger - as he, himself, stated at the very start. Got to love the balls on this man to be honest. don't think Gil could have done it if the AFL were in such a position.

As an aside, it is interesting to note most, if not all, commentary I have read on this about the NRL getting back first notes something along the lines of "for once the NRL pip the AFL" acknowledging that it is usually the AFL that is way in front. Thoughts? I can guess but.......
Veni, vidi, vici
Terry
Coach
Coach

Post by Terry »

Fred wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:21 pm
The AFL do have income from many other sources though at levels the NRL don't - obviously this is a doubled edge sword when it comes to crowds but once crowds resume they do generate significantly more income - and also own signage and catering I believe - and sponsorship is apparently a higher etc. But totally agree around Vlandys and his handling of the crisis. I think in particular the NRL needed someone to sort them out in a dictatorial manner and he was indeed the right man for the job there. AFL didn't need such an approach I believe and had the luxury of being less risk adverse. Of course, the cards fell well for Vlandys and like I thought the response to this virus was well overblown. Had it gone the other way - and he and I were wrong - then he may have been cruxified or burnt at the stake - but I really think he had no option as to not plan for an early return and hope the virus thing blew over quicker than anticipated would have seen the NRL is very grave danger - as he, himself, stated at the very start. Got to love the balls on this man to be honest. don't think Gil could have done it if the AFL were in such a position.

As an aside, it is interesting to note most, if not all, commentary I have read on this about the NRL getting back first notes something along the lines of "for once the NRL pip the AFL" acknowledging that it is usually the AFL that is way in front. Thoughts? I can guess but.......
Well Frederico..................this is possibly your best post ever!!!!! Well done pal!! Mind you you're coming from a low base lololololololol!!!!!!!!

Most of what you said is correct. The only thing I would dispute is the commentary line. I think you'll find most people taking the 'for once NRL' thing are dead set fumble fans living in the bubble who are incapable of seeing the light. NRL folk know how the game is perceived in Melbourne and the desert states and just get on with it. Perception ain't reality Freddy boy!!!!
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

Terry.... I’ll refer you Einstein lol
Veni, vidi, vici
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

Gill sounds confident and not at all fazed by a delayed return of footy.
Coronavirus: better late than never for patient footy fans
By COURTNEY WALSH, SPORTS REPORTER and JOHN STENSHOLT
JUNE 5, 2020

AFL Chief Executive Gillon McLachlan has been a driving force in pulling the game from the biggest crisis it has faced, while negotiating the demands of different states. Picture: Stuart McEvoy

AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan has a pointed message for critics who say his code has fallen behind the rival NRL, which is two weeks in front when it comes to returning to the field of play.

“How you start is a very small part of the story. It is how you finish­, in what shape on and off the field — that is more important and I am really bullish about how we are set up to get the season away,” he told The Weekend Australian.

The AFL will end three months of COVID-19 lockdown when the two “big guns”, Collingwood and Richmond, clash at the MCG on Thursday evening.

It will be exactly 14 days since the NRL season restarted under its brashly effective chairman Peter V’landys, who has received kudos for his forceful methods in getting rugby league back in action and enabling his code to generate huge TV ratings and fan interest.

His AFL counterpart Richard Goyder, a respected but reserved­ business leader who is also chairman of Qantas and Woodside, has been more circumspect but has worked forcefully behind the scenes with McLachlan to get the AFL back on the park.

Goyder plays a straight bat to the suggestion the AFL has been behind the eight ball. “Not at all,” he said, “I’m full of admiration for all sports that are getting back on the field,” adding there were enormous complexities for a competition with 18 teams across five states.

When asked if he sat down to watch the NRL’s return on television on May 28 with a hint of jealousy, Goyder said: “I watched a couple of old AFL games, actually. They were ripping games. But look, I’ve been pretty busy.”

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/ ... dc24f8d979
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach
Team: The Scottish Puffins
Been liked: 75 times

Post by AFLcrap1 »

I can't see GIl he's been left so far behind in the dust of PVL .
TLPG 🤣liar extraordinaire
You should thank me for publishing your IP

and I never published any actual IP. That's it.
🤣
I was a mod at the time .
Xman wrote
I also gave them to TLPG believing he was still a mod.I admit I made a mistake.
:^o :^o
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach

Post by AFLcrap1 »

Lol
The complexities of 5 states bullshit yet again .
No different to the NRL with
3 states
1 territory & another country
Both had to deal with 5 GOVTS
Yet the same old crap is trotted out .
Lol fumbles always good for a giggle

🤣
Xman wrote
Pippen94
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Pippen94 »

Beaussie wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:58 am
JUNE 5, 2020

AFL Chief Executive Gillon McLachlan has been a driving force in pulling the game from the biggest crisis it has faced, while negotiating the demands of different states. Picture: Stuart McEvoy

AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan has a pointed message for critics who say his code has fallen behind the rival NRL, which is two weeks in front when it comes to returning to the field of play.

“How you start is a very small part of the story. It is how you finish­, in what shape on and off the field — that is more important and I am really bullish about how we are set up to get the season away,” he told The Weekend Australian.

The AFL will end three months of COVID-19 lockdown when the two “big guns”, Collingwood and Richmond, clash at the MCG on Thursday evening.

It will be exactly 14 days since the NRL season restarted under its brashly effective chairman Peter V’landys, who has received kudos for his forceful methods in getting rugby league back in action and enabling his code to generate huge TV ratings and fan interest.

His AFL counterpart Richard Goyder, a respected but reserved­ business leader who is also chairman of Qantas and Woodside, has been more circumspect but has worked forcefully behind the scenes with McLachlan to get the AFL back on the park.

Goyder plays a straight bat to the suggestion the AFL has been behind the eight ball. “Not at all,” he said, “I’m full of admiration for all sports that are getting back on the field,” adding there were enormous complexities for a competition with 18 teams across five states.

When asked if he sat down to watch the NRL’s return on television on May 28 with a hint of jealousy, Goyder said: “I watched a couple of old AFL games, actually. They were ripping games. But look, I’ve been pretty busy.”

Do you really have faith in Gil? new guy for NRL seems to be running rings around him
Terry
Coach
Coach

Post by Terry »

Beaussie wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:58 am
JUNE 5, 2020

Gilty will deploy the AFL propaganda 101 dept as usual. Smoke & mirrors, obfuscation, outright lies!!!!! The bubble will pat each other on the back and nod in unison. The truth will never be told. Yep. Business as usual!!!!

In the meantime Gilty and the good 'ol boyos had better get onto the broadcast deal. This is no time to be chasing junior female staffers around fumblehouse. The game is burning money like it's Guy Fawkes night.

If he needs a hand there is a straight talking no BS guy in Sydney ready to go. He's called Peter The Great. He's not worried about perception or the look or the vibe. He just gets the job done. Gilty should pick up the phone and give the great man a call.
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach

Post by AFLcrap1 »

The spin that the afl media & fans put on anything afl related is hilarious .

🤣
Xman wrote
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

You paranoia has no bounds me thinks ... the afl
Media lol
Veni, vidi, vici
leeroy*NRL*
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Been liked: 67 times

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

Hearing 1.2bill over 4 years in the new constructed Tv Deal for the AFL

$300mill a season (yes only rumours)
may be settled before season kicks off
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

I would think they would sought out this season re: discount for less games but the remaining years to remain the same .... or more if renegotiated. Otherwise I’d be just keeping it is until rights fir next deal come up .
Veni, vidi, vici