AFL football TV ratings and discussion.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

GWS Giants demand TV prime time exposure on Friday nights

Post by Beaussie »

Sellout crowd and increasing tv ratings even beating the NRL. Way to go Giants. =D>
GWS Giants demand TV prime time exposure on Friday nights
June 15, 2016 8:50am
Ben Horne

The Daily Telegraph

GWS have declared they are ready for the bright lights of prime time television and will push the AFL to unleash them on Friday night footy.

Not only are the Giants starting to put more bums on seats, TV eyeballs are also starting to tune into the game’s rising premiership force.

Figures reveal the orange army in the great West are enjoying their highest-rating season ever on Fox Footy, and the blockbuster against the Swans was not only a Spotless Stadium sellout but Sunday’s most-watched program nationally on pay TV.

Giants chief executive David Matthews insists supporter base size should have no impact on which teams receive the plum slots on Channel 7 and Fox.

GWS are hoping to make their Friday night debut in a final-round, finals-eve blockbuster away to ladder leaders North Melbourne later this year, but Matthews says the ­Giants will be lobbying the AFL hard for Friday Night Lights at Spotless Stadium next season.

“I think it’s a realistic aim,” Matthews said.

“It’s regarded as one of the key slots both by broadcasters and clubs and in many ways you’ve got to earn the right to play on Fridays.

“We’ll continue to push for opportunities on Friday night football. We think twilight (matches are also) a good slot both in terms of attendance and TV viewership. It’s probably our natural timeslot.

“We’re thrilled with the figures so far. I don’t think it’s about whether you’re 100 years old or five years old, it’s what sort of footy you’re playing. We’d love to get a Friday night game.”

With an average Fox audience of 236,000 viewers this year, the Giants are up 23 per cent on last year’s viewership and counting.

The 336,000 audience they pulled against Geelong two weeks ago is the club’s greatest ratings success.

The Giants’ landmark victory over the Swans, described by Heath Shaw as the most significant in the club’s history, was Fox’s No.2-rating twilight match of the season with 250,000 viewers and the second-most watched Sydney derby of all time, pipped only by the Giants’ very first match in the competition in 2012.

It also comfortably beat its main competition, the Manly and Penrith NRL match on Fox, which had 126,000 watching on pay TV.

Matthews said the players deserve enormous credit for producing an entertaining style of footy that has the club in sixth place and almost certain of a maiden finals appearance.

“There’s an acceleration in so many areas of the club,” he said.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 6a164692dd
SportFan
Reserves
Reserves
Team: Essendon
Been liked: 0

Re: GWS Giants demand TV prime time exposure on Friday nights

Post by SportFan »

Hello everyone :)

I'm new here.

I think GWS have a case (which has since been answered for 2017).

GWS vs. Western Bulldogs preliminary final was the highest-rating non-Grand Final AFL game since 2007.

With record Foxtel ratings (in fact, the highest-rating Foxtel program for 2016 & one of the biggest ever).

Absolutely huge result for the AFL, Channel Seven & both GWS / Western Bulldogs.

Thoughts?
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

I now want to see Channel 7 move the games involving the Swans and Giants from 7mate to their primary channel in NSW/ACT. As we saw during the finals, there is a bigger market to tap into there. And if you look at 7's ratings throughout the year on Saturday nights etc, you'll see footy rates just as well in Sydney.
SportFan
Reserves
Reserves

Post by SportFan »

Beaussie wrote:
I now want to see Channel 7 move the games involving the Swans and Giants from 7mate to their primary channel in NSW/ACT. As we saw during the finals, there is a bigger market to tap into there. And if you look at 7's ratings throughout the year on Saturday nights etc, you'll see footy rates just as well in Sydney.
This is true :)

Comparitively speaking, the ratings on 7Mate (multi-channels have small shares and ratings proportuonally), compared to main channel.

Sydney Swans / GWS finals were aired on the primary channel & rated between 100-200k, which for a declining TV environment & when they're usually on 7Mate is very impressive.

Remember, the ~1m Sydney people that tuned into the 2005 AFL Grand Final remains a record.

Whilst heaps of people across NSW & QLD follow Australian Rules Football, there's always still lots of work to be done in Rugby heartland.

--

But that doesn't even matter...

The biggest challenge in Australian sport (as I see it), is:

•No NRL team in Perth
•No NRL team in Adelaide
•Only 1 NRL team in Melbourne
•Big pressure from AFL (as has been for years already) in Sydney & Brisbane, with major success already (2001-2003 & 2005/2012 respectively).
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach
Team: The Scottish Puffins
Been liked: 75 times

Post by AFLcrap1 »

Lol
How do those BIG PRESENCE teams rate .

How do GWS rate in SYD.
Take the focus off the ordinary ratings by crowing about a Finals game
Lol
Very very predictable
TLPG 🤣liar extraordinaire
You should thank me for publishing your IP

and I never published any actual IP. That's it.
🤣
I was a mod at the time .
Xman wrote
I also gave them to TLPG believing he was still a mod.I admit I made a mistake.
:^o :^o
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

Giants tv ratings improved greatly throughout this season hence the move of finals games to the primary channel. Like I said, looking at average audience numbers on Channel 7 for Saturday nights etc, throughout the season, footy rates well in comparison.
SportFan
Reserves
Reserves

Post by SportFan »

Put it this way, if GWS weren't becoming a success & didn't have any followers...

They wouldn't have scored the highest-rating non-Grand Final game since 2007 & nearly made it into the Grand Final ;)
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach
Team: The Scottish Puffins
Been liked: 75 times

Post by AFLcrap1 »

Lol you avoided my post
Why
TLPG 🤣liar extraordinaire
You should thank me for publishing your IP

and I never published any actual IP. That's it.
🤣
I was a mod at the time .
Xman wrote
I also gave them to TLPG believing he was still a mod.I admit I made a mistake.
:^o :^o