Re: 2017 - AFL / AFLW - Australian Football TV Ratings

AFL football TV ratings and discussion.
SportFan
Reserves
Reserves
Team: Essendon
Been liked: 0

Re: 2017 - Australian Football TV Ratings - AFL, AFL Womens etc (Rolling updates in OP)

Post by SportFan »

The VFL is niche these days, pulls a bigger audience than rival programs in its weekend afternoon slots, but only minuscule.

Compared to Sunday Football (AFL) on Seven which averages around 250k in Melbourne with probably another 65-75k in regional VIC 😂
NlolRL
Coach
Coach
Team: Melbourne Demons
Been liked: 136 times

Re: 2017 - Australian Football TV Ratings - AFL, AFL Womens etc (Rolling updates in OP)

Post by NlolRL »

pussycat wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:45 pm
NlolRL wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:35 pm
#AFLNorthTigers 📺 ratings
•TOTAL: 979k
•Nat: 739k
-5 city: 529k
>SYD:22k
>MEL: 326k
>BRI:25k
>ADE: 91k
>PER: 65k
-Reg: 210k
•Fox: 240k

Well look at that. A single game on Saturday night rates just under a million. Compare that to our usual two games which rate just over 1mil. So yesterday's average was 979k and every Saturday night with concurrent games averages around 500k per game. Imagine how far we would win by if all our games were shown in isolation

Previous Saturday
: 5 city = 709k. 180k more when you show matches into there own market.

[/b]Sat TV #AFL #AFLTigersDons Seven Mel 372k, 7mate Syd 29k Bri 30k

Sat TV #AFL #AFLCrowsFreo Seven Ade 175k, 7mate Per 103k

You have just but but butted your way into disproving your own point.
hardly. There were two games that evening so the average per game would be well below the single game average on Saturday. This only proves my point
pussycat
Coach
Coach
Team: The Shanghai Sharks
Been liked: 32 times

Post by pussycat »

You were the one comparing the two rounds, now your saying there hardly the same.

Last week had two matches shown into respective and FTA was 180k more than with all markets watching a single game . Maybe just a coincidence, maybe not.

Last weeks Saturday night match.

Crows v Freemantle - shown into Perth and Adelaide
Richmond v Essendon - Shown into Mebourne

So last week Saturday night game. Two half games added together and shown into there own markets get 180k more than one full game shown into just one market.

How in the hell does it prove your point :hmm:
Rugby League, the dominant force in Australian sport! :cheers:

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get, At times I've looked at them and had a giggle." Peter V'Landys
pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

Its not 2 games added together its two half games

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get, At times I've looked at them and had a giggle." Peter V'Landys
NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

pussycat wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:01 pm
You were the one comparing the two rounds, now your saying there hardly the same.

Last week had two matches shown into respective and FTA was 180k more than with all markets watching a single game . Maybe just a coincidence, maybe not.

Last weeks Saturday night match.

Crows v Freemantle - shown into Perth and Adelaide
Richmond v Essendon - Shown into Mebourne

So last week Saturday night game. Two half games added together and shown into there own markets get 180k more than one full game shown into just one market.

How in the hell does it prove your point :hmm:
Im not saying concurrent games into multiple markets wont increase ratings :roll:

Im saying concurrent games halve the rating averages, so any increase is more than accounted for because the total ratings are divided by 2. Eg: last week 2 games rated 1.1m total for 550k each. On Saturday a single game targeting one market averaged 975k

Concurrent games helps ratings but doesnt help ratings averages, it greatly decreases them
pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

You have sold 4 FTA matches to Ch7 not 8. It simply a way of maximising your ratings for the 4 FTA matches.

Perth , Melbourne, South Australia may not all be able to watch the same match . They may lose some viewers, but they gain more.

It wont suit everyone . The AFL/Ch 7 will lose some ratings because a Perth viewer wants to watch the Melbourne match or vice - versa but in the end they gain more viewers than they lose.

NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

pussycat wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:40 pm
You have sold 4 FTA matches to Ch7 not 8. It simply a way of maximising your ratings for the 4 FTA matches.

Perth , Melbourne, South Australia may not all be able to watch the same match . They may lose some viewers, but they gain more.

It wont suit everyone . The AFL/Ch 7 will lose some ratings because a Perth viewer wants to watch the Melbourne match or vice - versa but in the end they gain more viewers than they lose.
yes, overall they gain some viewers on FTA. But often the better match isnt shown to the home state. I realise we dont have 8 games on FTA, but we lose out big time by showing them at the same time, thats if you take averages only in to account
pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

NlolRL wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:46 pm
pussycat wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:40 pm

yes, overall they gain some viewers on FTA. But often the better match isnt shown to the home state. I realise we dont have 8 games on FTA, but we lose out big time by showing them at the same time, thats if you take averages only in to account

You don't lose. If They did it wouldn't be done this way.

A Perth team shown into Perth gets (120-150 or whatever) If there watching two Melbourne teams or Adelaide teams(60-90k). They might lose 10 or 20k but there picking up 60 or 70k.

SportFan
Reserves
Reserves
Team: Essendon
Been liked: 0

Post by SportFan »

Something interesting I hadn't picked-up on 🤔

Wookie can probably confirm...

[OVERNIGHT DATA ONLY]

•2012 AFL GF Presentations actually rated HIGHER than last year.

2012:
4.257m (national) / 3.197m (5 city) / 1.061m (national)

vs.

2016: 4.110m (national) / 3.120m (5 city) / 990k (regional)

BUT...

•The actual game (GF) was reversed, with last year rating higher than 2012, being the biggest in a decade (since 2006).

2012:
4.053m (national) / 2.937m (5 city metro) / 1.116m (regional)

vs.

2016:
4.089m (national) / 3.039m (5 city metro) / 1.051m (regional).

-------------------------

Analysis of the above, shows:

•Larger Sydney audience for 2012 game & presentations (Swans won the GF)

•But oddly, a drop in regional viewers for 2012 presentations (from the game), signalling a drop in regional VIC viewers most likely.

•Larger Melbourne audience watching 2016 game & presentations (Bulldogs winning the fairytale).

•But oddly, again, same scenario for regional (this time regional NSW dropping off).

So looking at all this, why did last year's GAME rate HIGHER than 2012, under very similar combined (Melbourne + Sydney) audiences?

Because the combined Brisbane + Adelaide + Perth audience was significantly higher last year, than in 2012.

Signalling that most across Australia, were more interested in watching a GF where a team might break a 62 year drought! Of course 😁
pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

Yes, Melbournians must love there presentations, there pretend Australian Teams and all the glitz and glamour that goes with it. Because the game itself is as boring as batshit.

NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

pussycat wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:14 pm
Yes, Melbournians must love there presentations, there pretend Australian Teams and all the glitz and glamour that goes with it. Because the game itself is as boring as batshit.
tossball needs rep games for people to show up. Anything less is widely ignored by toss fans
pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

Rep football is just Rugby League. The best players are selected. Just Like your mob do, but we don't have to make believe and pretend like you fumblers.

NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

we dont need to, we get great interest i our national comp
pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

Your club comp is all you have. I'm not saying that's a bad thing but it only makes up about 80% of our season. If Rugby League never had, the more popular rep football and had our full focus on club football the way you do. Then the way we done things would change, and so would fans attitude. If the best they had to focus on was Parramatta v Melbourne. We might even have to consider introducing a wildcard to get some interest back into the tail end of our season. :cheers:

AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach
Team: The Scottish Puffins
Been liked: 75 times

Post by AFLcrap1 »

pussycat wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:17 pm
Your club comp is all you have. I'm not saying that's a bad thing but it only makes up about 80% of our season. If Rugby League never had, the more popular rep football and had our full focus on club football the way you do. Then the way we done things would change, and so would fans attitude. If the best they had to focus on was Parramatta v Melbourne. We might even have to consider introducing a wildcard to get some interest back into the tail end of our season. :cheers:
:(/ :(/ :(/ :(/
Wildcard.
:(/ :(/ :(/ :(/ :(/
TLPG 🤣liar extraordinaire
You should thank me for publishing your IP

and I never published any actual IP. That's it.
🤣
I was a mod at the time .
Xman wrote
I also gave them to TLPG believing he was still a mod.I admit I made a mistake.
:^o :^o