NRL vs AFL - the sportsmen and athletes thread

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
NlolRL
Coach
Coach
Team: Melbourne Demons
Been liked: 136 times

Re: NRL vs AFL - the sportsmen and athletes thread

Post by NlolRL »

pussycat wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:41 pm
NlolRL wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:01 pm
pussycat wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:48 pm
He began his carer playing rugby league. He was an elite athlete when he moved to Melbourne.
:lol: :lol:
He played RL in under 8's and 10's while his father played for Newcastle NBL team. He then moved to Melbourne and Ben played Aussie rules. He still follows Essendon in Aussie rules. He's been quoted as saying that Aussie Rules helped develop him as an NBA star. He brought an aussie rules football out at NBA training to show the US players how to use it.

Yet you think his stint in RL under the age of 10 was the reason..... :(/ :(/ :(/
After trying to get away with telling half the story your now trying to make out he became a elite athlete after he turned 10 and moved to Melbourne [-( you have serious problems.

By the way LOL what's your Opinion of Damien monkhurst?
no one becomes an elite athlete after playing 3 seasons of any sport by 10 years of age! FFS he hadnt even gone through puberty!

You're hilarious :(/

Simmons has said himself that playing Aussie rules helped his development as an NBA star. I didnt say it, he did, SO suck it up princess.
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Post by King-Eliagh »

The answers are often found in the subtext :lol:

My favourite bit about ben Simmons commentary was from a 'pro' Aussie rules player.
He was an absolute freak. He could jump. He could run. He could kick. He honestly would've been a top-five draft pick had he stuck with football
Yep :lol: quite telling isn't it :(/ having gone from league soccer and basketball to Aussie rules I can honestly say if you can do these three elementary skills ...? You're gonna have big success in Aussie rules :lol: catching is optional as the fumble is ok in Aussie rules :lol:

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?
Pete_2211
Rookie
Rookie
Team: Brisbane Lions
Been liked: 0

Post by Pete_2211 »

If you can run into people & fall over you can be a great Rugby player! AHAHAHAHAHA
pussycat
Coach
Coach
Team: The Shanghai Sharks
Been liked: 32 times

Post by pussycat »

NlolRL wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:50 pm
pussycat wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:41 pm
NlolRL wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:01 pm
:lol: :lol:
He played RL in under 8's and 10's while his father played for Newcastle NBL team. He then moved to Melbourne and Ben played Aussie rules. He still follows Essendon in Aussie rules. He's been quoted as saying that Aussie Rules helped develop him as an NBA star. He brought an aussie rules football out at NBA training to show the US players how to use it.

Yet you think his stint in RL under the age of 10 was the reason..... :(/ :(/ :(/
After trying to get away with telling half the story your now trying to make out he became a elite athlete after he turned 10 and moved to Melbourne [-( you have serious problems.

By the way LOL what's your Opinion of Damien monkhurst?
no one becomes an elite athlete after playing 3 seasons of any sport by 10 years of age! FFS he hadnt even gone through puberty!

You're hilarious :(/

Simmons has said himself that playing Aussie rules helped his development as an NBA star. I didnt say it, he did, SO suck it up princess.

So was it : he played a few years of AFL (also) or maybe it was because he was a fan of AFL that made him such a brilliant athlete?
](*,)
Rugby League, the dominant force in Australian sport! :cheers:

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get, At times I've looked at them and had a giggle." Peter V'Landys
NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

Well he has credited his aussie rules days, so there you go.

He was also exposed to both sports yet has remained an AFL fan
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

NlolRL wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:04 pm
Well he has credited his aussie rules days, so there you go.

He was also exposed to both sports yet has remained an AFL fan
:roll: as tho he knows how Simmons thinks and what code he values. How lamo :roll:

xman wrote:
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

Pete_2211 wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:34 am
If you can run into people & fall over you can be a great Rugby player! AHAHAHAHAHA
Are you talking about the skill of tackling? A skill many an afl player struggles with ?? You know, the skill afl clubs often pay rugby league ex players and coaches to teach em how to do?? :lol:

xman wrote:
Pete_2211
Rookie
Rookie
Team: Brisbane Lions
Been liked: 0

Post by Pete_2211 »

There is no skill in tackling someone running straight at you. Do u have to be tough & strong yes but to call it skillfull is a bit silly don't you reckon Kingy me boy!
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

Pete_2211 wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:38 pm
There is no skill in tackling someone running straight at you. Do u have to be tough & strong yes but to call it skillfull is a bit silly don't you reckon Kingy me boy!
:(/

Clearly you've never learnt how to tackle Pete! :lol: and it's no wonder the afl lads need coaching! Come to think of it tackling was never anything that was drilled or taught during my years playing marngrook. Strange that as it's a major part of the game, quite dumb not to drill it.

Anyway Pete there's many different techniques to the skill of tackling. Shoulder and head positioning are vital for your own safety and for effective tackling. Timing is also a major part of the skill. ;)

xman wrote:
pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

100 interchanges , 40minutes of rest -mmh must be exhausting stuff even for elite athletes :(/ :(/ :(/ :(/ :(/ :(/ :(/ :(/ :(/ :(/ :(/ :(/

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get, At times I've looked at them and had a giggle." Peter V'Landys
NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

pussycat wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:48 pm
He began his carer playing rugby league. He was an elite athlete when he moved to Melbourne.

asked how he handled the physicality of the NBA final today Simmons replies he loves it because he played Aussie rules and was used to a physical game.

Noticed he said absolutely nothing about RL :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: <>' <>' <>'
NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

100 interchanges I kid you not :(/ :(/ :(/ :(/ :(/ :(/ :(/

AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach
Team: The Scottish Puffins
Been liked: 75 times

Post by AFLcrap1 »

Once again ....RL players are looked at as being able to play ..actually get out amongst it onfield .

2 players drafted .
One as a punter ..run on kick ..run off .
Guess which sport that one come from ..lol

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/04/29/jor ... ia-eagles/

What started as a back-up plan to an NRL contract with South Sydney this season has resulted in former Rabbitohs under 20s prop Jordan Mailata being selected in the NFL draft by Super Bowl champions Philadelphia Eagles.

Mailata, who is 200cm and weighs 160kg, was chosen by the Eagles as the 233rd overall pick in the seventh round of the NFL draft at the Dallas Cowboys' AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas on Sunday.

Despite never having played American football, Mailata's size and athleticism impressed Philadelphia offensive line coach Jeff Stoutland, and his rugby league background has generated interest in NFL circles following Jarryd Hayne's stint with San Francisco 49ers.
TLPG 🤣liar extraordinaire
You should thank me for publishing your IP

and I never published any actual IP. That's it.
🤣
I was a mod at the time .
Xman wrote
I also gave them to TLPG believing he was still a mod.I admit I made a mistake.
:^o :^o
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

Yep his “size and athleticism impressed”. Not something one afl player has ever been able to do to an nfl coach :lol: the best the afl could offer is buddy Franklin. No offence guys but Nfl coaches would laugh at buddy :lol: they’d say “that guy’s too slow, he’s too small, and by jingoes he’s far too weak”

:lol:

xman wrote: