The truth crusades - it’s time to address the lies deceipt and misinformation: Frontier Wikipedia

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

The truth crusades - it’s time to address the lies deceipt and misinformation: Frontier Wikipedia

Post by King-Eliagh »

:wave:

Dearest members and guests, :salute: I’ve come across a few Wikipedia sites with appalling omissions of late (namely the Afl Wikipedia page and the USA Afl Wikipedia page) I was disgusted to see that the afl’s constant battles with crowd racism isn’t well documented on its Wikipedia site. And then, when perusing the USA Afl wikipedia site for a few giggles I was also quite disgusted with the deceitful publishing of misinformation and outright lies I found on there. I mean, it suggests there’s 10,000 registered players and more than 40 clubs running round over there :(/ a quick look at the club links found many of the websites removed faulty or not even Afl websites at all (one of em is a random chinese website) and then there’s also plenty of evidence online which suggests there’s less than 2000 registered players, and more likely less than a thousand.

Now whilst it is quite funny that some sad sacs wanna pretend things are going great guns, i think it’s important that the truth is told, especially in regards to crowd racism and violence in the Afl in Australia. So...members, I’m proposing a truth crusade. This thread can be used as a base for discussing what needs to be edited and who is willing to do the editing to Wikipedia sites so we can keep the bastards honest! :lol:

Happy for Afl fans who think nrl Wikipedia sites may need editing to also have their two cents worth in here ... tho from the evidence at hand I’m thinking there’ll be a lot less work to do on nrl Wikipedia sites ;)

:cheers:

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach
Team: The Scottish Puffins
Been liked: 75 times

Re: The truth crusades - it’s time to address the lies deceipt and misinformation: Frontier Wikipedia

Post by AFLcrap1 »

The zealots have no issues with bullshit .
Lol they probably learnt off AFL house .
TLPG 🤣liar extraordinaire
You should thank me for publishing your IP

and I never published any actual IP. That's it.
🤣
I was a mod at the time .
Xman wrote
I also gave them to TLPG believing he was still a mod.I admit I made a mistake.
:^o :^o
Quolls2019
Coach
Coach
Team: North Melbourne
Been liked: 119 times

Re: The truth crusades - it’s time to address the lies deceipt and misinformation: Frontier Wikipedia

Post by Quolls2019 »

The USAFL.com site lists 45 clubs, a random sample of individual clubs shows some very active, some changed names and some with no news updates since last year.

The main site is current and active.

But it is only a hobby sport over there, no denying.
There are lies, damn lies and then there are ratings.
Rugby league, Australias most popular game in some of North Eastern Australia.
AngloFootballLeague
Captain
Captain
Been liked: 6 times

Post by AngloFootballLeague »

Content & sheer number of wiki pages relating to international Anglofl is beyond sad. Trying to give off impression the game is global - of course we all know any presence overseas is a bunch of expats with witches hats.
Makes a mockery of anybody who say there's no push to expand outside of this country. Wouldn't surprise me if the same deniers here are updating these wiki pages.
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Been liked: 11 times

Post by King-Eliagh »

Quolls2019 wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:31 pm
The USAFL.com site lists 45 clubs, a random sample of individual clubs shows some very active, some changed names and some with no news updates since last year.

The main site is current and active.

But it is only a hobby sport over there, no denying.
Thanks for pointing out the usafl.com site is also a dubious site of information. This thread is particularly aimed towards Wikipedia and improving the accuracy of info on afl for the world to get honest and truthful info on afl from Wikipedia. But if you could help out by contacting the usafl site and asking them to reduce the number of Clubs cited on their website to display a more accurate account of what is really happening that’d be great quolls :thumbleft: could you do that and let us know the response please? :cheers:

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?
Quolls2019
Coach
Coach

Post by Quolls2019 »

Thanks for your kind offer, but I politely decline.
Far be it from me to interfere in international affairs.
Or try to prove the Not Really Logical view that yes Australian Football is not played over seas when quite clearly it is, on a minor scale, but still organised.
Or has the argument moved to “yes they do but they plot and lie about the number of sides and players”?
Does it matter?
Do I care?
Not much.
The biggest impact the international rugby leagues have on the Australian competition is to poach their players.
And if Australian Rules never gets big enough internationally for that to happen here, all the better.
I do not think Australian Rules will ever be big overseas, and they are not the lesser sport for it.
AngloFootballLeague
Captain
Captain
Been liked: 6 times

Post by AngloFootballLeague »

Anglofl pushing lie that game is based on indigenous marn grook;
https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2019-06- ... fmredir=sm
Terry
Coach
Coach
Team: Wests Tigers
Been liked: 163 times

Post by Terry »

The_Wookie wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:35 am
AngloFootballLeague wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:22 am
Anglofl pushing lie that game is based on indigenous marn grook;
https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2019-06- ... fmredir=sm
Its not so much a lie as an extrapoloation based on the assumpotion that Wills was influenced by local aboriginal kids he played with growing up in Victoria.

Im not a big subscriber to the theory.
It's a total fallacy and has been found as much by academics who researched it.
Terry
Coach
Coach

Post by Terry »

The_Wookie wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:54 am
And other academics disagree. And oddly enough the academics that have found it a fallacy seem to be historians with an active interest in other codes.
Who are the academics who disagree?? The most authoritative research was actually produced by the AFL itself. The author Gillian Hibbins is a self confessed AFL fan. In an interview she told The Weekend Australian that while many football fans ­ herself included ­ would like to believe there was a direct link to indigenous culture, her research proved otherwise.

Any claims otherwise are based on speculation without one piece of primary evidence.

http://glenferrierotary.org.au/images/A ... ralian.pdf
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach
Team: The Scottish Puffins
Been liked: 75 times

Post by AFLcrap1 »

Lol
Terry ...let's not shatter the afl fans illusions .
TLPG 🤣liar extraordinaire
You should thank me for publishing your IP

and I never published any actual IP. That's it.
🤣
I was a mod at the time .
Xman wrote
I also gave them to TLPG believing he was still a mod.I admit I made a mistake.
:^o :^o
Quolls2019
Coach
Coach

Post by Quolls2019 »

Wills may or may not have seen the aboriginals play their version of keepings off.
He certainly had much contact with mobs in 3 colonies.
He had very good relationships with Australian natives and was responsible for promoting their sporting ability both in Australia and overseas, in fact he formed, trained and toured with the first aboriginal cricket team.
And this was after most of his family were killed in a battle with the natives.

Wills was a great sportsman, he was also obsessive and not prone to considering anyone else’s opinion, which in the end, when he was pretty much ostracised, led to his demise.
Mob football has played in some areas and not in others and the style of play differed signicantly, in some areas a high catch was common in others it wasn’t, in some areas it wasn’t reported as not being played at all.
Wills wrote profusely, to anyone and everyone, many mentions about aboriginal sporting skills but no
mention of aboriginal football.
One contributing factor of this mythical contributing belief is the high marking was a direct result of the aboriginal game, but this was not a feature of Victorian rules until several decades after its formation.
Another is that several Murray river mobs word for catch was very similar to mark, but catching the ball in Victorian Rules was initially referred to as a fair catch, as it was in several other early ball games, mark came from making or leaving a mark from where you would take a free kick, it evolved later. Still has a couple of uses in Australian rules. Taking a catch and “standing on the mark, going over the mark, off his mark etc.
pussycat
Coach
Coach
Team: The Shanghai Sharks
Been liked: 32 times

Post by pussycat »

Drugs, Lies and AFL Media

Tom Basso

· AFL Season 2019

AFL Player’s Association CEO Paul Marsh has for the first time publicly conceded the illegitimate nature of the illicit drugs policy.

Marsh admitted, in an interview with AFL Media’s chief football journalist Damien Barrett, that the contentious policy is not really a “two-strike” policy and that players effectively have unlimited so-called “strikes” once subjected to a “program.”

This follows my reports earlier this month that the AFL’s illicit drugs policy “has never been practically used,” is “an open joke amongst AFL players” and that “the strikes are meaningless.”

However, Paul Marsh’s comments are still significant, as it is the first time that an AFL or AFLPA official has spoken out against the policy on record. Kudos to him for having the honesty and integrity to do so, but that does not mean we are going to overlook other falsehoods.

Marsh rejected that there was an “understanding” between the players that there will never be a public naming of a player under the AFL’s current approach to illicit drugs. “No, absolutely not the case, absolutely not the case,” Marsh told AFL Media’s In the Game podcast. That is an emphatic denial. But clearly that understanding exists.

It is difficult to find a feasible situation in which the AFL would publicly name a player they have caught taking illicit drugs. That is because they never will, despite certainly having plenty of opportunities to do so in the past. The policy (in name only) has supposedly existed for fifteen years. Players have surely run out of strikes in that time. But unless they have been caught by the media or the police, nothing has happened. In fact, when players have been caught externally, the punishments the AFL imposes upon them have never fit the penalties outlined in the policy.

Marsh stated that players do receive a “strike” if the discussions (rather negotiations?) suggest that the behaviour was simply a “one-off” incident. Of course, one “strike” does not carry any public revelation or suspension, or any form of significant punishment at all.

Marsh revealed that players do not receive a strike and are instead referred to medical program if they show a “consistent pattern” (ie. multiple instances) of illicit drug use. Therefore, they are not named. So, for all intents and purposes it is impossible for a player to record two strikes and hence, be named (despite the official policy stating that players who record two strikes will be named and suspended). If that is not an understanding that no players will be named – what is?

When challenged by Barrett, on the point that there clearly is not a two-strike policy, Marsh proclaimed, “I don’t care what we call it… if you want to call it something else, call it something else.”

Oh I will! “PR fabrication” seems most apt. So, thanks for the invitation, Paul. We are going to call it what it is from now on, because the fans do not deserve to be treated for fools,. They deserve honesty.

But Marsh insists he has had nothing to do with the false messaging surrounding this PR fabrication as he critiscied the public and the media for their lack of knowledge on the issue. Marsh stated, “I don’t even know where it started the whole two strikes versus three strikes. I don’t even know where that came from.”

Hmmm, maybe it was from… THE AFL! That is what the public is told is the actual policy by the people who run the game! Clearly, what we are being told is so far removed from reality, that those inside the tent have lost complete touch with it.

The fans constantly hear this nonsense about the strike system, so please do not even think about blaming them for still having faith and trust in those running the league. All they have to do is rewind the podcast to two minutes earlier to hear, the very same Paul Marsh say, “it’s a two-strike policy now, it used to be three. We have made changes to it.”

Paul Marsh continued to disagree with Paul Marsh, and again blamed the fans and media, lamenting, “I don’t know why we have this fascination with wanting to catch and out and penalise.” It’s amazing that he doesn’t know why, really. The fascination comes because that’s what the public are told the rules actually are!

The AFL and AFLPA cannot continue to lie about this and blame the public for believing the lie. That is akin to stabbing someone in the back and blaming them for bleeding on the carpet.

You may not care about the issue of drugs, but you, the fans, should care about the lies.

https://themongrelpunt.com/afl/2019/03/16/drugslies
Rugby League, the dominant force in Australian sport! :cheers:

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get, At times I've looked at them and had a giggle." Peter V'Landys
Quolls2019
Coach
Coach

Post by Quolls2019 »

More on Wills.
I forgot to mention.
He was born in Australia but went to England to study at Rugby where he became a renowned cricketer. There is some evidence that he tried to organise intra and inter collegiate football as even within rugby there were several ways of playing the game, there is no evidence that this upstart Australian was listened to.
Several years later, on his return to Victoria, when developing the rules for what became Victorian Rules, with several other English educated mem, he stated that the rules of rugby were not suitable for grown men.
Of course Rugby as it was when he expierienced it, was very different that what evolved a a couple of decades later.
Another football myth still believed by a few is that “Rugby” started when William Wallace Webb” caught the ball and ran with it, mostly reported as occurring in 1823, the first mention anywhere is in 1876 with no references given.
Rugby school rules varied from year to year over this time but mostly, running with the ball was forbidden or at the least frowned upon as this is what they did in mob football, a commoners game.
The Gaelic football influence in Australian rules is another Myth, but that is for another time.
Quolls2019
Coach
Coach

Post by Quolls2019 »

Oops I got the name wrong, memory fades with age “William Webb Ellis” is the name. Wallace was famous for other things. Must stop writing posts from memory.
Terry
Coach
Coach

Post by Terry »

pussycat wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:23 pm
Drugs, Lies and AFL Media

Tom Basso

· AFL Season 2019

AFL Player’s Association CEO Paul Marsh has for the first time publicly conceded the illegitimate nature of the illicit drugs policy.

Marsh admitted, in an interview with AFL Media’s chief football journalist Damien Barrett, that the contentious policy is not really a “two-strike” policy and that players effectively have unlimited so-called “strikes” once subjected to a “program.”

This follows my reports earlier this month that the AFL’s illicit drugs policy “has never been practically used,” is “an open joke amongst AFL players” and that “the strikes are meaningless.”

However, Paul Marsh’s comments are still significant, as it is the first time that an AFL or AFLPA official has spoken out against the policy on record. Kudos to him for having the honesty and integrity to do so, but that does not mean we are going to overlook other falsehoods.

Marsh rejected that there was an “understanding” between the players that there will never be a public naming of a player under the AFL’s current approach to illicit drugs. “No, absolutely not the case, absolutely not the case,” Marsh told AFL Media’s In the Game podcast. That is an emphatic denial. But clearly that understanding exists.

It is difficult to find a feasible situation in which the AFL would publicly name a player they have caught taking illicit drugs. That is because they never will, despite certainly having plenty of opportunities to do so in the past. The policy (in name only) has supposedly existed for fifteen years. Players have surely run out of strikes in that time. But unless they have been caught by the media or the police, nothing has happened. In fact, when players have been caught externally, the punishments the AFL imposes upon them have never fit the penalties outlined in the policy.

Marsh stated that players do receive a “strike” if the discussions (rather negotiations?) suggest that the behaviour was simply a “one-off” incident. Of course, one “strike” does not carry any public revelation or suspension, or any form of significant punishment at all.

Marsh revealed that players do not receive a strike and are instead referred to medical program if they show a “consistent pattern” (ie. multiple instances) of illicit drug use. Therefore, they are not named. So, for all intents and purposes it is impossible for a player to record two strikes and hence, be named (despite the official policy stating that players who record two strikes will be named and suspended). If that is not an understanding that no players will be named – what is?

When challenged by Barrett, on the point that there clearly is not a two-strike policy, Marsh proclaimed, “I don’t care what we call it… if you want to call it something else, call it something else.”

Oh I will! “PR fabrication” seems most apt. So, thanks for the invitation, Paul. We are going to call it what it is from now on, because the fans do not deserve to be treated for fools,. They deserve honesty.

But Marsh insists he has had nothing to do with the false messaging surrounding this PR fabrication as he critiscied the public and the media for their lack of knowledge on the issue. Marsh stated, “I don’t even know where it started the whole two strikes versus three strikes. I don’t even know where that came from.”

Hmmm, maybe it was from… THE AFL! That is what the public is told is the actual policy by the people who run the game! Clearly, what we are being told is so far removed from reality, that those inside the tent have lost complete touch with it.

The fans constantly hear this nonsense about the strike system, so please do not even think about blaming them for still having faith and trust in those running the league. All they have to do is rewind the podcast to two minutes earlier to hear, the very same Paul Marsh say, “it’s a two-strike policy now, it used to be three. We have made changes to it.”

Paul Marsh continued to disagree with Paul Marsh, and again blamed the fans and media, lamenting, “I don’t know why we have this fascination with wanting to catch and out and penalise.” It’s amazing that he doesn’t know why, really. The fascination comes because that’s what the public are told the rules actually are!

The AFL and AFLPA cannot continue to lie about this and blame the public for believing the lie. That is akin to stabbing someone in the back and blaming them for bleeding on the carpet.

You may not care about the issue of drugs, but you, the fans, should care about the lies.

https://themongrelpunt.com/afl/2019/03/16/drugslies
Wow!!!!!! Who woulda known......the AFL lies lololololololol!!!!!!!

It's great to see some journo's finally calling 'em out on it. It permeates the whole business. Let's hope some other media outlets have a harder look at 'em as well!!!