Fight Club - Football TV Ratings

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
pussycat
Coach
Coach
Posts: 6634
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:50 pm
Team: The Shanghai Sharks
Location: far away
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 32 times

Re: Fight Club - Football TV Ratings

Post by pussycat »

NlolRL wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:50 pm Further on this discussion of FTA scheduling for the AFL vs NRL, the AFL have:
9 Thursday night games
23 Fridays nights
23 Saturdays nights
= 55

while the NRL have https://www.nrl.com/siteassets/2018/10/ ... hedule.pdf:
5 Saturday night games
23 Thursday nights
25 Friday nights
3 SOO
= 56

So the NRL actually have more prime time games in Sydney than the AFL in Melbourne. :wave:
Melbourne also play a game on Wednesday night. But other than that that sounds about right. Though obviously you would need to take into account there day games. The Anzac Game is your highest rating match.

Now that we have that out of the way when are we going to talk about the other 300 + matches in Adelaide, Perth, Sydney and Qld.?
[-(


Rugby League, the dominant force in Australian sport! :cheers:

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get, At times I've looked at them and had a giggle." Peter V'Landys
NlolRL
Coach
Coach
Posts: 7094
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:34 am
Team: Melbourne Demons
Location:
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 122 times

Re: Fight Club - Football TV Ratings

Post by NlolRL »

pussycat wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:48 pm
NlolRL wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:50 pm Further on this discussion of FTA scheduling for the AFL vs NRL, the AFL have:
9 Thursday night games
23 Fridays nights
23 Saturdays nights
= 55

while the NRL have https://www.nrl.com/siteassets/2018/10/ ... hedule.pdf:
5 Saturday night games
23 Thursday nights
25 Friday nights
3 SOO
= 56

So the NRL actually have more prime time games in Sydney than the AFL in Melbourne. :wave:
Melbourne also play a game on Wednesday night. But other than that that sounds about right. Though obviously you would need to take into account there day games. The Anzac Game is your highest rating match.

Now that we have that out of the way when are we going to talk about the other 300 + matches in Adelaide, Perth, Sydney and Qld.?
[-(
According to https://www.afl.com.au/tv-radio/broadcastguide Melbourne only get 14 day games in the first 13 rounds, so they are on target to get around the same number of day games as NRL in Sydney.Therefore it is fair to say Melbourne and Sydney are about on par when it comes to FTA broadcasting.

So now on to the rest. Let's compare Brisbane and Perth directly:

Brisbane get:
-56 prime time games and 25 day games on FTA for a total of 81, all on the primary channel.

Perth get:
- an average of 3.9 FTA games per round (over the first 13 rounds)
- an estimate season total of 90 FTA games (based on first 13 rounds)
- of the 51 FTA games in their first 13 rounds only 5 games (10%) starting after 6pm (prime time) while 46 started prior to 6pm. One was on almost 3 hours delay. 35 of the 51 games (69%) were on 7mate.

So to summarise, Perth get only 9 more FTA AFL games than Brisbane get NRL games over the entire season, however only 10% of Perth's games are prime time compared to 68% for Brisbane, and only 31% are on the main channel compared to 100% for Brisbane.

How do you think they compare? Is an extra 9 FTA games over the season enough to overcome 45 less games in prime time and 62 less games on the main channel over the entire season? :-k


NlolRL
Coach
Coach
Posts: 7094
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:34 am
Team: Melbourne Demons
Location:
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 122 times

Re: Fight Club - Football TV Ratings

Post by NlolRL »

Now for Adelaide vs Brisbane:

Brisbane get:
-56 prime time NRL games and 25 day NRL games on FTA for a total of 81, all on the primary channel.

Adelaide get:
- 51 FTA games in their first 13 rounds for an average of 3.9 FTA games per round and a projected total of 90 FTA games over the season.
- 3 of their first 51 games were shown on delay by nearly 3 hours
- 57% of their FTA games (29/51) were in prime time giving an estimate of only 51 prime time games for the season

So, in summary Adelaide get 9 more FTA games per season but:
- at least 3 of those are on significant delay
- they get 5 less prime time games which obviously rate far higher

So, how do they compare? :-k
These users liked the author NlolRL for the post:
Cats_Steve (Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:47 am)


pussycat
Coach
Coach
Posts: 6634
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:50 pm
Team: The Shanghai Sharks
Location: far away
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 32 times

Re: Fight Club - Football TV Ratings

Post by pussycat »

NlolRL wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:53 am Now for Adelaide vs Brisbane:

Brisbane get:
-56 prime time NRL games and 25 day NRL games on FTA for a total of 81, all on the primary channel.

Adelaide get:
- 51 FTA games in their first 13 rounds for an average of 3.9 FTA games per round and a projected total of 90 FTA games over the season.
- 3 of their first 51 games were shown on delay by nearly 3 hours
- 57% of their FTA games (29/51) were in prime time giving an estimate of only 51 prime time games for the season

So, in summary Adelaide get 9 more FTA games per season but:
- at least 3 of those are on significant delay
- they get 5 less prime time games which obviously rate far higher

So, how do they compare? :-k

I'll assume your right . The numbers mentioned are the same or similar . Doesn't this fly in the face of what you clamed? We get more ratings so where is the magic trick? could it be that we rate better? :cheers:


Rugby League, the dominant force in Australian sport! :cheers:

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get, At times I've looked at them and had a giggle." Peter V'Landys
NlolRL
Coach
Coach
Posts: 7094
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:34 am
Team: Melbourne Demons
Location:
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 122 times

Re: Fight Club - Football TV Ratings

Post by NlolRL »

pussycat wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:12 pm
NlolRL wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:53 am Now for Adelaide vs Brisbane:

Brisbane get:
-56 prime time NRL games and 25 day NRL games on FTA for a total of 81, all on the primary channel.

Adelaide get:
- 51 FTA games in their first 13 rounds for an average of 3.9 FTA games per round and a projected total of 90 FTA games over the season.
- 3 of their first 51 games were shown on delay by nearly 3 hours
- 57% of their FTA games (29/51) were in prime time giving an estimate of only 51 prime time games for the season

So, in summary Adelaide get 9 more FTA games per season but:
- at least 3 of those are on significant delay
- they get 5 less prime time games which obviously rate far higher

So, how do they compare? :-k

I'll assume your right . The numbers mentioned are the same or similar . Doesn't this fly in the face of what you clamed? We get more ratings so where is the magic trick? could it be that we rate better? :cheers:
I personally think the FTA agreements are pretty similar and have said so many times before. The AFL are advantaged by targeting home markets of Adelaide and Perth (Syndey and Brisbane targeting doesnt appear to matter), but Perth's lack of prime time viewing on the primary channel sees them regularly rate poorly in comparison to all other cities. All up, the deals are about on par.

The difference is pretty much entirely due to the scheduling of games on foxtel. The NRL show only 16 hours in isolation over 4 days, averaging 4 hours of easy viewing per day. The AFL show 27 hours over 4 days, and 24 over 3 days, with around 20 of those hours overlapping, and 12 to 15 of those hours on a single day. No AFL fan, even if they have foxtel, can watch more than about 18 hours. This is why the AFL usually rates ahead of the NRL on fox on Thursday and Fridays, but falls well behind on average due to weekend scheduling. Take the difference in averages over an entire season and the cumulative effect is seen as a win for the NRL.

And before you claim the AFL target Friday and have poor games on the weekend, tonight we see Ess v Melb, an average game involving 2 poorly performing clubs, and tomorrow night is the GF rematch. This blockbuster game isnt even shown into every city and competes with another AFL game.


NlolRL
Coach
Coach
Posts: 7094
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:34 am
Team: Melbourne Demons
Location:
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 122 times

Re: Fight Club - Football TV Ratings

Post by NlolRL »

Ratings for the 4th of April:

NRL Metro 448k, Foxtel 251k, regional (estimate) 299 = 998k

AFL Metro 675k, Foxtel 248k, regional (estimate) 225 = 1.148m

5-0 to the AFL


pussycat
Coach
Coach
Posts: 6634
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:50 pm
Team: The Shanghai Sharks
Location: far away
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 32 times

Re: Fight Club - Football TV Ratings

Post by pussycat »

but, but, but


Ratings, scheduling :blahblah: :blahblah: Ratings are for a matches , just like there for a show . 100minute 150m Time has noting to do with it! there all treated the same. The 50miute time difference just means more viewers can tune in. or more viewers can tune out.

Overlapping [-(


Rugby League, the dominant force in Australian sport! :cheers:

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get, At times I've looked at them and had a giggle." Peter V'Landys
NlolRL
Coach
Coach
Posts: 7094
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:34 am
Team: Melbourne Demons
Location:
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 122 times

Re: Fight Club - Football TV Ratings

Post by NlolRL »

pussycat wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:30 pm but, but, but


Ratings, scheduling :blahblah: :blahblah: Ratings are for a matches , just like there for a show . 100minute 150m Time has noting to do with it! there all treated the same. The 50miute time difference just means more viewers can tune in. or more viewers can tune out.

Overlapping [-(
OK, one argument at a time:

Do you think overlapping games has no effect on ratings? Do you think if the NRL showed 2 games at the same time they would both still get around 250k on Fox? :hmm:


User avatar
leeroy*NRL*
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4981
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:54 pm
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Location:
Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 19 times

Re: Fight Club - Football TV Ratings

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

NlolRL wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:44 pm
pussycat wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:30 pm but, but, but


Ratings, scheduling :blahblah: :blahblah: Ratings are for a matches , just like there for a show . 100minute 150m Time has noting to do with it! there all treated the same. The 50miute time difference just means more viewers can tune in. or more viewers can tune out.

Overlapping [-(
OK, one argument at a time:

Do you think overlapping games has no effect on ratings? Do you think if the NRL showed 2 games at the same time they would both still get around 250k on Fox? :hmm:
overlapping does affect figures. though look at saturday's game..

could you imagen the AFL doing what the NRL do and telecast

PORT V LIONS nationally... the figures will be hopeless.


NlolRL
Coach
Coach
Posts: 7094
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:34 am
Team: Melbourne Demons
Location:
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 122 times

Re: Fight Club - Football TV Ratings

Post by NlolRL »

leeroy*NRL* wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:50 pm
NlolRL wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:44 pm
pussycat wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:30 pm but, but, but


Ratings, scheduling :blahblah: :blahblah: Ratings are for a matches , just like there for a show . 100minute 150m Time has noting to do with it! there all treated the same. The 50miute time difference just means more viewers can tune in. or more viewers can tune out.

Overlapping [-(
OK, one argument at a time:

Do you think overlapping games has no effect on ratings? Do you think if the NRL showed 2 games at the same time they would both still get around 250k on Fox? :hmm:
overlapping does affect figures. though look at saturday's game..

could you imagen the AFL doing what the NRL do and telecast

PORT V LIONS nationally... the figures will be hopeless.
But if the Pies v Eagles and the Pies v Lions were played seperately they would rate far higher than playing them together.

EG: Pies v Eagles on fox would rate around 300k on its own. Port v Lions would rate 200k if shown by itself. SHowing them together wont get anywhere over 350k
These users liked the author NlolRL for the post:
Cats_Steve (Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:55 pm)


User avatar
leeroy*NRL*
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4981
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:54 pm
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Location:
Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 19 times

Re: Fight Club - Football TV Ratings

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

NlolRL wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:54 pm
leeroy*NRL* wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:50 pm
NlolRL wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:44 pm OK, one argument at a time:

Do you think overlapping games has no effect on ratings? Do you think if the NRL showed 2 games at the same time they would both still get around 250k on Fox? :hmm:
overlapping does affect figures. though look at saturday's game..

could you imagen the AFL doing what the NRL do and telecast

PORT V LIONS nationally... the figures will be hopeless.
But if the Pies v Eagles and the Pies v Lions were played seperately they would rate far higher than playing them together.

EG: Pies v Eagles on fox would rate around 300k on its own. Port v Lions would rate 200k if shown by itself. SHowing them together wont get anywhere over 350k
on FOX yes... but the FTA kicks in and you get more... overall (only because of FTA)

if it was exclusive to FOX for both games and shown at same time. yes be a huge lost in figures


NlolRL
Coach
Coach
Posts: 7094
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:34 am
Team: Melbourne Demons
Location:
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 122 times

Re: Fight Club - Football TV Ratings

Post by NlolRL »

leeroy*NRL* wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:57 pm
NlolRL wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:54 pm
leeroy*NRL* wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:50 pm

overlapping does affect figures. though look at saturday's game..

could you imagen the AFL doing what the NRL do and telecast

PORT V LIONS nationally... the figures will be hopeless.
But if the Pies v Eagles and the Pies v Lions were played seperately they would rate far higher than playing them together.

EG: Pies v Eagles on fox would rate around 300k on its own. Port v Lions would rate 200k if shown by itself. SHowing them together wont get anywhere over 350k
on FOX yes... but the FTA kicks in and you get more... overall (only because of FTA)

if it was exclusive to FOX for both games and shown at same time. yes be a huge lost in figures
but we are discussing Fox, the FTA discussion has been dealt with. However, you raise one good point. Which would rate higher, showing Pies v eagles nationally on FTA or 3 states getting Pies v eagles and 2 getting Port v Lions?


User avatar
leeroy*NRL*
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4981
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:54 pm
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Location:
Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 19 times

Re: Fight Club - Football TV Ratings

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

NlolRL wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:00 pm
leeroy*NRL* wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:57 pm
NlolRL wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:54 pm
But if the Pies v Eagles and the Pies v Lions were played seperately they would rate far higher than playing them together.

EG: Pies v Eagles on fox would rate around 300k on its own. Port v Lions would rate 200k if shown by itself. SHowing them together wont get anywhere over 350k
on FOX yes... but the FTA kicks in and you get more... overall (only because of FTA)

if it was exclusive to FOX for both games and shown at same time. yes be a huge lost in figures
but we are discussing Fox, the FTA discussion has been dealt with. However, you raise one good point. Which would rate higher, showing Pies v eagles nationally on FTA or 3 states getting Pies v eagles and 2 getting Port v Lions?
yeah ok..

In QLD i think the PIES V EAGLES would rate higher.. prob by about 12k or so.
S.A would get about 70k higher for the PORT game..

so lets say 70k for the game

so you would get a slightly bigger figure for the two games
as you have 4 teams> so supporters of each are watching 2 games..

so you could be looking overall when adding in FOX maybe a 150k Lift at best..

it hurts the AFL when there are 2 good games on at the same time..
this game however is not really a big draw catcher.. and well planned by the AFL


pussycat
Coach
Coach
Posts: 6634
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:50 pm
Team: The Shanghai Sharks
Location: far away
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 32 times

Re: Fight Club - Football TV Ratings

Post by pussycat »

leeroy*NRL* wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:50 pm
NlolRL wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:44 pm
pussycat wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:30 pm but, but, but


Ratings, scheduling :blahblah: :blahblah: Ratings are for a matches , just like there for a show . 100minute 150m Time has noting to do with it! there all treated the same. The 50miute time difference just means more viewers can tune in. or more viewers can tune out.

Overlapping [-(
OK, one argument at a time:

Do you think overlapping games has no effect on ratings? Do you think if the NRL showed 2 games at the same time they would both still get around 250k on Fox? :hmm:
overlapping does affect figures. though look at saturday's game..

could you imagen the AFL doing what the NRL do and telecast

PORT V LIONS nationally... the figures will be hopeless.
We went through this barely two months ago LOL. Showing extra FTA matches on Sat night and on Sunday allow you to target extra home audience.eg . when a Perth team is not playing they average about 60 . when a Perth is playing they average twice that. Ring any bells?


Rugby League, the dominant force in Australian sport! :cheers:

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get, At times I've looked at them and had a giggle." Peter V'Landys
NlolRL
Coach
Coach
Posts: 7094
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:34 am
Team: Melbourne Demons
Location:
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 122 times

Re: Fight Club - Football TV Ratings

Post by NlolRL »

leeroy*NRL* wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:06 pm
NlolRL wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:00 pm
leeroy*NRL* wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:57 pm

on FOX yes... but the FTA kicks in and you get more... overall (only because of FTA)

if it was exclusive to FOX for both games and shown at same time. yes be a huge lost in figures
but we are discussing Fox, the FTA discussion has been dealt with. However, you raise one good point. Which would rate higher, showing Pies v eagles nationally on FTA or 3 states getting Pies v eagles and 2 getting Port v Lions?
yeah ok..

In QLD i think the PIES V EAGLES would rate higher.. prob by about 12k or so.
S.A would get about 70k higher for the PORT game..

so lets say 70k for the game

so you would get a slightly bigger figure for the two games
as you have 4 teams> so supporters of each are watching 2 games..

so you could be looking overall when adding in FOX maybe a 150k Lift at best..

it hurts the AFL when there are 2 good games on at the same time..
this game however is not really a big draw catcher.. and well planned by the AFL
I agree with Brisbane, the Pies v WC game would rate a little higher. However, given Adelaide has 2 clubs I think it would rate about the same or slightly less for the Pies v WC than the power game.

So if the AFL was shown like the NRL the Pies v Eagles game would get 1.2mil from FTA and Fox and 200-250k from a separate telecast of Port v lions. for a total of 1.45mil

Showing them together will get around 800k from the FTA games and 350k frm Fox for a total of 1.15mil. So basically showing them concurrently has lost 300k, or the ratings of a fox game.

Do that multiple times a weekend and the result is millions less over a season


Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 4 guests