Carlingford teen a symbol of Giants' incursion into the west

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

Following in the footsteps of Nick Shipley. Great news on the footy development front in western Sydney. :thumbleft:
By Andrew Wu
7 July 2018

As a young child, Kieren Briggs would watch league on TV with his father and mix football with athletics. He supported the Roosters in the NRL and Sydney FC in the A-League. He knew very little about AFL.

"As most kids do in western Sydney, it was either soccer or rugby league," said Briggs, 18, who grew up in Carlingford.

Briggs did not play the game until he was 11 when a good friend asked him to fill in for the local team, the Pennant Hill Demons. He figures he had seen "one or two games".

When Sydney stars Jarrad McVeigh and Kieren Jack returned to their junior club to take training one day Briggs had no idea who they were.

Next year, he could be on the field with them. Briggs is considered by recruiters as near certain to being drafted after being named ruckman in the Under 18 All Australian team. He also has the competitive nature and physicality that talent scouts look for in a big man.

If the Giants call his name out, he will join fellow western Sydney teenager Nick Shipley on the club's list, in what would be a massive shot in the arm for the game in the region.

It's people like Briggs who the AFL were targeting when they added the Giants to the competition.

"It was when the Giants came in that I followed the sport," Briggs told Fairfax Media. "I was 12,13 when the Academy started. I supported the Giants from there."

If the Giants call his name out, he will join fellow western Sydney teenager Nick Shipley on the club's list, in what would be a massive shot in the arm for the game in the region.

Jeremy Cameron is one of his favourite players, which in itself is a sign of the small steps the code is making in foreign territory.

He now watches more matches on TV to help with his "footy IQ". His father has come around to the sport as well.

Briggs gave up soccer when he was "12 or 13", not long after his first game with the Demons. He liked playing but as "most decent soccer" is played in the early hours of the morning he did not watch much.

Something had to give from his crammed schedule, which included two nights of AFL training, two nights of soccer, school sport on a Friday plus more matches on the weekend.

His decision was made easier when one of his soccer coaches asked him: "If you don't like watching soccer, then why are you playing it?"

"So I said, 'Alright, then I'll stop playing it'," Briggs recalled.

"He was one of those rep coaches who said you should love soccer and yada, yada, yada. I chose AFL because I liked it more."

Despite being a promising shot-putter and discus-thrower, he gave up athletics at 16 as football had become his passion.

"I just wanted to have a crack at AFL," Briggs said.

Briggs was not picked for the national under-18 carnival last year when he was juggling football with year 12. He has made huge strides this year after deferring the start of his construction management and law degree so he could devote himself to pursuing his AFL dream.

It has given Briggs, who works part-time as a supervisor at Coles, plenty of time to work on his game at the Giants Academy with head coach Jason Saddington.

The draft prospect is building a solid CV. He has spent the past two seasons playing for the Giants' reserves team in the NEAFL as a forward/ruck. Last year, he was a 17-year-old ruckman in the Pennant Hills team which claimed the flag in Sydney's premier division.

Shipley's drafting by the Giants, Briggs said, made him believe he could make it as well.

"It made it a reality that kids from western Sydney can end up on AFL lists," Briggs said. "It's a possibility, just put everything into it and anything can happen and hopefully it happens at the end of the year."

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/afl/carlin ... 4zq4b.html
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach
Team: The Scottish Puffins
Been liked: 75 times

Re: Carlingford teen a symbol of Giants' incursion into the west

Post by AFLcrap1 »

Oh dear .
One unco kid not talented enough to play real games ..out of a population of 2 million is a sign of incursion .
How's simple are afl fans to lap up the propaganda .
I know a silly question .
Look at Beas record of thread starting .
TLPG 🤣liar extraordinaire
You should thank me for publishing your IP

and I never published any actual IP. That's it.
🤣
I was a mod at the time .
Xman wrote
I also gave them to TLPG believing he was still a mod.I admit I made a mistake.
:^o :^o
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach

Post by AFLcrap1 »

Lol Andrew Wu
Aflol journo trying to make the midgets look relevant in Syd .
Go hard son

🤣
Xman wrote
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

AFLcrap1 wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:01 am
Oh dear .
One unco kid not talented enough to play real games ..out of a population of 2 million is a sign of incursion .
Just how many Victorian kids have made NRL level? Hmmm :(/
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach

Post by AFLcrap1 »

Beaussie wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:07 am
Oh dear .
A couple
But then RL doesn't post absolute propaganda like this .
Incursion!!!
Lol just lol
We don't need to feed the insular bubble dwellers absolutely rubbish because we live in the real world
One skinny hat rack & you're getting all excited .
Why doesn't that surprise me .

🤣
Xman wrote
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

AFLcrap1 wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:16 am
Beaussie wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:07 am
Oh dear .
A couple
Oh yeah? Who?

After all these years of Storm success and what 2 decades of Victorian development you have a couple? Oh dear :(/
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach

Post by AFLcrap1 »

Been posted before
If you didn't run & hide afterposting your rot on here you might get an education .

🤣
Xman wrote
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Post by King-Eliagh »

“One skinny hat rack” :lol:

Beaussie what ever happened to all the.Tonga juniors all them years ago when you found a similar article touting the mass numbers of Tongan youth turning to afl footy? :(/

But in al seriousness it’s just common sense to play this one down. It’s fair to argue that Sydney has way better athletes all round than Melbourne. It’s just that Sydney is a bigger city and it has much more conducive conditions to getting outside and being active. Melbourne has a climate like Europe, great for those who like to paint things like bowls of fruit but not so good if you wanna learn skills like catching a footy and kicking straight if you get my drift.

So good on the lad I say. There’ll be a few more to come but it’ll be few and far between even with the level of competition in the afl dropping dramatically as it is. And GWS will never produce the amount of local quality that tassie or Darwin can, with far less population. Never.

The gws experiment - It’s been a disastrous waste of money from the get go when Izzy laced up the boots to smash a few Aussie rules players before leaving with millions. Darwin and tassie were the wise choice. But we’re talking the afl administration here.

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

King-Eliagh wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:26 pm
And GWS will never produce the amount of local quality that tassie or Darwin can, with far less population. Never.
You fool. Clearly you know nothing about footy. NSW produced 7 AFL draft picks last season. Tasmania just one. That one pick being after zero, yep zero the year before.

Wake up dummy. You know nothing about Australia’s game.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

AFLcrap1 wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:36 am
Been posted before
Career already over I take it? What was it... one player after all these years of Storm dominance and millions of NRL development dollars? Oh dear, no wonder you don’t want to bring that subject up. :(/
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

Beaussie wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:42 pm
And GWS will never produce the amount of local quality that tassie or Darwin can, with far less population. Never.
You fool. Clearly you know nothing about footy. NSW produced 7 AFL draft picks last season. Tasmania just one. That one pick being after zero, yep zero the year before.

:lol: finally beaussie is fired up and shooting back rather than running for the hillls!

While you’re at it beaussie can you have a full swing at the Tonga part of my post? :(/

Ok whilst having played for numerous seasons I must suggest to you I know more about footy than you dear beaussie. However you may know more about where afl football players are recruited from so happy to give you the tassie point. Though you have told many porkies on here before so I’d like some evidence first.

I’m right about Darwin tho ain’t I? :cool:

xman wrote:
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

Actually for fukks sake I said gws not NSW beaussie you lying clown!

I was never talking about nsw versus Tasmania. And you knew it you nasty nasty man! :lol:

Everyone, please beware of beaussie and read his posts carefully. He’ll go to any lengths to protect the image of the afls shoddy expansion into Sydney. Lies and all!

:lol:

xman wrote:
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

Wrong again KE.

Northern Territory 2
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-dr ... 9a8ae85518
Terry
Coach
Coach
Team: Wests Tigers
Been liked: 163 times

Post by Terry »

King-Eliagh wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:53 pm

:lol: finally beaussie is fired up and shooting back rather than running for the hillls!

While you’re at it beaussie can you have a full swing at the Tonga part of my post? :(/

Ok whilst having played for numerous seasons I must suggest to you I know more about footy than you dear beaussie. However you may know more about where afl football players are recruited from so happy to give you the tassie point. Though you have told many porkies on here before so I’d like some evidence first.

I’m right about Darwin tho ain’t I? :cool:

Wow!!!! Finally in this annus horribilis for the fumbling game Beatup has dared to lift his head above the parapet and have a crack lolololololol!!!!!! Welcome back my quivering friend lololololol!!!!

Let this be a lesson to Freddo, Wookie, Swannie and the rest of the crew hiding in the jungle...….when your game is broken & begging for support it's time to stand and fight lolololololololololo!!!!! And what a great post!!!!!

I think it's great Gilty and the boys (sans chasing junior female staffers) will spend hundreds of millions of dollars - enough to finance a small country - to secure 2...…..yep 2......possible, maybe, potentially, could be, here's hoping, will be good propaganda anyway, 'recruits' from western Sydney lololololololololoool.

These 2 kids have been thrown a lifeline by the Australian Fumbling League. What a tremendous organisation. They've got 2 kids that couldn't make it in any other sport at any reasonable level but now have a chance to be 'professional athletes'. Whooshka……….how easy was that!!!!!! Take a bow Gilty!!!!!

I look forward to your continued post's Beatup. And can you get your mate Wookie to update us on the tv ratings situation. The silence is deafening.....and telling.......and cowardly......!!!!!!
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach

Post by AFLcrap1 »

Lol talk about avoidance
We are talking WS
Not NSW .
Wow the usual crap from you .

🤣
Xman wrote