Fight Club - Football TV Ratings (AFL vs NRL)

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
Fred
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood
Been liked: 156 times

Re: Fight Club - Football TV Ratings

Post by Fred »

I’m happy just to compare nrl and afl premiership seasons. I thought people wanted cumulative ratings rather than average ? Wasn’t this the whole discussion a while back? With rl folk wanting cumulative ... which they won last year?

Didn’t we have a table that also that segregated the ratings into nrl and afl premiership season and then all rl and Aussie Rules?

Is the purpose of using rating to state which is the more popular code in Australia ... if so nz ratings would not be required. But if the purpose is which code gets the most ratings across both countries, then by all means count them.

I think just keeping it simple ... which I agree is not so straight forward. The really only measure that isn’t confounded are possibly the finals as very similar in many ways. Of course this favours afl so can’t see that be acceptable. Just that all the other ways are so compromised.
Veni, vidi, vici
pussycat
Coach
Coach
Team: The Shanghai Sharks
Been liked: 32 times

Post by pussycat »

The_Wookie wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:07 am
all the ratings are real - you want to call it the most watched sport and include events not in the premiership season, "league is more than just the premiership season" - the same applies to the AFL.

Its like when league folks bitched about regionals, apparently forgetting that the AFL had them too - and in a fair enough quantity that the overall picture was closer than they believed.
Origin IS in the premiership season . And is in fact a central part of our season as are the Warriors and the 6 or 7 million ratings they provide the NRL/ARLC with each year.

While it may be fair enough that the vast majority of the Warriors ratings aren't counted. I do think our match Average should reflect this. It's 7.5 matches each round not 8!
Rugby League, the dominant force in Australian sport! :cheers:

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get, At times I've looked at them and had a giggle." Peter V'Landys
Terry
Coach
Coach
Team: Wests Tigers
Been liked: 163 times

Post by Terry »

Fred wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:11 pm
I’m happy just to compare nrl and afl premiership seasons. I thought people wanted cumulative ratings rather than average ? Wasn’t this the whole discussion a while back? With rl folk wanting cumulative ... which they won last year?

Didn’t we have a table that also that segregated the ratings into nrl and afl premiership season and then all rl and Aussie Rules?

Is the purpose of using rating to state which is the more popular code in Australia ... if so nz ratings would not be required. But if the purpose is which code gets the most ratings across both countries, then by all means count them.

I think just keeping it simple ... which I agree is not so straight forward. The really only measure that isn’t confounded are possibly the finals as very similar in many ways. Of course this favours afl so can’t see that be acceptable. Just that all the other ways are so compromised.
I dunno know Freddy, this is why this site is so tiresome. Do we need to get into the goldfish bowl again. This has been explained over and over and over!!!!!!

RL folk want whats fair and equitable. The way Wookie did it previously was very good with his graphs etc. I believe he is now unable to do those due to legal reasons. Everyone could add in or strike out whatever thay wanted......you know......like you struck out as much RL as you could and folk laughed!!!

In the past couple of weeks he seems to be grabbing numbers from anywhere......except NZ.

As I have repeatedly stated......like over and over and over. The best way is to compare the elite levels of both sports. The levels that generate revenue. That's AFL domestic comp V NRL domestic comp + SOO & limited internationals.

Seal the number of games at the number of AFL H&A games as they have more than the NRL comp. That means adding in 3 SOO & I believe about 3/4 internationals. Whatever equals total AFL games.

And voila......we compare the exact number of games at the elite levels of the respective codes.

So there ya have it!!!! Hopefully you'll remember this into the future!!
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

I see what you are saying but don’t agree in adding soo and internationals .... yes this would suit you in your claims agree but adding in 3 soo games that are marquee events and not part of the nrl season is adding in 3 massive outliers. This obviously skews (and it is a skew) the results. You could just as easily remove the extra number of afl games played but don’t thi k that is the answer either.

I think Wookie is adding all Aussie Rules and all rl in comparing codes. So not picking and choosing what to add ... just what it on tv for each code.

Agree, we can go over and over this ...as we do and I don’t think anyone will be satisfied unless the results favour their code. One minute it is cumulative, next it’s averages, include soo but don’t include other games, include all games. What’s that saying about statistics .... lies lies and damned statistics . Or something like that . Anyway good chat.
Last edited by Fred on Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Veni, vidi, vici
Terry
Coach
Coach

Post by Terry »

Fred wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:53 pm
I see what you are saying but don’t agree in adding soo and internationals .... yes this would suit you in your claims agree but adding in 3 soo games that are marquee events and not part of the nrl season is adding in 3 massive outliers. This obviously skews (and it is a skew) the results. You could just as easily remove the extra number of afl games played but don’t thi k that is the answer either.

I think Wookie is adding all Aussie Rules and all rl in comparing codes. So not picking and choosing what to add ... just what it on tv for each code.

Agree, we can go over and over this ...as we do and I don’t think anyone will be satisfied unless the results favour their code. One minute it is cumulative, next it’s averages, include soo but don’t include other games, include all games. What’s that saying about statistics .... lies lies and damned statistics . Or something like that .
Pal, it's never been one minute this ......another minute something else for RL folk.

It is of course noted that when the AFL numbers tanked last year the AFL folk, yourself included, left the battle field. Were not heard from. You know.......hid in the jungle. You and others returned once the numbers somewhat recovered.

That in itself speaks volumes about fumble fans here. They'll only listen to what suits their bias. And when the facts prove otherwise they just disappear.......vacate the space.....run for their lives.

I'll guarantee that if the AFL gets more legitimate ratings this year I will still be here. And I will acknowledge the achievement. Something fumbling folk are totally unable to do!!!
Terry
Coach
Coach

Post by Terry »

The_Wookie wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:18 pm
Terry wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:38 pm
I dunno know Freddy, this is why this site is so tiresome. Do we need to get into the goldfish bowl again. This has been explained over and over and over!!!!!!
yes it has. And you lot are no better at understanding it apparently because every fucking season its the same.
RL folk want whats fair and equitable.
No they dont. They want the figures that suit them. And then call it "the most watched sport". Not most watched competition. Not most watched league. Most watched sport.
The way Wookie did it previously was very good with his graphs etc. I believe he is now unable to do those due to legal reasons. Everyone could add in or strike out whatever thay wanted......you know......like you struck out as much RL as you could and folk laughed!!!
There are indeed legal reasons why i cant produce them. I have produced the data in text format periodically, although i try to not include the same data in every blackbox article i submit.
In the past couple of weeks he seems to be grabbing numbers from anywhere......except NZ.
Im getting the data direct from 7, 9 and Oztam as I have all season. My source material has never been this good before. Amazing what actually writing for a media group gets you.

Get this through your thick head. There is NO data - zero, zilch, nada - for New Zealand and hasnt been since 2014. All we are told is vague percentage increases, and if i ever get the time and inclination, Ill go back and see if i can get an estimate even remotely close to being accurate.
As I have repeatedly stated......like over and over and over. The best way is to compare the elite levels of both sports. The levels that generate revenue. That's AFL domestic comp V NRL domestic comp + SOO & limited internationals.
The AFLs media deals includes AFLX, the JLT series and AFLW. Just the same as the NRL deal includes the Allstars, Charity Shield and other preseason fixtures.
Seal the number of games at the number of AFL H&A games as they have more than the NRL comp. That means adding in 3 SOO & I believe about 3/4 internationals. Whatever equals total AFL games.
yeah because thats not just an abitrary number at all.
And voila......we compare the exact number of games at the elite levels of the respective codes.
And we have you cherry picking the AFL data to suit your purposes.
So there ya have it!!!! Hopefully you'll remember this into the future!!
The great terry has spoken. FMD we can all go home now.

"The great Terry has spoken. FMD we can all go home now!!!

Possibly the smartest thing you have ever said Wookster!!!! Well done pal!!!!

=D =D =D =D =D =D =D =D =D =D =D =D =D =D =D =D
pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

The_Wookie wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:58 am
pussycat wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:39 am

It is definitely part of the ARLC season. All our matches are scheduled around it, all our best players are involved in it. And fan and media attention are squarely centred around it during this period.

Fred you seem to be of the belief that because the AFL only has a club competition in its season everyone else should. Yet you refuse to recognise the 6 or 7 million ratings the Warriors bring into the NRL's club competition each year [-( .
Scheduling doesnt make it part of the Premiership season. Tests are scheduled, rep fixtures are scheduled around it too.

I recognise that NZ has ratings for the NRL, Ill acknowledge what they are when they are actually available.
Where is it written that a sporting season has to be limited to a home and away competition?A premiership season is basically a term used by AFL or a sport that relies on just 1 competition because its all they have . Most Sports, have a season that made up of different events. Cricket has Test matches and One dayers - all part of their season.
These users liked the author pussycat for the post:
leeroy*NRL* (Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:10 pm)

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get, At times I've looked at them and had a giggle." Peter V'Landys
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

I think the nrl season is a comp unto itself... hence the term “most watched sport” which you a free to use of course. But if you want to compare competition to competition then it is the two competitions (nrl and afl). But league v Aussie Rules is different ... comparing codes is okay but that includes all of it not just soo.
Veni, vidi, vici
pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

Yes, different categories. But they all contribute to and affect the regular season!

notaleaguefan
Banned
Team: AFL
Been liked: 25 times

Post by notaleaguefan »

pussycat wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:43 pm
Yes, different categories. But they all contribute to and affect the regular season!
All afl fans read are but but buts

Exactly the same as scheduling effects ratings!
Out side of SOO nothing really rated spectacularly any ways Gollum!
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

Fred wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:03 am
pussycat wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:44 am

So what are the real ratings for the season?
Origin is part of our season. Its the reason why we have the best 6 or 7 players out of our matches during this period

Origin is not part of the nrl premiership season ? It may be part of the rl season along with test matches and other games, but not part of the nrl premiership season.
It is definitely part of the ARLC season. All our matches are scheduled around it, all our best players are involved in it. And fan and media attention are squarely centred around it during this period.

Fred you seem to be of the belief that because the AFL only has a club competition in its season everyone else should. Yet you refuse to recognise the 6 or 7 million ratings the Warriors bring into the NRL's club competition each year [-( .

No, I’m happy for nz rating to be used... but not as a measure of popularity in Australia or which was the highest rating in australia. Which is just common sense
Veni, vidi, vici
pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

What ? Representative football isn't part of our season :hmm: They might be called different things/have different sponsors but that only proves that our season is not just a home and away series.

pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

Fred wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:33 pm
Fred wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:03 am

Origin is not part of the nrl premiership season ? It may be part of the rl season along with test matches and other games, but not part of the nrl premiership season.

No, I’m happy for nz rating to be used... but not as a measure of popularity in Australia or which was the highest rating in australia. Which is just common sense
So are you happy for Origin ratings to be included ? Or are you only prepared to compare the two codes if League is restricted to just 85% of it's ratings???????????????????????

Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

Okay let me say this slowly.

Include Origin when comparing codes. But you also then need to include all other games shown on tv for that code. Hence a code by code comparison when you want to know which code was the most watched.

If you are comparing the nrl premiership season to the afl premiership season then you just compare the two competitions.

Do you understand now.
These users liked the author Fred for the post:
Cats_Steve (Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:43 pm)
Veni, vidi, vici
pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

Comparing the two club competitions is completely unfair and I had every right to bring it up.

As the NZ warriors ratings will, most likely, never be known I think its only fair that our average reflects that. 7.5 matches per week not 8.

But as for the total rating, we have no need to whinge or whine. We're winners ! and will go on winning gold medals just as we do every year!