COVID-19 Affects it will have on Australian footy codes

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
leeroy*NRL*
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Been liked: 67 times

Re: COVID-19 Affects it will have on Australian footy codes

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

Its hard to figure out which code would be hammered more after all is said and done..

Alot could be determined if crowds return..
Which looks unlikely >> maybe last part of season.

Memberships being refunded ??

Sponsors pulling out or sticking by clubs.

How much tv revenue will both lose.

NRL upwards of $80 mill

AFL > interesting with reduced rounds and match length.
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

Looking Strong for a AFL return date JUNE 18th I hear..
Pending Victorian decision next week.
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach
Team: The Scottish Puffins
Been liked: 75 times

Post by AFLcrap1 »

Lol PVL is making GIl look like a deer in the headlights ,
And some at Ch 9 media seem to be now printing actual stories .
Not propaganda

& as for the afl has a far bigger problem with 5 states .
Bullshit
It's no worse than the NRL with
3 states
1 territory
1 overseas team .

Long before the coronavirus pandemic swung like a wrecking ball through sport, GWS Giants chairman Tony Shepherd warned AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan about another force of nature demolishing everything in its path.

"Don't underestimate Peter V'landys," Shepherd advised. "Rugby league will become a serious competitor with him in charge."

Now, Shepherd is watching V'landys become rugby league's imperial leader during the COVID-19 crisis and sees history repeating.

"Cometh the hour, cometh the man," Shepherd said of the pugnacious ARL Commission chairman.

V'landys thrives on being told he can't do something and then pulling it off. Even better if he can get up Melbourne's nose at the same time.
He's becoming a nasal swab for the AFL, jammed so far up its left nostril it feels like an eyeball is about to pop out as rugby league inches closer to the impossible dream of a May 28 restart.

The AFL chitterati scoffed when V'landys flagged a resumption so soon. Plenty in the NRL thought the same thing, this column included. Even members of Project Apollo argued it would be "better optics" to start in June.

In Melbourne, where newsreaders seemingly mispronounce V'landys' name on purpose, he was slammed for being "premature", "arrogant" and "disrespectful". Club chairmen like Hawthorn's Jeff Kennett lined him up as "totally irresponsible, absolutely irresponsible!"

Now some in the AFL are breaking ranks.

Richmond coach Damien Hardwick applauded the NRL for "aspirational-type leadership", earning a rebuke from Collingwood president Eddie McGuire and Bombers legend Matthew Lloyd.
Others are following.

"So how can we be critical of the NRL for setting a date now in a month's time for wanting to come back and be aspirational?" asked Kane Cornes on Footy Classified.

Regardless of where you stand on the May 28 restart, of this you can be assured: V'landys doesn't care what anyone says.

[​IMG]
Peter V'landys and Gillon McLachlan.CREDIT:DIGITAL IMAGE

Last week, he declared publicly not once but twice that the Australian Border Force had granted the New Zealand Warriors an exemption to enter the country.
Prime Minister Scott Morrison denied this was the case. Not once but twice. "No amount of reporting it will change that decision," Morrison said at his Friday morning media conference.

On Saturday morning, the Warriors were granted the exemption, just as V'landys had promised. On Sunday, they locked down in quarantine in Tamworth. And on Monday, they and the rest of the NRL's 480 players underwent an "education day" about the strict biosecurity protocols they must adhere to if the season is to rebooted.

Meanwhile, in the AFL, it's still in the "bubbles and hubs" stage. Rugby league binned the "bubbles and hubs" idea weeks ago.

The NRL should resist cranking up the victory march quite yet.

For starters, V'landys had an easier task. The AFL is a bigger monster, with teams in every state. Most of them are based in Victoria, where Premier Daniel Andrews has been more cautious than other states in loosening coronavirus restrictions.

It's also been so prudent with its finances over the years, having secured a $600m line of credit against more than $1bn in assets, that it can survive until March next year without playing a minute of footy.

The NRL does not have that luxury. Its mad rush to May 28 is about one thing: money. There wasn't enough put away for a rainy day and when it started pouring in late March it turned out only $120m had been tucked away.

From that moment, V'landys put a flag in the sand and has been bending everything and everyone around it, including prime ministers and premiers.

As he does so, it places increasing pressure on the AFL to get its show started.

Asked if there was some personal satisfaction in getting the jump on the AFL, V'landys told Sports Sunday: "Not all. I haven't even looked at the AFL. Their challenge is greater than us, they've got teams throughout Australia. They have geographical challenges. We just set ourselves our own target date."

Nobody who knows V'landys was buying it.

"Stuff beating the AFL," offered one long-time racing official. "He'd be more worried about beating the rest of the world."
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/pe...- ... 54po2.html
These users liked the author AFLcrap1 for the post:
leeroy*NRL* (Tue May 05, 2020 11:08 am)
TLPG 🤣liar extraordinaire
You should thank me for publishing your IP

and I never published any actual IP. That's it.
🤣
I was a mod at the time .
Xman wrote
I also gave them to TLPG believing he was still a mod.I admit I made a mistake.
:^o :^o
Fred
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood
Been liked: 156 times

Post by Fred »

I think Gil has done a great job. So too peter. Peter didn’t have the luxuary Gil had and was the right man for the job. I think peter would have done the same as Gil if at afl ... I don’t think Gil could have done what peter has at the nrl though ... I don’t think Gil could operate without the lixuaries the afl affords him to be honest.
Veni, vidi, vici
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

AFLcrap1 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 9:44 am

Ah ha, so when a story is pro NRL, it’s not Fairfax/SMH/Channel 9 propaganda? :hmm:

Make up ya mind will ya. :roll:
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach

Post by AFLcrap1 »

Lesson for Bea.
You see the direct quotes from people
Not the usual
Un named source
Etc .
Makes it a bit more credible when someone is actually quoted .

🤣
Xman wrote
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

Broadcasters Seven West Media and Foxtel will lobby for a reduction of at least $125m from the AFL’s television deal, as the fight over control of the first block of games for the return of the 2020 season also intensifies.

The AFL is days away from releasing the playing schedule for the restart, but the impasse with broadcasters could disrupt negotiations regarding the structure of the season and the finals series.

But minds are increasingly turning to the AFL’s fixture list and broadcast rights, with Seven and Foxtel, along with Telstra, expecting a reduction of at least 30 per cent to the $400m rights the trio usually pays annually.
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

I'm sure there will be some reduction. Maybe they get Vlandy's in there lol He is already doing two jobs - what's another :)
Veni, vidi, vici
pussycat
Coach
Coach
Team: The Shanghai Sharks
Been liked: 32 times

Post by pussycat »

Beaussie wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 6:24 pm
AFLcrap1 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 9:44 am

Ah ha, so when a story is pro NRL, it’s not Fairfax/SMH/Channel 9 propaganda? :hmm:

Make up ya mind will ya. :roll:
Even after reading all there crap and other carry on over the last month you still haven't been able to work that out? Absolutely amazing Beau.
Rugby League, the dominant force in Australian sport! :cheers:

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get, At times I've looked at them and had a giggle." Peter V'Landys
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach

Post by AFLcrap1 »

Lol the evidence is right there in front of his eyes

Nope don't see it
Even after the many many negative articles posted here by Fairfax/9
Nope

🤣
Xman wrote
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

so 2 weeks difference to start times..

Gee i tell ya NRL copped a hell of wack compared to AFL

the media storm pass 2 months shows the difference how each code is handled by the media.
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach

Post by AFLcrap1 »

Yes Rl fans know that
Some Afl fans think it's something we make up .

🤣
Xman wrote
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

leeroy*NRL* wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 4:52 pm
so 2 weeks difference to start times..

Gee i tell ya NRL copped a hell of wack compared to AFL

the media storm pass 2 months shows the difference how each code is handled by the media.
Think a couple of issues. Afl, given their better financial situation, were able to sit back and read the state of play. Nrl needed to get up and running a quickly as possible and had to be aggressive in their approach I think. V’landys Swiss’s much when this all broke.

I think you’ll find the NRL copped the flack at the start as they had to make decisions on the run and it wasn’t managed too well... until V’landys stepped in. Since he stepped in there has been no where near the negative backlash ... cause he is good at his job. When you get the nrl releasing plans and ministers and premiere and medical officers coming out stating they haven’t approved this or that or haven’t seen this or that... you’re going to rightly get blow back. As I said... it was a pr mess. So much so V’landys steps in... takes charge... sacks Todd and whammo ... things running smoothly, official releases done when everyone is on the same page .... the guy is a massive asset I now believe. I think if Gil was at the nrl he couldn’t have done what V’landys has done. Fortunately he’s style is not required by the afl but think he would be handy.

Anyway, I think that’s why there has been a difference. I wonder whether the press in Melbourne, south Australia, Western Australia etc has been more intense? But I think the afl has managed it well to date by not having to act aggressively or impulsively as the nrl had to.
Veni, vidi, vici
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach

Post by AFLcrap1 »

Lol what a pile of crap
Pr mess
The pr mess was the one started by 9/Fairfax.
PVL didn't help with his asking for $$$ off the govt ...but as was posted by Terry .
Fumbles have their hand out to the govt ..so why not RL
Then
When you get the nrl releasing statements that are backed by one part of a govt & denied by another ..
Tats not the nrls fault .

The media treats the two sports very differently

Just look at the afl players breaking curfew especially the one drink driving running into cars

Simple fact
The media go after RL ..
AFL gets an easy ride

The revisionist version posted above is hilarious .
Lol
No matter how many times it's claimed that it was an nrl pr mess .
It doesn't mean it's true . Lol it's hilarious watching the same crap reposted over & over
The above version had PVL ( and I do like him) riding in to save the day after a fuck up by the nrl

Lol PVL has been chairman since oct 2019
Any decisions made by the ARLC ( such as restarting) would have been discussed by all including PVL

He didn't just take over as chairman when the comp stopped .

Lol
Fumble fans ..altering facts since a long time ago .

🤣
Xman wrote
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

Well we all have our opinion I guess. That’s how I read. As chairman he is not mean’t to be too hands on... that was Todd’s job. But he had to step in and did so wonderfully.

I think the nrl officially releasing things that premiers, cheif minister, ministers, etc as well as medical officers say they know about or haven’t been consulted is a problem for the NRL. They needed to ensure, as V’landys has since done, that everything is ready to go ... nor half baked. This is why he become more hands on ... where he should be delegating. He definetely stepped in and to deny this is just perplexing. Anyway, that’s my reading and pretty much the media I read and watch take on it. But hey...maybe it’s fake news..... but the fact is he sacked the bloke who was overseeing as he was incompetent with this crisis ... the nrl admin has been shit for years and this simply shone a light on those who were the main ones. Now, saying this is not the case, as you continually do, does not make that so. I will just point out the smoother run in the media since V’landys took over. Managing the media is also part of managing the brand.
Veni, vidi, vici