Rank the Codes in NSW

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
Quolls2019
Coach
Coach
Team: North Melbourne
Been liked: 119 times

Re: Rank the Codes in NSW

Post by Quolls2019 »

Games today
In the team today

Melbourne Storm, Victorian Players...0

GWS, NSW Players.....5

And a couple from Queensland too.
There are lies, damn lies and then there are ratings.
Rugby league, Australias most popular game in some of North Eastern Australia.
AngloFootballLeague
Captain
Captain
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 6 times

Post by AngloFootballLeague »

Quolls2019 wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:21 pm
Games today
In the team today

GWS, NSW Players.....5

Zero Western Sydney players
Fred
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood
Been liked: 156 times

Post by Fred »

Why does that matter. I don’t think there are any players from Richmond either ???
Veni, vidi, vici
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

Remember 32 players from gws academy have mage afl lists also
Veni, vidi, vici
notaleaguefan
Banned
Team: AFL
Been liked: 25 times

Post by notaleaguefan »

Games today
In the team today

GWS, NSW Players.....5

That 5 NSW players playing today is 4 more than the storm have had in 20 plus years!
notaleaguefan
Banned

Post by notaleaguefan »

AngloFootballLeague wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:58 pm
Games today
In the team today

GWS, NSW Players.....5

Zero Western Sydney players
zero playing for the storm!
And only had 1 in 20 plus years :wave:
AngloFootballLeague
Captain
Captain

Fred wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:57 pm
Academy has only produced one very low draft pick.
AngloFootballLeague
Captain
Captain

Fred wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:56 pm
Why does that matter. I don’t think there are any players from Richmond either ???
Why does NSW number matter? You seem to always report that.
notaleaguefan
Banned

Post by notaleaguefan »

AngloFootballLeague wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:13 pm
It has only been around for a few years!

Unlike the storm 20 plus for their one player!
Hell they can’t even field a feeder team in Victoria
Quolls2019
Coach
Coach
Team: North Melbourne
Been liked: 119 times

Post by Quolls2019 »

Anglofilly likes grasping at straws.
However after defending GWS they certainly let me down today, left their playing game in Western Sydney.
There are lies, damn lies and then there are ratings.
Rugby league, Australias most popular game in some of North Eastern Australia.
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

notaleaguefan wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:16 pm
AngloFootballLeague wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:13 pm
It has only been around for a few years!

Unlike the storm 20 plus for their one player!
Hell they can’t even field a feeder team in Victoria

Are you sure? I posted an article a little back and it said 33 players or around that. But def 2 to GWS.
Veni, vidi, vici
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

Good insights outlined in the article below from today’s SMH and just confirms what I’ve long believed from observations of the codes in Sydney. There is a great graphic illustration of crowds for the Swans, Giants and Waratahs in the SMH online article with the Giants on par with the Waratahs and Swans way out in front.

Fans, membership numbers, crowds, sponsorship, tv ratings and participation numbers continue to show amazing growth for the AFL.

Australian Football is booming in NSW and Sydney in particular. :thumbleft:

My previous rankings of the codes in NSW based on crowds, tv ratings, membership numbers, sponsorships, exposure and participation numbers remains unchanged.

1st. NRL - Rugby League
2nd. AFL - Australian Football
3rd. FFA - Soccer
4th. ARU - Rugby Union

Australian rules football is booming in Sydney. Is it happening at rugby’s expense?
By Vince Rugari
April 17, 2021

When the Sydney Swans and GWS Giants run out onto the SCG on Saturday afternoon, 12 of the 44 players involved will be graduates of their respective academies - the highest ever number for an AFL derby in Sydney.

Were it not for injuries to Isaac Heeney and Harry Perryman, it would be even higher.

A few in red and white, like Braeden Campbell and Errol Gulden, have been at the heart of Sydney’s stunning 4-0 start to the season, prompting predictable cries from Victoria over the unfair advantage the Swans allegedly enjoy through their academy.

Swans young guns Errol Gulden, Justin McInerney, Sam Wicks, Logan McDonald, Chad Warner, James Rowbottom, Braeden Campbell.CREDIT:PHIL HILLYARD

Less than 0.5 per cent of the 3000 kids who have gone through the program have made it onto an AFL list. Only 12 have pulled on the Swans guernsey at AFL level.

The rest may never see their names up in lights. But they are having just as big an impact on the growth of the AFL in NSW, if not bigger - a reality which has been almost entirely overlooked in the academy debate.

Each year, the Swans and Giants academies take in hundreds of promising young athletes - most of them with backgrounds in other sports - and churn out players with better skills, higher footy IQs, a stronger love for the game, and a higher propensity to follow it closely as fans.

They go back to local clubs, where their expertise helps lift the standard of the grassroots game and foster an AFL culture in foreign territory. Last year’s AFL Sydney grand final, for example, involved 26 past and present Swans academy players.

“We’re all very proud when a boy who’s come through the academy gets to make it out onto the SCG or wear the Sydney Swans jumper - or another AFL jumper, for that matter,” said Chris Smith, who has headed up the Swans academy since it began in 2010.

“But I’m a bit of a funny one. I like that boy who sits in the classroom and now has a voice. Instead of being laughed at or ridiculed or ignored, now he’s got a friendship group that actually understands what he’s involved in.”

More than just an elite talent pathway, the AFL academies are a recruitment program for the code wars - and business is booming, particularly in areas that were once regarded as rugby union heartland.

AFL insiders are reluctant to broach that subject, even privately. They insist they have grown the sporting pie in NSW - not eaten into rugby’s share of it. But the evidence is compelling.

According to AFL NSW/ACT, participation in Sydney’s north and around the city has rocketed by nearly 200 per cent over the last decade. Sport Australia’s AusPlay data shows that, between 2016 and 2019, adult AFL participation in NSW (71,325 in 2019) overtook rugby (52,999).

In 2012, Waratahs amost matched the Swans for average crowds sitting in the mid-20,000 range. After a steady decline since, the Waratahs’ average crowd is almost one-third the size (31,069 vs 13,176 in 2019).

The north shore and eastern suburbs have emerged as footy strongholds, and GPS schools which once pumped out Wallabies are now putting up AFL goalposts to satisfy surging student demand. In 2013 there were only six independent schools in Sydney with AFL programs. Now there are 14, with 62 boys teams.

The academies have helped accelerate a process that was already underway. There are myriad factors involved: the Swans’ ability to contend for finals almost every year, the addition of the GWS Giants in 2012. A cohesive governance and management model, where junior clubs and state bodies know their place in the pecking order. The raging success of AusKick, and growing concerns amongst parents about concussion in the rugby codes. All of these have combined to boost Aussie rules at every level in NSW.

Rugby’s recent struggles, and the woes of the Waratahs, certainly haven’t helped. Anecdotally, there has been a migration of fans from the Waratahs to the Swans, which former ARU chief executive John O’Neill first noted to the Herald two years ago - and current Waratahs boss Paul Doorn also admits has probably occurred.

Greg Harris - the former Waratahs CEO, who played first-grade football in Aussie rules, rugby union and rugby league in Sydney, and was the Swans’ chairman of selectors in 1994-1996 - can also recognise it.

As he made his way to Olympic Park for a Wallabies Test match in 2018, he saw families clad in red and white, orange and charcoal, heading the other way after an AFL derby at Giants Stadium.

“I said to my wife, there’s a whole generation rugby’s lost,” Harris said.

The Waratahs used to get crowds on par with the Swans - now they’re barely above the Giants.CREDIT:GETTY

“These things are generational. They don’t happen overnight. I don’t think it’s been a deliberate strategy by the AFL to say, ‘let’s take rugby union’s supporters’. But the AFL long ago identified that every participant brings along a commercial partner. In other words, if my kid’s playing footy, I go and watch footy, and so does my wife and my parents. Participation brings commercial benefits.

“The most important thing you have in any business model is control of your business. That’s what the AFL has. The attitude in rugby is if we beat the All Blacks, the game will be OK. Any business that depends upon one focal point to develop its income stream is always going to be susceptible to failure.”

The phenomenon is being led primarily by the Swans - although that’s to be expected given they have a 30-year head start on the Giants, who face a much tougher task converting the masses in the western suburbs. Most of GWS’s academy graduates come from regional NSW, not western Sydney, but their presence is still being keenly felt, and their average crowds are now almost on par with the Waratahs.

”We are struggling for players. We’re not the only ones,” said Brian Blacklock, the president of the Western Sydney Two Blues rugby club, which is based in Parramatta.

Lukhan Salakaia-Loto scores for the Reds in a big win over the Waratahs at a sparsely attended ANZ Stadium.CREDIT:GETTY

“Whether that’s a byproduct of the growth of Aussie Rules I can’t say, but it certainly wouldn’t be helping. From a branding point of view, they’re killing it. In terms of their ability to be able to clearly identify what their offering is and the potential pathways are, they’re miles in front.

“I remember 20 years ago, there was a fantastic campaign, I want to be a Wallaby. How do I become a Wallaby? Well you start playing here and away you go. That doesn’t exist now. I struggle to name Waratahs players and I’m in the game. Now I couldn’t name a single Swans or Giants players either, but I’m sure their fans have clearly identified who they are and what they’re about.”

Blacklock recalled an old story from a friend, whose son - a Swans and Waratahs fan - was turning 10. He contacted both clubs to see if they could send him any memorabilia.

“The Waratahs sent out a couple of posters and a signed footy. The Swans sent out two injured players to his birthday party,” he said. “It was a while ago, but it sort of shows the difference in resources, and that’s the bottom line.”

Getting them early seems to be the AFL’s modus operandi, and it’s working. Smith said the influence of winning over young athletes, who are “peer leaders” in classrooms and friendship circles, was key to bringing more kids into the tent.

Doorn, who joined the Waratahs at the start of 2020, watches on in envy.

“I’m sure there’s a percentage of people that have shifted from one sport to the other,” he said.

“And I’d like to suggest that when rugby’s going well, there’s a lot of people who would come back. But I’m happy to admit that the success of the Swans in particular and the growth of the GWS Giants means that people have other things they can support.

Sydney’s Tom Hickey during AFL match between the Sydney Swans and Adelaide Crows at the SCG.CREDIT:PHIL HILLYARD

“We don’t see them as a threat, but they do certain things really, really well, and we aspire to do as well one day.“

A crowd of around 30,000 is expected on Saturday for the AFL derby. The Swans are heavily favoured to go 5-0, and are still riding the wave of energy provided by an influx of impressive draftees - like Gulden, the academy product who is already a fan favourite, four games into his career.

The next ones are coming. Smith can remember how at the start of the Swans academy, there were only about a dozen players in each age group who were competent kicks.

“Now within the academy, the way the boys are whizzing the ball around - and we’re slowly getting that traction with the girls as well - the skill level and the game knowledge has increased significantly over those 10 years,” he said.

“We’ve always been confident that our game, once you actually do play it, it’s a very enjoyable game. All we needed to do is at least give kids at school and in the community an option to play it.”

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/afl/austra ... 57jtz.html
Terry
Coach
Coach
Team: Wests Tigers
Been liked: 163 times

Post by Terry »

Beaussie wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:02 am
Good insights outlined in the article below from today’s SMH and just confirms what I’ve long believed from observations of the codes in Sydney. There is a great graphic illustration of crowds for the Swans, Giants and Waratahs in the SMH online article with the Giants on par with the Waratahs and Swans way out in front.

Fans, membership numbers, crowds, sponsorship, tv ratings and participation numbers continue to show amazing growth for the AFL.

Australian Football is booming in NSW and Sydney in particular. :thumbleft:

My previous rankings of the codes in NSW based on crowds, tv ratings, membership numbers, sponsorships, exposure and participation numbers remains unchanged.

1st. NRL - Rugby League
2nd. AFL - Australian Football
3rd. FFA - Soccer
4th. ARU - Rugby Union

Australian rules football is booming in Sydney. Is it happening at rugby’s expense?
By Vince Rugari
April 17, 2021

When the Sydney Swans and GWS Giants run out onto the SCG on Saturday afternoon, 12 of the 44 players involved will be graduates of their respective academies - the highest ever number for an AFL derby in Sydney.

Were it not for injuries to Isaac Heeney and Harry Perryman, it would be even higher.

A few in red and white, like Braeden Campbell and Errol Gulden, have been at the heart of Sydney’s stunning 4-0 start to the season, prompting predictable cries from Victoria over the unfair advantage the Swans allegedly enjoy through their academy.

Swans young guns Errol Gulden, Justin McInerney, Sam Wicks, Logan McDonald, Chad Warner, James Rowbottom, Braeden Campbell.CREDIT:PHIL HILLYARD

Less than 0.5 per cent of the 3000 kids who have gone through the program have made it onto an AFL list. Only 12 have pulled on the Swans guernsey at AFL level.

The rest may never see their names up in lights. But they are having just as big an impact on the growth of the AFL in NSW, if not bigger - a reality which has been almost entirely overlooked in the academy debate.

Each year, the Swans and Giants academies take in hundreds of promising young athletes - most of them with backgrounds in other sports - and churn out players with better skills, higher footy IQs, a stronger love for the game, and a higher propensity to follow it closely as fans.

They go back to local clubs, where their expertise helps lift the standard of the grassroots game and foster an AFL culture in foreign territory. Last year’s AFL Sydney grand final, for example, involved 26 past and present Swans academy players.

“We’re all very proud when a boy who’s come through the academy gets to make it out onto the SCG or wear the Sydney Swans jumper - or another AFL jumper, for that matter,” said Chris Smith, who has headed up the Swans academy since it began in 2010.

“But I’m a bit of a funny one. I like that boy who sits in the classroom and now has a voice. Instead of being laughed at or ridiculed or ignored, now he’s got a friendship group that actually understands what he’s involved in.”

More than just an elite talent pathway, the AFL academies are a recruitment program for the code wars - and business is booming, particularly in areas that were once regarded as rugby union heartland.

AFL insiders are reluctant to broach that subject, even privately. They insist they have grown the sporting pie in NSW - not eaten into rugby’s share of it. But the evidence is compelling.

According to AFL NSW/ACT, participation in Sydney’s north and around the city has rocketed by nearly 200 per cent over the last decade. Sport Australia’s AusPlay data shows that, between 2016 and 2019, adult AFL participation in NSW (71,325 in 2019) overtook rugby (52,999).

In 2012, Waratahs amost matched the Swans for average crowds sitting in the mid-20,000 range. After a steady decline since, the Waratahs’ average crowd is almost one-third the size (31,069 vs 13,176 in 2019).

The north shore and eastern suburbs have emerged as footy strongholds, and GPS schools which once pumped out Wallabies are now putting up AFL goalposts to satisfy surging student demand. In 2013 there were only six independent schools in Sydney with AFL programs. Now there are 14, with 62 boys teams.

The academies have helped accelerate a process that was already underway. There are myriad factors involved: the Swans’ ability to contend for finals almost every year, the addition of the GWS Giants in 2012. A cohesive governance and management model, where junior clubs and state bodies know their place in the pecking order. The raging success of AusKick, and growing concerns amongst parents about concussion in the rugby codes. All of these have combined to boost Aussie rules at every level in NSW.

Rugby’s recent struggles, and the woes of the Waratahs, certainly haven’t helped. Anecdotally, there has been a migration of fans from the Waratahs to the Swans, which former ARU chief executive John O’Neill first noted to the Herald two years ago - and current Waratahs boss Paul Doorn also admits has probably occurred.

Greg Harris - the former Waratahs CEO, who played first-grade football in Aussie rules, rugby union and rugby league in Sydney, and was the Swans’ chairman of selectors in 1994-1996 - can also recognise it.

As he made his way to Olympic Park for a Wallabies Test match in 2018, he saw families clad in red and white, orange and charcoal, heading the other way after an AFL derby at Giants Stadium.

“I said to my wife, there’s a whole generation rugby’s lost,” Harris said.

The Waratahs used to get crowds on par with the Swans - now they’re barely above the Giants.CREDIT:GETTY

“These things are generational. They don’t happen overnight. I don’t think it’s been a deliberate strategy by the AFL to say, ‘let’s take rugby union’s supporters’. But the AFL long ago identified that every participant brings along a commercial partner. In other words, if my kid’s playing footy, I go and watch footy, and so does my wife and my parents. Participation brings commercial benefits.

“The most important thing you have in any business model is control of your business. That’s what the AFL has. The attitude in rugby is if we beat the All Blacks, the game will be OK. Any business that depends upon one focal point to develop its income stream is always going to be susceptible to failure.”

The phenomenon is being led primarily by the Swans - although that’s to be expected given they have a 30-year head start on the Giants, who face a much tougher task converting the masses in the western suburbs. Most of GWS’s academy graduates come from regional NSW, not western Sydney, but their presence is still being keenly felt, and their average crowds are now almost on par with the Waratahs.

”We are struggling for players. We’re not the only ones,” said Brian Blacklock, the president of the Western Sydney Two Blues rugby club, which is based in Parramatta.

Lukhan Salakaia-Loto scores for the Reds in a big win over the Waratahs at a sparsely attended ANZ Stadium.CREDIT:GETTY

“Whether that’s a byproduct of the growth of Aussie Rules I can’t say, but it certainly wouldn’t be helping. From a branding point of view, they’re killing it. In terms of their ability to be able to clearly identify what their offering is and the potential pathways are, they’re miles in front.

“I remember 20 years ago, there was a fantastic campaign, I want to be a Wallaby. How do I become a Wallaby? Well you start playing here and away you go. That doesn’t exist now. I struggle to name Waratahs players and I’m in the game. Now I couldn’t name a single Swans or Giants players either, but I’m sure their fans have clearly identified who they are and what they’re about.”

Blacklock recalled an old story from a friend, whose son - a Swans and Waratahs fan - was turning 10. He contacted both clubs to see if they could send him any memorabilia.

“The Waratahs sent out a couple of posters and a signed footy. The Swans sent out two injured players to his birthday party,” he said. “It was a while ago, but it sort of shows the difference in resources, and that’s the bottom line.”

Getting them early seems to be the AFL’s modus operandi, and it’s working. Smith said the influence of winning over young athletes, who are “peer leaders” in classrooms and friendship circles, was key to bringing more kids into the tent.

Doorn, who joined the Waratahs at the start of 2020, watches on in envy.

“I’m sure there’s a percentage of people that have shifted from one sport to the other,” he said.

“And I’d like to suggest that when rugby’s going well, there’s a lot of people who would come back. But I’m happy to admit that the success of the Swans in particular and the growth of the GWS Giants means that people have other things they can support.

Sydney’s Tom Hickey during AFL match between the Sydney Swans and Adelaide Crows at the SCG.CREDIT:PHIL HILLYARD

“We don’t see them as a threat, but they do certain things really, really well, and we aspire to do as well one day.“

A crowd of around 30,000 is expected on Saturday for the AFL derby. The Swans are heavily favoured to go 5-0, and are still riding the wave of energy provided by an influx of impressive draftees - like Gulden, the academy product who is already a fan favourite, four games into his career.

The next ones are coming. Smith can remember how at the start of the Swans academy, there were only about a dozen players in each age group who were competent kicks.

“Now within the academy, the way the boys are whizzing the ball around - and we’re slowly getting that traction with the girls as well - the skill level and the game knowledge has increased significantly over those 10 years,” he said.

“We’ve always been confident that our game, once you actually do play it, it’s a very enjoyable game. All we needed to do is at least give kids at school and in the community an option to play it.”

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/afl/austra ... 57jtz.html
Good to see ya so excited beatup lololololololol!!!!!!!! These articles come out every couple of years claiming 'boomin' this and 'exciting growth' that! It's propaganda pal. We all remember the Lawson report. You know......... the 'ol "reality verse perception gap" lololoolololol.

I do note they now claim to have taken over RU areas. Not exactly a hard task the way Rugby has been run over the last decade. When the Waratahs and Wallabies start winning again this will quickly revert to normal.

But the main problem ya got is that ya just don't know if AFL folk are telling the truth. They've been caught out lying so many times in the past intelligent people just yawn and move on when they see this predictable chest beating crap!!!!!

Have a great day pal!!!!!!!!!!!!
leeroy*NRL*
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Been liked: 67 times

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

AUS PLAY Numbers..

ohh the numbers where 2 AFL football players go to a school for the day

and do drills with 400 kids for 45mins and there counted towards Participation..

this is becoming a joke
leeroy*NRL*
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Been liked: 67 times

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

The_Wookie wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:51 am
leeroy*NRL* wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:57 am
AUS PLAY Numbers..

ohh the numbers where 2 AFL football players go to a school for the day

and do drills with 400 kids for 45mins and there counted towards Participation..

this is becoming a joke
Your comment is a fucking joke.

AFL standard for participation is 6 weeks. Not a fucking one day clinic.

OH and lets not forget that this was addressed a fucking decade ago. It was 2012, a review was done and was acted on, Ausplay data isnt AFL data its government and Vince fucking Rugari is not an AFL reporter, but a soccer one.

Hows the fucking NRL crowds going? will they ever be reported right? The storm must still be getting multi million dollar handouts from the NRL and the Sharks are financially shit. I mean if we are going to keep dwelling on this bullshit from 2012 lets keep it fucking all out there.
ease up...

I disagree with the numbers in my opinion. they don't add up.

ohh and NRL never gave money to Storm, That was News Limited.
and Sharks well there actually pretty well off. (which suxs cause i want them relocated)