COVID-19 Affects it will have on Australian footy codes

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
pussycat
Coach
Coach
Team: The Shanghai Sharks
Been liked: 32 times

Re: COVID-19 Affects it will have on Australian footy codes

Post by pussycat »

Fred wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:17 pm
I was just listening to the abc and the guy was saying neither premier has approved it? For me, it’s not a matter of whether it goes ahead or not... it’s the clusterfuck surrounding it.... just seems the nrl admin just have no idea at all... this, however you look at it... has not been managed well... there just seems to be many different opinions and perspectives from people in power ... the lack or coordination and management on this has at the very least been a pr disaster ... who is running the show here in the nrl ... you’d think they would have had all their dicks lined up prior to releasing anything... just makes them look incompetent. Look at the afl . Very little in the media ... no announcements ... but I can bet that behind the scenes things are on over drive and very professional.

Extremely professional :hmm:
NRL - 2019

16.7% grass roots and state funding
Surplus 5.7%

net cash position $120mill

AFL - 2019
7.4% grass roots and state funding
Surplus 3.5%

net cash position $88.9mill
Rugby League, the dominant force in Australian sport! :cheers:

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get, At times I've looked at them and had a giggle." Peter V'Landys
Fred
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood
Been liked: 156 times

Post by Fred »

I think I’ll wait til Wookie comments. I do know the afl puts a lot back into the game as I showed you previously pussy compared to the nrl. Are you seriously trying to compare the afl admin to the nrl admin? Come on even afl crapper acknowledges the nrl admin have been awful.
Veni, vidi, vici
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach
Team: The Scottish Puffins
Been liked: 75 times

Post by AFLcrap1 »

pussycat wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:34 pm
Fred wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:17 pm
I was just listening to the abc and the guy was saying neither premier has approved it? For me, it’s not a matter of whether it goes ahead or not... it’s the clusterfuck surrounding it.... just seems the nrl admin just have no idea at all... this, however you look at it... has not been managed well... there just seems to be many different opinions and perspectives from people in power ... the lack or coordination and management on this has at the very least been a pr disaster ... who is running the show here in the nrl ... you’d think they would have had all their dicks lined up prior to releasing anything... just makes them look incompetent. Look at the afl . Very little in the media ... no announcements ... but I can bet that behind the scenes things are on over drive and very professional.

Extremely professional :hmm:
NRL - 2019

16.7% grass roots and state funding
Surplus 5.7%

net cash position $120mill

AFL - 2019
7.4% grass roots and state funding
Surplus 3.5%

net cash position $88.9mill
Just to clarify .
I have been critical of the ARLC in the past & they were bad before
The ARLC even formed
As for the current situation lol
This is the second time a rabid fumbler has tried to tie my name to his jealous rantings about the possibility of restarting the comp . .
I have not criticised te current admin for what is happening( as much as the fumbler would like to hint at that )because so many conflicting media reports are circulating .
So my position is clear .
I do not agree with any of the rants he has posted .no matter how many times we are told we have to agree with him
PV is doing ok so far .
Will he get a result or will he have a very short career as chairman .time will tell
One good thing .hes not afraid to to speak his mind or have a shot back at the media or pollies who are behind the conflicting reports .
At least RL is up front & open about what is happening .
Not like the AFL who have a long history of dodgy behind door deals .
TLPG 🤣liar extraordinaire
You should thank me for publishing your IP

and I never published any actual IP. That's it.
🤣
I was a mod at the time .
Xman wrote
I also gave them to TLPG believing he was still a mod.I admit I made a mistake.
:^o :^o
pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

According to the experts, the real ones, Not Link and Fred. It could be years before we get a vaccine. So does football and other winter sports become a thing of the past?

44 days until lift off.

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get, At times I've looked at them and had a giggle." Peter V'Landys
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

I don't think so - I think a vaccine is neither here or there - would be good - but shouldn't rest hopes on this. The reality is this is just another disease - the problem at present is or has been it is a new disease hence the concern being no natural immunity and the vulnerable all being hit at once and hitting the hospitals and overwhelming them. So as the years pass, people will get this, like they do the cold or the flu, and be okay - they will carry that immunity into their old age. People will still die from it as they do the flu and other diseases but will be more spread out over a period of time and indeed years. I know there has never been a vaccine for the common cold (a form of coronavirus) and don't think there is one for SARS1 or MERS - also corona viruses. I believe the name of this virus is something like SARS COV 2 or something like that and the effects of it is called COVID19.
Veni, vidi, vici
pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

Fred wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:43 pm
I don't think so - I think a vaccine is neither here or there - would be good - but shouldn't rest hopes on this. The reality is this is just another disease - the problem at present is or has been it is a new disease hence the concern being no natural immunity and the vulnerable all being hit at once and hitting the hospitals and overwhelming them. So as the years pass, people will get this, like they do the cold or the flu, and be okay - they will carry that immunity into their old age. People will still die from it as they do the flu and other diseases but will be more spread out over a period of time and indeed years. I know there has never been a vaccine for the common cold (a form of coronavirus) and don't think there is one for SARS1 or MERS - also corona viruses. I believe the name of this virus is something like SARS COV 2 or something like that and the effects of it is called COVID19.
You don't build up an immunity unless you get the vaccine/ virus/disease. The whole idea of what's going on is for Old people/ frail people not to get the disease. So , my understanding is these people will never become immune until such time as we have a vaccine. Or a Cure.

I think we should begin trials on Link before progressing to human trials.

Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

Looks like Channel 9 and Foxtel want to pay less and broadcast less games. Oh and Channel 9 clearly wants to save that mooted $130 million the 9 boss stated the other day would be saved by not broadcasting anymore rugby league this season.

Not good news for the NRL.

Channel Nine outlines vision for preferred NRL future

Channel Nine has outlined a vision of its preferred future NRL television deal at a crisis meeting with ARLC chairman Peter V'landys, with the free-to-air broadcaster favouring two exclusive games per round as part of an extended rights contract.

After Nine boss Hugh Marks met with V'landys at Racing NSW headquarters on Tuesday, sources close to the negotiations told the Herald Channel Nine, publisher of this masthead, wanted to give up the Thursday night game and concentrate on its traditional Friday night and Sunday afternoon time slots.

It also hopes pay-TV broadcaster Foxtel, who will join Nine and the NRL in negotiations later this week, can be convinced to relinquish its Friday 6pm game as part of a new rights deal that would do away with the current simulcast arrangement.

"Today, Nine CEO Hugh Marks and I had a constructive and co-operative meeting about rugby league in 2020 and beyond," V'landys said in a statement after the meeting.

"I am buoyed by Mr Marks’ support of rugby league and his commitment to the game. The meeting provided us with the opportunity to outline our positions and discuss next steps to navigate this crisis.

"We are both focused on the long-term success of the game and, while there is more work to do, I am optimistic we will find a way through this together. Our next meeting, where we will endeavour to construct a road map for the game this year, must include Foxtel CEO Patrick Delany."

The Herald has been told by sources with knowledge of the meeting that Nine also expressed its preference to wipe the 2020 season, in stark contrast to V'landys' push for a May 28 restart. The end result could fall somewhere in the middle.

Nine doesn't want to walk away from the game. It wants a two-year extension, but under different terms and for less than the $110 million it currently pays the governing body each year.

Due to the coronavirus pandemic, the NRL has been unable to deliver on the product its broadcasters had expected as part of a $1.8 billion rights deal over five years. The NRL has enacted the force majeure clause after being left with no choice but to breach its contract with its broadcast partners.

None of the parties involved wants to see the matter head to court, hence the renegotiation that's about to take place between V'landys, Marks and Delany.

V'landys is a realist. It's unlikely the NRL will deliver all of its promised content this year, and the world in which $1.8 billion rugby league broadcast deals are done may no longer exist.

Foxtel has recently made moves to lower its cost base. Only last week it made 200 staff redundant and stood down another 140 employees until the end of June.

Right now Fox Sports broadcasts all eight games, three of which are simulcast with Nine and five exclusive matches.

Changing the structure to suit Nine would also benefit Fox. The fact it has only six exclusive games is unlikely to impact on the number of subscribers - which underpins its business - but will mean it can reduce the $190 million it currently pays for the rights to all eight games.

Under that scenario, both both Fox and Nine win. They want to pay less. The NRL might not be quite as happy with the result but it gets the security of a deal for at least another two years in a climate that is providing very little certainty.

The NRL had been holding out hope of extracting more than $1.8bn in the 2023-2027 rights deal. It could call Nine's bluff, but it runs the risk of attracting even less, if any, revenue from Channel Seven or Channel 10.

Then there's the problem of starting a competition that is also meeting some resistance from government.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison, a rugby league tragic, applauded the NRL's determination to return to normality but reiterated a need to adhere to the nation's health advice.

"I like the ambition," Morrison said. "I like they are trying to get the show back on the road in some way. It will be subject to health advice and there will be no special arrangements."

NSW Deputy Premier John Barilaro seems to be the most vocal in his support of a May 28 NRL restart, volunteering to act as a “conduit” between the government and the league

"It’s an ambitious date but you have to set a target,” Barilaro told Fox Sports.

"I’m confident they can have a plan in place, and can get the health experts to sign off on it. It's not against the rules. They have every right to try and return. It's an ambitious date but it is one worth trying to get to."

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/channe ... 54jsv.html
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

Veni, vidi, vici
pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

Fred wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:54 pm
A few days ago you were saying it was irresponsible for the NRL to be planning to plat football. What's changed ?

Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

Did I say that? I said the way they have handled this has been cluster fuck. I think this thing is all over blown to be honest. If the nrl do get back on the date set goof on them but again. It has been a PR nightmare and total lack of reading public sentiment. in
Veni, vidi, vici
pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

Fred wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:20 am
Did I say that? I said the way they have handled this has been cluster fuck. I think this thing is all over blown to be honest. If the nrl do get back on the date set goof on them but again. It has been a PR nightmare and total lack of reading public sentiment. in

What it has been is yet another case of RL leading the way. Clearing the path for the minor place getters to follow :thumbleft:

43 more days till Apollo lifts off :thumbleft:

Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

Hmmm - I guess that is one way to put a positve spin on it.
Veni, vidi, vici
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach

Post by AFLcrap1 »

Correct me if m wrong
CH 9 own Fairfax media .
& most of the Vitoral directed at the ARLC is from the SMH/ Fairfax
Seems they have learnt from news ltd
Trash the product you have the rights to, to try to drive the price down .

Lol
Will be hysterical if it backfires on them .

🤣
Xman wrote
Terry
Coach
Coach
Team: Wests Tigers
Been liked: 163 times

Post by Terry »

AFLcrap1 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:29 pm
Correct me if m wrong
CH 9 own Fairfax media .
& most of the Vitoral directed at the ARLC is from the SMH/ Fairfax
Seems they have learnt from news ltd
Trash the product you have the rights to, to try to drive the price down .

Lol
Will be hysterical if it backfires on them .
That's it! Ch 9 publish the SMH and Fox have Fox league and the Daily telegraph. That's why all of a sudden Rothfield and Kent are all of a sudden on the side of the NRL. And each side is putting out alternative facts that are at odds with the other sides story. It's kinda like idiot journalists at 10 paces. Hopefully PVL plays 'em against each other & get's the best deal possible!!!!!
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach

Post by AFLcrap1 »

After many many years of mismanagement it looks like Rl has a shrewd operator in PVL .
We were laughed at for not being proactive .
Not being on the front foot .
Being left behind ..etc .
So what now
PVL is eexcatly the opposite.
He's proactive .
Putting RL first doing what's best for the game not the media who think they own it .
& what do we get off the fumblers on here.
Jealous rants .
Screeching about dogs & shit.
Ranting about clusterfucks etc .

Well,at least PVL is on the front foot .
It might not go to plan but at the moment it seems to be going great .
& he's having a go .

Channel Seven reaches out to NRL about potential broadcast partnership
Michael ChammasApril 15, 2020 — 11.57pm

Channel Seven, the home of AFL, has reached out to the NRL about the potential of acquiring rugby league content in the future as Channel Nine looks to offload one of its three free-to-air matches.

The news comes as Nine boss Hugh Marks prepares to meet with Foxtel CEO Patrick Delany and ARLC chairman Peter V’landys on Thursday to renegotiate the broadcast deal for 2020 and determine when and how the season will resume.

[​IMG]
Seven chief executive James Warburton.James Alcock

The Herald has also been told by sources with knowledge of discussions that Fox Sports will not surrender its simulcast arrangement with Nine, the publisher of this masthead, nor does it intend to scrap the Friday 6pm game, as Nine is hoping.

On the eve of the crucial broadcast meeting, the NRL’s negotiating power has been significantly strengthened with revelations Channel Seven has expressed interest in the rights of the sport.

Seven West Media boss James Warburton, who didn’t return calls on Wednesday, has a close long-time relationship with NRL boss Todd Greenberg and is monitoring the code’s broadcast squabble as Seven positions itself as a potential partner should the NRL need to seek an alternative free-to-air broadcaster.

Uncertainty around the AFL, in combination with the postponement of the Tokyo Olympic Games, the cancellation of Wimbledon and the prospect of India not being able to tour Australia for the summer of cricket, could leave Seven with some funds to make a play at rugby league.

Rugby league icon Phil Gould has discussed plans to relaunch the NRL in late May, plus criticism from an old foe.

NRL matches are included on the Australian anti-siphoning list and there are currently three matches on free-to-air TV. That could mean there will be pressure on the NRL to ensure there is at least the same number of free-to-air matches going forward, which opens the door for Seven, despite its poor financial position.

Channel Seven’s AFL ratings in NSW and Queensland remain unimpressive, although NRL content would provide a much-needed boost to its eastern seaboard markets.

At a crucial meeting between the current broadcast partners and the NRL on Thursday at V’landys’ Racing NSW offices, Nine is expected to outline its desire for exclusive games and a willingness to part ways with the Thursday night game. It also wants exclusive games on Friday and Sunday.

It is expected Fox Sports will not agree to sacrificing the entire collection of weekly matches, basing its subscription service around an ‘‘every game, live and ad-free’’ sell.

Agreeing to hand Nine exclusivity would rob Fox Sports of the best games of the round, with the free-to-air network given first preference on matches.

Nine also want to discuss the removal of the Friday 6pm game, which Fox broadcasts against the free-to-air network’s news.

Channel Nine has experienced a decline in the Friday 8pm game ratings, something Fox Sports is well aware of and unwilling to compromise given the number of viewers who stay with Fox from the first to second Friday night game.

Nine’s preference, largely in a bid to bank the $130 million saving it announced to the stock exchange last week, would be for the NRL to wait until crowds are allowed back before the season resumes – even if it means no rugby league until 2021.

That won’t cut it with the NRL or Fox Sports, who are desperate to return as soon as possible to ensure the financial viability of the respective organisations.

It’s anticipated Nine’s tactic will be to stall. Prolong discussions for as long as possible to ensure there is less content to pay for.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ch...a ... 54k5t.html
These users liked the author AFLcrap1 for the post:
leeroy*NRL* (Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:14 am)

🤣
Xman wrote