AFL News Stories

Australian Football news and discussion.
leeroy*NRL*
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Been liked: 67 times

AFL News Stories

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

SEN’s Dwayne Russell has revealed that the AFL are interested in reducing quarters to shorten games.

He said the league wants to shorten games by up to as much as 15 minutes in total, cutting two-to-three minutes from each quarter.

The Fox Footy commentator said a maximum of 30-minute quarters is the desired outcome.

It comes after reports that the AFL is looking to shorten half-time breaks from 20 to 15 minutes for this season.

“The AFL is interested in finding a way to shorten games I’m told by maybe up to 15 minutes,” Russell told SEN’s Dwayne’s World.

“Reduce the quarters by two-to-three minutes, bring the quarters back from 32, 33, 34 minutes that we’re often getting back to 29 and 30-minute quarters again like it was in the old days.

“I’m told the AFL wants quarters going for 30 minutes maximum again if they can and I’m told the players want a shorter game as well if they can get it.

He predicts the potential shortening of games wouldn’t take effect until 2021.

“I’m tipping this will come in in 2021 once they find a way to do it. One of the options is to not have any time on in the first five, six or 10 minutes of a quarter unless there is a blood rule or a major stretcher.”
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Re: AFL News Stories

Post by Beaussie »

Apparently the players association are on side with reduced quarters and half time break now too.
leeroy*NRL*
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Been liked: 67 times

Re: AFL News Stories

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

I don't like the reduce quarters,

I would prefer they go down the path of reducing Half Time length along with other breaks.
you could save around 20mins..