How does it feel knowing Australians embraced Rugby League yet English rejected AFL?

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
Terry
Coach
Coach
Team: Wests Tigers
Been liked: 163 times

Re: How does it feel knowing Australians embraced Rugby League yet English rejected AFL?

Post by Terry »

Fred wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:22 pm
You can’t even play rl in large parts of Australia. You can afl Australian rules just about everywhere.
So what Freddo?? Soccer has the biggest participation in the land my friend......how are they going?? Over rated stat pal.
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach
Team: The Scottish Puffins
Been liked: 75 times

Re: How does it feel knowing Australians embraced Rugby League yet English rejected AFL?

Post by AFLcrap1 »

Non contact version of RL
Invented by South Syd .
So I'd say it's part of RL
TLPG 🤣liar extraordinaire
You should thank me for publishing your IP

and I never published any actual IP. That's it.
🤣
I was a mod at the time .
Xman wrote
I also gave them to TLPG believing he was still a mod.I admit I made a mistake.
:^o :^o
notaleaguefan
Banned
Team: AFL
Been liked: 25 times

Post by notaleaguefan »

NRL&NFLweLaughATafl wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:42 pm
Quolls2019 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:11 am
I am still can’t see where England has embraced Rugby league:
Super league Rnd 25 total 46872. Average 7812
Championship Rnd 23 11734 Ave 1896

NRL + SL + Ch total 175693

AFL Rnd 22 total 323,050 and it wasn’t a great attendance for AFL.

As said by others, I don’t think the majority of AFL fans have any “feelings” at all about Australian Rules not being played professionally in England , but it appears not many English care about chuckball in England.

I met Victorian Aussies when working in the trade over in England. Honestly most Brits wouldn't even know AFL exists and those that do know it find it very confusing and not worth watching.

Plenty of Northern English I met like Rugby League. Obviously behind Soccer and Union, but AFL will just get blank looks if spoken about there by pretty much everyone. :mrgreen:

AFL really was rejected and non existing there.
Cool story bra!
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach

Post by AFLcrap1 »

notaleaguefan wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:12 am
NRL&NFLweLaughATafl wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:42 pm
Quolls2019 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:11 am
I am still can’t see where England has embraced Rugby league:
Super league Rnd 25 total 46872. Average 7812
Championship Rnd 23 11734 Ave 1896

NRL + SL + Ch total 175693

AFL Rnd 22 total 323,050 and it wasn’t a great attendance for AFL.

As said by others, I don’t think the majority of AFL fans have any “feelings” at all about Australian Rules not being played professionally in England , but it appears not many English care about chuckball in England.

I met Victorian Aussies when working in the trade over in England. Honestly most Brits wouldn't even know AFL exists and those that do know it find it very confusing and not worth watching.

Plenty of Northern English I met like Rugby League. Obviously behind Soccer and Union, but AFL will just get blank looks if spoken about there by pretty much everyone. :mrgreen:

AFL really was rejected and non existing there.
Cool story bra!

Even if it was bullshit it's got nothing on the whoppers told by the Aflol nutters

I miss Sarge with his secret agent army stuff .
Also vroom vroom was great entertainment

🤣
Xman wrote
Quolls2019
Coach
Coach
Team: North Melbourne
Been liked: 119 times

Post by Quolls2019 »

Please see the below table showing the Super League average for the years that the AFL played demonstration games in England, Also the date the demonstration game was played and the attendance.

Year SL ave AFL Date Attendance
2012 10,151 3/11/12 10,232
2006 9,026 21/1/06 12,129
2005 8,884 8/10/05 18,884
2003 7,955 11/10/03 12,847
2002 7,206 12/10/02 13,000
2000 7,415 7/10/00 4,500
1999 6,266 9/10/99 12,000
1998 6,915 10/10/98 12,000
1997 12,346 12/10/97 14,000

As you can see the AFL attendance was higher in all but one game, so if the AFL were ignored, unsupported, rejected and laughed at it doesn’t speak well of Chuckball.

And showing a photo of a super league grand final as evidence of the Rejection of AFL is desperate, delusion or both. The AFL was not played a Grand Final in England and why would they? It’s Australian Rules!
If the argument is “what a great crowd”, well one good crowd a year does not a great comp make, if for some strange reason you are comparing it to an Australian Grand Final crowd, you lost, badly.
There are lies, damn lies and then there are ratings.
Rugby league, Australias most popular game in some of North Eastern Australia.
Fred
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood
Been liked: 156 times

Post by Fred »

AFLcrap1 wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:29 pm
Non contact version of RL
Invented by South Syd .
So I'd say it's part of RL
You can't have it both ways - saying RL is not part of Union - two separate games - yet Touch is part of RL and not a separate game.

ITF class themselves as their own sport but work in partnership with League and Union in various countries. Many countries count it under the Union umbrella. I think the Governing Body would have a say in it. It certainly came out of League as League came out of Union - but it is not RL.
Veni, vidi, vici
Quolls2019
Coach
Coach
Team: North Melbourne
Been liked: 119 times

Post by Quolls2019 »

Well Chuckles you make some valid points about overseas sports

THE FACTS ARE

AFL HAVE NO OTHER COUNTRY TO PLAY THEIR GAME AGAINST.

True, don’t think most fans care or even think about it.

NO PROFESSIONAL CLUBS OUTSIDE AUSTRALIA.

True, don’t care, that way we don’t lose players to teams outside Australia...a good thing,

NO PROFESSIONAL LEAGUES OUTSIDE AUSTRALIA.

True, as above

NO SUPPORT OUTSIDE AUSTRALIA.

Not a lot, but there is some, not sure any fans care

NO INTEREST OUTSIDE AUSTRALIA...

There is, but not a lot. I visit the US bi annually and did spend a couple of months in New York a couple of years ago, I was often asked about that “aussie” game whether out of genuine interest, courtesy or curiosity don’t know, but I would think they are aware because of the success of ex AFL punters over time (you know, experts in foot, ball, kick, actual football) I was never once asked about League, Union or Soccer. MLS is certainly growing in popularity there.
After spending many an hour in their many sportsbars I can’t but admire their passion for gridiron I just can’t understand it, 3+ hours for 14 minutes of actual ball in play time.
However, after spending some time in Oklahoma, Kansas, Missouri and Texas last year, in the very unlikely event that some Billionaires want to start Australian Rules League over there, never, ever, ever in Winter.

Rugby Union, Soccer, Rugby League, Gridiron

Are all played at professional levels in more than one country.

Not too sure about professional Gridiron outside the US, the Europe attempt failed, and the CFL consider themselves a different game like league does with Union. There is no non US team in the NFL. The CFL had several US teams over time but they all failed. There are small gridiron comps in other countries, in Australia too, but there are small Australian rules comps in other countries too.

AFL is the only one nation lemon that can't grow outside of one country.

For a lemon it seems to be pretty sweet in Australia.
Gridiron, Canadian Football, Gaelic Football and Australian rules are all pretty much one country codes. And there are other traditional football type games restricted to one country.

Australian Rules is one of the most stable of football competitions.
Since 1897 on the formation of the VFL only 2 teams have failed, that is, ceased operating, withdrawn from the competition or merged.

The NFL has had a total of 49 franchises become defunct over its history ((since 1920)); this includes ten of the league's twelve founding members, with the only the Chicago Bears and Arizona Cardinals surviving to the present day.

NSWRFL/NRL/SL have lost 15 since 1908

Super Rugby, well they’ve been a bit all over the place, so just counting from the Super 12 starting in 1995, I could argue more but let’s say, 4.

English first division/Premier league since 1888, 60+

Super League from 1997, 3 teams are no longer in existence.

The Canadian Football league has lost 11 since 1946

And what’s important about stability: a healthy competition, crowds, sponsorship, TV, popularity .....money, success, stability.

So does the majority or average Australian Rules Fan(s) care that it is not popular over seas, that it has been rejected by England (since there has been no serious attempt to establish it there, a delusional theory, exhibition games are just that, and those games had a higher attendance than the average for Super League), no they don’t care, in fact don’t give it any thought at all, why should they, they have the superior game, if they didn’t Chuckball would be more popular.

It’s Australian because it’s Australian.
Let’s keep it that way.
Not that hard to understand.
These users liked the author Quolls2019 for the post:
Cats_Steve (Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:16 pm)
There are lies, damn lies and then there are ratings.
Rugby league, Australias most popular game in some of North Eastern Australia.
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

I think the rl fans on here care way too much about how Aussie Rules does overseas? Maybe it’s small man syndrome ? Maybe they may be living in the 80s where approval from people overseas was still sought. Who knows. Watching a rl match, the commentators, the suburban grounds.... maybe they is stuck on the 80s lol.
These users liked the author Fred for the post:
notaleaguefan (Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:37 am)
Veni, vidi, vici
Terry
Coach
Coach

Post by Terry »

Fred wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:35 pm
I think the rl fans on here care way too much about how Aussie Rules does overseas? Maybe it’s small man syndrome ? Maybe they may be living in the 80s where approval from people overseas was still sought. Who knows. Watching a rl match, the commentators, the suburban grounds.... maybe they is stuck on the 80s lol.
Ah Freddy boy.........always good for a belly laugh lolol!!!!!!!!
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach

Post by AFLcrap1 »

Lol yep

🤣
Xman wrote
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

You agree with me crapper. There’s a first. But I welcome it.
Veni, vidi, vici
Terry
Coach
Coach

Post by Terry »

Fred wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:10 pm
You agree with me crapper. There’s a first. But I welcome it.
Ummmm Freddy.....he,s actually agreeing you,re good for a belly laugh pal lololol!!!
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach

Post by AFLcrap1 »

lol comprehension is a major issue with fumblefans ..

🤣
Xman wrote
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

AFLcrap1 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:31 pm
lol comprehension is a major issue with fumblefans ..
This coming from you AFL crap - seriously........ I mean those in glass houses.
Veni, vidi, vici
NRL&NFLweLaughATafl
Coach
Coach
Team: Manly Sea Eagles and Huddersfield Giants
Been liked: 13 times

Post by NRL&NFLweLaughATafl »

Fred wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:22 pm
You can’t even play rl in large parts of Australia. You can afl Australian rules just about everywhere.
Rugby League has a presence of some type if every state of Australia.

How does it feel knowing reserve grade rugby league in more international than first grade AFL?

Really puts things into perspective hey Fred :wink:
RUGBY LEAGUE 28 FIRST GRADE CLUBS IN 5 COUNTRIES
🇦🇺 🇨🇦 🇫🇷 🇳🇿 🇬🇧
AUSSIE RULES 18 FIRST GRADE CLUBS IN 1 COUNTRY
🇭🇲
Rugby League in Canada (Toronto Wolfpack)
http://www.torontowolfpack.com

UK Rugby League
http://www.rugby-league.com