Seniors
Team: Geelong
Been liked: 26 times

Slater

Post by Cats_Steve »

A bunch here.

Is Slater going to get off?
Does he deserve to?
I hear the words "future Immortal" but I don't know if that's a Melbourne media beat up.
I've seen a bit of hate for him in the past, is that hate a QLD/NSW thing?
I imagine playing for the Storm contributes...
Is he a "grub" as I see used for Smith. I just assume that means a dirty player.
Will the NRL try bend the rules seeing as it's his last game etc..

Probably looking at you here Leeroy.
Never realised quite how much hate there was for AFL from our Northern friends.
pussycat
Coach
Coach
Team: The Shanghai Sharks
Been liked: 32 times

Re: Slater

Post by pussycat »

???????????????he may get off. But he doesn't deserve to. It was a text book shoulder charge. It wouldn't be fair to others if he did get off.

I don't think there's much hate for Billy or the Storm. They are very successful that might tick some people off. The Storm's defence does have an ugly wrestle style to it .

Go East's
Rugby League, the dominant force in Australian sport! :cheers:

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get, At times I've looked at them and had a giggle." Peter V'Landys
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Post by King-Eliagh »

A decent post with interesting questions Stevie me boy.

I notice you direct your sight to Leeroy assuming he’s the only one who might give you a sensible answer here which is a lil simple of you but well you’ve earnt some of my respect with your fair acknowledgement of the issues the afl has with its lopsided comp so I’ll give you whAt you deserve.

Firstly this post don’t fit fight club guidelines. It belongs in the nrl forum but seeing as tfc is the most popular page in this forum I spose we can let it go can’t we wook? Leeroy? Beaussie?

Perhaps beaussie needs to rethink the site a bit in this regard.

As for Billy I’m almost certain he’ll be protected. He is a grub as is the storm culture. Bellamy Brought with him a raft of subtle cheating tactics that have in my opinion tainted the game. But at the same time you gotta respect billy. He’s the fiercest competitor going, think Ablett junior and Judd. And he’s got the agility and speed of a freakin leopard, still at 35 years of age. Personally Id prefer they let him play. I don’t really care too much tho.... rules are rules so really if they should stick to em and if they do he’s out but imo the shoulder charge should still be allowed and therefore I say let the lil grubby leopard play in his grand finale

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?
Cats_Steve
Seniors
Seniors
Team: Geelong
Been liked: 26 times

Post by Cats_Steve »

I've never looked at the rest of the forum and nobody is saying much else here.

Definitely thought only Leeroy would give a straight answer. Well done to you too good Sir.

It seems that the shoulder charge is a bit like the bump in AFL. A traditionally loved, physical part of the game. Unfortunately the bump's almost been eradicated because of potential resulting injury.

With the bump though, the result of the bump is more important than the impact (unless it's to the head). It's almost too risky to bother.

Shoulder charge - is it something which is just a flat out penalty these days after once being a normal part of the game? Or something which can be used if done correctly..

If Billy gets off and the Storm win, does that just sour everything?
Never realised quite how much hate there was for AFL from our Northern friends.
pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

A bump is something you have in a women's game. A shoulder charge is done with a lot of force and momentum. It 's something that has very little margin for error! It's banned in both league and Union because far to many players were getting back to there feet with broken jaws/ cheekbones or other serious injuries. Billy's wasn't that bad but if your going to outlaw a tackle you can't pick 'n choose.

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get, At times I've looked at them and had a giggle." Peter V'Landys
leeroy*NRL*
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Been liked: 67 times

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

Cats_Steve wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:21 pm
A bunch here.

Is Slater going to get off?
Does he deserve to?
I hear the words "future Immortal" but I don't know if that's a Melbourne media beat up.
I've seen a bit of hate for him in the past, is that hate a QLD/NSW thing?
I imagine playing for the Storm contributes...
Is he a "grub" as I see used for Smith. I just assume that means a dirty player.
Will the NRL try bend the rules seeing as it's his last game etc..

Probably looking at you here Leeroy.
Firstly yes i have moved this article to the NRL page..

is Slater going to get off... >> well we will find out tomorrow.
by the laws of the game, it was a clear shoulder charge.. (did it course injury no)
did it stop a TRY yes.. But for a few years now it has been a penalty and automatic suspension.
does he derserve to, by rule yes, by fan no.

to highlight Pussycats comment>> there is a difference between a hip and shoulder in AFL
and a shoulder charge in rugby league.

as a rugby league fan i wish they did not get rid of the shoulder charge>>
but if it went horribly wrong (player is suspended for 4 weeks)
where as before they got nothing for breaking someones Jaw..

the NRL kinda went from one extreme to another>>

hes a great player.. but as stated before Melbourne have brought in a few tactics to rugby league
which i never wish they did.. and they do it well..

No Slater this week, doesn't necessary mean Storm lose..

Sydney Roosters have a few problems themselves with
Cooper Cronk Injured (in doubt) and Jake Friend there Hooker facing suspension.

Interesting week ahead
pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

Sounds very much like an AFL decision. Logic and common sense have gone out the window and we will all live happily ever after.