Minnowbourne storm named best team in Australasia

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
Terry
Coach
Coach
Team: Wests Tigers
Been liked: 163 times

Re: Minnowbourne storm named best team in Australasia

Post by Terry »

Fred wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:46 am
The problem is that whilst storm are a successful team the expansion of rl into Melbourne has not really happened. I think there has been a change in the later half re focus on grass roots but even then there has been little growth. I think this is the issue for rl in Australia in non traditional areas .... it is largely confined to those areas and with afl expanding into these areas with more people playing, more clubs and more teams then it becomes a shrinking market locally. A saving grace may be the decline in Union however seems afl is filling that upper class void well enough but the similarities in game would obviously see some go over the rl.

But again, you could have a very successful club but unless you are growing the game at grass roots which is a key kpi, really one of the main points of expanding, then is it really a success.

To illustrate a point ... reguarly made by the rl folk here... GWS are reasonably successful but it is derided by rl people for not having any local support .... that people in the area dont know who they are or care. I would agree that if gws was successful for the next 20 years, whilst they may garner a niche market with locals over that time, if they had not grown aussie rules in the area substantially then would they have been truely successful

Your new 'go to' rant seems to be grassroots.......grassroots..........grassroots.......over and over again Freddo old son!!!!!!!! The reality is junior RL hardly existed in Melb/Vic 20, 30, 40 years ago. It now does. It has gone from virtually non-existent to where kids can play at any age right up to 1st grade in local comps.

There are also development teams with pathways to the elite game. Is it huge? No. Is it big? No. Is it much bigger than it used to be? Yep. Is it getting bigger? Yep.

In comparison AFL in NSW is much bigger. And so it should be with the millions of dollars thrown at it over decades. It is more like soccer.......a participation game for kids because it's so easy and simple to play.

Non sporting kids and families are attracted to it. The intensity and skill level of the Rugby codes scares off these low sporting ability kids so they play soccer and AFL. This is borne out by the fact no Sydney kid was added to an AFL team list from the 2019 rookie draft. After massive amounts of money they came up with zero, zilch and nought. That's because they don't get the best athletes.

I suspect you will continue with this rant over and over and over again as is your want Freddy. Please refer back to this post when you do to save me posting further.
leeroy*NRL*
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Been liked: 67 times

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

I think from 1998 to 2012 NRL and the Strom did literally nothing in Melbourne / Victoria..

the last few years things are changing.. quite a fair bit.

#ARLC
#Stromownership
Fred
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood
Been liked: 156 times

Post by Fred »

After all that dribble rl is still pretty non existent in Victoria. There is 1 league in the whole state. If you live on certain parts of the state you can’t play as no club or league. If you do play for one of the few clubs in Melbourne you are playing clubs across the length and breathe of Melbourne ... it used to be down to geelong but not sure if they folded.

Has it grown ... I think it has a little however how this compares to population growth and whether any real growth remains to be seen. Again, I played baseball in Victoria. It is by far much bigger. I played in a league in the country and also played on melbourne ... more players, more leagues, more clubs, and more teams ....is baseball big ... bit really but is it bigger on those measures then rl .... easily. Also summer and winter comps.

I’d be saying the same about gws... if they can’t get the game growing locally they have failed. Same same.
Veni, vidi, vici
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

And points ... rl is minute as a sport in Victoria and they have a team so at least some media coverage. Problem is you just don’t see people playing it casually let alone for one of the few clubs there is . Imagine the scenario in south Australia, and wa and tassie ????

So for facts ... google the amount of clubs there are in Victoria ? You will my point.
Veni, vidi, vici
NRL&NFLweLaughATafl
Coach
Coach
Team: Manly Sea Eagles and Huddersfield Giants
Been liked: 13 times

Post by NRL&NFLweLaughATafl »

Fred wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:44 pm
And points ... rl is minute as a sport in Victoria and they have a team so at least some media coverage. Problem is you just don’t see people playing it casually let alone for one of the few clubs there is . Imagine the scenario in south Australia, and wa and tassie ????

So for facts ... google the amount of clubs there are in Victoria ? You will my point.
Fred the sport has only existed in Melbourne for about 20 years. So obviously it is not going to have hundreds of clubs.

But the fact that Rugby League can twice get a bigger crowd for State of Origin than every AFL game ever played in NSW or QLD really says something.

Also the fact that Billy Slater and Cameron Smith will have immortalized statues in Melbourne's AAMI Park really says there is respect for the sport there.

How about the fact Melbournes St Kilda AFL club are paying Billy Slater in a role for their club.

Funny how Billy Slater got such a warm welcome on the AFL footy show in Melbourne. I thought you said the sport was miniscule and nobody knew about it.

All this evidence make me realise Fred is just jealous and has butt hurt. :wink:

The AFL footy show even went as far as calling him a superstar.

But wait Fred, didn't you say nobody knows about Rugby League in Melbourne???

FRED :^o

RUGBY LEAGUE 28 FIRST GRADE CLUBS IN 5 COUNTRIES
🇦🇺 🇨🇦 🇫🇷 🇳🇿 🇬🇧
AUSSIE RULES 18 FIRST GRADE CLUBS IN 1 COUNTRY
🇭🇲
Rugby League in Canada (Toronto Wolfpack)
http://www.torontowolfpack.com

UK Rugby League
http://www.rugby-league.com
leagueiscrap
Banned
Team: Essendon
Been liked: 7 times

Post by leagueiscrap »

leeroy*NRL* wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:51 pm
I think from 1998 to 2012 NRL and the Strom did literally nothing in Melbourne / Victoria..

the last few years things are changing.. quite a fair bit.

#ARLC
#Stromownership
News Corp who then owned them whored the minnowbourne storm out in every one of their news publications?
in 20 plus years the Storm and nrlol has had like one player from Victoria represent them!

the swans moved to Sydney in 1982 and have had hundreds of players from NSW/Sydney play AFL for various clubs including the swans :thumbleft:

basically afl has made great inroads in to NSW and QLD whilst the nrlol isn't a turd in the ocean in Victoria :wave:
Australian sporting sponsorship
AFL excess of $50m
A league $30 million plus
ARU $27 million
NRLOL $25 million

Leagueiscrap
and she still changes your nappies as well!
pusseycat replys
Only when I have an accident.
leagueiscrap
Banned

Post by leagueiscrap »

NRL&NFLweLaughATafl wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:52 pm
Fred wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:44 pm

Fred the sport has only existed in Melbourne for about 20 years. So obviously it is not going to have hundreds of clubs.

But the fact that Rugby League can twice get a bigger crowd for State of Origin than every AFL game ever played in NSW or QLD really says something.

Also the fact that Billy Slater and Cameron Smith will have immortalized statues in Melbourne's AAMI Park really says there is respect for the sport there.

How about the fact Melbournes St Kilda AFL club are paying Billy Slater in a role for their club.

Funny how Billy Slater got such a warm welcome on the AFL footy show in Melbourne. I thought you said the sport was miniscule and nobody knew about it.

All this evidence make me realise Fred is just jealous and has butt hurt. :wink:

The AFL footy show even went as far as calling him a superstar.

But wait Fred, didn't you say nobody knows about Rugby League in Melbourne???

FRED :^o

grasping straws

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rugby_lea ... gby_League

two players in 20 years from. Victoria have played for the minnowbourne storm :wave:
AFL excess of $50m
ARU $27 million
NRLOL $25 million

Leagueiscrap
pusseycat replys
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

I thought it was one player but okay 2.

As I said the Melbourne Storm have had an impact ... they have certainly created awareness of rl so successful there. Problem is that is where it ends ... a niche market and no one really playing the game ... no kids in steers or schools throwing a rl ball around at breaks etc. maybe a bit like gws in western Sydney maybe from what I hear here.

Crowds for one off events will alway turn up ... particularly in Melbourne. You could play the World Series of baseball there and I’m sure it would be a sell out Hardly says baseball is a major sport in Victoria/. You get people going to watch track and feild at the olympics but hardly a major sport. Both sports, however, have far more participants than rl .

So that’s where the Storm (my team) are great but rl struggles.
Veni, vidi, vici
Terry
Coach
Coach

Post by Terry »

Fred wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:54 pm

As I said the Melbourne Storm have had an impact ... they have certainly created awareness of rl so successful there. Problem is that is where it ends ... a niche market and no one really playing the game ... no kids in steers or schools throwing a rl ball around at breaks etc. maybe a bit like gws in western Sydney maybe from what I hear here.

Crowds for one off events will alway turn up ... particularly in Melbourne. You could play the World Series of baseball there and I’m sure it would be a sell out Hardly says baseball is a major sport in Victoria/. You get people going to watch track and feild at the olympics but hardly a major sport. Both sports, however, have far more participants than rl .

"rl struggles' lololololololol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Four of the top five tv rating shows of 2019 says otherwise. Biggest rating sport year on year!! You fumblers are deadest hilarious!!!! Have a group wank boyos lolololololol!!!! Pat each other on the head. High five each other and nod in unison...……….then go back to ya remedial cognitive function course and say hi to the other kiddies for me lolololololol!!!!!! Dills!!!!!
Terry
Coach
Coach

Post by Terry »

The_Wookie wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:12 pm
Terry wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:10 pm
Fred wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:54 pm

"rl struggles' lololololololol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Four of the top five tv rating shows of 2019 says otherwise. Biggest rating sport year on year!! You fumblers are deadest hilarious!!!! Have a group wank boyos lolololololol!!!! Pat each other on the head. High five each other and nod in unison...……….then go back to ya remedial cognitive function course and say hi to the other kiddies for me lolololololol!!!!!! Dills!!!!!
nowhere did he talk about fucking television. But hey when its all you got, you got to go there

if you want to quote someone, at least address his fucking comment.
Gee pal, when he said 'rl struggles' and I addressed that point I thought I was...…..ummmmm….. addressing the point. Your un-hinged pal.
leeroy*NRL*
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Been liked: 67 times

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

Rugby league and Rugby Union are brutal games. will always struggle for high numbers at grassroots.

not many people can afford to work and play Rugby league with the toll on there body it has week in week out.
leagueiscrap
Banned

Post by leagueiscrap »

leeroy*NRL* wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:53 am
Rugby league and Rugby Union are brutal games. will always struggle for high numbers at grassroots.

not many people can afford to work and play Rugby league with the toll on there body it has week in week out.
but but but

as oppose tothe 3 training sessions a week backed up by a game on the weekend in amateur AFL :wave:
AFL excess of $50m
ARU $27 million
NRLOL $25 million

Leagueiscrap
pusseycat replys
ParraEelsNRL
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 9 times

Post by ParraEelsNRL »

LOL, the loon actually thinks afl is as brutal as the rugby codes.
signature removed by Admin.
User has been banned for this and similar comments.
leagueiscrap
Banned

Post by leagueiscrap »

ParraEelsNRL wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:31 pm
LOL, the loon actually thinks afl is as brutal as the rugby codes.
says the one who thinks league is more skilled than afl :(/

if you take the whole aspect of playing each code!
but you won't as your to limited to understand that
AFL excess of $50m
ARU $27 million
NRLOL $25 million

Leagueiscrap
pusseycat replys
ParraEelsNRL
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 9 times

Post by ParraEelsNRL »

I didnt say anything about skills, I stated that Rugby is a more brutal sport, and it is.

Doesn't matter as all outdoor sports will more or less fade away seeing as the younger gen are more into playing a role in their online games being the star themselves if good enough. And it'll only get worse as people start getting into Neuralink and other such devices.
signature removed by Admin.
User has been banned for this and similar comments.