Exactly why are we spending $2 billion on new stadiums in Sydney?

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Re: Exactly why are we spending $2 billion on new stadiums in Sydney?

Post by Beaussie »

Terry wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 11:38 am
Beaussie wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 11:13 am
Terry wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 10:56 am

Good on ya pal!!!!!!! I don't anyone else that is actually applauding the consequences of the corona virus. You sure are one of a kind!!!! Maybe you can now pray for a second wave for some perverse reasoning. Personally I'm quite happy the RL is back and C-19 is on the run. But that's just me pal!!!!!!
Oh settle petal. This has nothing to do with corona virus for me. It was a monumental waste of taxpayer dollars to begin with... well before COVID-19 and would have resulted in a denial of access for Australia's 2 national sports in the AFL and Cricket - denying them access to the biggest stadium in Sydney.

Calm the farm pal. This is a good outcome. All sports can continue to use the wonderful Olympic Stadium and the funds saved can now be put towards more worthy job creating projects that actually stack up in a business case sense.

Everyone wins :thumbleft:
Haha beatup!!! If I was any calmer I'd be asleep pal!! Personally at this point in time it's not a big issue. I do however find it rather perverse that folk like you are cheering a decision that you perceive to benefit your fave sport and disadvantage another.
Gees that's rich coming from you. This very thread is filled with posts from leaguies cheering the original refurb decision that would ultimately deny oval sports like the AFL and cricket access to Sydney's biggest stadium. :roll:
Terry wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 11:38 am
In any case it will happen down the track and in the meantime will have no adverse effect on RL & will not assist your fumbling game in any meaningful way. I mean your fave fumblers broke a contract to get away from the joint they hated it so much.
I've no doubt that AFL and Cricket officials will be pleased to still have the option of playing blockbusters and in particular finals at ANZ Stadium.

Again great result for all sports and fans in NSW. :thumbleft:

AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach
Team: The Scottish Puffins
Been liked: 75 times

Post by AFLcrap1 »

Playing blockbusters .
Lol get your hand off it .
They have trouble filling the SCG with these fumblebusters
TLPG 🤣liar extraordinaire
You should thank me for publishing your IP

and I never published any actual IP. That's it.
🤣
I was a mod at the time .
Xman wrote
I also gave them to TLPG believing he was still a mod.I admit I made a mistake.
:^o :^o
leeroy*NRL*
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Been liked: 67 times

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

Be interesting to see what deal is done with government

I suspect premier and NRL have decided on some alternative, being stadium rebuild few years down track.
Or compensation.. for period until upgrade.
Terry
Coach
Coach
Team: Wests Tigers
Been liked: 163 times

Post by Terry »

Good 'ol boy beatup is on fire with his latest effort. No doubt he'll be hoping and praying for C-19 breakouts in Sydney, Brisbane, Newcastle, Canberra etc etc just to make it hard for RL. Whadda guy!!!!!! It's times like these you truly realise the deep seated hatred & jealousy fumble fans have deep inside 'em. Sick stuff!!!!!
Fred
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood
Been liked: 156 times

Post by Fred »

I couldn’t care either way ... in fact it seems logical to make it rectangles as I thought afl didn’t use it? My issue was that the nrl never seem to put in any money to these things. I think they should contribute a little at least. But it’s a crap stadium I hear ...been once and it was packed out but took two trains to get there and nothing much happening outside stadium ... so why not fix it up for rugby and soccer but each code should contribute. But think they also need to fix up the public transport and do something with the outside as seemed nothing but the Hilton when I went.
Veni, vidi, vici
Terry
Coach
Coach

Post by Terry »

leeroy*NRL* wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 12:16 pm

I suspect premier and NRL have decided on some alternative, being stadium rebuild few years down track.
Yep. It'll happen down the track. I mean who could make an issue of diverting funds to a post corona virus infrastructure fund at a time like this? Oh yeah..........fumble fans could!!! Because they hope and pray it will damage RL in some way. It's a sad sad society we live in when there are views like this.

I welcome the spend on a C-19 rebuild. Well done Gladys. The ANZ rebuild will have to wait for a more suitable time. And it will happen!!
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

Terry wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 12:30 pm

Yep. It'll happen down the track. I mean who could make an issue of diverting funds to a post corona virus infrastructure fund at a time like this? Oh yeah..........fumble fans could!!! Because they hope and pray it will damage RL in some way. It's a sad sad society we live in when there are views like this.

I welcome the spend on a C-19 rebuild. Well done Gladys. The ANZ rebuild will have to wait for a more suitable time. And it will happen!!
Pretty much spot on.

Alot infrastructure projects are getting redirected or privatized over others ..
During this time..

May work out better, with a total knock down and rebuild
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

I guess the 2020 NRL grand final can now be played at ANZ Stadium rather than the SCG. Does that mean the NSW Government is entitled to a return of the $15 million compensation payment made to the NRL last year? What exactly would the NRL need to be compensated for now that ANZ Stadium is still available? Hmmm
But he said the decision was based on short-term pain, which reportedly includes a $15 million payment from the NSW government to compensate the NRL for hosting the grand final at smaller capacity stadiums for three years.

Greenberg insisted that the deal covered any shortfall the league would have in hosting their grand final at an SCG venue that holds a capacity of 46,000

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/sydney-to- ... 85e20b6e28
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

leeroy*NRL* wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 1:11 pm

Pretty much spot on.

Alot infrastructure projects are getting redirected or privatized over others ..
During this time..

The stadium rebuilds were always unpopular within the electorate and not considered a priority. With NSW facing a $20 billion deficit in years to come, Gladys may well be turfed out of government come the next election.
Terry
Coach
Coach

Post by Terry »

Beaussie wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 1:22 pm
leeroy*NRL* wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 1:11 pm

Pretty much spot on.

During this time..

The stadium rebuilds were always unpopular within the electorate and not considered a priority. With NSW facing a $20 billion deficit in years to come, Gladys may well be turfed out of government come the next election.
Beatup 'ol pal..............the Labor party ran a whole election platform on not building stadiums. They lost!!! Gladys won. Wrong as usual pal.

You can go on and on and on as much as ya like applauding and cheering for steps taken to combat C-19 because you perceive them as being negative to Rugby League. It's cheap infantile stuff pal. But carry on all ya like. Just let the adults get on with real life issues. Thanks Pal!!
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

NRL's ultimatum: Four new suburban stadiums or grand final will go

The NRL will meet the NSW Government this week armed with the threat of moving the grand final away from Sydney if the state doesn't deliver up to four boutique suburban stadiums over the next decade.

With the state government on Saturday dumping plans for the $800 million redevelopment of ANZ Stadium as it deals with the financial fallout of the COVID-19 crisis, NRL powerbrokers are set to demand funds be redirected towards suburban venues as part of a push to regenerate tribalism in rugby league.

ccording to sources with knowledge of the NRL's stadia strategy, the governing body is delighted with the decision by NSW government to scrap ANZ Stadium refurbishment plans, and will now lobby for up to four 15,000-20,000 seat stadiums worth around $150m-$200m each.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-s- ... 54y3z.html
Terry
Coach
Coach

Post by Terry »

leeroy*NRL* wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 2:50 pm

The NRL will meet the NSW Government this week armed with the threat of moving the grand final away from Sydney if the state doesn't deliver up to four boutique suburban stadiums over the next decade.

With the state government on Saturday dumping plans for the $800 million redevelopment of ANZ Stadium as it deals with the financial fallout of the COVID-19 crisis, NRL powerbrokers are set to demand funds be redirected towards suburban venues as part of a push to regenerate tribalism in rugby league.

ccording to sources with knowledge of the NRL's stadia strategy, the governing body is delighted with the decision by NSW government to scrap ANZ Stadium refurbishment plans, and will now lobby for up to four 15,000-20,000 seat stadiums worth around $150m-$200m each.

This would be a good idea. It's a pity they didn't make Bankwest a 60k stadium to cater for GF's, SOO, Wallabies & Socceroos. It is now in the geographic centre of Sydney and would be perfect.
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

Terry wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 3:33 pm

This would be a good idea. It's a pity they didn't make Bankwest a 60k stadium to cater for GF's, SOO, Wallabies & Socceroos. It is now in the geographic centre of Sydney and would be perfect.
i think would of been hard to catter for such a big stadium at Parramatta
with regards to car parking and train line out front.

but i like the idea of 4 Stadiums around the 20k mark in around sydney..
and down the track a knock down rebuild of ANZ
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

Whilst NRL officials appear to be delighted with the news about ANZ Stadium being scrapped, I would think it is highly unlikely that the funds would now go to new suburban stadiums. Funding is likely to be diverted to bushfire affected areas as it should.

Oh and surely the NRL would have to now pay back the $15 million compensation it received last year from the NSW Government right?
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

Fred wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 12:28 pm
My issue was that the nrl never seem to put in any money to these things. I think they should contribute a little at least.
Yep... 100% in agreement with you there.